Results 1 to 43 of 43
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11

    Idea! 27.5 Fat (Read 4") Wheels/tires on a Surly Wednesday?

    Hello all!

    I happen to have acquired a pair of the 650bx80mm Jackalope rims (just the rims) and was thinking that they just might fit in a Wednesday frame, with the rear wheel slid back a bit...

    Anyone care to weigh in? Thoughts, ponderings, scoldings, etc...

    From the Surly website:

    "We wanted Wednesday to give you a lot of options in the tire clearance category. In the full-forward, short chainstay position you can run 26 x 3.8˝ tires on 80mm rims and in the full-rearward, longer chainstay position you get the option of 26 x 4.6˝ tires on an 80mm rim."

    I don't really want to buy a frameset to find out there's not a chance in hell that they'll fit... Anyone compare the tires yet? Mikesee?

    As it is, I'd probably have two sets of wheels... 27.5x4-ish for summer and 26x4.7-ish for winter...

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,385
    I've seen a Wed. set-up with Nextie 65 mm rims and 3.8 in tires. Looked great and the rider, quite experienced feller, described it as sort of a middle ground between full fat and 29+. I'd say go for it.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dRjOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,524
    they will fit diameter wise - the hodags are 747-750mm ime, and are probs going to be ~95mm wide on 80mm rims? maybe a little more?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,385
    Yeah I didn't measure but looked like Hodags on Nextie 65mm rims fit without issue.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Welnic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    883
    I'm running 27.5 x 4.5 Barbegazis on 50mm (OD) rims on 2014 Mukluk. I had to slide the rear axle all of the way back. The closest thing to the tire is at the rear seat stay bridge. I don't think it would fit if I was running 2 x 10 gearing. I can find the measurements somewhere. If that didn't fit then there are smaller tires that definitely would. I didn't go with Hodags because they are smaller width wise than my 26 x 3.8s, but they would definitely fit on a Wednesday.

    I found my Barbegazi measurements.

    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    So I've got one Barbegazi mounted up on a Nextie 50mm OD rim. I didn't have any success getting tubeless to work, it seemed like the rim was too narrow so the tire bead was inward and up from the edge of the rim. I'll try it again after it sits around with a tube in it for a while. It actually isn't even on well with the tube, there are a couple of spots where the bead hasn't seated.


    Barbegazi 27.5 x 4.50 on Nextie 50mm rim with 20 psi.
    94.5mm casing width.
    101mm knob width. The knobs stick out really far with the narrow rims.
    250mm B2B
    765mm tall. This is just measured placed against a wall with no weight. For comparison I measured a couple of other tires the same way.
    Well worn Knard 26 x 3.8 on Marge Lite was 724mm tall.
    Vee Trax Fatty 27.5 x 3.25 on Nextie 50mm was 739mm tall.


    Took a quick look at the rear of the Mukluk and it looks like the width is okay and I need to move the axle rearward for clearance around the chainstay yoke.

    27.5 Fat (Read 4") Wheels/tires on a Surly Wednesday?-fat3tires.jpg

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: classrc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    204
    FWIW, I'll be running a 1x11...

    Most parts will come from my current build, except the wheels and seat post...

    Now, let's see if I can find a frameset...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: classrc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    204
    LBS says mid August for a large frame set... I guess I'll wait.

  8. #8
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,698
    Quote Originally Posted by classrc View Post
    LBS says mid August for a large frame set... I guess I'll wait.
    It'll be worth the wait. B Fat is (IMHO) what most people riding fat would best be served by, if only they'd take the time to try it. 1%ers will always need something else, or 2 something elses, but for most B Fat is the "one" answer.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,222
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    It'll be worth the wait. B Fat is (IMHO) what most people riding fat would best be served by, if only they'd take the time to try it. 1%ers will always need something else, or 2 something elses, but for most B Fat is the "one" answer.
    OK, for arguments sake. The 27.5 fat seems interesting. But where are the tires? Studded?

  10. #10
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,591
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    It'll be worth the wait. B Fat is (IMHO) what most people riding fat would best be served by, if only they'd take the time to try it. 1%ers will always need something else, or 2 something elses, but for most B Fat is the "one" answer.
    I'm considering this myself as my full time wheels vs 26" fat and 29+ wheelsets.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    132

    27.5 Fat (Read 4") Wheels/tires on a Surly Wednesday?

    I framed up my Wednesday, it's currently running scrapers on 3.0 trail boss 27+ summer mode, for groomed trails this winter I'll mount a 3.8 hodag. I'll most likely lace up a 65mm or 80mm 27.5 nextie set for the non groomed thick stuff with the new barbi's, pretty excited


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: classrc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by Haste11 View Post
    I framed up my Wednesday, it's currently running scrapers on 3.0 trail boss 27+ summer mode, for groomed trails this winter I'll mount a 3.8 hodag. I'll most likely lace up a 65mm or 80mm 27.5 nextie set for the non groomed thick stuff with the new barbi's, pretty excited


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm trying to figure out what size frame I'd need... I bounce between Md and Lg based on geometry... What are your rough dims and what size did you get?

    I'm leaning towards a Lg for Reach, but worried about stand over, especially with the B fat wheels...

    Thx!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    132

    27.5 Fat (Read 4") Wheels/tires on a Surly Wednesday?

    I'm 5'9" 30.5ish inseam w/ ridding shoes. I'm riding a medium quite a lot of seat post exposed with a 50mm stem and 787mm bars. Fits perfect, I wouldn't wanna be anymore cramped or lose any standover then what I currently have.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: classrc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by Haste11 View Post
    I'm 5'9" 30.5ish inseam, I'm riding a medium quite a lot of seat post exposed with a 50mm stem and 787mm bars. Fits great, small would be way to cramped, large i could ride with a shorter stem, but stand over would be a no go


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm 6' even, with 32' riding inseam. My 29r is a large with 90mm stem, with 720mm swept bars, and a moderate amount of post showing. But the stand over on the Wednesday is higher than my 29r... see pic for ref...


  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    132
    Tough to say, qbp isn't showing much stock if any last I checked on the Wednesday frame or complete so prob hard to get a leg over one. I'd prob go with a large frame that being said if I was in your shoes.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: classrc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    204
    Update... I now have a Wednesday frameset on the way! We'll see how this goes...

  17. #17
    B2
    Reputation: b2b2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    467
    "Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished."...Dean Koontz

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: classrc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    204
    I have wheels already, thx...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: classrc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    204
    Well, damn...




  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,494
    Get out the crescent wrench and bend it back, the beauty of steel!

  21. #21
    Flappity flappity flap
    Reputation: Zowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,590
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Get out the crescent wrench and bend it back, the beauty of steel!
    Yup. Although I would take a DAG to it afterwards.

    My eye might not be as good as Jag's though.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: classrc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Get out the crescent wrench and bend it back, the beauty of steel!
    They sent out a new frame yesterday... I should have it this week. Yay!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    343
    I'm considering this kind of build too, also thinking Wednesday or Mukluk. Trying to max out diameter with a mid-fat that's either low-fat or ++. Either the most ample 29+ on a 65mm rim or a true 27.5x3.8. Seems the diameter on the 27.5 fat is still having a hard time truly matching 29+.

    Trying to keep the chainstays short and the Q-factor minimal is the challenge, and then there's weight management.

  24. #24
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,698
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    OK, for arguments sake. The 27.5 fat seems interesting. But where are the tires? Studded?

    Bontager makes their Gnarwhal in 27.5 x 3.8" *and* 4.5" with stud pockets. Use the Bontrager studs, 45N's versions, or even the Nokian or Schwalbe.

    Terrene makes their Cake Eater in 27.5 x 4", in studded and studdable.
    Last edited by mikesee; 05-25-2018 at 01:36 PM.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by BATRG3 View Post
    I'm considering this kind of build too, also thinking Wednesday or Mukluk.
    What did you end up going with- have you made a decision yet? Wondering how big of a 27.5 tire I could fit in the back of a Wednesday.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ferrstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    365
    Hoping for some feedback too. I currently have a Wednesday frame I'm working on. I also have a 27.5 x 45 Easton Arc+ rim and a Maxxis 27.5x3.8 FBR tire ready to go. Just need to lace it up and give it a go. I will post back late next week if somebody doesn't beat me to it.

    FWIW I tried a 29 x 3 Chupa on a 40mm wide 29" rim and the tire hit the seat tube. I could have ran it if I backed the axle up about 15mm or so (about halfway back). That tire has a larger OD than the FBR so I'm hoping I can slide the axle all the way forward with this setup.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by goose8 View Post
    What did you end up going with- have you made a decision yet? Wondering how big of a 27.5 tire I could fit in the back of a Wednesday.
    I went a different route for my next purchase - Trek Stache. I am forbidden from even talking about buying another bike for a year or so.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrstein View Post
    Hoping for some feedback too. I currently have a Wednesday frame I'm working on. I also have a 27.5 x 45 Easton Arc+ rim and a Maxxis 27.5x3.8 FBR tire ready to go. Just need to lace it up and give it a go. I will post back late next week if somebody doesn't beat me to it.

    FWIW I tried a 29 x 3 Chupa on a 40mm wide 29" rim and the tire hit the seat tube. I could have ran it if I backed the axle up about 15mm or so (about halfway back). That tire has a larger OD than the FBR so I'm hoping I can slide the axle all the way forward with this setup.
    I was able to run my Hodag 27.5x3.8 slammed forward with plenty of room on scrapers 45id, let us know how the minions work out


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    133
    Any long term feedback regarding the use of Barbi tires on a 50mm rim??

  30. #30
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    595
    My Wednesday is B Fat w/ 65mm nextie & Minion 27.5x3.8 FBF/FBR.


    with the wheel all the way forward in the dropouts, clearance is acceptable. no way can you go larger without moving the wheel rearward.


    Quote Originally Posted by BATRG3 View Post
    I went a different route for my next purchase - Trek Stache. I am forbidden from even talking about buying another bike for a year or so.
    i did the same thing earlier this year. i came back to the wednesday, i friggin love this bike...
    Last edited by Rodney; 09-06-2017 at 06:36 AM.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ferrstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by Haste11 View Post
    I was able to run my Hodag 27.5x3.8 slammed forward with plenty of room on scrapers 45id, let us know how the minions work out
    Here's a pic of the FBR 27.5x3.8 120tpi tire. It's at 30 psi with a tube installed. I'm sure it'll expand a little when I go tubeless but of course I won't be anywhere near 30 psi. Right now I have about 1/4" clearance or a bit less with the wheel all the way forward in the dripouts. I'm comfortable with this clearance and plan to run it. Rim is an Easton / Raceface Arc 45+ with an internal width of 45mm.

    27.5 Fat (Read 4") Wheels/tires on a Surly Wednesday?-fbr-3.8-wednesday.jpg

  32. #32
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrstein View Post
    Here's a pic of the FBR 27.5x3.8 120tpi tire. It's at 30 psi with a tube installed.
    looks like the same clearance as the above pic. fyi, mine is on a 65mm rim, tubeless at 12psi.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ferrstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Jekyl View Post
    looks like the same clearance as the above pic. fyi, mine is on a 65mm rim, tubeless at 12psi.
    Yep. Looks like the DHR and FBR are very similar in diameter...

  34. #34
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    595
    oops, i am an idiot.

    i have the same tires on my wed. I have the DHF/DHR on my other bike...

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ferrstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Jekyl View Post
    oops, i am an idiot.

    i have the same tires on my wed. I have the DHF/DHR on my other bike...
    Ah... okay. So those pics really do look the same!

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Estuche View Post
    Any long term feedback regarding the use of Barbi tires on a 50mm rim??
    Bump. I'm curious too. There are some other threads going, but nothing conclusive (that I could find) regarding one of the new 27.5x 4 inch tire on a 50mm rim short of "it'll work". THANKS!!

  37. #37
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,698
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonDoubleU View Post
    Bump. I'm curious too. There are some other threads going, but nothing conclusive (that I could find) regarding one of the new 27.5x 4 inch tire on a 50mm rim short of "it'll work". THANKS!!

    The guy you quoted was asking about Barbe's, which are 4.5" tires. These work best on an ~80mm rim.

    The 3.8" tires measure closer to 3.5" on a 50mm rim, and they work just fine as such.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    379
    How does the wednesday ride with 27.5x3.8's compared to 26x3.8 on a standard 80mm rim?

  39. #39
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by captnpenguin View Post
    How does the wednesday ride with 27.5x3.8's compared to 26x3.8 on a standard 80mm rim?
    having a Wednesday with like 7 sets of wheels, i am fairly experienced to answer this question...

    ride will be stiffer given equal pressure. you have more sidewall with a 26x4 vs a 27.5x4.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    379
    Thanks, can it fit a 3.8" on the 27.5" rim if its 80mm wide? Do they even make a 27.5"x80mm rim? (my apologies if I missed this as I was reading through this thread and it's already been posted)

  41. #41
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    595
    Quote Originally Posted by captnpenguin View Post
    Thanks, can it fit a 3.8" on the 27.5" rim if its 80mm wide? Do they even make a 27.5"x80mm rim?
    i think they will fit. i have a set en-route, so i will test it and report back.

  42. #42
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,698
    Quote Originally Posted by captnpenguin View Post
    Do they even make a 27.5"x80mm rim?

    Yes, there are a handful of 27.5 x 80mm rims.

  43. #43
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,698
    Quote Originally Posted by BATRG3 View Post
    Seems the diameter on the 27.5 fat is still having a hard time truly matching 29+.

    I have a lot of both here (in my shop) at any given moment.

    On a whim I just grabbed a wheel with a 29+ DHF, and another with a B Fat Barbegazi.

    Total height measured out to within a millimeter. More or less identical. Both at realistic riding pressure -- low teens for the 29+, high single digits for the B Fat.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-04-2017, 06:55 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-22-2016, 02:09 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-14-2014, 06:40 PM
  4. Can u fit 27.5" wheels on Surly 1x1?
    By JPDJR in forum 27.5
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-25-2013, 05:26 AM
  5. More 4.8" Tires form Surly!!
    By FTMN in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2012, 03:05 PM

Members who have read this thread: 34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.