27.5X4 Who's excited? Who's not? - Page 8- Mtbr.com
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Results 1,401 to 1,434 of 1434
    mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Yep, quite a bit. I see them as serving very different niches, because their volume differs so greatly.

Neither is good in/on soft snow.

Hodag is excellent on dirt, rock, chunk, roots. Fine tuning pressure is important. It has a fairly broad sweet spot, but I think most people still run it too high. More than ~10 and it becomes fairly meh, if not harsh.

Barbe is light and fast when float is needed on sand or mixed sand/cobbles or (more or less) anywhere off-piste in non-snow months. It's good for riding washes. I've never ridden Barbe on dirt trails because I don't want (or need) a tire that big on trail. The snow in my backyard is light and soft and needs larger, more aggressive knobs than what Barbe has, so I don't use it on snow.

Barbe is more or less ideal for this: Big Wheel Building: Alpine Style, the movie.
    Thanks Mikesee.
    I try to ride off-piste as much as I can, so I love float. But as I have a perfectly good pair of Hodags, think I'll run them till their finished, then put on the Barbie's. Loving the Hodag as a rear, very good grip considering the knob's aren't that tall.
    Loving the movie BTW. Wish I was close to nature that big. Thats a blessing.
    Last edited by tablatom; 07-10-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: additional content

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tmbrown View Post
    I havenít noticed any autosteer traits from either tire, what I do notice; they tend to roll slower when under inflatedÖ
    I am running the barbs that came on my Farley 9.6 and the tires are really good for summer riding I have run them down to 6.5ish and they do feel pretty slow at that pressure. I think for me the happy summer pressure is 8-8.5 ish on a normal ride and if it is going to be a smoother day I will run 10.

no selfsteer for me until I got under 7.5 and even at 7 or a little less it was still ridable and fun. I absolutely hate that self steer trait so I may be a little pickier than other. When I can feel it, it is seems to be the only thing I can think about.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Does anybody know if there is a Chinese carbon frame that would fit a 27.5 fat?
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    I am running the barbs that came on my Farley 9.6 and the tires are really good for summer riding I have run them down to 6.5ish and they do feel pretty slow at that pressure. I think for me the happy summer pressure is 8-8.5 ish on a normal ride and if it is going to be a smoother day I will run 10.

no selfsteer for me until I got under 7.5 and even at 7 or a little less it was still ridable and fun. I absolutely hate that self steer trait so I may be a little pickier than other. When I can feel it, it is seems to be the only thing I can think about.
    Self steer seems to be a common trait of thicker walled, heavy tires.
    With the most supple, pliable casings, self steer is lesser. Rim width has a major effect of lessening self steer as well
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I have been on 2 different B-fat setups. It's the same bike with different wheel sets, fork, and drivetrain. Going forward I will alter setup based on time of year.
    #1 Salsa Mukluk frame with 27.5 x 3.8 VanHelga on Nextie 40id rims with a Fox 34 27.5+ fork set up single speed.
    27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-img_0018.jpg

#2 Salsa Mukluk with 27.5 x 4.5 Barbegazi on Light Bicycle 70id rims with a Salsa carbon fork.
    27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-img_4557.jpg

Both setups are awesome, and very different. Love the rollover, the diameter is taller than my old 29+. The weight on both is low(28 lbs) and there is a few oz difference between the two.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Nice! I checked LB and they didn't have any 650b fat wheels listed, do you happen to have a model name? Only Chinese carbon I've found so far were Nextie
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gendy View Post
    Since you didn't get any direct replies to your question so far, I will try to answer it based on my internet research so please take this with the appropriate grain of salt as I don't own my fat bike yet as the Farley EX I am trying to get ahold of isn't that easily available in central Europe for a decent price (see my signature).

Most if not all Carbon Chiners, even the full suspension ones, should be able to run a 3.8" tire as they are around the same diameter as a 26"x4.6" tire (750mm), 4" should be only marginally taller than 3.8". If you want to run the 4.5" flavour of 27.5" (between around 770mm for Barbegazi/Gnarwhal and close to 790mm for the Cake Eater) the CS-197 should accommodate that size because it can also run a Vee 2XL which is around 790mm in diameter and is a well received frame.

Regarding 27.5" rims, have a look at BTLOS, they have very competitive prices and regularly run promotions with decent discounts. The ones I am looking at for myself are the 85mm double wall for the 4.5" tires and the 50mm ones if I decide to get a second wheel set somewhere in the future for 3.8" tires.
    Looking for fairly priced Farley EX 8/9.8 in Germany or neighbouring countries. Shoot me a PM if you know about one, TIA!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My bro-in-law had an iMust Malamute for a while and he ran 27.5 Hodags on it no problem.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    So, it seems my favorite friggin tire evar, the 27.5x4 vanhelga 120tpi is discontinued? If i had any idea, i would have bought a shit ton of them.

If anyone has a line on them, let me know. Thanks!!

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    So, it seems my favorite friggin tire evar, the 27.5x4 vanhelga 120tpi is discontinued? If i had any idea, i would have bought a shit ton of them.

What?!?!?! Are they discontinuing the tire completely or just the 120 TPI version?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    What?!?!?! Are they discontinuing the tire completely or just the 120 TPI version?
    no idea. Dealers cannot order the 120tpi bfat vanhelga, it is no longer an option. the 60tpi version is an option still and is readily available.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    Nice! I checked LB and they didn't have any 650b fat wheels listed, do you happen to have a model name? Only Chinese carbon I've found so far were Nextie
    https://www.lightbicycle.com/75mm-wi...ompatible.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    are you guys seeing the 27.5 tires on treks site? when i click on all the tires i am only seeing the 26 versions in the drop down menu and only getting the stats on the 26 inch tires.

the reason why i was even going on there is i am already trying to prepare for winter a little bit and and hoping i won't need to do anything. I am on the barbs 27.5x4.5 now and was hoping they will be able have good float so i can just run them through the winter also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thinking about pulling the trigger on the CS-197, and checking out wheels currently. BTLOS and LB came close in price. This would be a primarily snow bike i think, so would you guys recommend an i70 (580g) or i79 (660g) ? Not quite sure on tires yet, but thinking i might start with Barbs or 4.5" cake eaters.
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just built up some 65mm btlos the wheels. Just great to deal with from start to finish, and a really top notch product.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    are you guys seeing the 27.5 tires on treks site? when i click on all the tires i am only seeing the 26 versions in the drop down menu and only getting the stats on the 26 inch tires.
    Hodag is the only one I see. I hope they are just out of stock.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    Hodag is the only one I see. I hope they are just out of stock.

Hodag and both sizes of Gnarwhal are in stock -- both in my shop and at Trek. Barbe's are sold out ATM but due back in on 9/16.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

I just tried the 60 TPI version for my summer/fall tires. They are awesome! Tons of grip but yet faster than my 4.5 gnarwhal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Snow is coming soon !

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Yep, quite a bit. I see them as serving very different niches, because their volume differs so greatly.

Neither is good in/on soft snow.

Hodag is excellent on dirt, rock, chunk, roots. Fine tuning pressure is important. It has a fairly broad sweet spot, but I think most people still run it too high. More than ~10 and it becomes fairly meh, if not harsh.

Barbe is light and fast when float is needed on sand or mixed sand/cobbles or (more or less) anywhere off-piste in non-snow months. It's good for riding washes. I've never ridden Barbe on dirt trails because I don't want (or need) a tire that big on trail. The snow in my backyard is light and soft and needs larger, more aggressive knobs than what Barbe has, so I don't use it on snow.

Barbe is more or less ideal for this: Big Wheel Building: Alpine Style, the movie.
    Awesome movie ! Thanks for posting it
    Makes me want to try this someday.

Is the Gnarwhal your 27.5 tire of choice for snow ❄️ ⛄️ ? Iím getting excited for the season !

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I didn't see it here, but Framed has a few 27.5 fat bikes, including this full-suspension model. https://www.framedbikes.com/collecti...-fat-bike-27-5

There is also the Alaskan, which in many versions incuding a 27.5x4 carbon and a 29+ carbon drop bar model with the lauf fork. I know a bit blasphemous in this section, but I kind of like the drop bar lauf variant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Funoutside View Post
    carbon and a 29+ carbon drop bar model with the lauf fork. I know a bit blasphemous in this section, but I kind of like the drop bar lauf variant.
    I like Framed bikes. I have one of their carbon road bikes. This build is just an odd choice for them. The number of people who ride dropbar MTB is tiny, and then they add a Lauf fork? I can't see these selling very well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I could see a purpose for the bike it had more mounting points for adventure/bike packing crowd, but it doesn't. I get the lauf fork as I've seen bike packers say it's better than regular shock fork as the extra weight of packing equipment doesn't compress the fork down. If I had the money I kind of want to try it, but with wider tires, maybe 27.5x 3.8(if it fits).

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    FYI, i called 45nrth regarding the 120tpi 27.5x4 vanhelga being discontinued. they told me there is a redesign coming out in the next few months. i know this is third hand info, but that is what the guy who picked up the phone told me... we shall see!
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    FYI, i called 45nrth regarding the 120tpi 27.5x4 vanhelga being discontinued. they told me there is a redesign coming out in the next few months. i know this is third hand info, but that is what the guy who picked up the phone told me... we shall see!
    I wonder if their going to make it a bit shorter so it fits most of the target market bikes?

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
    I wonder if their going to make it a bit shorter so it fits most of the target market bikes?
    i sure f hope not.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

Rippin da fAt
    No need, they already fit the Sergeant V3...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Also hoping not. A front 27.5 Vanhelga has been a perfect pairing with a 29x3 on the back for those times I want float and speed.

I tried a hodag on the front, but then the bike had a stinkbug look to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    How much heavier is 27.5x4 vs 26x4?

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    26x4 vanhelga 120tpi is 1290grams, whereas a 27.5x4 vanhelga 120tpi is 1360 grams.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    What are the light weight trail/gravel/urban 3.5" to 4.0" tires for the 27.5.

I was riding with a freind of mine, he has a Trek Farley with 27.5 in rims and he was riding the stock tires. I was riding the my Surly Wednesday 26 Fat bike with Kenda Juggernauts 4.0. We were riding gravel, some trails and some semi paved trails. Huge difference in knobs on the stock tires on the Farley vs. Juggerauts. Those big knobs are really not needed in the summertime.

Have any of the lighter weight tires like the Juggernauts or Jumbo Jim anounced that they will be coming out in a 27.5"?

My Juggernaut Pro 4.0 which I use as a back tire only weighs 840 grams. I think my front tire which is a Juggernaut Sport 4.0 is about 1200 grams.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Are there 27.5x3.5 tires or does that size not exist?

This place needs an enema
    Are there 27.5x3.5 tires or does that size not exist?

Bontrager Hodag's are 27.5 x 3.8". On a ~45 to 50mm rim, at reasonable (10 or so psi) pressures, they come out to ~3.5".

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Interesting. But, nothing really between 3.2 and 3.8 that is labeled/marketed as 3.5 or so?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Interesting. But, nothing really between 3.2 and 3.8 that is labeled/marketed as 3.5 or so?
    The industry is still trying to figure out Wide-Trail-B-Fat and how to best market it.

Coming to you at a trade show on an ebike soon.

(In all seriousness, I would love a 27.5x3.5 surly extraterrestrial. Need? No.)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678