mtbr member

27.5 Jackaloupe vs 27.5 Mulefut Rims

In your opinion, which rim (80mm) would be better to use in a wheel-build?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    One of the Trek engineers behind their 27.5 fat and 29+ bikes discussed those with me via my torn between a 2016 or 2017 Farley. His answer was both but he was also talking about the OEM wheels. He said Jackalope easiest for tubeless (true) and said they are lighter more expensive wheels. Mulefuts help cut cost of 2017 bikes, more work to do tubeless and better for a Clydesdale.

Of course his advice was free and they also need to sell bikes. I have not taken the time to look up the specs.

I don't weigh a lot but I ride the 26 and 27.5 Jackalopes at a place known for greased sharp rock. They're holding up to my 150 lbs.

mtbr member
    Ok thanks. That exactly the info I was looking for. I will go with the Jackalopes. My terrain here is softer here in Florida. Softer with lots of roots. Being 5lbs less than you I should be fine. What part of the country are you?

mtbr member
    Used my Jackalops hard for a year, including bikepacking in rough terrain. Still perfectly true. And the other day I inflated them tubeless with my hand pump. Glad I got my bike before Trek made the backwards move to mulefuts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by burtjason View Post
    Ok thanks. That exactly the info I was looking for. I will go with the Jackalopes. My terrain here is softer here in Florida. Softer with lots of roots. Being 5lbs less than you I should be fine. What part of the country are you?
    I'm in WI - variety of dirt, variety of rock, sand and snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Teton29er View Post
    Used my Jackalops hard for a year, including bikepacking in rough terrain. Still perfectly true. And the other day I inflated them tubeless with my hand pump. Glad I got my bike before Trek made the backwards move to mulefuts.
    2017 prices are lower so it's not a backward move for everyone.

mtbr member
    My 26" mulefuts are holding up good on my 2017 farley7. Am looking at some 27.5 Jackalopes with 3.8 hodags now for the dry. any of you guys running this setup on a Farley? How much different is it? Is it worth the expense?. I don't have any problem with the mulfuts but would not have minded paying a little more for the jackalopes.
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I would wait for a 27.5 x 65mm rim.
    That's what I'm doing anyway - otherwise it's just not worth it.
    I say this as a Farley 7 rider BTW.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy316 View Post
    My 26" mulefuts are holding up good on my 2017 farley7. Am looking at some 27.5 Jackalopes with 3.8 hodags now for the dry. any of you guys running this setup on a Farley? How much different is it? Is it worth the expense?. I don't have any problem with the mulfuts but would not have minded paying a little more for the jackalopes.
    Our Farley 8 and Farley 9.6 gives us both setups. One of Trek's engineers behind their going to that size told me Jackalopes are lighter, Mulefuts stronger. I'm 150 and riding nasty rock places hasn't wrecked the rims yet.

On how much different or worth the price? Hmmm..... I've ridden the carbon frame with 26 inch rims, and the 27.5 with Wampa, Barbegazi and Hodag. Add I've ridden Farley 9s with the 27.5. Differences are there but as I've said elsewhere nothing like working on your bike engine if you really want to go faster and do more.

The larger rim and tire combo has less bounce like a basket ball feeling and feels less like a fat bike riding summer trails. I have no experience with less than Jackalope but the 27.5 Hodag seems to have more holding power when really leaned over - in regular tire terms kind of like a Maxxis tire edge hold vs more round tire.

Having ridden 2.8 and 3 inch plus tires, now that I own the Farley with 27.5 and Hodag my desire for plus wheels has dropped and I will probably get fatter winter tires.

Know this about my opinions or feelings. No plus or fat bike has the speedy ripping characteristics of my DJ bike, Honzo or Remedy with conventional tires. That probably influences my thinking 27.5 Hodag is where I want to be for fast fat setup. I ride fat in summer more than I ever expected to but it's for less than ideal or super difficult conditions.