27.5x4 and exposed sidewalls- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

27.5x4 and exposed sidewalls

Hello,

I have some 85mm rims on my Wednesday that I was initially running Hodags on. Ended up cutting the sidewall of my rear tire on my first ride with the bike (cut by a rock).

I'm considering riding this bike as my summer rig and I'm wondering if there is another 27.5x4.0 tire that is slightly bigger or has enough side knob and sidewall protection to help protect against cuts.

I have Gnarwahls on right now and both my Gnarwahls and the Hodags that I cut are very worn from lots of snow riding by a previous owner. The casing threads are exposed in some parts which certainly contributed to the cut I got in my Hodag. I guess I'm looking for something that fits kind of in between these two so that I have some clearance in the back of my Wednesday and also have some protection for rim.

I'd say that right now I'm looking primarily at the Dillinger 4 and 5 along with the Van Helga.

Thanks.

Riding conditions will be generally loose and dusty with some large rock. My favorite normal tire is a Maxxis Rekon (which has been amazing on the front or rear of all of my bikes).

Rippin da fAt
    Something that would be nice is 65mm rims. I am building up a mid-fat that would benefit by them since it will be full time 3.8/4.0 and doing year round service. my winter tire choice will be the Van Helga 27.5 and summer will be FBR's.

VH is notably fatter than the FBR and may serve better in terms of fatness for the 85's you have.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

WNC Native
    Honestly those rims are probably too wide for all the 27.5-3.8-4.0 tires and dry techy trail use. These tires mostly all measure 3.5-3.7Ē wide on different width rims.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Yeah that's pretty much what I thought. New rims are probably not an option at this point. So maybe the D5 is an option?

mtbr member
    Maybe a D5, but I think even though you are getting possibly more sidewall protection, you are also going wider making it harder to get through techy stuff without cutting sidewalls. On the other hand it may be just wide enough to allow for more steam rolling rocks and avoiding sidewall damage. If going that route I would suggest looking at the Barbegazi instead, great tire and actually in groomed, packed, or light snow a fantastic tire.

WNC Native
    I was thinking the Barbegazi might be a good option as well, plus isnít too wide for your frame.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

This place needs an enema
    Get one of the FBF or FBR tires in the 4" size. Crazy durable sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Mike, would you run that on an 85mm rim vs the Barbegazi? Just wondering what your thoughts are on the tire profile at that width.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkers View Post
    Mike, would you run that on an 85mm rim vs the Barbegazi? Just wondering what your thoughts are on the tire profile at that width.

FBF and FBR are the only tires anywhere close to the size you need with burly enough sidewalls to resist what you're going to do to them.

I love Barbe's and use them quite a bit. But they won't last any longer than Hodag did for you.

The real answer for you is to get a narrower rear rim. But that's a much more expensive solution. The FBF/FBR are the answer until you can afford a new rim/wheel.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    VH is notably fatter than the FBR and may serve better in terms of fatness for the 85's you have.
    this is incorrect. VH is the same width as the FBR (and any other 27.5x3.8 or 27.5x4 tire). VH has a taller OD and a more aggressive knob then the FBF/FBR, but they are the same width on the same rim.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    this is incorrect. VH is the same width as the FBR (and any other 27.5x3.8 or 27.5x4 tire). VH has a taller OD and a more aggressive knob then the FBF/FBR, but they are the same width on the same rim.
    Perhaps your pair of FBR 3.8's are fatter than the pair I have but when I put a VH next to the FBR, my L. S. Starrett said the opposite.
    Doctor recommended...

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Perhaps your pair of FBR 3.8's are fatter than the pair I have but when I put a VH next to the FBR, my L. S. Starrett said the opposite.

How wide did Mr Starrett say your VH was?

Bonus points for having Starrett calipers too btw!

mtbr member
    I have no experience with the Maxxis tires, but my VH tires are a good bit wider and taller than the Hodags they replaced.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I have no experience with the Maxxis tires, but my VH tires are a good bit wider and taller than the Hodags they replaced.
    yes, i remember when you got them from REI at the steal of a price... i have them all (maxxis, gen1 VH, gen2 VH, 60 and 120tpi) currently in my possession.

gen1 VH is 3/4" taller then the hodag, but is same width on same width wheel. gen2 VH is 1/4" taller than a hodag (most of that is knob size). the width is essentially the same, but the gen2 VH has a larger side lug increasing width a smidge.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    yes, i remember when you got them from REI at the steal of a price... i have them all (maxxis, gen1 VH, gen2 VH, 60 and 120tpi) currently in my possession.

gen1 VH is 3/4" taller then the hodag, but is same width on same width wheel. gen2 VH is 1/4" taller than a hodag (most of that is knob size). the width is essentially the same, but the gen2 VH has a larger side lug increasing width a smidge.
    I did get a great deal on those VHs! I think they are gen1, and they are taller and also wider than the Hodag on the same rim(65mm). I don't remember exactly how much, but it was something like 5-10mm wider.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    How wide did Mr Starrett say your VH was?

Bonus points for having Starrett calipers too btw!
    Thankya, Nitrous! I have a few L. S. Starrett tools in the quiver. As for the measurements, I didn't keep a record of it and will hafta redo that portion. The original purpose was to see if the VH bFat would fit his frame/fork.
    Doctor recommended...

Rippin da fAt

Damn, I'm sure glad to have a pair of gen 1 VH's before 45Nrth decided they were giving us too much tire! Little bastages...

Pair of FBF 3.8 prototype, pair of FBR 3.8 120 TPI production tires on the shelf as well as a collection of 4.8" tires for the Mayor to wear. bFat's are for Sarge V3.
    Doctor recommended...