27.5X4 Who's excited? Who's not? - Page 8- Mtbr.com
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Results 1,401 to 1,501 of 1501
    mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Yep, quite a bit. I see them as serving very different niches, because their volume differs so greatly.

Neither is good in/on soft snow.

Hodag is excellent on dirt, rock, chunk, roots. Fine tuning pressure is important. It has a fairly broad sweet spot, but I think most people still run it too high. More than ~10 and it becomes fairly meh, if not harsh.

Barbe is light and fast when float is needed on sand or mixed sand/cobbles or (more or less) anywhere off-piste in non-snow months. It's good for riding washes. I've never ridden Barbe on dirt trails because I don't want (or need) a tire that big on trail. The snow in my backyard is light and soft and needs larger, more aggressive knobs than what Barbe has, so I don't use it on snow.

Barbe is more or less ideal for this: Big Wheel Building: Alpine Style, the movie.
    Thanks Mikesee.
    I try to ride off-piste as much as I can, so I love float. But as I have a perfectly good pair of Hodags, think I'll run them till their finished, then put on the Barbie's. Loving the Hodag as a rear, very good grip considering the knob's aren't that tall.
    Loving the movie BTW. Wish I was close to nature that big. Thats a blessing.
    Last edited by tablatom; 07-10-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: additional content

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tmbrown View Post
    I haven’t noticed any autosteer traits from either tire, what I do notice; they tend to roll slower when under inflated…
    I am running the barbs that came on my Farley 9.6 and the tires are really good for summer riding I have run them down to 6.5ish and they do feel pretty slow at that pressure. I think for me the happy summer pressure is 8-8.5 ish on a normal ride and if it is going to be a smoother day I will run 10.

no selfsteer for me until I got under 7.5 and even at 7 or a little less it was still ridable and fun. I absolutely hate that self steer trait so I may be a little pickier than other. When I can feel it, it is seems to be the only thing I can think about.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Does anybody know if there is a Chinese carbon frame that would fit a 27.5 fat?
    2019 Trek Farley 9.6
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+
    2016 Superfly 9.6

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    I am running the barbs that came on my Farley 9.6 and the tires are really good for summer riding I have run them down to 6.5ish and they do feel pretty slow at that pressure. I think for me the happy summer pressure is 8-8.5 ish on a normal ride and if it is going to be a smoother day I will run 10.

no selfsteer for me until I got under 7.5 and even at 7 or a little less it was still ridable and fun. I absolutely hate that self steer trait so I may be a little pickier than other. When I can feel it, it is seems to be the only thing I can think about.
    Self steer seems to be a common trait of thicker walled, heavy tires.
    With the most supple, pliable casings, self steer is lesser. Rim width has a major effect of lessening self steer as well
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I have been on 2 different B-fat setups. It's the same bike with different wheel sets, fork, and drivetrain. Going forward I will alter setup based on time of year.
    #1 Salsa Mukluk frame with 27.5 x 3.8 VanHelga on Nextie 40id rims with a Fox 34 27.5+ fork set up single speed.
    27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-img_0018.jpg

#2 Salsa Mukluk with 27.5 x 4.5 Barbegazi on Light Bicycle 70id rims with a Salsa carbon fork.
    27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-img_4557.jpg

Both setups are awesome, and very different. Love the rollover, the diameter is taller than my old 29+. The weight on both is low(28 lbs) and there is a few oz difference between the two.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Nice! I checked LB and they didn't have any 650b fat wheels listed, do you happen to have a model name? Only Chinese carbon I've found so far were Nextie
    2019 Trek Farley 9.6
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+
    2016 Superfly 9.6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gendy View Post
    Since you didn't get any direct replies to your question so far, I will try to answer it based on my internet research so please take this with the appropriate grain of salt as I don't own my fat bike yet as the Farley EX I am trying to get ahold of isn't that easily available in central Europe for a decent price (see my signature).

Most if not all Carbon Chiners, even the full suspension ones, should be able to run a 3.8" tire as they are around the same diameter as a 26"x4.6" tire (750mm), 4" should be only marginally taller than 3.8". If you want to run the 4.5" flavour of 27.5" (between around 770mm for Barbegazi/Gnarwhal and close to 790mm for the Cake Eater) the CS-197 should accommodate that size because it can also run a Vee 2XL which is around 790mm in diameter and is a well received frame.

Regarding 27.5" rims, have a look at BTLOS, they have very competitive prices and regularly run promotions with decent discounts. The ones I am looking at for myself are the 85mm double wall for the 4.5" tires and the 50mm ones if I decide to get a second wheel set somewhere in the future for 3.8" tires.
    Looking for fairly priced 17.5" Farley EX 8/9.8 in Germany or neighbouring countries. Frame only or whole bike, TIA!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My bro-in-law had an iMust Malamute for a while and he ran 27.5 Hodags on it no problem.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    So, it seems my favorite friggin tire evar, the 27.5x4 vanhelga 120tpi is discontinued? If i had any idea, i would have bought a shit ton of them.

If anyone has a line on them, let me know. Thanks!!

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    So, it seems my favorite friggin tire evar, the 27.5x4 vanhelga 120tpi is discontinued? If i had any idea, i would have bought a shit ton of them.

What?!?!?! Are they discontinuing the tire completely or just the 120 TPI version?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    What?!?!?! Are they discontinuing the tire completely or just the 120 TPI version?
    no idea. Dealers cannot order the 120tpi bfat vanhelga, it is no longer an option. the 60tpi version is an option still and is readily available.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    Nice! I checked LB and they didn't have any 650b fat wheels listed, do you happen to have a model name? Only Chinese carbon I've found so far were Nextie
    https://www.lightbicycle.com/75mm-wi...ompatible.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    are you guys seeing the 27.5 tires on treks site? when i click on all the tires i am only seeing the 26 versions in the drop down menu and only getting the stats on the 26 inch tires.

the reason why i was even going on there is i am already trying to prepare for winter a little bit and and hoping i won't need to do anything. I am on the barbs 27.5x4.5 now and was hoping they will be able have good float so i can just run them through the winter also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thinking about pulling the trigger on the CS-197, and checking out wheels currently. BTLOS and LB came close in price. This would be a primarily snow bike i think, so would you guys recommend an i70 (580g) or i79 (660g) ? Not quite sure on tires yet, but thinking i might start with Barbs or 4.5" cake eaters.
    2019 Trek Farley 9.6
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+
    2016 Superfly 9.6

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just built up some 65mm btlos the wheels. Just great to deal with from start to finish, and a really top notch product.

mtbr member
    are you guys seeing the 27.5 tires on treks site? when i click on all the tires i am only seeing the 26 versions in the drop down menu and only getting the stats on the 26 inch tires.
    Hodag is the only one I see. I hope they are just out of stock.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    Hodag is the only one I see. I hope they are just out of stock.

Hodag and both sizes of Gnarwhal are in stock -- both in my shop and at Trek. Barbe's are sold out ATM but due back in on 9/16.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

I just tried the 60 TPI version for my summer/fall tires. They are awesome! Tons of grip but yet faster than my 4.5 gnarwhal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Snow is coming soon !

Yep, quite a bit. I see them as serving very different niches, because their volume differs so greatly.

Neither is good in/on soft snow.

Hodag is excellent on dirt, rock, chunk, roots. Fine tuning pressure is important. It has a fairly broad sweet spot, but I think most people still run it too high. More than ~10 and it becomes fairly meh, if not harsh.

Barbe is light and fast when float is needed on sand or mixed sand/cobbles or (more or less) anywhere off-piste in non-snow months. It's good for riding washes. I've never ridden Barbe on dirt trails because I don't want (or need) a tire that big on trail. The snow in my backyard is light and soft and needs larger, more aggressive knobs than what Barbe has, so I don't use it on snow.

Barbe is more or less ideal for this: Big Wheel Building: Alpine Style, the movie.
    Awesome movie ! Thanks for posting it
    Makes me want to try this someday.

Is the Gnarwhal your 27.5 tire of choice for snow ❄️ ⛄️ ? I’m getting excited for the season !

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I didn't see it here, but Framed has a few 27.5 fat bikes, including this full-suspension model. https://www.framedbikes.com/collecti...-fat-bike-27-5

There is also the Alaskan, which in many versions incuding a 27.5x4 carbon and a 29+ carbon drop bar model with the lauf fork. I know a bit blasphemous in this section, but I kind of like the drop bar lauf variant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Funoutside View Post
    carbon and a 29+ carbon drop bar model with the lauf fork. I know a bit blasphemous in this section, but I kind of like the drop bar lauf variant.
    I like Framed bikes. I have one of their carbon road bikes. This build is just an odd choice for them. The number of people who ride dropbar MTB is tiny, and then they add a Lauf fork? I can't see these selling very well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I could see a purpose for the bike it had more mounting points for adventure/bike packing crowd, but it doesn't. I get the lauf fork as I've seen bike packers say it's better than regular shock fork as the extra weight of packing equipment doesn't compress the fork down. If I had the money I kind of want to try it, but with wider tires, maybe 27.5x 3.8(if it fits).

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    FYI, i called 45nrth regarding the 120tpi 27.5x4 vanhelga being discontinued. they told me there is a redesign coming out in the next few months. i know this is third hand info, but that is what the guy who picked up the phone told me... we shall see!
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    FYI, i called 45nrth regarding the 120tpi 27.5x4 vanhelga being discontinued. they told me there is a redesign coming out in the next few months. i know this is third hand info, but that is what the guy who picked up the phone told me... we shall see!
    I wonder if their going to make it a bit shorter so it fits most of the target market bikes?

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
    I wonder if their going to make it a bit shorter so it fits most of the target market bikes?
    i sure f hope not.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

Rippin da fAt
    No need, they already fit the Sergeant V3...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Also hoping not. A front 27.5 Vanhelga has been a perfect pairing with a 29x3 on the back for those times I want float and speed.

I tried a hodag on the front, but then the bike had a stinkbug look to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    How much heavier is 27.5x4 vs 26x4?

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    26x4 vanhelga 120tpi is 1290grams, whereas a 27.5x4 vanhelga 120tpi is 1360 grams.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    What are the light weight trail/gravel/urban 3.5" to 4.0" tires for the 27.5.

I was riding with a freind of mine, he has a Trek Farley with 27.5 in rims and he was riding the stock tires. I was riding the my Surly Wednesday 26 Fat bike with Kenda Juggernauts 4.0. We were riding gravel, some trails and some semi paved trails. Huge difference in knobs on the stock tires on the Farley vs. Juggerauts. Those big knobs are really not needed in the summertime.

Have any of the lighter weight tires like the Juggernauts or Jumbo Jim anounced that they will be coming out in a 27.5"?

My Juggernaut Pro 4.0 which I use as a back tire only weighs 840 grams. I think my front tire which is a Juggernaut Sport 4.0 is about 1200 grams.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Are there 27.5x3.5 tires or does that size not exist?

Bontrager Hodag's are 27.5 x 3.8". On a ~45 to 50mm rim, at reasonable (10 or so psi) pressures, they come out to ~3.5".

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Interesting. But, nothing really between 3.2 and 3.8 that is labeled/marketed as 3.5 or so?

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Interesting. But, nothing really between 3.2 and 3.8 that is labeled/marketed as 3.5 or so?
    The industry is still trying to figure out Wide-Trail-B-Fat and how to best market it.

Coming to you at a trade show on an ebike soon.

(In all seriousness, I would love a 27.5x3.5 surly extraterrestrial. Need? No.)

HOJ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Bumbing an old thread. Any comparison between Hodag 27.5x3.8 and Van Helga 27.5x4.0, especially on dirt singletrack? Does Van Helga work on 45 mm internal width rims?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by HOJ View Post
    Bumbing an old thread. Any comparison between Hodag 27.5x3.8 and Van Helga 27.5x4.0, especially on dirt singletrack? Does Van Helga work on 45 mm internal width rims?
    The manufacturer will tell you the target rim. I would use about 60-65 or 80 for snow.

HOJ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Yes, recommendation is 64-94 but has anyone tested in real world? Lot of people using 3.8" on i45 rims so does 0.2" make a big difference?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Yes, recommendation is 64-94 but has anyone tested in real world? Lot of people using 3.8" on i45 rims so does 0.2" make a big difference?
    Tires are a huge subject and you can hear/read all kinds of things.
    Many say that x average tire is the best!
    It is just the best they ever used.
    Many have a limited budget so they compromise.
    Many are limited by their frame.
    I guess you get my point.

WNC Native

I haven't ran the VanHelga personally yet, have one waiting to go on a new front wheel. However several of my contacts (Rodney above being one) are running them on i45 rims, they work great on those rims. They measure the same width as all the other B 3.8s on i45s. Keep in mind the Gen 1 VH is about 30.25" OD though and Gen 2 is about 29.75" OD, so taller than all the other 3.8s (including the Hodag which is 29.5" OD).
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Rippin da fAt
    I have had em mounted on i45's. It will work but I abhor stupid narrow rims with stupid wide rims due to foldover at my target air pressures, not to mention piss poor tire profile.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I haven't ran the VanHelga personally yet, have one waiting to go on a new front wheel. However several of my contacts (Rodney above being one) are running them on i45 rims, they work great on those rims. They measure the same width as all the other B 3.8s on i45s. Keep in mind the Gen 1 VH is about 30.25" OD though and Gen 2 is about 29.75" OD, so taller than all the other 3.8s (including the Hodag which is 29.5" OD).
    My only experience is between a Hodag and a Gen 1 Van Helga on 65mm rims. The VH was significantly taller than the Hodag, as mentioned. I don't remember how much, but I needed to move my sliders back to accommodate it. It was also around 5mm wider on the 65mm rims. I don't know how that translates to smaller rims though. I used the Van Helgas for snow rides in the beginning of this past winter in VT, and the exctra traction and float over the Hodag was much appreciated. They barely fit on that bike though, and I ended up picking up a proper Fatbike that now runs 27.5x4.5. For my main bike, I've now gone with the Hodag(replacing the previous Duro Crux 27.5x3.25) on 50mmish rims as a full time setup, finally got the proper Fox fork yesterday to finish the setup, can't wait!

For my uses, the VH would be way overkill for non-snow rides, which is why I sold them(to somebody on this thread!). IMHO, the VH is too big for a 50mmish rim and also not suited for dirt riding. I'm guessing it would be really slow condidering the knob size and soft compound. For dirt riding I would look into the Hodag, Cakeater, and even the Vee Crown Gem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Compared to the Hodag, the Van Helga has a lot more grip but feels slower on pavement. The 60tpi casing isn't really that supple but it's burly. I have not used one as a rear but it's great as a front tire, especially in sand & loose surfaces, even on an i45 rim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-happy_canyon_4.jpg  

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Any comparison between Hodag 27.5x3.8 and Van Helga 27.5x4.0, especially on dirt singletrack? Does Van Helga work on 45 mm internal width rims?
    i have both VH on i45 rims and i66 rims. i45 feels lighter, especially off the ground. the i45 rounds the profile and the tire carves better. Some people think it has vague steering, but i love it. all i ride is rocky/rooty singletrack.

i use my i45 year round and they are my go to setup. i use my i66 for rain/mud rides.

Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    For my uses, the VH would be way overkill for non-snow rides.... IMHO, the VH is too big for a 50mmish rim and also not suited for dirt riding. I'm guessing it would be really slow condidering the knob size and soft compound. For dirt riding I would look into the Hodag, Cakeater, and even the Vee Crown Gem.
    gen 2 VH on dirt is great, but it is going to be a slow roller compared to most other fat tires. fits a 50mm od rim just fine. i would not go any narrower though.

hodag is the king for the least rolling resistance, but it has a paper thin sidewall. Cake eater is a great tire, but i have had no luck with the bead retention. Vee crown gem is has a hard/odd compound and it didn't work at all for me.

all depends on what your goals are.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    finally got the proper Fox fork yesterday to finish the setup, can't wait!

you found a fox fork that fits 27.5 x 4.5? that sounds very interesting.

mtbr member
    you found a fox fork that fits 27.5 x 4.5? that sounds very interesting.
    Nope, not what I said. I now have a Fox fork that fits the 27.5x3.8 Hodag.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Nope, not what I said. I now have a Fox fork that fits the 27.5x3.8 Hodag.
    my bad, I got mixed up reading your post. I saw some key words and got tunnel vision.
    Last edited by adumb; 04-30-2020 at 03:10 PM. Reason: grammer

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    "27.5X4 Who's excited? Who's not?"
    if 26" fat equates to roughly 29" dia, then whats the 27.5" equate to, 31" dia.

Very Interesting

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post

Very Interesting
    They have a range.
    My 26x4.8 are a bit taller on 80mm than on 90mm.
    Obviously the 27.5x3.8 are not as tall as the 4.5
    Than from brand to brand you will see variations.
    I demoed some 27.5x3.8 on snow they need firm snow
    compared to my 26x4.8 so less float.
    Go to 4.5 than a small frame will have your toes in contact with your studs.
    That is why upnorth we prefer the 26 and also more
    tires and rim choices.
    Any fat is about TIRES, the right ones for our use
    with the right PSI for the surface.

HOJ
    mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Thanks for answers, probably going with Hodags then.

mtbr member

Very Interesting
    It doesn't just depend on the rim diameter, it depends on the tire width as well. A 26x5.05 tire(widest available) is going to be quite a bit taller than a 26x3.8. With 27.5, the widest current tire is 4.5. And, as mentioned, it also depends on rim width somewhat.

WNC Native
    Has anyone had their hands on the 27.5 Maxxis Colossus to get any thoughts and/or measurements off of it?

Rippin da fAt
    Has anyone had their hands on the 27.5 Maxxis Colossus to get any thoughts and/or measurements off of it?
    Wut? TireJunky, where?
    Doctor recommended...

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Wut? TireJunky, where?
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...black-dual-exo

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The same price as a trucks tire.

Rippin da fAt
    The same price as a trucks tire.
    Matt, I remember Bud/Lou at 170 each without studs...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Fat B Nimble is labeled as 27.5 x 3.5 but it's a fair bit smaller than advertised, just like the 26' version
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 0
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Do you have some of the 27.5x3.5 FBNs? I'm after something this size too and was thinking about getting some. I'd like to know if they are truly undrersized as people assert, or if they're just "narrow." I have the 29x3 FBN and 26x4.8 big fatty (same thing from same mfgr., chao yang, but labeled differently) and, in both cases they're true-to-size or even bigger than many similarly-labeled tires AS MEASURED IN THE VERTICAL DIMENSION, but significantly narrower as measured in the width dimension. Since overall diameter is what I'm after this works well for me. Tire still deforms to provide good float and traction. I could see the sidewalls being a bit squirmier in hard cornering with the tall/narrow shape, but that's not a big issue for me on this bike. If you have some, is there any chance you could share some measurements of the overall diameter?
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    Do you have some of the 27.5x3.5 FBNs? I'm after something this size too and was thinking about getting some. I'd like to know if they are truly undrersized as people assert, or if they're just "narrow." I have the 29x3 FBN and 26x4.8 big fatty (same thing from same mfgr., chao yang, but labeled differently) and, in both cases they're true-to-size or even bigger than many similarly-labeled tires AS MEASURED IN THE VERTICAL DIMENSION, but significantly narrower as measured in the width dimension. Since overall diameter is what I'm after this works well for me. Tire still deforms to provide good float and traction. I could see the sidewalls being a bit squirmier in hard cornering with the tall/narrow shape, but that's not a big issue for me on this bike. If you have some, is there any chance you could share some measurements of the overall diameter?
    I don't have the 27.5 version, i did have the 26x 4 and it was very narrow not to mention fragile. I tore a sidewall in the first week i had it.

I only knew the 27.5 existed when i saw it last week while looking for summer rubber for my fat wheels. I blew the hub on my 29+ setup and didn't want to roll the studded Gnarwhals on dirt.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

Rippin da fAt
    27.5 version is 2.8...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Wait which tire is 27.5x2.8? Panaracers site says FBN is 27.5x3.50 & 29x3.0.

Rippin da fAt
    Wait which tire is 27.5x2.8? Panaracers site says FBN is 27.5x3.50 & 29x3.0.
    Tire label says 3.5, my caliper says 2.8 on i45's.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Damn that's bad. Reminds me of the WTB Trailblazer that says 2.8 but measures out to 2.45. So If I have i40 wheels & fork can hold a max of 3.0, I could use this tire & not worry about clerance?

Rippin da fAt
    Damn that's bad. Reminds me of the WTB Trailblazer that says 2.8 but measures out to 2.45. So If I have i40 wheels & fork can hold a max of 3.0, I could use this tire & not worry about clerance?
    I felt like they hosed me right in the ass. Emailed em on it and they didn't take kindly. Maybe they should pay for 20 gallons of gas and receive 13...

VH, mounted on AlexRims Blizzerk 27.5 x 70 rim (i64) Pressure maintained at 12 PSI for two weeks for stretch.
    Height measures 30" with no load.

Intention of use: Loose forest animal trails and other fatbike centered riding. At the moment 8 PSI will be the max pressure and 5-6 for most riding.
    Last edited by BansheeRune; 06-05-2020 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Add info...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I feel you as I've been there. I was so crestfallen too when I found out the tires are mis labled. A 3.5 tires that measure out to 2.8 in fact that could be an issue depending on the tim size. Had someone tell me 2.45 tire on a i40 rim, the tire is on the narrower side of things.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Been riding Jumbo Jim 4.8 on the rear and Gnarwal 27.5x4,5 on the front here in the UK for the past 2000 miles. Excellent combo. JJ 4.8 on the rear has great speed and float and decent grip in the mud at low psi’s.
    And the Gnarwal on the front is the roll over grip monster.
    The OD of the JJ 4.8 is slightly less than the Gnarwal so I guess it’s slackened the steering a tad.

This is on a 2017 Mukluk. My favourite setup so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    So what is the minimum clearance from center knob to arch you’d feel comfy with? I just mounted a 27.5x4 Van Helga studded 120 tpi tire inflated to 7 psi on to a 650bx53mm wide carbon wheel and have 6-6.35mm clearance from the center knob to the arch.

I am not confident that there is enough room for mud & snow, but if anyone can tell me from real-life experience I should run this...

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Staktup View Post
    So what is the minimum clearance from center knob to arch you’d feel comfy with? I just mounted a 27.5x4 Van Helga studded 120 tpi tire inflated to 7 psi on to a 650bx53mm wide carbon wheel and have 6-6.35mm clearance from the center knob to the arch.

I am not confident that there is enough room for mud & snow, but if anyone can tell me from real-life experience I should run this...
    Mud is something I try to stay away from but mud/snow are not the considerations. I take into account the gravel the treads grab and throw at you. When the clearance is tight, a chunk can fly like a bullet.

6mm is plenty of clearance to ride however, I would prefer more.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Mud is something I try to stay away from but mud/snow are not the considerations. I take into account the gravel the treads grab and throw at you. When the clearance is tight, a chunk can fly like a bullet.

6mm is plenty of clearance to ride however, I would prefer more.
    You have to watch. Under the sun tires do expand and from nowhere you will start earing your studs touching the frame. My studded tires are not out until mid november or about when ice appears. Some complain about loosing studs on roots or rocks. I just switch from my fat to another bike each great on different ground.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    You have to watch. Under the sun tires do expand and from nowhere you will start earing your studs touching the frame. My studded tires are not out until mid november or about when ice appears. Some complain about loosing studs on roots or rocks. I just switch from my fat to another bike each great on different ground.
    While this is true to some extent, consider clearance with max inflation or well stretched tires that don't change dimension with pressure any longer.
    I run my plusser in snow BMX with friends every winter. It is a chore to prep the track but worth every minute spent! Run the Mayor all winter cause fat works very well. Ice is not really abundant but champagne powder is.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I doubt I would ever inflate this tire more than 12
    psi...

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Just curious, for everyday trail riding through rocky, rooty, single track, what are everyone's preferred tire pressures for a 27.5 x 3.8 tire on a 80 mm rim? Obviously it's dependent upon rider weight, but I was wondering what ranges everyone is using. Thanks
    2015 giant glory
    2019 pivot trail 429
    2020 growler american stout

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oobaa47 View Post
    Just curious, for everyday trail riding through rocky, rooty, single track, what are everyone's preferred tire pressures for a 27.5 x 3.8 tire on a 80 mm rim? Obviously it's dependent upon rider weight, but I was wondering what ranges everyone is using. Thanks
    We don't have overly rocky or rooty terrain, but 11 psi at each end (with a suspension fork) seems to be what I've settled on.

EDIT: I now realize my rims are 65mm. Oops!
    Last edited by Thaumaturge; 06-27-2020 at 06:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oobaa47 View Post
    It 's dependent on a number of factors including rider weight, tire and rim in question, trail type, riding style, etc.

Unless you are very heavy, i'd say 10psi is a good starting point. Try 10 and then drop 1/2 psi for the next ride. Keep doing that until you go too low, and then go up 1/2 psi again. You'll know you're too low when the tire rolls in corners, bottoms out, or just feels like it 'wallows'. 11 psi seem pretty high to me, I've settled at around 7-8 with Hodag on 50mm rims, 200lb rider.

Also, hopefully you're using a quality pressure gauge and not relying on the gauge on your pump, which is wildly inaccurate at these low pressures.

mtbr member
    Wut? TireJunky, where?
    They are stock on the Giant Yukon
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Has anyone measured the heigt of vanhelga 27.5 x 4.0 tyre and barbegazi 27.5 x 4.5 tyre on the same rim?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elandy View Post
    Has anyone measured the heigt of vanhelga 27.5 x 4.0 tyre and barbegazi 27.5 x 4.5 tyre on the same rim?
    No height measurements, but I'm guessing the Barbegazi would be taller based on the bead-to-bead measurements:

27.5" B-Fat tires Flat bead to bead:

Gnarwhal 4.5" = 245mm
    Gnarwhal 4.0" = 210mm
    Barbagazi 4.5 = 255mm
    Hodag 3.8" = 210mm
    Dillinger 4 = 230mm
    Dillinger 5 = 241mm
    Van Helga 4 = 229mm
    Cake Eater 4.0 = 217mm
    Cake Eater 4.5 = 260mm
    FBF 3.8 EXO = 210mm
    FBR 3.8 EXO = 210mm

Source: https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/de...s-1119845.html
    Trek Farley Family
    Rage Red 9.8 ROARange 7
    Blue Smoke 9.6 Viper Red 7

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by elandy View Post
    I had a 60 TPI Barbegazi on a Mulefut 65 and now have a Gen 1 120 TPI VanHelga on a Lythic 70. If I remember correctly, they are within a 1/8" of each other on height. My Gen 1 VH is 30.7" tall new sitting at 15 psi after a couple days to stretch. Seems like my Barbi was 30.6" tall on my Mulefut 65, but I can't remember the pressure it was at when I measured.

Keep in mind also that the new Gen 2 27.5x4 VanHelga is around 29.75" tall after the redesign.

Rippin da fAt
    I think they discovered that they gave us too much tire and had to downsize it some and make it seem like they were getting one over on us! (For those that don't know what sarcasm is...)
    Doctor recommended...

WNC Native
    I think they discovered that they gave us too much tire and had to downsize it some and make it seem like they were getting one over on us! (For those that don't know what sarcasm is...)
    Right!? Dang those manufactures complaining about it being too tall!!!

Rippin da fAt
    That height redux also trimmed the fatness... :/
    Glad I got the hookup at the LBS on a pair of Gen 1 of the VH's.
    Doctor recommended...

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    I think they discovered that they gave us too much tire and had to downsize it some and make it seem like they were getting one over on us!
    that was me that put that out there. or, well, on this forum anyway...

I spoke with numerous people at 45nrth, then finally got a guy that knew what i was talking about. i don't remember his name, i have my notes at work... i did bitch to him that i had a bike built around the gen1 VH, and they changed the damn tire... then he told me the manufacturers bitched, and they matter and i don't... thus the Gen2 VH! :P
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

Rippin da fAt
    that was me that put that out there. or, well, on this forum anyway...

I spoke with numerous people at 45nrth, then finally got a guy that knew what i was talking about. i don't remember his name, i have my notes at work... i did bitch to him that i had a bike built around the gen1 VH, and they changed the damn tire... then he told me the manufacturers bitched, and they matter and i don't... thus the Gen2 VH! :P
    Maxxis' FBR is notably smaller volume than the gen 1 VH. Rubber compound is meh with the FBR. Would love to see an Escalator 180 TPI for snow return to the lineup.

On another front, we as plus bike owners and consumers couldn't care less about 2.6 but the manufacturers think we all have a boner for 2.freakin6. Frankly, I have zero interest in minus tires for my plussers.
    The mid fat is really designed around 4.0 and here we go again, minus being shoved up the orifice they choose!
    Doctor recommended...

WNC Native
    that was me that put that out there
    Yep, think you informed me of that through FB messages

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I am glad to still be on my 20 speeds 2017 Specialized on 26.
    Lots of rims and tire options.
    The old proven shines compared to many new ***a la mode***
    The new is made to generate sales not for consumers too often.
    I love the 4.8 for suspension, for traction and flotation.

On 27.5 the 2.8/3.0 has lots of potential after the snow/ice season

I am glad to still be on my 20 speeds 2017 Specialized on 26.
    Lots of rims and tire options.
    The old proven shines compared to many new ***a la mode***
    The new is made to generate sales not for consumers too often.
    I love the 4.8 for suspension, for traction and flotation.

On 27.5 the 2.8/3.0 has lots of potential after the snow/ice season

Your post -- and perspective -- summarized into photo form:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-screen-shot-2020-06-25-8.27.26-am.png  

mtbr member
    Your post -- and perspective -- summarized into photo form:
    LOL!

I suspect Red was a child of the late 50's/early 60's when a 14"/15" car/truck wheel was the gold standard.
    I was too, but all my vehicles today run on at least 20's and I have grown with advances in technology.

I even remember when car/truck tires once had inner-tubes,
    and when Bias Ply tires were the norm until steel belted radials became standard equipment.

Keep moving forward or get left behind like a turd from the herd.

26's will be around for a good while yet, not going to argue that at all.
    But the 27.5 (and 29er +) list grows more every year as more bike builders jump on the latest trends.
    Trek Farley Family
    Rage Red 9.8 ROARange 7

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckMountainMan View Post
    LOL!

I suspect Red was a child of the late 50's/early 60's when a 14"/15" car/truck wheel was the gold standard.
    I was too, but all my vehicles today run on at least 20's and I have grown with advances in technology.

I even remember when car/truck tires once had inner-tubes,
    and when Bias Ply tires were the norm until steel belted radials became standard equipment.

Keep moving forward or get left behind like a turd from the herd.

26's will be around for a good while yet, not going to argue that at all.
    But the 27.5 (and 29er +) list grows more every year as more bike builders jump on the latest trends.
    Yes i remember these days when we learned to write and add.
    Now they are so much improved that they need smart phones.
    What a shame.

mtbr member
    Yes i remember these days when we learned to write and add.
    Now they are so much improved that they need smart phones.
    What a shame.
    Technological advancements are not always a bad thing.
    Your smartphone analogy is a strawman argument, but I'll bite,
    ...Try making an emergency call on a remote trail from one of these in your backpack...

Name:  rotary_dial.png
Views: 207
Size:  65.5 KB
    Trek Farley Family
    Rage Red 9.8 ROARange 7

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Technological advancements are not always a bad thing.
    Your smartphone analogy is a strawman argument, but I'll bite,
    ...Try making an emergency call on a remote trail from one of these in your backpack...

Name:  rotary_dial.png
Views: 207
Size:  65.5 KB
    exactly my point.
    We are not depending on stuff.
    Look around you, most pop pills, pharmacies, doctors, clinics at each corner,
    na i do not call that better/progress.
    No cell phone = no bill = smart guy.
    You cannot say the planet is in better shape than 40 years ago.
    The average weight is higher not the IQ.

mtbr member
    exactly my point.
    We are not depending on stuff.
    Look around you, most pop pills, pharmacies, doctors, clinics at each corner,
    na i do not call that better/progress.
    No cell phone = no bill = smart guy.
    You cannot say the planet is in better shape than 40 years ago.
    The average weight is higher not the IQ.
    What did your Fat Bike look like 40 years ago?

You know you could probably avoid coming across as a total hypocrite
    by selling your computer/laptop and cancelling your internet subscription too.

For someone who considers themselves so "smart" and values higher IQ,
    you have the among the worst grammar, syntax and diction I've witnessed on this forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Trek Farley Family
    Rage Red 9.8 ROARange 7

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    What did your Fat bike look like 40 years ago?

You know you could probably avoid coming across as a total hypocrite
    by selling your computer/laptop and cancelled your internet subscription too.

For someone who considers themselves so "smart" and values higher IQ,
    you have the among the worst grammar, syntax and diction I've witnessed on this forum.
    Are u offering me 10$ for my 8 years old laptop?

mtbr member
    Are u offering me 10$ for my 8 years old laptop?
    Even Better, I'm offering you a straight trade for a pair of crappy old 26" fat tires,
    ...and if you cover shipping, I'll throw in a box of screws from the local hardware store for your Quebec Winters.

Trek Farley Family
    Rage Red 9.8 ROARange 7

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    i use Bud/Lou with grip studs.
    Like u said, my safety is in my hands/tires at minus 30.

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    ...the late 50's/early 60's when a 14"/15" car/truck wheel was the gold standard.
    Regarding vehicles, my argument here is that smaller truck wheel sizes had higher aspect ratio tires. I prefer 16” wheels and minimum 75% aspect ratio. Higher aspect gives more cushion, and better ability to modulate pressure and resulting traction/flotation. Modern “advances” to larger wheel sizes have reduced off-road performance/usability and transmit more on-Road NVH (to the vehicle, occupants, etc.).

Back to fat bikes, for the same reasons I prefer the fattest 26” tires I can run.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hey folks,it seems some of you are running 3.8 tires on 80mm wide rims with success.I have recently seen a very good deal on a pair of Sunringle Mulefats for about 300$US(brand new) so im thinking of buying them to go on my new Fatillac frame.Im just wondering how wide can you go with a tire on a 80mm rim with a 177mm rear axle width? Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Am running Gnarwahl 27.5 x 4 for winter.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    4.4 Jumbo Jims on 80mm, 177 wozo
    bumpy, please don't confuse things. bikemad was referring to 27.5 tires, as the thread title states... :P

with the clearly larger than advertised 45nrth variants, you are not going to get anything wider then a 3.8/4" tire on the back of a Fatillac.

Personally, I run 4" on a 27.5x70 rim and 4" on a 27.5x50 rim on my fatillacs. 80mm is too wide for a 4", especially around here. they literally get destroyed. YMMV.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    The limiting factor in what tire you can run will be your frame not your rim width. on an 80mm rim you could run a 2.6 or a 4.5. both will fit and both will work, albeit the 2.6 will end up crushing your rim on rocks and the profile will be all wonky. Personally I like to have more tire width than rim for protection against the aforementioned rocks. 3.8 on an 80mm rim is just asking for rim damage. if this will be a purely winter setup then it may work but 3.8 is a poor choice for most winter conditions. if you are set on running 3.8's I would look at a 65mm or even 50mm rim if this is going to be a summer setup.

Just for kicks here is a 2.2 race king on a 80mm wheel set
    27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-img_5339.jpg27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-img_5341.jpg27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-img_5340.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    bumpy, please don't confuse things. bikemad was referring to 27.5 tires, as the thread title states... :P

with the clearly larger than advertised 45nrth variants, you are not going to get anything wider then a 3.8/4" tire on the back of a Fatillac.

Personally, I run 4" on a 27.5x70 rim and 4" on a 27.5x50 rim on my fatillacs. 80mm is too wide for a 4", especially around here. they literally get destroyed. YMMV.
    Sorry, missed the 27.5
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Cheers Rodney.I just spent a good while going through your fatillac thread and watching your videos so im stoked you jumped in so quickly and responded.Im not set on 80mm wide rims,I actually allready have a set of 55mm 27.5 that I run with 3.8 minions.But it is such a good deal for the wheel set i thought it might be worth persueing.I just need the rear hub fixed on my 27.5 rear wheel.Im running a set of Dice ollie x26x55mm with a 4.6 dpesh ground control currently on my rock candy that has a 177mm rear axle width,which just fits in side the chain line.The fatillac will definately be an upgrade after reading how well the fatillac rides

mtbr member
    Trek Farley Family
    Rage Red 9.8 ROARange 7

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678