Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4.8 Knard?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hey, hey now! Don't be picking on my Pammy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/cyclehaven

Call this place. He has em.
    Thanks for the heads up, ordered myself a pair this morning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Just received this email from QBP:

"Greetings,

TR0130, Surly Knard 26x4.8" 120tpi Folding Bead Tire is in stock and available for purchase! We received 1 in the warehouse(s) you selected.

Below are any notes you may have entered about this product:

Regards,

Your friends at QBP."

With 1 tire in inventory it sold out quick.

mtbr member

Wolf-Man's got Knards!

4.8 Knard?-myknards.jpg
    Last edited by ShredMaster; 04-08-2015 at 03:45 PM.

mtbr member
    I got the last pair from Haven Cycles (mentioned above) after my LBS was unable to get them from QBP/Surly.

Really excited to get them. I've enjoyed riding my fatbike on dry dirt trails ever since our snow disappeared. I really hope the knards will roll a bit faster than Bud/Lou with Holy Rolling Darryls.

Planning to switch to tubeless as well for the summer.

Does anyone have weights on these yet? 4.8 120tpi... Thought I saw 1385 posted somewhere, but can't find that again.

mtbr member
    The shop name is Cycle Haven. I'm glad it is a local shop for me. Couldn't find these anywhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Mine weigh 1390 and 1400...

mtbr member
    Received mine two days ago. 1462 and 1463 grams.

Spun very round when mounted, its a well made tire for sure.

I was super disappointed by the horrible self steer from the front. anywhere 6-10psi would yank the bars around as the bike leaned. With pressures higher than that, I'd rather be on a different bike.

I gave it a few short rides on mixed terrain and a 20+mile ride on dry hardpacked singletrack. After the long ride I immediately ripped the front tire off and put the 4.8 Bud back on. The Knard rear/Bud front combo seems like a keeper.

I really thought self steer was a myth. I'm a believer now.
    Last edited by Pritchett; 04-16-2015 at 09:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    what size rim did you mount them on? i had the knard 3.8 on my moonlander and never noticed any self steer issues but the drop in bb height was a deal breaker for them,been not so patiently waiting for the 4.8's for a while now...

mtbr member
    Put my new 4.8 knards on my Blackborow last nite. Looking forward to testing it on some singletrack this weekend. According to my bathroom scale it dropped my total bike weight 2 lbs.

mtbr member
    Mine were mounted on Rolling Darryls with tubes. I know there are a lot of factors working together to create the weird steering feeling. The bike handles very well and very predictably with a Bud on the front. I was very uncomfortable pushing the bike fast through turns with the Knard.

I was happy to discover that I could ride my fatty just as hard as my regular trail bike with a bud/lou. I was hoping for something a little faster with the Knards, but can't handle the goofy front end characteristics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Does anyone know if QBP is sold out of the 4.8" Knard? I can't find any in the country including my LBS which claims they are on order. They've been on order since 4-1-15...

Thanks!

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ford View Post
    Does anyone know if QBP is sold out of the 4.8" Knard? I can't find any in the country including my LBS which claims they are on order. They've been on order since 4-1-15...

Thanks!
    QBP is out, I believe they came in on the 1st and sold out in a day. Maybe Mike C ended up with a few extra.
    Lace Mine 29 - Big Bicycle Wheels

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thank you.

mtbr member
    I'm interested in any other user experiences - particularly on 100mm rims. How's the self-steer? Is it prone to washing out on sandy turns? Better or worse than Bud for not slipping on dicey bends?

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nuru nuru View Post
    I'm interested in any other user experiences - particularly on 100mm rims. How's the self-steer? Is it prone to washing out on sandy turns? Better or worse than Bud for not slipping on dicey bends?

Cheers!

I just put a set on my Blabkborow with clownshoes. Did about 12 miles of single track yesterday and didn't notice too much self steer. Ran about 8.5 front and 10.5 on rear. Seems to roll much faster than with Lou's u had on. Could just lean in on those sharp speed curves and it would just grip and go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edved37 View Post
    I just put a set on my Blabkborow with clownshoes. Did about 12 miles of single track yesterday and didn't notice too much self steer. Ran about 8.5 front and 10.5 on rear. Seems to roll much faster than with Lou's u had on. Could just lean in on those sharp speed curves and it would just grip and go.
    Good to hear! I was thinking I might not want to sacrifice the grip of Bud up front, but then Bud started slipping out on me on a particularly dusty turn yesterday, and I wondered whether the Knard might actually have better grip in those conditions.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Sooo....Is there a consensus on where these 4.8 knards are in their element? HELP, please!

I need a tire for my "all around, pick it up and ride" fat bike:
    3 seasons (spring/summer/fall)
    Northeast US (beach/rocks/roots/road - don't want self steer)
    80mm-100mm wheels
    Bluto suspension
    Lighter than 1400g
    Anytime I don't feel like riding my other bikes that are more specific.

I just want to make this a fun, go anywhere, do anything bike. It has to ride decently well on the road. My instincts tell me that the Knard 4.8 could be good here, but I'm hoping there are more opinions. I haven't seen any scientific evidence that 4" is better than 5", but for a "go anywhere" bike, my instincts are telling me that 5" is more versatile as long as the tire is a decent roller. The 4.7" snowshoes aren't cutting it, and my studded Dillinger 5's are dedicated for winter.

HELP!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins17 View Post
    Sooo....Is there a consensus on where these 4.8 knards are in their element? HELP, please!

I need a tire for my "all around, pick it up and ride" fat bike:
    3 seasons (spring/summer/fall)
    Northeast US (beach/rocks/roots/road - don't want self steer)
    80mm-100mm wheels
    Bluto suspension
    Lighter than 1400g
    Anytime I don't feel like riding my other bikes that are more specific.

I just want to make this a fun, go anywhere, do anything bike. It has to ride decently well on the road. My instincts tell me that the Knard 4.8 could be good here, but I'm hoping there are more opinions. I haven't seen any scientific evidence that 4" is better than 5", but for a "go anywhere" bike, my instincts are telling me that 5" is more versatile as long as the tire is a decent roller. The 4.7" snowshoes aren't cutting it, and my studded Dillinger 5's are dedicated for winter.
    Nobby Nic - Schwalbe Professional Bike Tires
    HELP!
    I currently ride JJ 4.8(F) BFL(R) for the same type of riding you explained. I like this combo and would recommend it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    I currently ride JJ 4.8(F) BFL(R) for the same type of riding you explained. I like this combo and would recommend it.
    Awesome, thanks! Just out of curiosity...have you ever ridden the Bud up front? Definitely much heavier than JJ but the grip is attractive if there isn't too much of a rolling efficiency loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks! Just out of curiosity...have you ever ridden the Bud up front? Definitely much heavier than JJ but the grip is attractive if there isn't too much of a rolling efficiency loss.

I used a Bud up front on wider rims, but never 65mm. There is a very big difference between the two tires. The lower weight and smaller center knobs make the JJ a lot more playful/fun in my opinoin. I don't require all the traction the Bud provides in summer, but you might.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I used a Bud up front on wider rims, but never 65mm. There is a very big difference between the two tires. The lower weight and smaller center knobs make the JJ a lot more playful/fun in my opinoin. I don't require all the traction the Bud provides in summer, but you might.
    Interesting. I'll be running it on an 80mm+ wheel. I think for spring/fall variable conditions I am almost sold on Bud up front, with Jumbo Jim coming in at a close second.

As attractive as some of the 4" options are (and some are nice and inexpensive), I'm not sold on them for 80mm wheels and my type of riding.

mtbr member
    Interesting. I'll be running it on an 80mm+ wheel. I think for spring/fall variable conditions I am almost sold on Bud up front, with Jumbo Jim coming in at a close second.

As attractive as some of the 4" options are (and some are nice and inexpensive), I'm not sold on them for 80mm wheels and my type of riding.
    Just to be clear I'm talking about the larger 4.8 Jumbo Jim which is just as big. I agree, Bud is a great tire and would trump the JJ is less the perfect conditions, but at the price of rolling resistance. The Bud is also awesome in the snow and I believe the JJ will fall short in the later months once the mud and snow arrives. I haven't rode a better 4.5"+ tire yet for all summer riding which includes: Bud, BFL, GC, D5, and JJ.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

4.8 Knard?

Just to be clear I'm talking about the larger 4.8 Jumbo Jim which is just as big. I agree, Bud is a great tire and would trump the JJ is less the perfect conditions, but at the price of rolling resistance. The Bud is also awesome in the snow and I believe the JJ will fall short in the later months once the mud and snow arrives. I haven't rode a better 4.5"+ tire yet for all summer riding which includes: Bud, BFL, GC, D5, and JJ.
    Picked up a Bud today and running with a Big Fat Larry rear. Early results on road put this at a big upgrade for road rolling resistance. I couldn't hear a lot of noise from the front Bud (in fact I heard more noise from the BFL) so I've got to assume it is doing its job as a nice rolling, grippy front tire.

Will return with trail updates.

Thanks to all for your advice!

Last edited by Higgins17; 04-20-2015 at 09:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Anyone hear any rumours on when the next batch is going to be arriving? Seems like the first lot must've been decidedly limited.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    UPDATE: Rode the bike on the road to go to a mostly dry, rocky, rooty up and downhill section on my new setup (Bud (front), and Big Fat Larry (rear)).

Performance: I wasn't running strava for my downhill, but I set a Strava personal record on the uphill and was very close to a KOM. I've run the climb on both a steel cyclocross and full suspension with 2.35s and remember trying a lot harder on those climbs to get my previous times. A good sign for sure.

Feel since tire change from Snowshoe to Bud/BFL: Obviously, I changed two variables on the fat bike (front and rear tires had been VEE snowshoes), but I was pleased with the results. On my 80mm wheels the lack of self steer on the Bud was a welcomed change. Also, the Bud, BFL's don't throw up nearly the amount of rocks and dirt that the snowshoes do. Unless I experience horrible performance on wet roots with Bud/BFL, I've found my setup until winter hits again!

Picked up a Bud today and running with a Big Fat Larry rear. Early results on road put this at a big upgrade for road rolling resistance. I couldn't hear a lot of noise from the front Bud (in fact I heard more noise from the BFL) so I've got to assume it is doing its job as a nice rolling, grippy front tire.

Will return with trail updates.

Thanks to all for your advice!

mtbr member
    "my new setup (Bud (front), and Big Fat Larry (rear))"

The title of this thread is 4.8" Knard... Good info in your comment, but I'm unable to find relevance to the 4.8" Knard in any of your recent posts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

4.8 Knard?

Fair enough. I should have prefaced it with "I originally considered a 4.8" Knard but after reading about some self steer issues when mounted on the front, and limited initial availability, I looked into other options. Am looking forward to trying the Knard on the rear when it comes out and if rolling resistance reviews are favorable."

Honestly, if the Knard 4.8 rolls equivalently to or better than the BFL, I'll probably be in the market. Will be interested to hear more about performance on roots and in mud.

mtbr member

An update to my Knard experience:

The 4.8 in the back has been great. It does seem to pick up and hold onto a bit of mud, but I try to stay on dry trails for most of my riding.

Dumping the front for a Bud was a good choice. I'm back to a great handling bike.

I'm about 210lbs. I find I enjoy the fatty most when the tires are workings as my suspension. I've currently settled on ~7.5psi in the rear and ~6psi in front for riding techy midwest singletrack.

Though I've had some issues with my tubeless setup, none of the issues have been caused by the Knard. The bead hasn't leaked any sealant since initial setup and the sidewalls have showed no signs of seepage.

I was able to set the bead on rolling darryls using only 1 layer of tyvek tape and using a compressor with the wheel on a bucket (loose bead facing down.)

mtbr member
    I have mine set up tubeless on 80mm Mulefuts. Due to having my wrist in a cast, I've only had the chance to ride them leisurely on paved road, grass, beach, and a boardwalk since I'm not capable of riding trails with a broken wrist. The tires roll super fast. IMO, you cannot compare these to the traction of a Bud/Lou. Its like comparing apples and oranges. They are very voluminous like Bud/Lou though. I had the tires at 3.5 psi on the beach and they floated over the sand just like Bud/Lou but with speed. They definitely accelerated quicker on the sand both in the soft and harder/wetter stuff. I did notice the front washing out slightly on the boardwalk when making sharp turns down the ramps to the street and beach, but it was more due to the fine sand blown all over the boardwalk. Even as the front slipped on the sandy wood surface it was very predictable and correctable. I'll be out of my cast in a week and on the trails in two. I'll give another report when I get them out in the dirt. I noticed minimal self steer at 5psi on paved roads, nothing that a little muscle and rider input could not override.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.8 Knard?-photo-2.jpg  

4.8 Knard?-photo-1.jpg  

Last edited by ShredMaster; 04-22-2015 at 03:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pritchett View Post

An update to my Knard experience:

The 4.8 in the back has been great. It does seem to pick up and hold onto a bit of mud, but I try to stay on dry trails for most of my riding.

Dumping the front for a Bud was a good choice. I'm back to a great handling bike.

I'm about 210lbs. I find I enjoy the fatty most when the tires are workings as my suspension. I've currently settled on ~7.5psi in the rear and ~6psi in front for riding techy midwest singletrack.

Though I've had some issues with my tubeless setup, none of the issues have been caused by the Knard. The bead hasn't leaked any sealant since initial setup and the sidewalls have showed no signs of seepage.

I was able to set the bead on rolling darryls using only 1 layer of tyvek tape and using a compressor with the wheel on a bucket (loose bead facing down.)
    Awesome. Thanks for the info! I have a feeling that this will be my future setup. Looking at the two tires, I have a feeling that I can only gain rear grip over the BFL, and it really doesn't look like I'll lose any rolling efficiency to boot. I guess time will tell whether the Knard is really a big enough upgrade for me to drop the rear BFL!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So, it seems that if you do not have a Knard 4.8 yet it will be awhile before you do so. I put in an order with our Canadian supplier to get myself a pair back during the first week of April and they were out of stock.
    However, they said they were going to get in contact with their supplier in the US and have some tires shipped up by the end of the month.
    I called yesterday and it doesn't look like and Knards are available until later in the summer for anybody (both US and Canada).

So, I cancelled my order of Knards and went with some Big Fat Larry's instead.

Is it a situation of where the supply could not meet the demand? Or a manufacturing or shipping issue? Whatever it is, I guess I'll have to wait until next year to try these tires.

um... yeah
    Oct 2006
    Does anyone know if these will fit in a Mukluk on 80mm rims? Thanks.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by that guy again View Post
    I don't know... They look every bit as big as Lou. I know Dillinger 5's will fit in a Muk on Darryls.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    They fit. You'll need to be running 1x up front and at least 2 BB spacers on the drive side.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The 4.8 Knards on 65mm rims fit on the newer Mukluks fine. I'd think 80mm rims would not be a problem. I can't vouch for chain line though; I'm running with IGH.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I don't know... They look every bit as big as Lou.
    My knard was bigger than the lou I have. I like it.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    My knard was bigger than the lou I have. I like it.
    Awesome. I'm due for new tires anyway. I need these.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I would get the Lou 4.8 instead, maximized traction.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    after 3 months and 5-600 miles on a set of knards on my moonlander i continue to love these tires.here in the desert southwest they seem to work well for all the various forms/combos of loose,sandy,and rocky we get here,and have held up to all the various tire shredding plants and such we have here,and as a bonus they actually do great on the road,an important factor for someone who doesnt own a car...i have several strava road segment top tens on the moonlander (take that carbon fiber ridin roadies!)

the rear tire does ooze sealant from the sidewalls,and i can hear some giant tire goblins rolling around inside,but so far zero problems from a split tube setup,which only took a floor pump to set the bead.i have noted some self steer from the front,but generally only on pavement...
    for where i ride,the knards are just right,no complaints at all about them

Bedwards Of The West
    I know, I know!

4.8 Knard?-screen-shot-2015-05-23-4.20.58-pm.jpg

I have my alternators about half way back (although it's just the little hairs that rub on the chainstay bridge when they're all the way forward).

I'm using a RaceFace narrow wide ring on the stock 2x crankset... I put two spacers on the drive side, so it's a ghetto 1x9 set up. I get pretty heavy chain rub on the tire in the lowest gear. I'm thinking about dumping the highest gear and spacing the cassette outward, for a 1x8 set up that will let me use the high gear.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

turtles make me hot
    I put a 4.8 Knard on my 907 last night on the rear. I still have Bud mounted on the front. All I have to say is WOW!
    Bike is faster and WAY quieter. Now, when I roll down a hill, it picks up speed fast.
    So here's a couple of questions... How's the big Knard in snow? Anyone get to try it last winter? And... Anyone tried Bud-Knard and switched to Knard-Knard? Which do you like better?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^Welcome to the Big Knard Bud club! I have not tried the Knard/Knard combo yet because I have no complaints w/ the current combo. I did have a 3.8 Knard/Hudu on my 170mm 9ZERO7 and liked it a lot. I wouldn't do Knard in the front..prob D5, but I like to "overtire" the front.

Newmarketrog says he loved knard/knard in the snow, but I cannot imagine they would be good in the snow.

Saying a certain tire won't be good in "snow" is like saying tire X isn't good on "dirt."
    Type of snow plays a huge role on how a tire will react to it. Certain conditions call for aggressive knobs like a Lou, or maybe studs. Others, even slicks do ok.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post

I'm thinking about dumping the highest gear and spacing the cassette outward, for a 1x8 set up that will let me use the high gear.
    From your description it is not really clear which cog is being removed, but here's my experience:

To ensure proper lockring tension on the cassettes I've worked with, the first two small cogs formed a unit that should not be removed.

The smallest have the knurls for holding the lockring to torque, the second on Shimano at least have a recess machined to receive the first cog. This makes for wrong spacing if one tries to mate number one to number three for instance.

Again just my personal observations.
    Last edited by jan_nikolajsen; 09-27-2015 at 10:01 AM.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    ^Welcome to the Big Knard Bud club! I have not tried the Knard/Knard combo yet because I have no complaints w/ the current combo. I did have a 3.8 Knard/Hudu on my 170mm 9ZERO7 and liked it a lot. I wouldn't do Knard in the front..prob D5, but I like to "overtire" the front.

Newmarketrog says he loved knard/knard in the snow, but I cannot imagine they would be good in the snow.
    I did 20 miles of super techy singletrack today on my bike with Knard-Bud and my friend on his identical 907 with Knards front and rear. I outweigh him by about 75 pounds and had zero trouble hangin' on his rear wheel. I guess Knard-Bud will stay a while.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Any real world input on how these guys size up mounted onto 65/70mm width rims? I know the measurements from surlys website, bit hoping for real world input.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12