27.5X4 Who's excited? Who's not? - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Pure Evil
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    So, wait.. are there TWO new sizes coming out, a 4.5 and a 4.8?
    Just one for now, 27.5x4.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    |Trek Bicycle Corporation|

Stalk me on Instagram

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    So I just thought I was loving my 26x4.5 Barbegazi!
    Just leave it out in the sun for a few days @20psi and it should stretch enough to get close to those 27.5 measurements. You can send me the money you just saved on wheels/tires if it is burning a hole in your pocket.
    ‘19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Just leave it out in the sun for a few days @20psi and it should stretch enough to get close to those 27.5 measurements. You can send me the money you just saved on wheels/tires if it is burning a hole in your pocket.
    You don't have to like the idea, nor the execution. But spreading half-truths to fit your version of how you want to see the world isn't helping anyone. Not even you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So are more folks excited about having a really tall fat tire or is it more about having a fat tire/mid fat tire combo that'll work on one wheelset?

Fossil
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    You don't have to like the idea, nor the execution. But spreading half-truths to fit your version of how you want to see the world isn't helping anyone. Not even you.
    I may have to steal that quote. It works everywhere, not just in biking. ;-)
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

Fossil
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    So are more folks excited about having a really tall fat tire or is it more about having a fat tire/mid fat tire combo that'll work on one wheelset?
    Just a tall guy (>6'3") that loves choices.
    DB Dirt Club
    DBs on Dirt since 2010

WNC Native
    Just leave it out in the sun for a few days @20psi and it should stretch enough to get close to those 27.5 measurements.
    Ummmm

I'm going with Both!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

bigger than you.
    yes to the latter, but for me and my bucksaw, it seems that Barbegazzi is not the one tire to rule them all. I love the 27.5 Hodag, but a tire that was 1/2" wider and only a little taller would be great.

mtbr member
    Speaking for myself only, because I think I'm more single-minded or one-dimensional than most people here:

I'm excited about this for precisely the opposite reason: I want fat and mid fat tires that both work with the same DIAMETER. So one bike/geometry, but multiple wheels.

Even more narrowly, what I really want is to be able to use the fatter one in the front paired with the mid-fat in the rear, which is what makes it critical that the diameters match.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    The whole wheel size thing is very interesting to me. Pleople get all worked up that 27.5" isn't 1.5" bigger than 26". According to the rim sizes, (584 - 559) it's 25mm bigger, which is 0.98". But nobody complains that a 29er rim is not 3" bigger than a 26" rim. 622 - 559 = 63mm, which is 2.48". Somebody lied to me about my 29ers!

So there you have it. If someone made the exact same fat tire in 26" and 27.5", the 27.5" tire would be 25mm bigger in diameter, all else being equal. That is noticeable. Don't blame the wheel size for Bontrager's inability to make tires to their rated sizes.

mtbr member
    I've got a Mukluk with 3.8" tires on Marge Lites. I've also have some 27.5" x 3.25" VT Fattys on 50mm rims that I got to see if I liked that tire size. After trying the 27.5+ setup, now I want two things, I want to try 29" x 3" tires, and I want a tubeless specific 3.8" setup. If I can find a true 27.5" x 3.8" tire that would let me see if I like the diameter of the 29" x 3" by buying just a set of tires instead of a wheelset. And if I like it enough then I'm set on my tubeless 3.8" tire also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    You can send me the money you just saved on wheels/tires if it is burning a hole in your pocket.
    Sorry-didn't realize my comments could be hurting your bottom line. I don't make any money from the bike industry and sometimes forget there are some good guys that are dependent on it for their livelihood.

With just a few quick shakedown rides on them, my initial impressions are that 26 x 4" just became completely obsolete -- except for kids.
    I'll go back to riding my obsolete kid's bike now.
    Last edited by Paochow; 03-17-2016 at 12:53 PM.
    ‘19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Son of a beach.....I'm confused.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    I like both ideas but having the choice to run either size on my 27.5 rims is cool. I would like wider tires for the winter here in Maine without having to buy a whole new wheelset. I do enjoy riding my Farley with the Hodags on hard pack dirt though.

mtbr member
    I think I'm excited because it means I have a new option for my 5" tire bike.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this nicely splits the difference between the 29+ w/ 3" tires and 26er w/ 5" tires, while keeping almost the exact same circumference. No worries about the BB being higher or lower based on tire/rim choice.

...right?

mtbr member
    I don't have a bud, but surly quote it as 762mm diameter.

http://surlybikes.com/uploads/downlo...Geometries.pdf

Most of the 29+ tyres I have are 766-770mm diameter (chronicle, chupa, knard)

The Hodag I have is 745mm and the flowbeist is iirc about the same, maybe 750mm?

My nates on hed big deal for reference were 737mm.

Obviously when you ride a bike the tyres compress, more at lower psi, so the working radius will be less on fatter tyres typically- you might take off 5mm or more. So - the 27.5 barbi is directly comparable to a 29+ as it might compress only a few mm more than a 29+ ...
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So, wait.. are there TWO new sizes coming out, a 4.5 and a 4.8?
    Dunno. There are just pictures that Trek allowed out but they are not close enough to provide detail or measurements. Smart marketing guys, good to keep the buzz going on your product line. See? It's working.

J.

mtbr member
    post #601 by [TA] mentions that there is just the 4.5, presently. he is one of the frame design crew at trek.

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

mtbr member
    I may have missed a discussion of this elsewhere, but it is interesting in light of the discussion we've been having in this thread, regarding relative heights and how they're measured. In fact it's almost as if Surly have been reading this, because they recently updated their tire geometry chart using a different methodology, and the numbers have changed considerably:

Tires!!* Geometry Chart Update | Blog | Surly Bikes

1. They discuss the various common measuring methods as we have, dismissed the find-the-circumference-then-calculate-the-diameter method as inconsistent, and the measure-the-vertical-height as too difficult, and gone with a specialized "fixture" - presumably like the giant caliper @dRjOn described on pg 14.

2. They are now taking their measurements at MAXIMUM pressure, instead of at a logical riding pressure, just as Trek is doing. To me this is completely irrelevant information, but I guess I understand why.

So long story short - the Bud just "grew" to 775.5 mm tall. Some of that is the tall knobs. The 4.8 Knard (which is what I'm using but hoping to replace with the Barbegazi) grew to 771.5mm tall. It is actually the bigger casing, but has shorter knobs.

http://surlybikes.com//uploads/downl...o_Chart_v2.pdf

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    There is another thread asking if anyone gets teased for riding a fat bike. I'd never thought of teasing fat bikers until....now. Nothing against the bikes, those are cool, but it seems the riders skew pretty hard toward the nerd end of the spectrum.

Obviously I put myself in that group. Nerd on!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post
    There is another thread asking if anyone gets teased for riding a fat bike. I'd never thought of teasing fat bikers until....now. Nothing against the bikes, those are cool, but it seems the riders skew pretty hard toward the nerd end of the spectrum.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Ironically, the reason I'm following and thinking about this thread so much is because I feel like, after more than 30 years of mountain biking, I'm finally >this< close to nailing down the perfect setup for me.

If I can just... get... this... one... last.. missing piece in place - the correct diameter/volume front tire - I'll never be spend time on these forums again, because I'll have everything I've ever needed. Except this lamp...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I may have missed a discussion of this elsewhere, but it is interesting in light of the discussion we've been having in this thread, regarding relative heights and how they're measured. In fact it's almost as if Surly have been reading this, because they recently updated their tire geometry chart using a different methodology, and the numbers have changed considerably:

Tires!!* Geometry Chart Update | Blog | Surly Bikes

1. They discuss the various common measuring methods as we have, dismissed the find-the-circumference-then-calculate-the-diameter method as inconsistent, and the measure-the-vertical-height as too difficult, and gone with a specialized "fixture" - presumably like the giant caliper @dRjOn described on pg 14.

2. They are now taking their measurements at MAXIMUM pressure, instead of at a logical riding pressure, just as Trek is doing. To me this is completely irrelevant information, but I guess I understand why.

So long story short - the Bud just "grew" to 775.5 mm tall. Some of that is the tall knobs. The 4.8 Knard (which is what I'm using but hoping to replace with the Barbegazi) grew to 771.5mm tall. It is actually the bigger casing, but has shorter knobs.

http://surlybikes.com//uploads/downl...o_Chart_v2.pdf
    I have noticed this with my Bud- it keeps growing. I've had to trim tire hairs that keep rubbing on the fender. Downside is since I only use it as a winter tire, if it keeps growing it won't fit in my Bluto long before it actually wears out.

My sarcasm obviously went over Mike C's head earlier when I joked about stretching a Barbi in the sun, but in my experience, tires stretch quite a bit especially when set up tubeless. If not I'd still be riding with a D5 on my Bucksaw, and wouldn't need a new Bud down the road to fit in the Bluto.
    ‘19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Matterhorn View Post

Those that ride fatbikes are smart enough to realize that they are a better weapon for tackling difficult terrain, so yes the nerd quotient is higher. That being said, we are also smart enough to realize (or have been suckered enough times in the past), that just because someone says something is bigger/better/etc. doesn't always mean it is.

Back in the day it was a speaker brand that used the motto: Better sound through research, to which audiophiles used say "Better sound through marketing". Sure the speakers cost more and every store would push them as they gave good profits and free speakers to the employee. But if you actually applied science and measurements, you'd see the speakers had giant holes in the audible frequency range, and had poor construction like undersized paper drivers. Walk into a stereo shop though and they were being pushed like crack and "Ignorance is bliss" customers overpaid for them.

That being said, we are just talking about wheels and tires here, and although important, they aren't going to make a good rider into a great rider or even a bad rider into an average one. The guys that are the fastest at the local singletrack or sitting on the podium on race day, would be in a similar position with any decent tire/rim combo.
    ‘19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    I think I'm excited because it means I have a new option for my 5" tire bike.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this nicely splits the difference between the 29+ w/ 3" tires and 26er w/ 5" tires, while keeping almost the exact same circumference. No worries about the BB being higher or lower based on tire/rim choice.

...right?
    This is my understanding as well.

However, this thread seems to be debating the premise in theory vs execution. Some are upset that the "27.5/650b" rim size isn't exactly between 26&29. Leading to undersized tire diameters on 27.5/650b sized rims. This refers to tire/rim widths across the spectrum.
    Haters gonna hate. Trollers gotta troll. Lurker's first post?

Personally, I hope someone knowledgeable chimes in to illuminate the casing size difference between the hodag 3.8 and the barbegazi 4.0 or 4.5. This is the fine line between B+ and true Bfat.

Knowing that Maxxis is on the horizon with DHF and FBF/FBR in almost all these new sizes could make for and interesting contrast /comparo. between 26x4.8--27.5x3.8--29x3.0

may you live in interesting times

mtbr member
    A little Birdie inside @ Trek gave the thumbs up on sharing dims, so here's what I've got:

Bontrager ~80mm rims, tubeless, at ~11psi (last ride finished with ~25 miles of pavement), tires have been used enough to account for stretch:
    111mm casing width, 768.35 total O.D. including knobs.

Some visuals here:

Big Wheel Building: Heading out.
    OK, so the Barbi on Mikesee's photo says 27.5 x 4.5

Someone later says it's actually 4.5 wide.

Will this tire fit on the current Farley 9, 9.6, 9.8 rims and clear the fork and rear stays?

I'm considering buying a current 9.6 but would need wider rubber for winter use...I'd like to avoid having to buy a 26x5 wheelset.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    OK, so the Barbi on Mikesee's photo says 27.5 x 5.

Someone later says it's actually 4.5 wide.

Will this tire fit on the current Farley 9, 9.6, 9.8 rims and clear the fork and rear stays?

I'm considering buying a current 9.6 but would need wider rubber for winter use...I'd like to avoid having to buy a 26x5 wheelset.
    No, the tires in Mike's pictures say 27.5 x 4.50. And I am pretty sure they will fit in the current Farley frames. Maybe [TA] will chime in, he should have that info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    No, the tires in Mike's pictures say 27.5 x 4.50. And I am pretty sure they will fit in the current Farley frames. Maybe [TA] will chime in, he should have that info.
    you're right, sorry I edited my post.

Just need confirmation it will fit the current 27.5 equipped Farley's

Thanks
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

Pure Evil
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    you're right, sorry I edited my post.

Just need confirmation it will fit the current 27.5 equipped Farley's

Thanks
    The new tire fits the current Farley just fine (both alloy and carbon). Depending on your clearance needs you can even slam the drops all the way forward, if that's your thing.

|Trek Bicycle Corporation|

Stalk me on Instagram

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [TA] View Post
    The new tire fits the current Farley just fine (both alloy and carbon). Depending on your clearance needs you can even slam the drops all the way forward, if that's your thing.

Thank you sir!
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    so anyone trying the chupacbra 27.5 x 2.8 on their Farley yet? or any other in that size? Got a 9 and rippin it up for a while now on the Hodags.... my shop guy talked me into trying those tires on the bike mounted to the rims.. going to save over 2lbs on that tire! Hope my bb doesn't suffer a lot.. don't think it will but will corner like crazy.

thoughts?

cheers!
    k n o ll y r o c k s

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro View Post
    so anyone trying the chupacbra 27.5 x 2.8 on their Farley yet? or any other in that size? Got a 9 and rippin it up for a while now on the Hodags.... my shop guy talked me into trying those tires on the bike mounted to the rims.. going to save over 2lbs on that tire! Hope my bb doesn't suffer a lot.. don't think it will but will corner like crazy.

thoughts?

cheers!
    2.8's on the stock 80's? the profile is going to be really square
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

bigger than you.

thoughts?

cheers!
    i could see doing it on 45mm rms, but on 80's? it will bring the suckitude, fast.

mtbr member
    I thought about the profile on those but now that you mention it..yeah.. interesting.. but i'll try one mounted to the rear to see how it fits before buying.. my shop guy is cool and wants to experiment I guess. -) Let me ask you guys.. what tires would you fit on those rims in the 27.5 version if any? A few out there go up to 3.25.

thanks!
    k n o ll y r o c k s

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    With that tire/rim combo Not much rubber or air volume will be left to protect your expensive rims. Make sure to keep the psi high.
    ‘19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

bigger than you.
    Let me ask you guys.. what tires would you fit on those rims in the 27.5 version if any? A few out there go up to 3.25.

thanks!
    honestly, i think those rims are too wide for anything but fat tires, unless you find plus slicks for road riding, i wouldn't bother.

mtbr member
    With that tire/rim combo Not much rubber or air volume will be left to protect your expensive rims. Make sure to keep the psi high.
    hummm.... yeah I'm a big guy at 250 too that rides hard if I can... I saw the picture on this thread with the side by side on page 14 I believe with the Hodags and Chupie 29+... guess my brain was thinking about 27+ not being that much differ...etc for that rim.. seeing them side by side in the bike shop also isn't too bad either. hummm... trying to get away with tires for that rim without buying a new set of rims like the WTB Scrapers..etc.
    k n o ll y r o c k s

mtbr member
    hummm.... yeah I'm a big guy at 250 too that rides hard if I can... I saw the picture on this thread with the side by side on page 14 I believe with the Hodags and Chupie 29+... guess my brain was thinking about 27+ not being that much differ...etc for that rim.. seeing them side by side in the bike shop also isn't too bad either. hummm... trying to get away with tires for that rim without buying a new set of rims like the WTB Scrapers..etc.
    If you are going to buy a new set of rims you should definitely go 29+.

Lord Thunderbottom
    FWIW I'm about the same weight as you and I went with a set of scrapers in 27.5 and kept the hodags, it rounds out the profile while still leaving a ton of tire to protect rims from rocks etc as well as keeping the cushy ride

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    FWIW I'm about the same weight as you and I went with a set of scrapers in 27.5 and kept the hodags, it rounds out the profile while still leaving a ton of tire to protect rims from rocks etc as well as keeping the cushy ride
    +1 I love the hodags on my 45mm WTB Scrapers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    +1 I love the hodags on my 45mm WTB Scrapers.
    Can you post a picture of what this setup looks like?!

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    I also would like to see pics of this setup.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-%40knobs.jpg27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-%40casing.jpg
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BCiKPlbI69G/
    unfortunately, I don't have anything better and i've already switched to 27.5+ for the summer.

Lord Thunderbottom
    My wheels, on not my bike, they will be on my bike later this week (farley 9)

80mm wampa vs 45mm WTB

WNC Native
    Cool, thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Awesome! Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Anyone running fatlab 55 think that might be a good option for all tires on 27.5
    3.0, hodag and new 4.5 ?

Professional Hobbyist
    2.8's on the stock 80's? the profile is going to be really square
    And as you flatten them out, you also lose some more diameter making your bb even lower than it would be on 27.5x2.8 on 45mm rims. This bike is expected to run 29x3, 27.5x4 or 26x5 and has bb drop calculated accordingly. If you have no technical climbing it might be ok but a 29+ wheelset on this bike makes more sense to me...
    Work expands to fit the time allotted...

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK3 View Post
    And as you flatten them out, you also lose some more diameter making your bb even lower than it would be on 27.5x2.8 on 45mm rims. This bike is expected to run 29x3, 27.5x4 or 26x5 and has bb drop calculated accordingly. If you have no technical climbing it might be ok but a 29+ wheelset on this bike makes more sense to me...
    OD does not change with rim width unless the tires stretch, not trying to be rude but this was beaten to death in another thread

Check the surly document for reference http://surlybikes.com//uploads/downl...o_Chart_v2.pdf

Professional Hobbyist
    OD does not change with rim width unless the tires stretch, not trying to be rude but this was beaten to death in another thread

Check the surly document for reference http://surlybikes.com//uploads/downl...o_Chart_v2.pdf
    ummm... You have your opinion. I have mine. We can agree to disagree. I don't think of it as a huge change but in my experience there has been a small change when switching between different rim widths.

I'll see your Surly tire chart and raise you a 45North tire chart that supports my opinion.

http://45nrth.com/files/pages/13193_..._Update_V3.pdf
    Work expands to fit the time allotted...

Flappity flappity flap
    Quote Originally Posted by RPK3 View Post
    ummm... You have your opinion. I have mine. We can agree to disagree. I don't think of it as a huge change but in my experience there has been a small change when switching between different rim widths.

I'll see your Surly tire chart and raise you a 45North tire chart that supports my opinion.

http://45nrth.com/files/pages/13193_..._Update_V3.pdf
    13mm difference in wheel diameter... them's fightin' stats.

mtbr member
    In my experience, at same pressure there is absolutely no change in overall diameter on different width rims, including 45NRTH D5 tires. The 45NRTH chart above must be somehow theoretically calculated.

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    13mm difference in wheel diameter... them's fightin' stats.
    that's called an uncontrolled variable

Sorry-didn't realize my comments could be hurting your bottom line. I don't make any money from the bike industry and sometimes forget there are some good guys that are dependent on it for their livelihood.

I'll go back to riding my obsolete kid's bike now.
    I'm a stickler for fact-based reporting and I could give a rip about sales in this instance. I'm speaking from the position of having ridden both of them. Are you?

The difference in rollover between 26 x 4 and 27.5 x 4 is both substantial and quantifiable. And that says nothing of the more subtle but equally important differences in ride feel and ride quality.

You don't have to like it. You don't even have to try it. But if you're going to spout off about it, you should at least have an experience-based leg to stand on.

bigger than you.
    Boom.

My sweetie and I recently did a 5-day desert traverse using B-fat rims and tires. I had the 4.5" Barbi's, she had the 3.8" Hodag's, both on ~80mm rims.

We both noticed and appreciated the added rollover capability relative to the 26 x 4" or 4.8" tires we've run for similar trips in the past.

Our bikes were heavily laden and unsuspended -- a combo that makes it pretty easy to notice what they'll roll over and what slows or stops them. We both have lots of 'muscle memory' for this sort of thing, which is a fancy way of saying that my evidence is purely anecdotal.

Best quote to sum up what we felt came from Jeny, whom said that she felt like her loaded bike felt more efficient with B-fat tires than it did unloaded with Bud and Lou. How often does adding 40+ pounds of crap to a bike and riding on soft surfaces make it feel more efficient?!

Not often.

Jeny is a non-tech sort, so I asked a series of questions aimed at determining if she was referring to the difference in tread between Bud/Lou and Hodag, or if she meant the way the wheels/tires and thus the overall bike moved through rough terrain. She clarified that she meant the latter -- said the only bike she's ridden that felt more efficient in the rough stuff was her 29+. And we agreed that 29+ simply didn't have enough float for the terrain we were moving through, nor the loads we were hauling.

I'll reiterate that all of our 'evidence' is based on feel, not hard numbers or empirical tests. But the feel was different enough, and positive enough, that it was a slam dunk for us.

YMMV, as our typical summer fatbike use (see link above) is probably not entirely similar to the way most others use them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hello fellow Trek cool aid drinkers! I like the 3.8 x 27.5's too. I ended up studding up a set with power grips this winter, and it made a big difference, but they did not compete with the 26 x 4.8s in deep snow, even at really low pressures. I kept the studs in them and bought another set for the summer. Hopefully Bontrager comes out with a 27.5 x 5 before next winter. More float and more diameter so hopefully out performing the 26 x 5's out there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm a stickler for fact-based reporting and I could give a rip about sales in this instance. I'm speaking from the position of having ridden both of them. Are you?

The difference in rollover between 26 x 4 and 27.5 x 4 is both substantial and quantifiable. And that says nothing of the more subtle but equally important differences in ride feel and ride quality.

You don't have to like it. You don't even have to try it. But if you're going to spout off about it, you should at least have an experience-based leg to stand on.
    That's the thing, I have tried it.

I'll start this out by saying that Trek didn't buy me off with a set of 27.5" Barbis, so I don't have experience on those. But I've ridden plenty on the 27.5's Hodags between demos and riding friends bikes and just don't have the glowing review that you have. Now it could be different terrain, snow composition, bike setup, etc. but for me as a winter tire, they felt more like trying to ride a plus tire in the snow than a real fatbike tire. They roll fast, but at equal pressures seem harsher than 26" tires. If you air them down, you risk blowing out a rim due to the shorter sidewall. They pretty much suck for anything really loose and don't compare to a good 26" tire like the Van Helga in these conditions. We haven't had any summer yet, so no experience there, maybe that is where they do better?

As for the size advantage, it is minuscule at best- 10mm more diameter, 5mm in ride height? Even if it is 20mm more diameter that is only 10mm (.38") more ride height. If you compare Gigantic's pics of the 27.5" tires on the Bucksaw vs a 26" tire, you'll notice there really isn't much difference between the tire and the seat stay bridge with 26" vs 27.5", which in that case is good as there isn't much tire clearance there on a Bucksaw to begin with. You are right there is a quantifiable difference in size- it is 1.3-2.6% bigger. Is this difference substantial- maybe for you, but if someone told me something was going to be substantially better and then gave me something 2.6% better, I'd likely be disappointed.

I think the theory could have been good with these tires, but the reality is not quite there. With the 27.5 Barbi measurements, it appears that they are now downsized fit in a Bluto, so now you have a similar sized tire to a Bud/Lou/JJ/etc. so what did the 27.5 buy you other than reduced sidewall?
    ‘19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Cool, cool, you all have different opinions about tires. Great to hear some solid trip reports, less excited to read what seem to be personal digs.

I'm still excited about 27.5X 4.whatever because as a 29+ rider I love to rollover stuff, but you dudes are bumming me out.

I'll start this out by saying that Trek didn't buy me off with a free set of 27.5" Barbis, so I don't have experience on those.
    Not only not the truth, but that's just a straight up d1ck thing to say. You knew it when you wrote it, and you wrote it anyway. Lame.

But I've ridden plenty on the 27.5's Hodags between demos and riding friends bikes and just don't have the glowing review that you have. Now it could be different terrain, snow composition, bike setup, etc. but for me as a winter tire,

No experience with them on snow -- not enough air volume for the average snowpack out my back door.

I'm talking about this platform strictly from the perspective of summer use -- as a complement to 26 x 5.2" in winter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Not only not the truth, but that's just a straight up d1ck thing to say. You knew it when you wrote it, and you wrote it anyway. Lame.
    Sorry pal, but your reviews and comments like 26" are for kids bikes, read a lot like paid advertisements.

That being said, I've recommended you to at least five people in the past year looking for wheels. Since you've resorted to name calling, I don't think I'll be sending anymore business your way.
    ‘19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

Big wheels keep on rollin
    have you found the 27.5 Fatlab rims anywhere?

mike

mtbr member
    Sorry pal, but your reviews and comments like 26" are for kids bikes, read a lot like paid advertisements.

That being said, I've recommended you to at least five people in the past year looking for wheels. Since you've resorted to name calling, I don't think I'll be sending anymore business your way.
    I don't understand. Mike has repeatedly stated his opinions are for non-snow riding, and you keep talking about winter snow riding.

I completely agree with Mike's assessment of the B fat setup. I swapped form 26 Vanhelga front/26 Hodag rear to 27.5 Hodag front and rear, and immediately noticed a difference. I will also state this is for riding on dirt, not snow. The 26" setup just feels like it's falling into holes and depressions more, whereas the B fat smooths everything out more and keeps momentum better. I can't fit it in the rear, but would love to try one of those 4.5s on the front. Or one of the upcoming Maxxis B fat tires!

And I will continue to point people his way for wheel builds.

bigger than you.
    I don't understand. Mike has repeatedly stated his opinions are for non-snow riding, and you keep talking about winter snow riding.

I completely agree with Mike's assessment of the B fat setup. I swapped form 26 Vanhelga front/26 Hodag rear to 27.5 Hodag front and rear, and immediately noticed a difference. I will also state this is for riding on dirt, not snow. The 26" setup just feels like it's falling into holes and depressions more, whereas the B fat smooths everything out more and keeps momentum better. I can't fit it in the rear, but would love to try one of those 4.5s on the front. Or one of the upcoming Maxxis B fat tires!

And I will continue to point people his way for wheel builds.
    +∞ :-)

Flappity flappity flap
    Same shit, different names...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    From 26" Hodag F/R to 27.5" Hodag F/R in trail rides only, I noticed less bouncing and a more responsive sprint. Handling was crisper and felt reminiscent of a 29+. Hugged baby berms better and felt more balanced in the rock gardens. Guessing it is air volume and sidewall difference is what accounts for this feel.

Setup is on a Farley 8 with Bluto fork, 11psi front and 10.5psi rear, for both 26" and 27.5"...

Sorry, no rides in the snow...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What's the tallest 27.5 x 4" tire?

I have a super secret project in mind

mtbr member
    What's the tallest 27.5 x 4" tire?

I have a super secret project in mind
    There is only one tire at this point, the Bontrager Hodag, so it's the tallest! In the works are the above Bontrager Barbegazi 27.5x4.5 and I think 2 Maxxis 27.5x3.8 or 4.0 tires. No idea when they will be available.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There is only one tire at this point, the Bontrager Hodag, so it's the tallest! In the works are the above Bontrager Barbegazi 27.5x4.5 and I think 2 Maxxis 27.5x3.8 or 4.0 tires. No idea when they will be available.
    Gotcha, it's the potential that has me intrigued, I am all about tall tires for roll over, esp when fat.

So my super secret project: A custom swingarm for the Mutz. Brent said he could do it if I gave him a couple months

It would allow the Mutz to clear 29+, so naturally the thing to then is to run 27.5 x 4 for winter

Vroom, vroom!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Bontrager hit it out of the park with the 26x4.7 Barbis. Perfect summer tire - switching to 27.5 x 3.8" Barbis with a smaller sidewall would be a Gigantic waste of money for me personally. So far there's no setup that's more versatile - depending on who you are.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    A 5" tire for summer?

Maybe if if you ride mostly on the beach, but you're not talking about the beach... why the hell anyone would want to haul that much friction around all year round is a strange concept to me.

I'm interested in the taller 4" tire for increased rollover compared to a 26 x 4 and because it's closer in height to a 29+; better for a one bike/two wheelset option.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    Bontrager hit it out of the park with the 26x4.7 Barbis. Perfect summer tire - switching to 27.5 x 3.8" Barbis with a smaller sidewall would be a Gigantic waste of money for me personally. So far there's no setup that's more versatile - depending on who you are.

mtbr member
    I agree with Nurse Ben, I don't think a 4.7 tire equates to a perfect summer tire at all. For my needs, the 3.8 makes a great winter tire, and something around 3.25 is my preference for summer.

WNC Native
    Bontrager hit it out of the park with the 26x4.7 Barbis.
    I would have to agree here. I think you guys should try a Barbegazi before you discount it. Yes at 1360-1370ish weight you could go lighter with a 3.25" tire, but your also loosing some cush that the 4.7" Barbi provides. It's a trade off and about which is the more important thing for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    A 5" tire for summer?

Maybe if if you ride mostly on the beach, but you're not talking about the beach... why the hell anyone would want to haul that much friction around all year round is a strange concept to me.

I'm interested in the taller 4" tire for increased rollover compared to a 26 x 4 and because it's closer in height to a 29+; better for a one bike/two wheelset option.
    Ben Ben Ben...tsk tsk...Are you new here? Have you ever looked at the daily Fat Bike pic thread? I guess you've missed the other 20 posts I've made about riding the Barbi as well.
    Welcome to the MTBR Fat Bike forum, and we hope you enjoy your first day.

Seriously - you think a 4" tire makes sense for Summer, but add .25" to each side and suddenly it's just too much? I've seen that logic before and it always baffles me. How does that logic go? Also if you follow your (odd for a fat bike guy) logic to it's conclusion then why not just ride a 2.3" tire and be done with it? Why not got down to 27.5+? I'm sure a guy riding a skinny tire 29er would ask you why you want to haul around all the weight of a 3.8" tire - and what would you tell him? Probably a similar thing to what I'd tell you. I'll go further and bet that in a blind test you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in effort/rolling resistance between your average 3.8" tire and the Barbi. Cush? Yes, the Barbi would feel better. Rolling resistance/effort? Not so much.
    Depending on which tire's you're comparing, you'll get a bit more, to A LOT more rolling resistance, but even then it's about trade offs. Tires are always about trade-offs. With the Barbi the trade off happens to be very nil in the category mentioned.

Beach? Pfff! Haven't even done it yet, but I will at some point. Friction? Have you ridden a good 4.7" tire like the Barbi? Hell I came off of a year training on an old 26" Parkpre mountain bike from the 90's - guess what? Those 26x4.7" Barbis were anything but a shock, hardly noticed a difference. I can pedal them all day, and I can take them anywhere. From pavement, to single track, to the beach, to the snow.
    There is no reason to go smaller, no matter the season. If my bike came with Lou's it would be a different story.

Now a caveat here - maybe if you have wussy, underdeveloped chicken legs and no lungs you might think pedaling around a 4.7" Barbi is too much work, but at that point any fat bike would be too much work... I happen to have normal cyclist legs and don't notice it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I would have to agree here. I think you guys should try a Barbegazi before you discount it. Yes at 1360-1370ish weight you could go lighter with a 3.25" tire, but your also loosing some cush that the 4.7" Barbi provides. It's a trade off and about which is the more important thing for you.
    Yep

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ben Ben Ben...tsk tsk...Are you new here? Have you ever looked at the daily Fat Bike pic thread? I guess you've missed the other 20 posts I've made about riding the Barbi as well.
    Welcome to the MTBR Fat Bike forum, and we hope you enjoy your first day.

Seriously - you think a 4" tire makes sense for Summer, but add .25" to each side and suddenly it's just too much? I've seen that logic before and it always baffles me. How does that logic go? Also if you follow your (odd for a fat bike guy) logic to it's conclusion then why not just ride a 2.3" tire and be done with it? Why not got down to 27.5+? I'm sure a guy riding a skinny tire 29er would ask you why you want to haul around all the weight of a 3.8" tire - and what would you tell him? Probably a similar thing to what I'd tell you. I'll go further and bet that in a blind test you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in effort/rolling resistance between your average 3.8" tire and the Barbi. Cush? Yes, the Barbi would feel better. Rolling resistance/effort? Not so much.
    Depending on which tire's you're comparing, you'll get a bit more, to A LOT more rolling resistance, but even then it's about trade offs. Tires are always about trade-offs. With the Barbi the trade off happens to be very nil in the category mentioned.

Beach? Pfff! Haven't even done it yet, but I will at some point. Friction? Have you ridden a good 4.7" tire like the Barbi? Hell I came off of a year training on an old 26" Parkpre mountain bike from the 90's - guess what? Those 26x4.7" Barbis were anything but a shock, hardly noticed a difference. I can pedal them all day, and I can take them anywhere. From pavement, to single track, to the beach, to the snow.
    There is no reason to go smaller, no matter the season. If my bike came with Lou's it would be a different story.

Now a caveat here - maybe if you have wussy, underdeveloped chicken legs and no lungs you might think pedaling around a 4.7" Barbi is too much work, but at that point any fat bike would be too much work... I happen to have normal cyclist legs and don't notice it.
    You are so silly, maybe you're a rabbit?

If rabbits rode bikes, would they ride fat bikes?

Now there is a question to keep you up at nights.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I agree with Nurse Ben, I don't think a 4.7 tire equates to a perfect summer tire at all. For my needs, the 3.8 makes a great winter tire, and something around 3.25 is my preference for summer.
    Well yeah you agree with me, you're not a rabbit

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    This silly has the tire thing figured out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    So I just tore the sidewall in my rear 27.5" hodag on my Farley 9 after 4 rides. I've patched it up but it looked pretty dodgy so I thought I should look into getting a new tyre. Apparently they are $170AUD (Maxxis mammoth is $90 for reference) and there are none in Australia and they aren't planning on bringing any in for awhile and the Maxxis/WTB/Kenda alternatives are ages away.

So my question is, can I put a 3.0" or 3.5" tyre on the 80mm Jackalopes? Or will the tyre profiles just not work?

Ta

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnj0hns View Post
    So I just tore the sidewall in my rear 27.5" hodag on my Farley 9 after 4 rides. I've patched it up but it looked pretty dodgy so I thought I should look into getting a new tyre. Apparently they are $170AUD (Maxxis mammoth is $90 for reference) and there are none in Australia and they aren't planning on bringing any in for awhile and the Maxxis/WTB/Kenda alternatives are ages away.

So my question is, can I put a 3.0" or 3.5" tyre on the 80mm Jackalopes? Or will the tyre profiles just not work?

Ta
    Maybe you can find a US, UK, or EU mailorder place that delivers to your country?

There is no such thing as a 27.5x3.5. There is a Panaracer tire that is labeled 3.5, but it's really around 2.9". The next biggest tire below the Hodag is either the Vee Trax Fatty 3.25 or the Duro Crux 3.25. They are quite a bit smaller that the Hodag and will not provide the same cushy ride. No idea if they will work on your 80mm rims, doesn't seem ideal to me.

mtbr member

Ta
    Can you give specifics on how you tore the sidewall?

Trek sells Hodags on their website.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Split the tire on a sharp rock I guess as I hurtled down a loose rocky singletrack. The air shot out instantly so I ended up banging down the trail on the rim for a few metres and put 3 big dents in it. It had started off as such a good day.

I had them at 11psi as I had already stuck a small hole in the sidewall the week before at 9.5psi. I am a heavy rider and I guess I push the bike pretty hard, so combined with the rocks everywhere maybe I'm expecting too much.

I've been looking for places to buy online but all the usual places don't stock Bontrager (e.g. Jensons, Chainreaction, Wiggles and Evans Cycles) and the Trek US store doesn't ship to Aus and the Trek AUS store doesn't sell online (and doesn't have the 27.5 Hodag shown anyway).

I patched the tyre up and ended up putting them on some 55mm rims and the profile looks a lot better IMHO. Tread goes right round and there is less sidewall exposed. I'll just put the Jackalopes in the corner until something else comes onto the market.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-12987181_10154030737378211_3594031619306068234_n.jpg  

I patched the tyre up and ended up putting them on some 55mm rims and the profile looks a lot better IMHO. Tread goes right round and there is less sidewall exposed. I'll just put the Jackalopes in the corner until something else comes onto the market.
    Curious what 55 mm rim you used. I want to get some 27.5 wheels built for my Ritchey Commando and looking for something in that size.

mike8

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    These were 27.5 x 55mm Dice Parts Co rims from an Australian Company - Dice Parts Co.
    Just an alloy rim similar to the Stans Hugo I think. I'd probably get light-bicycle or nextie rims next.
    Tyre width is now 90mm wide according to calipers and dia is around 760mm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-dsc_0171.jpg  

27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-dsc_0173.jpg  

Last edited by j0hnj0hns; 04-13-2016 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Adding dimensions

How much does it weigh?
    Wonder if these new 27.5" tires will fit in my 2011 Fatback Aluminum frame...?

I can't justify buying a new Fatbike, I like mine too much, but new wheel build on my existing hubs would be great.

I always hated riding trails on my Fatback because the BB is too low, I get constant pedal strikes. Should have got 170mm cranks instead of 175 I guess.

These were 27.5 x 55mm Dice Parts Co rims from an Australian Company - Dice Parts Co.
    Just an alloy rim similar to the Stans Hugo I think. I'd probably get light-bicycle or nextie rims next.
    Tyre width is now 90mm wide according to calipers and dia is around 764mm.
    Thanks for the info. The width sounds consistent with other reports on rims of that size but many have reported a diameter closer to 755.

I did check their website. Free shipping to the US on wheelsets.

mike

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by senor_mikey View Post
    Thanks for the info. The width sounds consistent with other reports on rims of that size but many have reported a diameter closer to 755.

I did check their website. Free shipping to the US on wheelsets.

mike
    Yeah, measured it real rough last night so not surprised if its out. Ill try again tonight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Ta
    You can try with "alltricks" from France:
    BONTRAGER Tire HODAG FAT BIKE 27.5 Flexible TLR - ALLTRICKS
    They ship a lot of countries and is a good price for this tyre!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pplucena View Post
    You can try with "alltricks" from France:
    BONTRAGER Tire HODAG FAT BIKE 27.5 Flexible TLR - ALLTRICKS
    They ship a lot of countries and is a good price for this tyre!
    Thanks for that. I haven't seen that store before but that price is the same as what I can get from the LBS. Maybe that's just the Bontrager pricepoint then.

mtbr member
    triton cycles in uk will have them back in stock end of april apparently and they will be cheaper than the place in france. in saying that, you will have to pay postage i guess? i got mine from there at £69 and intend to get another for spares until the maxxis 27.5x3.8 comes out....

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It's interesting how such small differences get hyped into something so huge. This has been said but I'll say it again.....the difference between the 26" and 27.5" fat bike tire format diameters is minuscule and a 2% increase in diameter is not going to really make a significant difference, mathematically.

Maybe in people's minds it "feels" better. Sweet. If it can enhance one's cycling experience, whether perceived or actual, and one doesn't mind paying the "way much higher than 2%" new trend tax, then it's a win for that person.

One thing I am certain of is, it's mathematically and physically impossible for 27.5" fat tires to render 26" fat tires obsolete, performance wise for the average recreational rider. 2% is pretty close to zero. The only thing that could possibly make 26 fat obsolete is changing marketing trends to push new product, and people being receptive to such.

Meanwhile, I'm perfectly happy with my vintage 26 x 4 fat tires, with 2% less rolling-over-stuff-ability. I'm pretty sure I'll be rolling over all the same obstacles as those with 27fat just the same with as big a grin on my face.

mtbr member
    got to say that i totally disagree. yeah, the outer diameter is roughly similar (lets face it, what is the total percentage relative decrease and increase across the board?)

in this instance though, the point is getting a relatively high volume tyre, not a huge volume tyre, at that specific diameter.

the volume of a tyre and the pressure hugely influences its behaviour and feel. i really like having a little LESS volume at the same diameter for some riding. where you need real floatation and you are not going to be hitting square edges at speed, or cornering hard, big volume matters a lot, as well as diameter.

going the other way from your premise: with the hodag at ~745-750 mm diameter, a maxxis minion 2.5 is real similar. but its behaviour is entirely different - due to the volume mostly. this is a bigger change than from bud to hodag i grant you, but its the principal that matters.

for trail riding there is (i believe) a sweet spot of how the pressure changes in the tyre under impact. huge volume at very low pressure has a much more linear response under compression of the tyre compared to a smaller volume where the pressure temporarily rises and resists the compression. its a small effect but change the pressure in a fatty by 1 or 2 psi and you know all about it.

then, there is how the height of the side wall affects things etc.

well, thats the way i see it at least...

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    got to say that i totally disagree. yeah, the outer diameter is roughly similar (lets face it, what is the total percentage relative decrease and increase across the board?)

in this instance though, the point is getting a relatively high volume tyre, not a huge volume tyre, at that specific diameter.

the volume of a tyre and the pressure hugely influences its behaviour and feel. i really like having a little LESS volume at the same diameter for some riding. where you need real floatation and you are not going to be hitting square edges at speed, or cornering hard, big volume matters a lot, as well as diameter.

going the other way from your premise: with the hodag at ~745-750 mm diameter, a maxxis minion 2.5 is real similar. but its behaviour is entirely different - due to the volume mostly. this is a bigger change than from bud to hodag i grant you, but its the principal that matters.

for trail riding there is (i believe) a sweet spot of how the pressure changes in the tyre under impact. huge volume at very low pressure has a much more linear response under compression of the tyre compared to a smaller volume where the pressure temporarily rises and resists the compression. its a small effect but change the pressure in a fatty by 1 or 2 psi and you know all about it.

then, there is how the height of the side wall affects things etc.

well, thats the way i see it at least...
    I agree.....which is why I no longer run 26x 100mm or even 80mm fat bike rims. I just laced up a set of 60mm rims and I love them so much more. I wouldn't want to have any less volume than a 4" tire on a 26x60mm rim and the diameter is more than sufficient.

I personally see the lower sidewall height of 27.5 x 3.8 as a negative. I prefer more tire and less rim. I've also noticed that the angle of the sidewall relative to the rim changes the feel of the tire, for the better with 60mm rims. 80-100mm rims spread the sidewalls out and make them more vertical, a 60-65mm rim brings them in and makes them more horizontal and therefore more supple. The lower profile a tire, the more vertical the sidewall will be.

I have a theory that the more vertical sidewalls caused by wider 80-100mm rims cause more deformation and faster wear of the sidewalls than narrower rims, but it's just a theory.

I would think overall, the volume of 26x3.8 and 27.5x3.8 tires on the same width rims would be pretty close to the same or if anything the 26 would be less volume than the 27.5. Has anyone calculated the volume of 27.5 x3.8 hodags vs something like a Nate 26 x3.8?

With 26 fat wheels, there is enough tire and rim choice to get whatever volume one is looking for, so I still think that 27.5 fat really isn't bringing much to the table other than a cross platform for those wanting to keep the same diameter over multiple wheelsets.
    Last edited by N8R; 04-14-2016 at 05:28 PM.

Loud tyres save lives
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
    From 26" Hodag F/R to 27.5" Hodag F/R in trail rides only, I noticed less bouncing and a more responsive sprint. Handling was crisper and felt reminiscent of a 29+. Hugged baby berms better and felt more balanced in the rock gardens. Guessing it is air volume and sidewall difference is what accounts for this feel.

Setup is on a Farley 8 with Bluto fork, 11psi front and 10.5psi rear, for both 26" and 27.5"...

Sorry, no rides in the snow...
    Stupid question perhaps but what setup are you using to run those tyres on the Farley 8?

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcL7 View Post
    Stupid question perhaps but what setup are you using to run those tyres on the Farley 8?

John
    Stock Wampa in the front, Wampa hoop with the Jackalope rear hub. I wanted to test it before buying a better hub. At 10.5 psi, there's about 7mm clearance on the NDS chainstay and closest knob. No rubbing yet on my typical rides. Will do some gnar stuff later and see how it does.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Anyone have a hodag on wtb scraper and can tell me tire width? Thx

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamogal View Post
    Anyone have a hodag on wtb scraper and can tell me tire width? Thx
    I posted pictures a few pages back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    my goal is a new rim 27.5 wtb scraper, run hodags in summer and new Trek 27.5 X4.5 in winter, thoughts ?

mtbr member
    my goal is a new rim 27.5 wtb scraper, run hodags in summer and new Trek 27.5 X4.5 in winter, thoughts ?
    My thought is if the smallest tire you want to run is the 27.5x3.8 Hodag, you would want a wider rim than the Scraper. Something around 65mm to 80mm would work well for those 2 sizes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Trek 27.5x4.5? That's news to me!

bigger than you.
    My thought is if the smallest tire you want to run is the 27.5x3.8 Hodag, you would want a wider rim than the Scraper. Something around 65mm to 80mm would work well for those 2 sizes.
    I'm running the Scrapers on my Bucksaw; while I can't speak for the 4.5" tires, the Hodags are great on the 45mm rims, with a nice, rounded profile and great volume. That said, I've come to prefer 3.0 27.5 plus tires over the Hodags.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    anyone how of a 27.5 65mm rim that is not carbon ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    typo Know of ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    If you find one let us know. I'm in the same boat, I already have scrapers and hope pro 4s on order for my Wednesday frame up build. Also WTB trail boss and Hodags.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I think Hugo is the way to go, I only want one set of wheels to run all 27.5 tires
    And understand there are going to be trade offs putting a 3.0, hodag and 4.5 tire
    On the same rim. I was good with the hodag in winter in Mi., so putting a 4.5 on
    Hugo would be wider than a hodag on 80mm. I do like the weight of scrapper but
    But not that important because not racing.

mtbr member
    Ohhhhh man...well... I did it... one ride so far and it's something different and works so far... 41 mile ride yesterday on 27.5 x 2.8 Chuppies mounted on 80 mm rims on my Trek Farley..WOW. Now my shop guy made me a deal I couldn't resist and would purchase the rim for me if any damage... heck..try them for a bit and if I don't like them their warranty if top notch take them back.... I'll try to post pics of them mounted compared to the Hodags 27.5..which I love but I lost over 2 lbs switching tires already and was super surprised how they felt..fit and cornered..(didn't break traction yesterday and I was testing them hard.) BB height didn't suffer that much.. still just a tad over 12inches.. rolled over lots of log crossings yesterday and was all so far.. very nimble the bike is now..(like it wasn't before..lol.) I do have them with 15psi in rear and 13 psi in front. Rounded profile...not square like I thought.

Little backround..all mountain rider that weighs 248 w/out gear...riding 20 years..have a number of bikes..few fat..few enduro. Love the trek fat.
    Those tires have to more than a 2.8. Crazy.
    k n o ll y r o c k s

mtbr member
    It's gonna be really tall, as tall as a 29+, so fit will be a problem with many fat bikes and it's gonna raise the BB a whole lot.
    A Bud 26 x 4.8 is taller (775mm) than any 27.5 or 29+ tire on the market.
    The closest thing to 775mm is a 29 x 3.0 Knard pumped up to 30psi.

Check out the link below.
    http://www.m2group.com/bikestuff/WheelSpecs.pdf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBike&SlenderWoman View Post

I wouldn't depend on the accuracy of that table, if it's based on manufacturer specs as noted. They all seem to measure a bit differently (different methodology, different pressures, etc.)

From first-hand measurement experiences as well as many other anecdotal reports on these forums, I can tell you that, at actual riding pressures, the only 29+ tire that's in the same height range as the Bud is the Panaracer Fat B Nimble. All other 29+ tires are taller - some significantly so.

mtbr member
    ... All other 29+ tires are taller - some significantly so.
    I am lacing up a fair weather 29+ wheelset for my Blackborow and am looking for the largest 29er that I can find. So tell me what 120tpi tire is larger than a 29+ Knard...slick preferred...the less knobby, the better.

mtbr member
    I am lacing up a fair weather 29+ wheelset for my Blackborow and am looking for the largest 29er that I can find. So tell me what 120tpi tire is larger than a 29+ Knard...slick preferred...the less knobby, the better.
    Hopefully someone else will chime in here. I think the biggest is the Durro Crux, but it's not exactly slick, right? So Knard is probably still king for what you're describing. Chronicle is comparable overall, but some of the height comes from knobs, where Knard is mostly casing, so more volume.

In another thread somewhere, someone posted a link to a 29x3 true slick/road tire, but I'll be damned if I can find it at the moment. Will keep searching. Schwalbe Super Moto / Big One are a defacto standby for fast, fat, supple road tires, but this other one was even bigger. (edit: though I doubt it was 120 tpi, as I think it was marketed as a "cruiser" tire.)

mtbr member
    I am currently running Vee Speedsters (puny 2.8" tires) but word on the street is that if you take a Knard, pump it up to 30psi and run it 1000 miles on pavement, it will morph into the fastest 29+ road tire in existence. That may take me a couple months!
    Last edited by FatBike&SlenderWoman; 05-03-2016 at 12:48 PM.

The 27.5 x 4.5" Barbegazi's came into inventory this morning. If your local Trek dealer can't/won't get them for you, I have them.

mtbr member
    The 27.5 x 4.5" Barbegazi's came into inventory this morning. If your local Trek dealer can't/won't get them for you, I have them.
    Thanks for the heads-up! Got me a couple on the way.
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer (27.5+ Alfine 8 spd)

mtbr member
    My LBS has a couple on the way. I've been wanting to have a good 26"x3.8" tubeless setup for my Mukluk, and I've also wanted to try 29"x3" tires on it. I figure these can maybe replace my 26"x3.8" and give me an idea whether I would like the 29+. Since I already have a pair of 27.5 rims from trying out out 27.5+ just buying two tires seems like a pretty inexpensive way to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunalic View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up! Got me a couple on the way.
    Me too. They're available from Bontrager. I'll probably put them on and give them a shot on the sand. Otherwise, I'm pretty ok with the 3.8" tires for the summer.

J.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't depend on the accuracy of that table.
    Most were hand measured by taking the diameter at 20psi and dividing it by 3.14159.
    So far, the Knard is the tallest 29er that I have measured. I have not gotten my hands on a Vee Bulldozer yet but Vee Tires tend to be smaller than advertized.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Most were hand measured by taking the diameter at 20psi and dividing it by 3.14159.
    So far, the Knard is the tallest 29er that I have measured. I have not gotten my hands on a Vee Bulldozer yet but Vee Tires tend to be smaller than advertized.
    This tendency is not limited to Vee Tires.

As an aside, did you really mean to say you divided the measured circumference by pi?

Furthermore, I seem to be piling it on here, I think the exercise on rim width to tire width is really looking at the trees and not the forest, especially when you rank accuracy of the methods. Tire width/ rim width relationships depend on many things, like shape of tire, bead height, tire pressure, rider preference, riding surface, etc. so relying on very simple formulas as the be all end all is somewhat short sighted.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    This tendency is not limited to Vee Tires.
    Sad to say, that is true.

As an aside, did you really mean to say you divided the measured circumference by pi?
    In my Ed McMahon voice, “You are correct sir!” I could not get the Greek character to display on here plus there may be some non-math folks that are not aware of these geometric constants.

Furthermore, I seem to be piling it on here, I think the exercise on rim width to tire width is really looking at the trees and not the forest...
    Given the ambiguity of advertised tire specs, 'looking at the trees' is a good metaphor.

...Tire width/ rim width relationships depend on many things...
    The variables come in the plethora of compounds and tread profiles that are bonded to the outside of a tire casing in an effort to optimize performance for different applications.
    My PDF is focused on actual (not advertised) rim and casing dimensions. It is an attempt to provide a more apples to apples comparison for obtaining the highest reliability and performance from 120tpi tubeless casings. Experimenting with different rim widths, tire pressures and tread construction is best left up to the rider's discretion so I leave that topic for another conversation.

Unlike automotive tires where the aspect ratio is maintained by multiple plys and belts under the tread cap, the shape of bicycle tire casings are dictated by the physics of a compressed gas contained within a simple flexible medium. If you have two bike tires from different manufacturers with the same inside bead-to-bead dimension, mounted on the same rim at the same pressure, the casings will be essentially the same diameter and shape. That being a constant, there is a casing/rim width ratio that yields the highest load capacity and the lowest rolling resistance along with the ability to safely run lower pressures with potentially the largest footprint.

Engineering is the art of compromise. One must prioritize among must haves and trade offs to achieve the best performance for a particular application.
    A 4.8” tire on a 100mm rim will provided the highest load capacity and most available float. This would be desirable for a 210lb rider on a 30+ lb bike riding through 6” of fresh snow.

Mounting a 4.8” tire on a 65mm rim reduces the load capacity by 35% with a 50% increase in the air pressure required to avoid burping and/or pinch flats. These trade offs may be acceptable for a 150lb rock climber that would benefit from the lighter rotating mass along with reducing the exposure of rims and side walls to rough terrain hazards.

What I fail to understand is is the point of running a 26 x 5 tire on a 65mm rim when a 65mm 27.5 x 4 wheelset provides equivalent ground clearance in a lighter package with more available float.

Of course, who am I to talk? While waiting for my 622-60 rims to arrive, I am currently running 3.5” Speedsters on 99mm Clown Shoes while enjoying all of the oversteer that accompanies use of a rim that is too wide for the tread profile.
    Last edited by FatBike&SlenderWoman; 05-03-2016 at 12:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

i just received mine, same weight as hodag, thinking about trying them now before winter. interested to hear any feedback on these. Also would anyone want to be a beta for mounting these on a hugo ?

bigger than you.
    Curious about the measurements of the Barbegazi's on Scrapers or Hugos...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

What's your point?

It still ain't gonna fit some bikes.

mtbr member
    What's your point?

It still ain't gonna fit some bikes.
    You can interchange 26 x 5", 27.5 x 4" and 29 x 3" wheelsets on an ICT, Blackborow or Farley 5 and maintain the same ground clearance and gearing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Curious about the measurements of the Barbegazi's on Scrapers or Hugos...

I second that ! trying to find the ideal rim for all 27.5 tire sizes. Anyone want to beta the 4.5 on these smaller width rims and let me know how it goes ?

mtbr member
    As soon as I get my 27.5x4.5 Barbegazis I'll be putting them on some 50mm Nexties and can measure them. I don't know when I'll be getting them, but they are ordered.

mtbr member
    does anyone have a width of the 27.5 barbegazi on any sort of rim?

i'm thinking of getting hold of one at some point and wondering if i need a rim wider than 50~mm external as some of you guys seem to be as well...the hodag is fine, but if the barbegazi is much wider id probs try and source a 65mm rim.

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    the hodag is fine, but if the barbegazi is much wider id probs try and source a 65mm rim.
    You'd like to think you could, anyway. ;-)

Barring the carbon fibre one mentioned a few pages back, I think the next best available is still the Fatlab 55mm. Someone should try that one and report back, please. If you're in a shop that has access to one, the rim doesn't even have to be built into a wheel. Just something that allows us to see the profile and take some measurements.

mtbr member
    You'd like to think you could, anyway. ;-)

Barring the carbon fibre one mentioned a few pages back, I think the next best available is still the Fatlab 55mm...
    I have got some on order but the rep is still working out logistics so they are not in the US yet. The inner rim bead-to-bead is 51mm.

http://www.m2group.com/bikestuff/FATlab55.pdf

I have got some on order but the rep is still working out logistics so they are not in the US yet. The inner rim bead-to-bead is 51mm.

can I ask who in the US you are working with? I heard there were no US distributors at the moment.

mike

mtbr member
    can I ask who in the US you are working with?
    mike
    Adventuron

mtbr member
    I just got both tires on the Jackolopes and they measured nearly 4.3", weight is 1250g. My dropouts are still jammed forward with maybe 1/8" clearance off the middle of the seat tube. Diameter is roughly 30.5".

I think these will do until I get a nice carbon 26" wheelset.

2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I just got both tires on the Jackolopes and they measured nearly 4.3", weight is 1250g. My dropouts are still jammed forward with maybe 1/8" clearance off the middle of the seat tube. Diameter is roughly 30.5".

I think these will do until I get a nice carbon 26" wheelset.

They look good. Looking forward to hearing a ride report especially if there is sand involved.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    They look good. Looking forward to hearing a ride report especially if there is sand involved.

J.
    I will try soon. Just getting over some weird cold.
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    in the trek 2017 farley pics i saw a 27.5 X4.5 barbi on what i think was an 80mm Mulefut rim. Also the Hugo is like a couple mm les inside width than Fatlab. Hugo would be my first choice before buying nextie 65 as an option for smaller rim width than Jackolpe.

mtbr member
    So I've got one Barbegazi mounted up on a Nextie 50mm OD rim. I didn't have any success getting tubeless to work, it seemed like the rim was too narrow so the tire bead was inward and up from the edge of the rim. I'll try it again after it sits around with a tube in it for a while. It actually isn't even on well with the tube, there are a couple of spots where the bead hasn't seated.

Barbegazi 27.5 x 4.50 on Nextie 50mm rim with 20 psi.
    94.5mm casing width.
    101mm knob width. The knobs stick out really far with the narrow rims.
    250mm B2B
    765mm tall. This is just measured placed against a wall with no weight. For comparison I measured a couple of other tires the same way.
    Well worn Knard 26 x 3.8 on Marge Lite was 724mm tall.
    Vee Trax Fatty 27.5 x 3.25 on Nextie 50mm was 739mm tall.

Took a quick look at the rear of the Mukluk and it looks like the width is okay and I need to move the axle rearward for clearance around the chainstay yoke.

27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-fat3tires.jpg

mtbr member
    Ohhhhh man...well... I did it... 27.5 x 2.8 Chuppies mounted on 80 mm rims on my Trek Farley..WOW....
    Betcha that bike rolls fast and corners like a slot car...still waiting for photos!

mtbr member
    Just installed the Barbegazi's on my 9.8 should get them out tonight and a good long test ride tomorrow.

PSA: Manitou Magnum plus fork fits the 27.5 x 4" Bontrager Hodag tire.

I have one mounted on a 27.5 x 50mm carbon rim, tubeless at ~12psi. Higher than I plan to run, but wanted it to stretch/seat.

Tight on the sidewalls, good clearance on edge knobs, enormous clearance to the arch.

Looks badass.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I can't remember where I heard it, but isn't the 27.5x4.5 supposedly lighter than the 3.8"?

J.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005

can I ask who in the US you are working with? I heard there were no US distributors at the moment.

mike
    They should be here soon. Once the stateside inventory gets built things will be much easier to get.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    I can't remember where I heard it, but isn't the 27.5x4.5 supposedly lighter than the 3.8"?

J.
    I didn't know it for sure but noticed that my bike weight didn't change much after changing tires. I just weighed one Hodag at 1300g and one of my Barbs was 1250g.
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    I didn't know it for sure but noticed that my bike weight didn't change much after changing tires. I just weighed one Hodag at 1300g and one of my Barbs was 1250g.
    Those barbs look quite appealing!

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EBG 18T View Post
    Those barbs look quite appealing!
    Yeah, so far so good.
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Since there are quite a few Trek enthusiasts on this thread, could someone tell me where would I find a 10-speed driver to replace the XD driver on a Jackalope hub?

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Since there are quite a few Trek enthusiasts on this thread, could someone tell me where would I find a 10-speed driver to replace the XD driver on a Jackalope hub?
    you may call a few local dealers. Some of the early shipments came with the 10sp free hub installed and the shops swapped out for the XD freehand. They may still have them kicking around.

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    So are there any 27.5 fat tire alternatives out yet? Maxxis was showing off their new minions but does anyone have any word on when they'll hit the market? Wasn't WTB and Kenda making one too?

mtbr member
    I got the 27.5 x 4.5 Barbegazis installed on my 2014 Mukluk Ti. I had to slide the rear axle all of the way back to get clearance for the seatstay bridge. The closest clearance is about 5mm when the chain is on the biggest rear cog of my 1x11. I plan on getting them dirty on the way home from work. I blew them up to 25 psi because it was hard to get the beads to seat. It felt like a lot of air riding them to work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    I got the 27.5 x 4.5 Barbegazis installed on my 2014 Mukluk Ti. I had to slide the rear axle all of the way back to get clearance for the seatstay bridge. The closest clearance is about 5mm when the chain is on the biggest rear cog of my 1x11. I plan on getting them dirty on the way home from work. I blew them up to 25 psi because it was hard to get the beads to seat. It felt like a lot of air riding them to work.
    You may have needed that much to set them but if the held at that over night I would lower to a better pressure. I think I am running 9 front and 10 rear and I am a heavy rider.

T

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tadraper View Post
    You may have needed that much to set them but if the held at that over night I would lower to a better pressure. I think I am running 9 front and 10 rear and I am a heavy rider.

T
    Oh, I hear you. I sometimes ride to the beach on about 8 miles of pavement and then let the air out for the sand. Even then I don't run anywhere near 25psi. But since I already had 25psi in them I was interested in what it would be like. I'll probably go with 10psi for the pavement-dirt ride home.

mtbr member
    25 psi on pavement must have rolled very fast!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    For trail riding, what pressures are you all using on Wampas with Hodags? I'm at 11 psi and scared to burp. Can I safely go lower?

mtbr member
    I ran them at 7 not issues and I am 210.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

I have one mounted on a 27.5 x 50mm carbon rim, tubeless at ~12psi. Higher than I plan to run, but wanted it to stretch/seat.

Tight on the sidewalls, good clearance on edge knobs, enormous clearance to the arch.

Looks badass.
    That's cool... I just put 27.5x50mm wheels on my Farley 5. Was hoping to keep this set as my only wheelset going forward. Don't know much about the Hodags tho.

Sounds tho like the Barbegazis might be too wide, according to another post.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    If that's the case then why not just get a plus bike and be done with it - why bother with the fat bike in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by hoboscratch View Post
    That's cool... I just put 27.5x50mm wheels on my Farley 5. Was hoping to keep this set as my only wheelset going forward. Don't know much about the Hodags tho.

Sounds tho like the Barbegazis might be too wide, according to another post.

No way the Barbe will fit the Magnum. Full FUPA.

Even the Hodag is *tight* once stretched. Class B fit. Fun as hell, just no mud clearance.

mtbr member
    I finally got to do a little bit of comparing of the 4.8" Jumbo Jims with the Barbs. As far as I can tell I like the Barbs just as well as the JJs. Too bad I can't try the JJs on the Farley.

2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If that's the case then why not just get a plus bike and be done with it - why bother with the fat bike in the first place?
    For me, I want to be able to be plus and fat. *If* the 27.5x50mm rim will work with 27.5+ and a 27.5x4 (or beyond) tire, i'm down with that. I love the way the bike handles with the 27.5+ on my local singletrack. Plus I live in MN and have a long winter cycle, so I definitely want to stay fat. If the rims are too narrow, I still have my 26x80mm rims on standby...

mtbr member
    Dittos to that! Putting 50mm rims (which in most cases are really 45mm) on a fat bike frame makes for a glorified plus bike.

Lord Thunderbottom
    Dittos to that! Putting 50mm rims (which in most cases are really 45mm) on a fat bike frame makes for a glorified plus bike.
    My 2 cents on why I run this combo, I have plus wheelsets, B+ and 29+, being a clydesdale at 250#+ in order to run non bouncy tire pressure and not get rim dings this was a happy medium for me, the difference in volume between + and the hodag on a 50mm rim is still more than double and allows me to run low pressure and not break things

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Maybe but I have one of each type of these wheels on a couple of my bikes and the ride on each is not the same. I don't know if I could even begin to say which is "better" but I do know that I've been spending more time on the + bike. Several factors unrelated to tire size play a part in this but still.
    Latitude 61

beer thief
    I love my "glorified plus bike", and also really like being able to run studded 26 x 4" tires in winter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    I love my "glorified plus bike", and also really like being able to run studded 26 x 4" tires in winter.
    I laced up some Fatlab 55's and turned my Blackborow into a glorified 29+ bike while Bud, Lou and the Clown Shoes take the summer off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Yup couldn't agree more

I laced up some Fatlab 55's and turned my Blackborow into a glorified 29+ bike while Bud, Lou and the Clown Shoes take the summer off.

so how are those Fatlab rims? Did they build up straight and how were they to set up tubeless? Considering a set to do a 27.5 superPlus (Hodags) build on my Ritchey Commando.

mike

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Ohhhhh man...well... I did it... one ride so far and it's something different and works so far... 41 mile ride yesterday on 27.5 x 2.8 Chuppies mounted on 80 mm rims on my Trek Farley..WOW. Now my shop guy made me a deal I couldn't resist and would purchase the rim for me if any damage... heck..try them for a bit and if I don't like them their warranty if top notch take them back.... I'll try to post pics of them mounted compared to the Hodags 27.5..which I love but I lost over 2 lbs switching tires already and was super surprised how they felt..fit and cornered..(didn't break traction yesterday and I was testing them hard.) BB height didn't suffer that much.. still just a tad over 12inches.. rolled over lots of log crossings yesterday and was all so far.. very nimble the bike is now..(like it wasn't before..lol.) I do have them with 15psi in rear and 13 psi in front. Rounded profile...not square like I thought.

Little backround..all mountain rider that weighs 248 w/out gear...riding 20 years..have a number of bikes..few fat..few enduro. Love the trek fat.
    Did you ever share a pic of this? I've destroyed the Hodags on rocks and need an alternative and all I can get are 3" tires. I'll be interested to see if 3.0" tires work OK on 80mm rims.

WNC Native
    Anyone seen these 65mm Mulefut rims before? - Mulefüt 65SL | SUNringlé

Just noticed the OEM Only in the description.

bigger than you.
    Did you ever share a pic of this? I've destroyed the Hodags on rocks and need an alternative and all I can get are 3" tires. I'll be interested to see if 3.0" tires work OK on 80mm rims.
    the Maxxis Minion DHR & DHF 27.5x3.8 are due any day now...

bigger than you.
    think i like my Bucksaw better as a 27.5+ than fat. There, I said it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hoboscratch View Post
    For me, I want to be able to be plus and fat. *If* the 27.5x50mm rim will work with 27.5+ and a 27.5x4 (or beyond) tire, i'm down with that. I love the way the bike handles with the 27.5+ on my local singletrack. Plus I live in MN and have a long winter cycle, so I definitely want to stay fat. If the rims are too narrow, I still have my 26x80mm rims on standby...
    I get plus and fat - I have a second wheel set, 29+ as of yet unbuilt, myself (although I have yet to find a good reason to build up the plus set other than the fact that I spent the money) I just don't get buying a fat bike and leaving the 'plus' wheels on 100% of the time - seems silly.

Riding plus most of the time, and going to fat on occasion when conditions demand it - down with that too although I wouldn't do it. The Farley 7 and the Barbis - I have to say I'm not finding myself wishing I had less tire. It's fast, light, nimble, rolls great, plenty of cush.
    I've toyed with selling the plus setup, but I hate the idea of getting rid of those DT Swiss hubs. Even if decide not to build up the 29+ I'll probably want those at some point as either a replacement or maybe a set of 27.5x65mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It's all good man; but not silly. The Farley drew me in due to its versatility. 100% love the idea of one bike to rule them all.

And for the record, I want to love the Barbis sooo badly. I totally agree with your statements about being fast, light, etc. but in the winter they unfortunately fail me where my Bud/Nates succeed. And now that I've tried plus, I am sold. Thankfully, the Farley is the best fat bike out there IMO and maybe the future holds 27.5x80 Barbis for me in the summer. Just damn glad I have this bike to try it all out on!

So yeah, 27.5x4 and beyond, I'm excited

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I get the "one bike to rule" them all thing completely - can't beat a fat bike, let alone a fat bike with 2 wheel sets.

mtbr member
    ...can't beat a fat bike, let alone a fat bike with 2 wheel sets.
    ...or three!

mtbr member
    27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-27229417003_cfdc1f35ba_z.jpg

Thanks to mikesee for helping me get hold of this monster.

surprised at how big it seems compared to a flowbeist on a hed. the rim is a nextie 65mm. diameter at 20psi is more or less 770mm and the width of the casing is 115mm, with a few extra mm of knob.

this will be used on my fatty with a hodag/junglefox rear wheel.

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

WNC Native
    Awesome! Can you take a pic of the tire profile on that rim?

mtbr member
    will do... :-)~

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

mtbr member
    27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-27782107792_7c985048aa_c.jpg

seems tricky to get a good shot! this is the best one i got, this is at 20psi.

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

WNC Native
    That's good enough for me, Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

I'd love to see pics of the 2.8 on an 80mm rim... I might try Trailboss 3.0...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    32 pages - that was kind of painful.

It's a fair while since these wheels were announced and have been shipping. I'm still not seeing many tire choices for the 27.5 rims. We have a Farley 8 (Hodag 26x3.8) and are considering a second fat bike such as Farley 9.6. I get a Barbegazi should be better than what we have in deep snow. Can anyone say if a Fat B Nimble would be much better in summer than the stock 3.8 Hodags? Any fast 27.5 fat tires I missed?

After all this reading I'm thinking I probably want two sets of wheels and 29+ to be fully happy with summer riding. I'm sure I'd be happy with 27.5 x 3.8 or 4.5 in winter. It's what to do about 2.1 mi of road to trail head and long fast trail rides.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post

It's a fair while since these wheels were announced and have been shipping. I'm still not seeing many tire choices for the 27.5 rims. We have a Farley 8 (Hodag 26x3.8) and are considering a second fat bike such as Farley 9.6. I get a Barbegazi should be better than what we have in deep snow. Can anyone say if a Fat B Nimble would be much better in summer than the stock 3.8 Hodags? Any fast 27.5 fat tires I missed?

After all this reading I'm thinking I probably want two sets of wheels and 29+ to be fully happy with summer riding. I'm sure I'd be happy with 27.5 x 3.8 or 4.5 in winter. It's what to do about 2.1 mi of road to trail head and long fast trail rides.

in all honesty, the fat b nimble is a plus tire, not fat. The Maxxis minions 27.5x4 are supposedly imminent, but not yet available. I'd expect more n this segment from interbike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    in all honesty, the fat b nimble is a plus tire, not fat. The Maxxis minions 27.5x4 are supposedly imminent, but not yet available. I'd expect more n this segment from interbike.
    Thank you.

Please don't shoot while I'm in learning mode. Is the Fat B Nimble suitable for the 27.5 Jackalope wheels on a Farley? That might be enough to have me happy with one set or the OEM wheels to start. It would seem that size would not drop the bottom bracket as much as plus wheels with 2.8 or 3 inch tires.

I'm really sure the OEM wheels will be fine for winter considering I know 26 x 3.8 Hodags on our Farley 8, and know the Barbegazi is a larger option.

If it's not obvious I'm looking at whether or not a Farley with these wheels would keep me happy for all seasons.

Thanks again.

bigger than you.
    I suspect that the panaracers would not be ideal for 80mm rims, the profile would be too flat and reportedly, they're more than a little prone to tearing. They're better on narrower plus wheels, they'd drop the bb even more on the jackalopes. Ultimately, I think you can be happy with those wheels for all seasons, you just need to be patient, more tires are on the way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

I can ride the 4.7 Barbegazi's on pavement all day if I was so inclined, certainly a few miles to a trail head is no worries for me even at 5 psi, let alone higher.
    Great tires those Barbis.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thank you.

Please don't shoot while I'm in learning mode. Is the Fat B Nimble suitable for the 27.5 Jackalope wheels on a Farley? That might be enough to have me happy with one set or the OEM wheels to start. It would seem that size would not drop the bottom bracket as much as plus wheels with 2.8 or 3 inch tires.

I'm really sure the OEM wheels will be fine for winter considering I know 26 x 3.8 Hodags on our Farley 8, and know the Barbegazi is a larger option.

If it's not obvious I'm looking at whether or not a Farley with these wheels would keep me happy for all seasons.

Thanks again.
    When you wear out the Hodags on your current bike, I'd recommend going with a set of 45NRTH Vanhelgas. They are by far the best 4 season tire, I've tried. Roll pretty fast in summer, but grip snow like no 4" tire should.
    ‘19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When you wear out the Hodags on your current bike, I'd recommend going with a set of 45NRTH Vanhelgas. They are by far the best 4 season tire, I've tried. Roll pretty fast in summer, but grip snow like no 4" tire should.
    Thank you. I've had that suggestion before.

My continued worry is hearing or reading some of the other 27.5 tires I've found are really for plus rims - not the rims you'll get with a Farley 9, 9.6 or 9.8 etc.... As it stands I am not finding tires where I'd be happy riding from home to trail head in summer - a 2.1 up uphill ride.

My apologies if I've missed tire options for the stock 9 or 9.6 rims.

mtbr member
    Thank you.

...It would seem that size would not drop the bottom bracket as much as plus wheels with 2.8 or 3 inch tires...
    The numbers are deceiving. A '27.5' rim is only a half inch taller than a so called '26' rim so a 4.8" tire on a '26' rim is taller than a 4.0" on a 27.5.
    Likewise a 29 (622) rim is 1.25" taller than a 26 and .75" taller than a 27.5 making a 3.0 x 29 wheel taller than anything currently available in a 27.5.

Bottom line, the 4.5% difference between a 26 and a 27.5 is less significant than the 6.5% difference between a 27.5 and a 29

On another note the Fat B Nimble may be a good snow tire but it is one of the slowest tires on hard pack.
    Fat Bike Tires Rolling Resistance Reviews

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The numbers are deceiving. A '27.5' rim is only a half inch taller than a so called '26' rim so a 4.8" tire on a '26' rim is taller than a 4.0" on a 27.5.
    Likewise a 29 (622) rim is 1.25" taller than a 26 and .75" taller than a 27.5 making a 3.0 x 29 wheel taller than anything currently available in a 27.5.

Bottom line, the 4.5% difference between a 26 and a 27.5 is less significant than the 6.5% difference between a 27.5 and a 29

On another note the Fat B Nimble may be a good snow tire but it is one of the slowest tires on hard pack.
    Thank you for the input and the .pdf you've linked.

I have no doubts I'd like the Trek with this wheel size in winter. It's searching out affordable or simple summer options. Already owning 26 x 3.8 Hodags on a Farley 8 I can't imagine liking 27.5 x 3.8 Hodags much more for the ride to trail head. All the interest here is how a composite Farley might be a do it all bike for me when my same height wife is riding our Remedy 29.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The numbers are deceiving.

There are a whole bunch of tires not on that list that are likely much slower than the FBN.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    So I've got one Barbegazi mounted up on a Nextie 50mm OD rim. I didn't have any success getting tubeless to work, it seemed like the rim was too narrow so the tire bead was inward and up from the edge of the rim. I'll try it again after it sits around with a tube in it for a while. It actually isn't even on well with the tube, there are a couple of spots where the bead hasn't seated.

Barbegazi 27.5 x 4.50 on Nextie 50mm rim with 20 psi.
    94.5mm casing width.
    101mm knob width. The knobs stick out really far with the narrow rims.
    250mm B2B
    765mm tall. This is just measured placed against a wall with no weight. For comparison I measured a couple of other tires the same way.
    Well worn Knard 26 x 3.8 on Marge Lite was 724mm tall.
    Vee Trax Fatty 27.5 x 3.25 on Nextie 50mm was 739mm tall.

Took a quick look at the rear of the Mukluk and it looks like the width is okay and I need to move the axle rearward for clearance around the chainstay yoke.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fat3Tires.jpg 
Views:	1283 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	1069185
    Quote Originally Posted by tadraper View Post
    Just installed the Barbegazi's on my 9.8 should get them out tonight and a good long test ride tomorrow.

Two more helpful posts I forgot or missed earlier. Thanks!

My wife said go on the project but get ride of two bikes to do this. We're looking at remaining 2016 Farley 9.6 and the 2017s soon to come.

The 2017 will come with Barbegazi 27.5 x 4.5 but 27.5 Mulefut wheels vs the Jackalopes. Also what might be better SRAM brakes. I get the advantage of big Barbegazi in winter. My associates are giving really strong opinions on what size wheels for plus summer tires.

My wife's opinions are most entertaining - that's she's into it, likes the 2016 9.6 color more, and she's way more "shut up and ride" than think about gear. I tell her it's not entirely true because she always chooses the better of the bikes we share when we ride together.

For now I'm making spreadsheets and lists of wheel and tire info and am thinking the 2017 bikes with Mulefut could mean more tires will be made in that 27.5 fat size.

I'm also wondering if a non-Bluto fork with plus wheels might be a best option for summer. All great fun thoughts to distract from other challenges.

Thanks again for all the bits of info that help one figure out their custom ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    At this point I'll say pleased if not excited. My wife and I got a 2016 Farley 9.6. Now we've done several rides with it and the Farley 8 having same Hodag 3.8 tires but the different wheel sizes.

The larger rim and lower profile tires don't have so much basketball bounce and they move along really well in crappy summer season trail conditions. For a while I wished we got a 2017 bike for the Barbegazi tires but the 3.8 Hodags have cut my desire to want plus wheels right away. There's no snow to compare at this point but the 27.5 Jackalope+Hodag are better trail riding tires.

Better yet, now Maxxis has 27.5 fats and Rocky Mountain has a bike with this diameter and what appears to be 65 mm Mulefuts. I think 2017 Farleys have 27.5 x 80 but at last check only dealers had the official bike specs.

Pressing a friend who is in Bontrager product management only gets me another 27.5 fat is coming. I'm looking forward to that and the narrower fat rims being available. At the moment I think I'd prefer the latter over plus rims.

Rocky Mountain Launches Two 27.5? Fat Bike Models at Eurobike 2016 | Singletracks Mountain Bike News

27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-dsc06001-1200x1024.jpg

WNC Native
    Better yet, now Maxxis has 27.5 fats and Rocky Mountain has a bike with this diameter and what appears to be 65 mm Mulefuts.
    It is indeed 27.5x65mm Sun Ringle Mulefut rims - Mulefüt 65SL | SUNringlé

These are only an OEM product right now and are not available to be purchased separately (for now anyway), Per an email reply I received from Sun Ringle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It is indeed 27.5x65mm Sun Ringle Mulefut rims - Mulefüt 65SL | SUNringlé

These are only an OEM product right now and are not available to be purchased separately (for now anyway), Per an email reply I received from Sun Ringle.
    I did not see the 27.5 x 80 mm Mulefut on Sun's site even though Trek has it on bikes. Right now Trek only lists 26 in Jackalopes for sale.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I have a set of DT Swiss hubs and ICT rotors just sitting here waiting to be turned into a new wheel set for my Farley 7. I have 29+ tires and hoops, but I love the Barbegazi's so much that I have no desire to go plus on this bike for any conditions, summer or otherwise. This discovery is why the wheel set remains as of yet unbuilt.

I was staying away from 27.5+ fat because with the Hodag it didn't make any sense to me for reasons I've stated a few times on here. However since I have the hubs and rotors I need to build up something. So now I'm unsure what to do.

Loving the 26 Barbis all year as I said, but having hubs I'm thinking of the 27.5 Barbis for summer next season for grins. Question is, which wheels?

I don't want to go wider than necessary, or narrower than is wise.
    Anyone running the 27.5 Barbis on Scrapers? I'm wondering if that's too narrow and if I should hold off for some 60-65mm hoops to become available.
    Really to me, 65mm Mulefuts would make the most sense.

The other option is just building up another nice set of fat rims and get a more aggressive winter tire for when the Barbi is overwhelmed by muck, but that seems like a waste given my situation. I don't ride much in snotty conditions.

mtbr member
    my 27.5 barbi is on a 58mm internal 65mm external nextie. i wouldnt want it on anything narrower than that i think....its a big tyre.

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    OK - thanks. That's what I figured.
    Now I have to sell my 29+ and Chuppies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    What are the thoughts out there regarding hodag v's 27.5 barbi ? I have mine on jackalopes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What are the thoughts out there regarding hodag v's 27.5 barbi ? I have mine on jackalopes.
    I've only tried 27.5 Bargegazi in summer time test rides. I've done back to back or swap bikes with 26 version of that and Hodag on groomed and soft snow. In that scenario the Barbegazi tires were better in soft snow.

I can't imagine wanting anything bigger than Hodags in summer but I only weight 150 and don't do epic trips on sand. On a recent ride with some mud and wet rocks riders with 26 Nate, Barbagazi, Mammoth and Kanard were complaining more than I was with Hodags. Our 26 Hodags are not too different but have more basketball bounce you can tune out of the 27.5s.

If nothing else comes out in 27.5 size soon I'm sure I'll want Barbegazi on our Farley 9.6 in winter because the Farley 8 can't take really big tires in back. In the meanwhile I've stopped wanting plus tires and wheels on that bike because the Farley 9.6 with Hodags has been like a get farther and go steeper weapon compared to friends around me.

mtbr member
    well, my slightly nebulous reply might be the barbi 27.5 should be seen as a full-fat tyre and the hodag, somewhere between a fat and a plus tyre in terms of ideal range of use?

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Looks badass.
    Will it fit on 27+/29 Pike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here is what I have.
    Specialized 6 fattie with 27.5 by 29 mm rims with a 3" tire.
    Looking at getting the 40 or 45 mm wide rims and a 3.8" or 4" tire.
    Does anyone know if this setup will fit in this frame?
    Front fork is a Fox 34 boost 110, rear is a boost 148
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I heard some rumors that the 27.5 x 4.5in tires are not clearing the spacing on Blutos. Trek apparently acknowledged this. Can anyone confirm? If they do actually clear, what rim width are you using? Can you post a pic? thanks!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast