Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

26x5.05 XXL

350K views 2K replies 224 participants last post by  mikesee 
#1 ·

Via Instagram from Taipei show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#1,008 ·
I installed the 2XL on my 2016 Motobecane Boris the Brut. They fit within the stays well, but the chain in lowest gear (smallest chain ring/largest cog) is within 2-3 mm. I have modified the chainline with spindle spacers out about 4 mm. Is 6-7mm enough clearance off of the chain? This is at the closest point as the tire rotates; I see about a 2mm variance. BTW, my drive train is 2x10.

Also, is there a way to space the freewheel body out from the hub so I can keep the chainline the same as it was? I don't know if this will matter, but I'd like to do it if it is possible. I can't space the cassette of of the freewheel body, because there is no room.

#1,014 ·
The Snowshoe 2XL is not going to work for my bike. Even with spindle spacers the chain is too close. Is anyone in the Salt Lake City area interested in buying it? I paid $104, but I'm going to lose a fair amount sending it back. I'd be willing to sell it locally for $85. Otherwise, I'll just send it back. I put it on, tried to move the crank out to make it fit. I rode it on my driveway and decided I didn't want to risk the tire hitting the chain.

#1,017 ·
I don't know if this has been stated yet on this thread but you can add another bike frame that will fit the 2XL come April 2017.
That is when Surley will release the Big Fat Dummy with 197mm rear axle which will be able to fit up to 5.25" tires.
I've dreamt of this bike for years now. Can't wait to see it.

#1,019 ·
specalized fatboy carbon fork clears these tires when you remove brake caliper first

and i contacted rst usa, they send me RST renegade production dimensions. looks like RST renegade wont clear by about 5mm at the arch

i bought a wren inverted fork. should come in soon, will test it out and report back

here are couple of pictures of clearance on specalized fatboy fork @12psi on mulefut rims

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle wheel rim
Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part

#1,024 ·
I'm now the proud owner of a 2016 Blackborow with 2XL tires on Clownshoes, running 1x10 with Next SL crankset. Here's my initial ride reports:
Set up tubeless in front easily, haven’t gotten around to doing the rear yet. First ride was on about 3” of very firm snow running 4psi. Amazing traction and great ride. 2nd ride on 5” dry powder on technical single track with some steep climbs. Ran < 1psi. Very slow going and had to walk steeper climbs. My buddies riding up to 4.8” did much worse and walked a lot more. I was a little disappointed that I had to walk at all but it was clearly an advantage over the lesser tires. 3rd ride was the next day after significant warm-up (mid 40’s) and rain. I thought the ride would be terrible in what we call “sherbert” snow; tires were great. Much better than previous day; great ride and I could climb all but the steepest punchy climbs. No one else came out that day so no basis for comparison. Changes in the works: going to replace the 28t with 26t chainring; limiting factor of propulsion is the motor more than traction, so I need help! Surprisingly cramped cockpit for a medium frame as I’m 5’6” and could theoretically fit on a small frame. Going to replace the 70mm stem with a 100mm. Keeping weight forward in the snow reduces front wheel washout and balances weight to reduce rear wheel digging a trench, so the longer stem will help there too. Also, when in largest cog, chain slips down the cassette if I backpedal due to the chainline. This is a problem because whenever I dismount, I need to backpedal to get the pedal in a power position to get started, and inevitably the chain slips down to mid-cassette. I’m thinking that when I replace the chainring I’ll try moving a spacer from drive side to non-drive side to bring the chainline closer to the large cog (hopefully without causing chain-tire rub).

#1,029 ·
I'm now the proud owner of a 2016 Blackborow with 2XL tires on Clownshoes, running 1x10 with Next SL crankset. Here's my initial ride reports:
Set up tubeless in front easily, haven't gotten around to doing the rear yet. First ride was on about 3" of very firm snow running 4psi. Amazing traction and great ride. 2nd ride on 5" dry powder on technical single track with some steep climbs. Ran < 1psi. Very slow going and had to walk steeper climbs. My buddies riding up to 4.8" did much worse and walked a lot more. I was a little disappointed that I had to walk at all but it was clearly an advantage over the lesser tires.
Dry, fluffy powder can be very challenging, but with these tires in these conditions, you can take them down to 0psi, huge difference vs for example 1psi.
Lift the rear tire, push on the valve until no more air.
(reason why you should lift the tire is to avoid introducing a vacuum, ie negative pressure, even though that works too. One you get on the bike, a slight pressure will form in the tires due to volume changing from compression of the tire.
Remember to let air out of the front as well, as that makes a huge difference in the loose stuff, it slows down twitchyness and gives you time to correct. A more stable and straighter tracking front front end improves drive traction as well.
This is why running a 2XL on the front of bikes that can not run it on the rear is helpful in loose snow as you can take it down to lower pressures than any other tire.

#1,032 ·
Espen,
Thanks for the tips. 1 psi was a rough guess; I can compress the tire to the rim with 1 finger but was not brave enough to let all the air out while holding the tire up as you have described before. I will try that next time. Alas, the powder is gone, now firm crusty snow that the tires break through and bogs you down. Need some good grooming!

#1,034 ·
I want those 5.6's! I also want a 22.9 lb bike. What rims are you using? My powder bike (Blackborow/2XL's) weighs 33 lbs; my packed snow bike (carbon frame/Hed 85's/Next SL/Bud/Dunderbeist) is 23.5 lbs. Depending on how much I like the powder bike I may splurge and get Hed 100's; maybe next year.

#1,048 ·
Yep. It does. Remember reading the initial reviews and Quiring stated that they specifically engineered for possible 3XL.

Only question I have is whether that specific frame is designed for the ginormous 3XL prototype Espen's riding around on 3 ft. of snow with or some unknown future reduced production run size that's only moderately larger than 2XL.

#1,051 ·
Reading through the Quiring site again it says the Triple B is built for the 5.1" tire. It's got lots of clearance for the 5.1 but I don't think it has enough to take a 5.6".

#1,053 ·
Yeah, that's where I read it. My bad- not from Quiring himself.

I've never seen the current Triple-B in person but I'd bet there's probably adequate room for something 5.4ish coming out someday. The one pic I saw showed a definitely good amount of space at the stays around the 2XL.

Like ak-rider, guessing that a true 5.6" on 100mm rims in there could be like jamming Bud/Lou on Clownshoes on a Fatboy - it'll work but its new tirewhisker-rubbing close with a sidedish of scraped-off mud/snow now and then.

Would love someone with a Triple-B to hop on here and give us the lowdown on 2XL/100mm rim measurements at the stays to ballpark it. :)

#1,058 ·
Blackborow update: switched stem from 70 to 100mm; much better riding position. Switched 28 to 26t chainring; a little more low end torque. Moved 2 spacers from drive to nondrive side; chain still drops down cassette when backpedaling in large cog, but maybe less so and no chain rub. Set up rear tubeless and dropped to 32 lbs. Some air leak where white tread meets black sidewall, eventually sealed but makes me nervous about future delamination.