Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
Results 1,301 to 1,329 of 1329
    WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    i can get a measurement in a few hours. what is the best way to do this?

i have VH, hodag, fbf, and fbr here all mounted on 50's.
    I always put a carpenterís framing level across the center of the tire and measure floor to the bottom of the level. You also can use a ruler or such against a wall and eyeball it level, then measure with tape or yard stick.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    okie, done. i did my best to level and square the wheels to the floor. all of them measured in the same spot. all tires mounted on 27.5x50mm rims. various inflation pressures from 10 to 13 psi.

VanHelga was 30 3/8"

every other 27.5x3.8 i have (FBF, FBR, Hodag, Cakeeater & Gnarwhal) measured 29 1/2" , give or take.

so, 27.5 vanhelga is *almost* and inch taller...

i measured the FBR on the rear of my fatillac, and on the top arch (the smallest clearance area measured) i have exactly 1/2" of clearance. SO the VH will probably hit....

*sorry, no pics. i did not have 3 hands, otherwise i would have taken pics... *

WNC Native
    Yep, the VanHelga isn't fitting in this fork!!
    I had a feeling it might be bigger, that's the only reason I hadn't ordered one. Now I need to decide how badly I want a VanHelga for the front.

My Hodag measures exactly 29.5 as well.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    The VH fits in the Fox 34 on 65mm external rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Maybe the Van Helga might actually be a 4.0" tire on 80mm rims?

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
    The VH fits in the Fox 34 on 65mm external rims.
    i would think it would be too tall for a Fox 34... must be no mud clearance, correct? you are definitely referring to the 27.5x3.8 VH? you have a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    Maybe the Van Helga might actually be a 4.0" tire on 80mm rims?
    doubt it, width is the same as every other 27.5x3.8~4 tire. 3.6xx" on a 50mm rim.

mtbr member
    i would think it would be too tall for a Fox 34... must be no mud clearance, correct? you are definitely referring to the 27.5x3.8 VH? you have a pic?

doubt it, width is the same as every other 27.5x3.8~4 tire. 3.6xx" on a 50mm rim.
    Yes Iím referring to the 27.5 x 4.0 VH on the Fox 34. Mounted to a 65mm Nextie rim thereís more than 1/4Ē to the arch. Would be tighter with a 50mm rim. Rode today in plenty of mud without issue.
    On the 65mm rim, I get 3.65Ē wide at 9psi.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    ok, cool!

the nexties have slightly less ID than the mulefut 65's. i was able to squeak 3.7x" out of the 27.5x3.8's vs my nexties.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Need some advice for a well rolling studded tire for Farley with 27.5" Jackalope rims.

Last winter I had a studded Gnarwhal in rear but found it very slow rolling as compared to Hodag. There is a place for Gnarwhal but it is absolutely not for me. Since Farley is my one and only bike, I use it also to ride to work every day, throughout the year. Partially trails, partially pavement covered with ice. And now that our company moved, my everyday trip to work is longer than before. So Gnarwhal is very much out of the question.

Hodag is the best tyre I have experienced so far, very low rolling resistance. Seasons outside winter snow conditions, those are my 1st choice. I am extremely happy with them. I also have Minion FBFs and have a self made studded version of it in front and plan to continue with that but only in front.

So I have basically two studded options for winter (as a rear tire): Terrene Cake Eater 27.5x4 or Dillinger 4 (also 27.5"). Both are available here in Finland. Comparing these two, which one has lower rolling resistance? Both are very expensive so would like to hear your opinion before buying one.

I am not riding deep snow but find myself very often also in trails with varying snow conditions. But, the rolling resistance is now the most important. If I could get close to rolling resistance of Hodag, that would be great .

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zebster View Post
    Need some advice for a well rolling studded tire for Farley with 27.5" Jackalope rims.

So I have basically two studded options for winter (as a rear tire): Terrene Cake Eater 27.5x4 or Dillinger 4 (also 27.5"). Both are available here in Finland. Comparing these two, which one has lower rolling resistance? Both are very expensive so would like to hear your opinion before buying one.
    given those two options, I would recommend the Dillinger 4. The Dillinger is the best all round tire, you cannot go wrong with them.

I cannot recommend the Cake Eater, specifically the 27.5x4, as the tire is just a piece of garbage. I had three of them, and all the same issues (poor bead retention and growing under pressure). Maybe i got early production runs, but i could not recommend the Cake Eater especially compared to a proven winter performer like the Dillinger.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    given those two options, I would recommend the Dillinger 4. The Dillinger is the best all round tire, you cannot go wrong with them.

I cannot recommend the Cake Eater, specifically the 27.5x4, as the tire is just a piece of garbage. I had three of them, and all the same issues (poor bead retention and growing under pressure). Maybe i got early production runs, but i could not recommend the Cake Eater especially compared to a proven winter performer like the Dillinger.

Good luck!
    Thank you very much Rodney for your sharing your experience

Will get the Dillinger 4, I dont want to get into same trouble as you with the Cake Eater. Safe and good, that is what I value.

mtbr member
    Just to provide another data point - I ran a Caker Eater studded on the rear of my bike last year and had no trouble with bead retention or burping even at sidewall wrinkling pressures (Jackalope 80mm rim).

After the snow left I picked up a Gnarwhal 3.8 for this coming winter but only because I wanted more drive traction.

I de-studded the Cake Eater and moved it to a 50mm rim with pressures from 7-10psi for spring riding and after spending most of the summer on 29x3 wheels, the Cake Eaters and 50mm rims are back on the bike now.

I haven't run the Dillingers so can't compare them, but I wouldn't hesitate to run the Cake Eaters in winter again if I wanted less rolling resistance than the Gnarwal.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    Just to provide another data point...

...I wouldn't hesitate to run the Cake Eaters in winter again if I wanted less rolling resistance than the Gnarwal.

Agreed completely. I love the Gnar's but sometimes you need a faster rolling tire. CE's are great tires.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by david.p View Post
    Just to provide another data point - I ran a Caker Eater studded on the rear of my bike last year and had no trouble with bead retention or burping
    when i got mine, a year ago, i posted up my issues. others reported the same thing. most likely they had issues with the early production runs.

the lackluster, no care attitude from Terrene is what soured my opinion of the brand. I had them on nexties, scrapers, and a few different width mulefuts, all with the same end result. They blamed the mulefuts, saying they were not in tolerance and were known to have issues blah blah.... I then contacted the local Terrene rep, met with him and brought a bunch of wheels with me. I showed him first hand the issues, and he gave me a contact at Terrene. Never got a response despite multiple attempts. so, imho, Terrene is a sh!t company.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I then contacted the local Terrene rep, met with him and brought a bunch of wheels with me. I showed him first hand the issues, and he gave me a contact at Terrene. Never got a response despite multiple attempts. so, imho, Terrene is a sh!t company.
    This blows my mind...you met with a Terrene Rep...and then he gave you a contact at Terrene. The rep should've been all over your issue and handled everything him/herself. That IS poor customer service.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I was planning on putting 27.5 x 3.8 gnarwals on this bike, but couldn't find any in stock at the time. 45N came through with the wonder Vanhelga's. These are set up toobless with stans on mulefute 65's. I might be looking into some carbon 80mm rims in the future for a second wheelset.

Copying this over from the Suzi Q thread

Did a 10 mile test ride tonight with the vanhelga's. Maybe an inch of snow on a kinda frozen ground. Wish I ran more pressure tonight as I felt slow. Keep in mind the trail/ground is soft also. Everything works as advertised. The tires are taller than the minion fbf so you tend to run a gear higher on the cassette. Traction is excellent and am looking forward to a decent snowfall now. I will put another 15-20 miles on tomorrow in some colder weather and report back.

I started 10psi front 15 psi rear at 70f inside. Temp was 21f while riding. My guess is they dropped 3-5 psi in the cold. Not as much volume as the 26x4.7s I am use to running.

27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-img_20181109_160401.jpg27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-img_20181109_160356.jpg27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-img_20181109_160349.jpg27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-img_20181108_161342.jpg27.5X4  Who's excited? Who's not?-img_20181108_161350.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mk3Rider View Post
    I was planning on putting 27.5 x 3.8 gnarwals on this bike, but couldn't find any in stock at the time.

Dohp. I've had them in stock continuously since last winter...

New VH's look very good indeed, but their lack of stud pockets will keep Gnarwhals on my bike all winter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Whatís the fattest 27.5 rim? Largest advertised width Iím finding is Nextie at 85mm, they donít specify if thatís internal or external.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Willum View Post
    Whatís the fattest 27.5 rim? Largest advertised width Iím finding is Nextie at 85mm, they donít specify if thatís internal or external.
    The new Enve rims are the widest at 94mm external 85mm internal..

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AKCheesehead View Post
    The new Enve rims are the widest at 94mm external 85mm internal..
    they also require the widest wallet to purchase too... :P

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Between the 27.5 hodag and the 27.5 vanhelga what is a better overall summer tire?

Any appreciable difference between the 60 tpi vs 120 in the vanhelga?

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaker View Post
    Between the 27.5 hodag and the 27.5 vanhelga what is a better overall summer tire?

hodag would be better rolling and it has a thinner sidewall than the VH. Personally, i get a flat every ride with a hodag, so it is VH for me. you have to make sure you have clearace for the VH, as it is almost an inch taller then every other 27.5x3.8/4 out there.

regarding the 60 vs 120 tpi, i have not had the 60 in my possession, so i cannot comment accurately.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaker View Post

Terrain dependent, but for western NC..... Hodag all day long. Then I'd throw the VH on when the leaves start falling (if you have a fork it would fit in).

hodag would be better rolling and it has a thinner sidewall than the VH. Personally, i get a flat every ride with a hodag

JRA on crushed limestone rail trail, right?!

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    JRA on crushed limestone rail trail, right?!
    no, i usually ride on down feathers...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hodag on toothy rocky trails is a liability for me too, seems like a smooth, snow or sand tire IMO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Just a heads up. Modern Bike has a sale going on 45NRTH tires. Just placed an order for some D4ís 60 tpi studded in 27.5x4 for $128 a tire. The 120 tpi are going for $168 a tire.
    Going to run these on 80mm Jackalopeís on my Fatboy.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yes Iím referring to the 27.5 x 4.0 VH on the Fox 34. Mounted to a 65mm Nextie rim thereís more than 1/4Ē to the arch. Would be tighter with a 50mm rim. Rode today in plenty of mud without issue.
    This is good news! Should clear the crown at full compression also. Will need to order one for my factory 34 and my factory 36. Thanks for the pic!

PCT
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Comments/reviews on 27.5 VanHelga vs. FBF etc.? Sounds like it's about the same width as all the other 3.8's. The 26x4 VanHelga is a great tire so interested to hear how the 27.5 version performs.

Currently running FBF 27.5x3.8 on 50mm rim with Fox 34 27.5 Boost Plus fork. Want a little more float in the front but from the numbers all the wider (4.5-ish) options are too tall.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314