Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

26x5.05 XXL

350K views 2K replies 224 participants last post by  mikesee 
#1 ·

Via Instagram from Taipei show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#914 ·
This tire is definitely weird! Today I rode snow at 4 to 6 inches deep, great. Icy chunks are just fine. Then I was on the tarmac for 1/4 mile and the steering was all over the place, like hanging onto something that wants to do it's own thing. I'm running 3 psi. Two days ago I was running 6 psi and it was too bouncy. I feel like I need a system like a dropper post to adjust air pressure to match conditions every mile or so. I still love the tire, but it is definitely weird.

#921 ·
Will these tires fit an XL icecream truck, with the stock 2x10 gearing and 100mm rims?

It seems like it has enough clearance on the sides, but it is unclear how much taller this tire is vs a bud or lue.

(I tried wading through this thread to find the answer, but alas my searching abilities suck )

#923 ·
Will these tires fit an XL icecream truck, with the stock 2x10 gearing and 100mm rims?

It seems like it has enough clearance on the sides, but it is unclear how much taller this tire is vs a bud or lue.

(I tried wading through this thread to find the answer, but alas my searching abilities suck )

It can be done, but might need special dropouts, if I remember right..

#929 ·
Well seeing as my Bud and Lou wont work tubless for me, Im looking to get something as good (or better?)

I have a norco Sasquatch But unsure of fitment. 197mm rear end but chain stays are short at 440mm. Bud and lou fit just fine with room to spare but the front has to be wiggled past the brake caliper as its only a 235mm fork
Archives - Norco Bicycles
I break lots of trail so I wanted the good float and good tread depth/traction. The only thing left for me is the Beist combo but I worry about overall size being a bit small.

Thoughts on how to measure before ordering? Oh 80mm rims.
Thanks

#931 ·
Well seeing as my Bud and Lou wont work tubless for me, Im looking to get something as good (or better?)

I have a norco Sasquatch But unsure of fitment.
Thoughts on how to measure before ordering? Oh 80mm rims.
Thanks
I can almost guarantee that you won't be able to fit these. (I'm not saying that to be an xxxhole, just to save you forking out lots of dough on something unusable). I've managed to get these tires to fit on 455 chainstay length, but that's a rarity.

I'd say you need width close to this as a minimum to run these tires fine. Anything less is borderline..

Due to the huge diameter these normally hit the seatstays..

Again, this is next to jj 4.8, which are the same as your bud/Lou on 80mm.

so far what are the frames will clear this tire? and any one try using it with a rst renagate ?
Search this thread, a list was compiled earlier mentioning all custom and factory bikes that can fit these tires. (there are only a handful in existence)
I'll see if i can find it for you..

Edit:
Blackborrow size m and above frame and fork
Surly ict frame and fork
Quering Tripple b frame and fork
Reeb badonkadonk frame and fork
Rst Mayor (alu) frame and fork (limit to 80mm rims)
Meriwether frame and fork
Carver (titanium) frame and fork
Pole taiga (frame and fork)
+
1 more I've forgotten

907 fork
Lauf carbonara fork (limit to 90mm rims)
Moonlander fork
Fatlab fork (one of the few (only?) squish forks that will fit these tires)

Bluto: absolutely not, so The renegade fork: no

#937 ·
Assuming you have the fork, try this:

1. Find the widest point of your current tire, and make note of where that is on the inside of the fork.
2. Find a point approx 1" higher on the fork and measure the inside width of the fork at this point. Less than 5.2" is a NO.

Next time I pull my wheel off I'll take measurements with pics to show what to look for to see if it'll fit.

#942 ·
Hmmm......

I have been waiting three months for a D5 warranty claim and don't like what I'm hearing.

Maybe this is an alternative with some DIY studs. Likely overkill for what I use the bike for though.

#947 ·
The only difference between a 170 and 190 crank is spindle and spacers. Take out the spacers, flip the chainring around and use a shorter spindle. You have 190mm chainline still (so no change from stock) but narrower q factor for people that are bothered by wide.

The new Farley's are 190mm rear, not 170mm like the first versions, so the 2xl snowshoe is NOTHING for the bike to fit them with plenty of room.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

#966 ·
Dude, guard that frame and those tires with your life. That's a nice fit.

There's something special going on though, ekke's photos, and the Farley 5 posted earlier is how 2xl are "supposed" to (not) fit the Farley frame. The length of the chainstay, the width of the bike, etc dictates that they should not fit.

I really like the Farley, and I think it's a sweet ride. The reason why I'm not riding it is due to the (normally) lack of 2xl support. Seeing them on yours made me slightly jealous ?

How you've managed a fit that nice is beyond me, but I believe you've got something special. Wrongly branded tires? special edition frame? some manufacture mistake?
Whatever it is keep it and ride it.

For everyone else getting their hopes up, having seen one 5, one 7, and one 9.6 not fitting 2xl, makes me think they normally does not fit the Farley.

#965 ·
I'm no expert but wouldn't the rim width narrow the tire and decrease the diameter? The picture of it fitting shows there is plenty of room diameter wise.
A wider rim will make the tire a bit wider, a narrower rim will make the tire a bit taller.
Both have their advantages based on your riding.
Where I ride I would rather have the 80 for more sidewall protection and height. If I was flying around on hardpack the 100 would probably handle better.
But this is a snow bike. It never gets ridden on dirt.

#967 ·
I bought the Farley from my LBS and I ordered the 2XL's from them as well. Had to wait a year to get the tires.
Nothing special about either purchase though.
If anyone with a Farley 7 wants to run them I say buy one and fit it on the back first.
My Farley 7 is a 2016. The tires came in a week or so ago.
Maybe Vee has reduced the sidewall height? In the pics of the Farley 5 and 9.6 the tire seems to be rubbing above the notch where the frame is widest.
Maybe Vee reduced the sidewall height so the tire isn't as tall?
Trek says the Farley 7 can fit 5 inch tires, and these tire are 5 inches wide. But as you can see with the pics these are the biggest tires that can be fitted to this frame.