29er gearing- Mtbr.com

Thread: 29er gearing

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

29er gearing

Is anyone successfully running a 12-36 cassette on their fat bike? We have a lot of steep hills in the area. Here one has big bragging rights, just to make some of our hills. In some cases I was looking to just be able to spin a little more. In other cases I had really steep hills, that I just didn't have the power to turn the pedals over on. So I ordered a Shimano 9speed 12-36.. using that with the stock crank, with a low of 22 teeth.

I just put the cassette on a couple of days ago, and I trashed it yesterday on my first steep hill. I was not shifting under a load, for I was not shifting. This particular hill.. it does no good to try and approach it with momentum. I was already in first gear before the steep part it. At it steepened I slid forward on the seat.. lowered myself over the parts.. and steading pushed harder on the pedals. That 36 tooth cog folded over. Which released the chain forcibly onto the next smaller cog.. the force of that snapped off a tooth and broke the chain.

I am not sure if there are stronger cassettes out there??

Oh and for those worried about horizontal drop outs. I do run the wheel all the way forward, so it is less apt to move, but in this the wheel did not budge.

turtles make me hot
    I have a 12-36 on my 29er. It's not the XTR, it's the cheaper, heavier one. I can't imagine that you folded the cog up. I destroy hubs and break chains regularly. I'm on my way out the door, but when I get back I'll see what kind mine is. It's Shimano, just not sure which model.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Wow, you must have some guns on ya to fold cog gears! I believe the "other" model is a deore cogset. I've been checking them out as of late.

Regardless, I was debating on trying the 29'er gearing as well, since we have the same issue here, lots o' steep, but have never messed with anything 29'er yet. Curious if a normal deraillur will handle that many teeth?!

As to your question, I would believe anything XTRish would be the benchmark for strength. OR perhaps something from Sram would give more strength. The metals used in deore can tend to be a little soft.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    According the August issue of Mountain Bike Magazine these cassettes are only available in a 10 speed. Hahahahaha, I am really liking my 12-36 9 speed

Just Ride!
    I've been running HG70 Deore LX 8spd for a while with no issues of damage. I've never used any gears above 8spd. Are the newer 9spd & 10spd cogs thinner compared to the 8spd models? That's some serious stomping to fold a cog.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    As far as I know the HG-61 is the only currently available Shimano 9 speed cassette available with a 36 tooth cog. I think all others are 10 speed. I have an HG-61 that I've used on a couple bikes, and it's definitely overbuilt. I would guess (without seeing it, so it's just a guess) that you got a defective one. No cassette should do what you describe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks everyone:
    I am about 190 pounds and perhaps fairly strong. I did not stand and do an explosive jump.. It was nice and steady pressure.. pretty serious pressure.. but that is the only way up this hill. It is a HG-61 cassette. The cogs are fastened to 6 support arms. The bent cog is still fastened to the arms.. It bent mid-way between 2 of the support arms. [ midway is of course where it would bend the easiest. ]

I think I will give QBP a call next week.. and see if they have any advice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I added a 36 tooth cog first to my fuji mountain bike and then once I got my pugsley I took it off the fuji and added it to the pugs with no problems yet. It is good for steep country roads.
    I can't get the link to show up properly here but if you google 36 tooth gear on ebay it should come up. I see now I don't have enough post to post a link

mtbr member
    I would think that folding a cassette cog would be worth more bragging rights than actually making it up the hill.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    I would think that folding a cassette cog would be worth more bragging rights than actually making it up the hill.
    ha ha.. yeah.. but it gets expensive.. and does not develop fitness like continuing the climb.. and walking out is not as much fun...

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Some 29ers who want better gearing have found Middleburn cranksets with 40-30-20 as their gear choices. Seems like there was a thread a while ago on the 29er board.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    Some 29ers who want better gearing have found Middleburn cranksets with 40-30-20 as their gear choices. Seems like there was a thread a while ago on the 29er board.
    Thanks J. Yeah I have wondered about that option. A 20 with a 32 low on back.. would be just a slightly higher gear.. than the 22-36... and the 32 cog should be a little stiffer.

Did you get your wife's new frame together?

mtbr member
    Solve your 29er problems here. Mine works great. shifts perfectly. Easy to install. Not cheap, but cheaper than 10 speed. As for the 22, granny, I have never needed to change that.
    Fast shipping.

http://andersenmachine.wordpress.com/product-info/
    CRAMBA Chairman

turtles make me hot
    Yeah... I have the HG61. My X0 and my X7 deraillers both shift all the gears on it. 190 pounds and you wrecked a cog?? Damn. I'm 250 and I haven't done that.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I have an HG-50 12-36 9-spd cassette on my fat bike. I'm not sure why the HG-61 seems to be the only one available in that range at the moment. Seems odd that the HG50 would have only been produced for such a short time. But I'm sure someone could find one with a bit of websurfing and/or shop visits, nonetheless.

Maybe this would be a solution for you? The HG-50 was the "cheap version," and doesn't have the alloy carrier spider for the larger cogs. Instead, each one is stamped from a single piece of steel.

I had actually been contemplating switching mine to the HG-61 at some point, until I read this, just to save some weight. But I'm wondering if you would have avoided the problem if you too would have had the cheaper version?

Total speculation here, but with the HG-61, each cog is just made of a lot less material, which means a lot less distance over which to distribute stresses (flex) before it folds. Maybe this is one place where a little extra weight pays off in terms of durability? (Not that I expect to have the same problem, with my legs).
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenlason View Post
    Thanks everyone:
    I am about 190 pounds and perhaps fairly strong. I did not stand and do an explosive jump.. It was nice and steady pressure.. pretty serious pressure.. but that is the only way up this hill. It is a HG-61 cassette. The cogs are fastened to 6 support arms. The bent cog is still fastened to the arms.. It bent mid-way between 2 of the support arms. [ midway is of course where it would bend the easiest. ]

I think I will give QBP a call next week.. and see if they have any advice.
    I just got back from pulling my 70 lb. BOB trailer 10 miles or so, over rough, muddy, rocky terrain, using the HG61 cassette. Spent a good deal of time in the three largest cogs and the front granny (22T). Had no problems at all.
    I don't think that it probably caused the problem, but what chain are you using?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Yeah... I have the HG61. My X0 and my X7 deraillers both shift all the gears on it. 190 pounds and you wrecked a cog?? Damn. I'm 250 and I haven't done that.

Yeah, I have a friend that has the 36 on his Mukluk... and is heavier than I.. and he has had no problems. Yet he does not push as hard as I do. He has not ridden these trails despite my coaxing.

It is a very steep hill.. and it is one that you can't use any momentum on. There is no spinning.. the only way to get up it is pure strength..

shruggy...

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenlason View Post
    Yeah, I have a friend that has the 36 on his Mukluk... and is heavier than I.. and he has had no problems. Yet he does not push as hard as I do. He has not ridden these trails despite my coaxing.

It is a very steep hill.. and it is one that you can't use any momentum on. There is no spinning.. the only way to get up it is pure strength..

shruggy...
    I have a couple of hills like that where I ride too. Every time I get to the top, I thank my lucks stars I did't snap the chain and bust my ass 3/4 of the way up.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Surprised noone has said it yet...so I'll be the first....

Pics or it didn't happen!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mijstrat72 View Post
    Surprised noone has said it yet...so I'll be the first....

Pics or it didn't happen!
    I did take some photos of it.. but I am not sure how to post photo's.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    If I did this correctly this is the photo showing the bent 36 tooth cog
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29er gearing-p1000246.jpg  

mtbr member
    Garsh! Your a manimal!

Or that cog missed the heat treating process.

mtbr member
    Garsh! Your a manimal!
    or you were using a worn chain on a new cassette...
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Garsh! Your a manimal!

I am hoping it missed the heat treating process.. or something of that nature.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I was going to also install a brand new chain when I put the cassette on. I ended up measuring the chain, before doing so, and it read that it was still quite good, so I did not.

I can see, and have seen a worn chain, on a new cassette sliding off a cog.. and then forcibly coming down on the next cog causing damage.
    In this situation the chain did not slip or skip... It bent the cog it was on...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Where did my thread go?

I posted an update, on the problem I have had with my 12-36 cassette.. but it seems to be gone.