26x5.05 XXL

351K views 2K replies 224 participants last post by  mikesee 
#1 ·

Via Instagram from Taipei show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#576 ·
View attachment 1021495

Hooray! I have a Snowshoe 2XL (26 x 5.05) mounted on the front of my Mongoose Vinson without any special modifications. The rear tire is a Snowshoe XL 2(6 x 4.08). Unfortunately, the 2XL does not fit the rear tire. Additionally, it will not fit the front or back of my 18" Fatty Wompus.
Phew, mine is arriving mid day and I was sweating the fit!

#377 ·
My fatty, Motobecane Boris, has a 4" Nate in the rear and a 4.8" Bud in the front. I tried Bud in the rear, to see if Lou would fit, but the side knobs rubbed. I sold off the stock Bluto for a china carbon fork, which unintentionally lowered the front end, so I want my front tire to be as tall as she gets to approach normal geometry.

Any considerations for a 5+ in front and 4 in the rear? Will it ride funny with different weights, different diameters? How will it handle in snow? Am I just a moron?

#382 · (Edited)
I have a couple of Design Logic frames that will fit the 2XL arriving in a month or so but I sure can't find a front shock that will fit this tire. Does anybody know of a shock that will fit this tire?

I wonder how long we will have to wait for RockShox or someone else to bring such a front shock to market.
your best bet might be to fit a Mendon Cyclesmith Lefty. It's possible that one might be able to tweak the offset of the wheel enough on a clown shoe and massage the offset of the shock enough to make it work. as for other manufacturers? don't hold your breath.

#395 ·
I have officially pulled the plug on the Moonlander 2xl project. As much as i would like to run these i can't get them to stay put in the rear. The front was no problem with a ICT fork even though it did raise my front end some. Overall the extra height on my bike made me feel weird on it. I got the Bud and Lou's back on.

#406 ·
Front fork, about 6 mm clearance:

Rear, about 4-5 mm clearance:

Seat tube, about 12 mm clearance:

Chainstay (1st gear), 2 mm extra spacer installed between crank/BB, 2-3 mm clearance:

P.S. Good offer for M-size Blackborow in Germany: Salsa Blackborow 1 26'' Fat bike bike metallic grey 2015
im gonna be totally honest with you, I had more clearance on my moonlander and i got it to rub. I think its a rear hub/stiffness issue.

#407 ·
Great pics of your Blackborow, I wish everyone showed tire clearance like this.
I guess any tire rub depends on how stiff the frame is, how heavy the rider is, and how much power the bike receives to cause the spokes/rim to wander around.
A Moonlander being steel might be why it gets tire rub, but the stiffer AL Blackborow might not have any problems?

Laskimasa, can you tell us how heavy you are and how long you have been riding with no tire rub?

#477 ·
I used a Bontrager 2.8" tube to inflate and seat the beads of the 2XL's on my 105mm rims. They worked fine for that. But In the interest of actually having a tube that holds air indefinitely when needed, I'll be carrying Surly tubes as my spares when riding these tires.

#427 ·
You may be referring to my Design Logic bikes. I talked to Lance Portnoff today. He is making two (4130 straight gauge chromoly tubing) frames for me now that will fit the Snowshoe XXL. I will have the bare frames a month from now and I will post pics in this thread as soon as I receive them.

When I am done, it will look like this, but with Vee XXL tires and a front shock:
View attachment 1024908
That's the one. Great job on the build. That is pretty close to my dream bike that you are making. Is it too late to change the frame to fit a 6" tire?