Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

26x5.05 XXL

350K views 2K replies 224 participants last post by  mikesee 
#1 ·

Via Instagram from Taipei show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#195 ·
Sooooooooooo, I picked up mine today at the LBS. Fits the front of my Blackborow just fine. I was totally surprised to see it actually fit the rear of the Blackborow :skep:!! Chain clearance is TIGHT at 11 psi in the lowest gear (setup 1x10, not the original 2x10). Aired down to 3-5 psi, a little more clearance, and to be honest this is the tire pressure I will most likely ride at when I need this tire in the winter.

Sorry guys, I do not own measuring callipers or a scale to measure width and weight of this tire. I measure the width of the tire with a tape measure and eyeballed it the best I could, I'm gonna say 5 1/4 inches wide on 100mm rim.

Also, I have an Origin8 Crawler with a Surly Ice Cream Truck fork. This tire fits in the fork just fine, TONS of clearance!!

Sorry guys, I'm not selling it :p !! My only regret is not buying two, JB is out of stock :madman:

Hope this helps you guys!

3psi
Brown Photograph Line Black Snapshot

11psi
Brown Bicycle part Black Tan Horse tack

Salsa Fork Clearance
Product Bicycle tire Floor Flooring Bicycle part

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire Bicycle part

Surly ICT fork clearance
Wood Product Floor Hardwood Flooring

#203 ·
Fits the front of my Blackborow just fine. I was totally surprised to see it actually fit the rear of the Blackborow :skep:!!

View attachment 1006294
Can't tell from the picture (too dark) how far do you have the alternator drops swung back?

Yep, production casing width is somewhat narrower than the prototypes that I ran this winter.
Why the change? Based on feedback you and other companies returned to them?

#200 · (Edited)
Yep, production casing width is somewhat narrower than the prototypes that I ran this winter.
The protos were approx. 315mm bead-bead, while production version is approx. 297mm (Bud/Lou are around 260mm bead-bead for comparison)
Mounted casing width at (''industry standard'') 20psi is approx 5.2'' with tubes on a 100mm rim.
It is 5.0'' (knob width) on a 80mm rim.
(my protos are 5.5/5.65'' tubed/tubeless at the same 100 rim/pressure.
Don't have my notes here, so will post knob widths on 100/80 later.
Our production tires were around 31.5'' rolling diameter vs 32'' for the protos, so the height was kept closer to the proto than the width, so the tire volume is huge.
(protos had around 53% more volume than the biggest volumed 4.8'' on the market (Jumbo Jim with 265mm bead-bead), haven't measured the volume of the production 2XL yet , but also the production tire has huge volume, allowing for ultra low pressures and huge float.

To put things in context. Our 210lb test rider rode with the proto version on the rear (90mm rim) and a Surly Bud on the same width rim up front. The rear tire stayed afloat in super soft powder, while the Bud up front punched through the snow. Anyone who has ridden powder (or sand) knows what that means about float capabilities.
Now, the production version is not quite that huge (until 3XL arrives..) but it will still be in another league vs 4.8s.

Weight of our production tires (lightest version) were around 1680g (the 5.6'' protos were 1600/1680g, so production ones have been beefed up somewhat)

#205 · (Edited)
Found my notes, here are the measurements for our production version 2XLs:

On 100mm rim with tube at 20psi:
Casing width: 5.22''
Knob width: 5.10''
Rolling diameter: 31.5''

On 80mm rim with tube at 20psi:
Casing width: 4.85''
Knob width: 5.00''
Rolling diameter: 31.5''

For comparison, Snowshoe XL 4.8'' tubed on the same rim measured to 4.71'' casing and 4.60'' knob width and 29.8'' rolling diameter.
The numbers for Jumbo Jim 4.8'' were 4.76'' casing, 4.58'' knob width and 30.0'' rolling diameter.

#208 ·
TrailCrawler - How close does the tire come to the cable guide/bolt on the inside of the fork? Such stupid placement on Salsa's part. When I inquired, they said I could use one of the bolts on the cage mounts on the outside of the fork, which I've done.

#228 ·
I'm in Canada, so that kinda complicates things... But going to be in Massachusetts the last week of August. Would like to pick up a pair somewhere en route.

What's the retail on them?
I can't give you an honest answer on retail. I highly recommend you call a bicycle shop along you're route and ask if they could order you one and ask what they would charge for it.