mtbr member since 1996

27.5 dirt tire - 3.8” Maxxis FBF/FBR vs 4.5” Barbegazi

Bike is a trek Farley with 27.5 wheels. In the summer I want to swap tires out. Winter tires are gnarwals which I may stud.

I want to make it as playful and quick as possible. It is a fat bike so I don’t expect it to be like a standard bike, but want to do what I can. Dropouts fully forward, tires that can be leaned over, good grip on rocky roots trails.

A set of 29+ wheels is really what I need, but for now that’s off the table.

Between rhe barbegazi and FBF/FBR what is the better tire for this use?
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

mtbr member
    I have barbergazis for summer... i would suggest the hodag over it.

The hodag is the lightest and fastest 3.8” tire currently. The maxxis tires are stiffer, slower but stronger side walls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member since 1996
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    I have barbergazis for summer... i would suggest the hodag over it.

The hodag is the lightest and fastest 3.8” tire currently. The maxxis tires are stiffer, slower but stronger side walls

Bontrager lists the Hodog at 1270g vs 1240 for the barbegazi. Weight isn’t that important to me, I’m more interested in the ride characteristics that make it less sluggish.
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I've ran 26x4.7 barbagazi's and 27.5x3.8 hodag's. The hodag's have slightly taller knobs and I find them a lot more fun to ride. You will have to run slightly higher pressures in the hodag's due to less air volume. But they rip!

I also have a set of 27.5x3.8 FBF's that the bike came with. They are meh, but do a decent job in the warmer months. Sidewalls are stiffer and they ride harsher. Feel kinda dead.

Thats my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Bontrager lists the Hodog at 1270g vs 1240 for the barbegazi. Weight isn’t that important to me, I’m more interested in the ride characteristics that make it less sluggish.
    You dont need the width in summer. The hodag is a better choice over the maxxis is what i mean.

mtbr member since 1996
    Thanks, for all the feedback. I had considered the Hodog a winter tire. They talk about snow so much in the product description I guess I wrote them off.

Would a 3.5 tire be worth looking into? I do have 80mm rims (Mulefut v2 80s).

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I don't think you will want to go narrower that 3.8" wide tires on your 80mm wide rims. The tire profile will be flattened out and will handle funky on dirt when it comes time to lean.

Your bike sucks
    I run Hodags and FBF/FBR.. I like FBF F&R vs FBF F/ FBR R. FBR is ok but FBF tracks better and doesn't pull. Both are slightly wider than the Hodag.

Hodag seems to be better in snow/ice conditions - knobs & siping. I feel it's slower than the FBF - has a bit more drag.

For trail riding, I think I give the slight nod to FBF - it's minon characteristics are familiar and I have more trust in the casing. For mixed w/ snow, Hodag.

This place needs an enema
    Agreed that 29+ is what you seek long term.

For now, running a set of the Hodag tires will get you closer than where you are with your Gnarwhals.

mtbr member

27.5 dirt tire - 3.8” Maxxis FBF/FBR vs 4.5” Barbegazi

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    I run Hodags and FBF/FBR.. I like FBF F&R vs FBF F/ FBR R. FBR is ok but FBF tracks better and doesn't pull. Both are slightly wider than the Hodag.

Hodag seems to be better in snow/ice conditions - knobs & siping. I feel it's slower than the FBF - has a bit more drag.

For trail riding, I think I give the slight nod to FBF - it's minon characteristics are familiar and I have more trust in the casing. For mixed w/ snow, Hodag.
    Huh. Well thats good news. I want 3.8” for summer but i can get the fbf for half price than the hodags. I might just go dual fbf then. Had gnarwhals for the winter trail and ice, barbs for racing and the fbfs for summer. Now i just need a second wheel set

I know guys with the beargrease and suzi qs and they haven’t said anything bad about the dual fbf.

mtbr member
    I have a 29+ setup for summer but I just picked up a set of Hodags to have as well