27.5x3.8-4.0 on Lythic 70 rims?- Mtbr.com
    WNC Native

New question here. 27.5x3.8-4.0 on Lythic 70 rims?

Is anyone on here running 27.5x3.8-40 tires on Lythic 70mm wide rims? If so can you post up pics showing tire profile and rim/sidewall shots?

I previously ran some 26x3.8 tires on 80mm Mulefut and beat the crap out of the rim (and tire sidewalls).
    I'm thinking since the 27.5x3.8 tires measure closer to 3.5-3.7 depending on rims, that the 70mm Lythic is still too wide for rocky/rooty tech terrain riding.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I think 70mm is fine for 3.8". Jackalopes are 80mm and still it's rarely hitting any rocks. And Farleys have used that setup from the factory also.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by solisti View Post
    Jackalopes are 80mm and still it's rarely hitting any rocks.
    guess it depends on location/use. everyone who has the butter like jackalopes by me has eleventy billion bends in them from rocks, or they failed so they swapped to another rim, typically mulefut.

i have 27.5x4 vanhelgas on 70's on my wednesday. Riding today, i will snap some pics before the ride and post them up later tonight.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

WNC Native
    Rodney sent me pics via FB. It's still not a comforting amount of rim protection. Think it's going to be smarter to go in a different direction or just keep using my 50mm Mulefut rear wheel for both setups one.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    guess it depends on location/use. everyone who has the butter like jackalopes by me has eleventy billion bends in them from rocks, or they failed so they swapped to another rim, typically mulefut.

i have 27.5x4 vanhelgas on 70's on my wednesday. Riding today, i will snap some pics before the ride and post them up later tonight.

I won't argue with the Jackalope's being easy to dent. I'll just ask WTF are you running 80mm rims for riding rocks, ledges, and dirt?

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I won't argue with the Jackalope's being easy to dent. I'll just ask WTF are you running 80mm rims for riding rocks, ledges, and dirt?
    lots of Farleys running around in my neck of the woods, which have jackas as oem. not everyone can afford multiple wheelsets. in fact, you sold a set of wampas to one of the local farley owners, and he broke a wampa too...

not me tho, i know the jackas are made of room temp butter. :P
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

lots of Farleys running around in my neck of the woods, which have jackas as oem. not everyone can afford multiple wheelsets. in fact, you sold a set of wampas to one of the local farley owners, and he broke a wampa too...

Anything can be bent/broken/tortured if used beyond it's design intent.

Like you, I *love* riding 27.5 x 4" tires off road. For several years now. I've killed tires but not yet a rim. A big part of the reason why is that I'm using 45mm rims. Perfect width for 3-season use.

WNC Native
    Like you, I *love* riding 27.5 x 4" tires off road. For several years now. I've killed tires but not yet a rim. A big part of the reason why is that I'm using 45mm rims. Perfect width for 3-season use.
    Agreed!!! That other season is where my question is coming in. We don't get enough snow for float to matter here, but I'd like to have a wider rim/lower pressure setup for the slower winter rides when rocks/roots/etc... are hidden under leaf cover. Debated just getting a Gnar 3.8 from you for the front and staying with the i45s year round, still might.....

mtbr member

27.5x3.8-4.0 on Lythic 70 rims?

Do the 65/70mm rims take out the self steer?

Want something i can fly around without the self steer at 7/8psi but still run on snow vs a 40/50mm rim.

Not really looking for snow float. Would be very solid snow conditions. Anything else would run my 4.5gnars and 80mm rims.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Do the 65/70mm rims take out the self steer?

Want something i can fly around without the self steer at 7/8psi but still run on snow vs a 40/50mm rim.
    i would not run the 50mm rim and 4" tire on the snow. two rounded a profile, and it sucked the handful of time i did it (hodag and fbf/fbr)

I like the 70's for my sloppy conditions setup. combined with the 27.5x4 VH, i think it is the best for my local root/rock. I destroy 80's w/ 4" tire and the 70's seem to only have a few scratches on them so far.

I have 90's w/ 4.6" studs for winter, 70's with 4" for sloppy/wet, and 50's w/ 4" for general trail riding. Hoping to add a 29x40 internal setup into the mix so have what i think is the perfect wheel quiver.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

Right, but if you turn off the heat and open the windows, especially in December, then room temp gets to be around or below freezing. And then the butter firms up. And then the Jacka's are inarguably the best all-around rim out there.

I get that not everyone can afford multiple bikes or wheelsets. But that doesn't change the fact that Jacka's were never meant to be used for bashing through rocks...

P.S. Get that vomitous green sled assembled already, will ya?!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I ran a 27.5 Hodag on a Duroc 50 rim on the front of my Jones for a while and that it gave a nice rounded profile for dry weather riding. No snow in my part of the country, so float was never a consideration for me.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Anything can be bent/broken/tortured if used beyond it's design intent.

I recognize those last sections of your ride. I ride/drive by the river daily. Very nice!
    Silly bike things happening.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    I get that not everyone can afford multiple bikes or wheelsets. But that doesn't change the fact that Jacka's were never meant to be used for bashing through rocks...
    like harbor freight tools, everything in my possession eventually becomes a hammer...

P.S. Get that vomitous green sled assembled already, will ya?!
    sorry, it is wall art. It is the centerpiece of my next gallery showing.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac