27.5 Tires for Stan's Hugo?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

27.5 Tires for Stan's Hugo?

Howdy folks.

I'm looking into building up a 27.5+ whip, but don't see any tires that fit the bill... yet. Anyone know of a 27.5 x 3.0 tire?
    [The Dirt Wizard, Knard, and Chronicle all seem to have skipped the middle size...?]

Thanks.

[I posted this in the 27.5 forum, but figured I've have better luck here...]

Big wheels keep on rollin
    the new WTB Trailblazer is 2.8" and just getting out on the market. Vee has a 3.25" tire coming soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by senor_mikey View Post
    the new WTB Trailblazer is 2.8" and just getting out on the market. Vee has a 3.25" tire coming soon.
    What he said. Those are the only 2 even on the radar at the moment. The WTB tire is just getting released. I have not been able to get an answer on when the Vee Trax Fatty 27.5 will be released. The released the 29+ version a couple of weeks ago, but no news on the 27.5+ yet. Should be released before the Hugo in any case.

Keeping my fingers crossed that we will see something new at Interbike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by senor_mikey View Post
    Second that. We just need to wait and see now...
    Last edited by Max24; 03-07-2015 at 09:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks, folks. I hadn't seen the WTB; the tread looks ok, but I'm wishing that Maxxis would put out a Chronicle in 27.5 x 3 (at least from the early proto reviews I've read). I reckon they'll be slow in coming...

And this likely has been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere, but doesn't at 27.5+ (which is very close to 29" in diameter) seem to be an near-ideal wheel size for traction, rollover, and spin-up? I've played around on a Krampus, and really dig it for what it is, but really want something more playful, and race-able. (Though, I do know one guy that kills it on his Krampus, somewhat surprisingly.)

Frame Building Moderator Moderator
    The thing I think is awesome about the + thing is that you can independently pick the diameter and width of your tires (assuming the 26+ and 27.5+ stuff takes off, it looks like the 29+ is here to stay). Want 31" wheels and fatties? 29+. 29" wheels and fatties? 27.5+. Skinny racer-boy tires and 29"? Normal 29er. Etc, etc. There are some gaps with the really big fat tires (ie not much selection of 4"x24" stuff) but maybe that will change too.

It's just amazing to me, given that back in the day when I started riding you could get from about a 1.9 to a 2.3 (if you hunted around a lot) in one diameter in a few random knob patterns and every bike was 71/73 "NORBA" geometry. Ugh. Viva choices!

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Funny you replied, Walt. I really love your frames; I've been heavily leaning toward asking you if you'd build something like the above. My bro Jon Kersting has been championing your work loudly in my ear.

Frame Building Moderator Moderator
    My guerilla marketing is working, muahaha!

Watch out, Specialized.

-W

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

WTB Trail Blazer.

Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    Howdy folks.

I'm looking into building up a 27.5+ whip, but don't see any tires that fit the bill... yet. Anyone know of a 27.5 x 3.0 tire?
    [The Dirt Wizard, Knard, and Chronicle all seem to have skipped the middle size...?]

Thanks.

[I posted this in the 27.5 forum, but figured I've have better luck here...]
    I just built up a single speed with the new WTB trailblazer tires. Though I would like to try a different tire at some point, I find no current drawbacks to the WTB tire. Fast rolling (for what it is), and grip is to the max. I weigh about 145-150 pounds and runem around 17 psi. Great for loose rocky technical climbs, the lower pressure allows me to descend like im riding a 4" XC bike. I am doing some 24 hour races next year and I think this tire setup will be perfect for that as well Nice and comfy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    That's my plan... What frame did you use?

mtbr member

27.5 Tires for Stan's Hugo?

Quote Originally Posted by modifythis View Post
    I just built up a single speed with the new WTB trailblazer tires. Though I would like to try a different tire at some point, I find no current drawbacks to the WTB tire. Fast rolling (for what it is), and grip is to the max. I weigh about 145-150 pounds and runem around 17 psi. Great for loose rocky technical climbs, the lower pressure allows me to descend like im riding a 4" XC bike. I am doing some 24 hour races next year and I think this tire setup will be perfect for that as well Nice and comfy.
    What did your overall diameter end up being with the WTB? The 29+ will make my bike to tall for me. So I am hoping 27.5+ will work out for my second wheel set. I think the 26+ will make my bb height to low and I will possibly get pedal strikes on my mukluk.

So I am looking at either the 26 or 27.5 50mm Hugo's. I have been running tubeless basically from the start and plan on keeping it that way. The only draw back is swapping tires for rides. I often do beach rides and the nates drag like crazy for this. I have a set of endo's that I will use for a rear with something else up front possibly if I don't go one of the plus size routes.

Hopefully that ramble makes sense. The vee trax fatty looks very promising. It should be just about the perfect size for me.

Live Free & Ride
    Stan @ NoTubes said at Interbike that he plans on also making a 3 inch tire to complement the Hugo 27.5. Hope so cuz these rims are bad-ass and need a tire like the Chronicle with side treads that bite in! Patience is your friend now.
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel - sold
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Any new 27.5+ tires come out, that ya'll know of?

Also, this is germane to the discussion: Carbon Fat Bike 27.5+ Rim 50mm Width 650B/27.5" Double Wall Hookless Tubeless Compatible

Live Free & Ride
    Just got this in from Drew @ WTB:

"For the time being, the Trailblazer tire is out of stock. We did not anticipate such a warm welcome from the riding community and we grossly under ordered. WTB is expecting another shipment in about a month. We have a list of interested customers a mile long and we will have to see if we can fulfill all of the eagerly awaiting orders from dealers and customers. I would love to say that I could send you a set this very second but due to such high demand I don't want to make empty promises. Would you like me to fire you off an email as soon as we get them back in stock so you can get a heads up, and get your hands on some before they disappear once again?

I apologize for the wait, we did not think they would go this fast.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions".
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel - sold
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

Big wheels keep on rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by Collins View Post
    Any new 27.5+ tires come out, that ya'll know of?

Also, this is germane to the discussion: Carbon Fat Bike 27.5+ Rim 50mm Width 650B/27.5" Double Wall Hookless Tubeless Compatible
    Panaracer has a 3" version of the Fat b Nimble in production and expects to have them at retailers in Feb 2015 according to their FB page.

Pretty cool response from WTB on demand. This B+ thing is going to be bigger than 29+ in a few years.

Wrench-O-Phile
    Pic of a 27.5+ Maxxis Chronicle on this bike. The tire itself is mentioned on the very last line of the article. Maybe a UK introduction first? Either way, this would be a great 27.5+ tire. I currently run the 29+ version and love it.

27.5 Tires for Stan's Hugo?-genesis.jpg

Genesis Bikes 27.5+ prototype rigid steel mountain bike revealed | Bike Magic
    Just keep pedaling...

visit the sticki chronicles

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I just recived some Trax Fatty 3.25" for my 650b+ build, they are a tad heavy at 930/980gm, but they have a typical bomber Vee Rubber sidewall, so they will take the abuse of rock riding. The casing is ~80% as wide as the Vee Rubber Floater 26 x 4".

I have ridden the Trax tire pattern on my 36er, it is very fast and gets excellent traction, more like an Ardent/Ardent Race than a Hans Damph, a nice all around tread that should last well.

I decided to get a "double hook" rim to better grasp the bead, so I got the WTB Scrapers. I have some unbuilt Velocity Duallys, which are not a terrible rim, but I just don't think they're quite as good at holding tubeless tires in place.

These wheels will serve dual purpose on a tandem and FS fat bike.