29er wheelset on fatbike handling- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

29er wheelset on fatbike handling

Yes, I did a search on this: 29er wheelset (standard, non plus) mounted on a fat bike 135/170 drops. Did not see any opinions on the handling of this set-up though. Is this a legitimate option for summer or something to avoid? Comments/criticisms?

mtbr member
    From personal experience on my Salsa Beargrease 29+ was the way to go for me. My local trails are sandy and lots of roots and the 29+ setup is awesome, I have a buddy who rides 29x2.6 on his surly Wednesday and he loves it, gets the best of two worlds, speed and plowing through things. I ran Maxxis Chronicle's and handling was far better for me than trying to run traditional 29ers , cornered well on the sand, she's must off well and rolling was just on point for me. I know the spacing on these bikes are different than what you have, but perhaps it can help with your decision making.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Guy at my LBS has an ICT with 29+ setup for summer. He says it rides awesome, better than a lot of dedicated plus bikes. I'm sure not all fat geometries will work well, but I bet most would. I am considering selling all my bikes and getting an ICT with 3 wheelsets. Have two for my Krampus now. Plus a cheap fat

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    29+ on my pugs is awesome

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by PVP-SS View Post
    Yes, I did a search on this: 29er wheelset (standard, non plus) mounted on a fat bike 135/170 drops. Did not see any opinions on the handling of this set-up though. Is this a legitimate option for summer or something to avoid? Comments/criticisms?

Frames and forks with 135/170 hubs typically max out with 29 x 2.5" or so tires.

And they feel awesome when float isn't needed. Definitely worth doing, but keep your fat wheels/tires for the appropriate times/places.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Works fine. Way too bumpy without a suspension fork.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds like this is a good alternative to buying another bike right now. Just swap the wheels between summer/winter riding. Sweet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Not what as asked, but I prefer 27.5x3.8 over 29.anything unless the trails are mainly double track boring.