Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

26x5.05 XXL

351K views 2K replies 224 participants last post by  mikesee 
#1 ·

Via Instagram from Taipei show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#230 ·
Geez, I haven't been on here in awhile and didn't know they were actually going to production with these. Saw the teaser shots last year. Kinda overboard if you ask me. I actually sold my Bud/Lou and going with the new 45nrth D/FBeists. Bud/Lou were just overkill for everything - and I'm in MN the fatbike capital of the world ;)

But seriously. There is a point to which you only need so much float. Over the years I got to that point and realized I only like riding full-on or somewhat groomed trails in winter or at least riding on snowmobile tracks on the river. 4.8's aren't needed for that, and I don't see anywhere these new behemoth tires would be needed, other than to have the "wow/neat/new" factor. They look like they would take any last bit of talent away that it takes to ride an already easy to ride fat bike.

#232 ·
Kinda overboard if you ask me. But seriously. There is a point to which you only need so much float. I don't see anywhere these new behemoth tires would be needed, other than to have the "wow/neat/new" factor. They look like they would take any last bit of talent away that it takes to ride an already easy to ride fat bike.
Spoken like someone that lives in MN, where a 3.8" treadless Endo is 'enough' 90% of the time!

#231 ·
On a 100mm rim, with a tube, at 20psi, they do not come close to fitting a Bluto. Kinda like a FUPA all crammed up under the arch. No way, not at any pressure.

Same rim, same pressure, they fit the Lauf Carbonara. ~5-6mm clearance per side, and inches of clearance on height.

Will be awhile til I bother setting this rim/tire up tubeless, but I suspect that once the tire has grown/stretched on that rim it'll be tight to the sides on the Lauf.

#236 ·
Ok, finally some actual test on the Moonlander.
First, let me state my situation and goals: I started investigating in fatbikes in February. Planned to build up one during the course of summer, to have it ready for fall/winter. the primary use was for snow riding, but I wasn't wary of using it also as a daily rider during other season, leaving the full sus enduro bike for mountain trips, thus avoiding heavy maintenance chores on the aforementioned bike fork & shock.
I was wondering which frame to buy, when I stumbled upon a 18" Moonlander framekit for peanuts. I snagged it up: frame, non-offest fork, headset, front mech mount.

I was more than happy, given the ability of the Moonie to use the ( then) bigger tires available,,,, then the Snowshoe 2XL popped up. I found an Italian store selling them, and bought a pair. My frame is still unbuilt, so I made this test:
- Mounted the SnowShoe 2XL on a Fatboy 15x150mm wheel I had lying around: rim is the 90 mm Fatboy. Tire is tubed.
- Botched up a 135QR-> 15mm adapter: pulled out the Hope Fatsno 15x150 mm hub spacers, fabbed up a fake through axle to put in the Moonlander fork.
Mounted the wheel on the fork and took these images:
Tread Synthetic rubber Symmetry Engineering Sculpture
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Yellow Rim
Metal Gas Circle Pipe Engineering

As you may see, horizontal clearance is around .4", while vertical is .75".
Quite narrow. The real problem is that, on my wheel, the tire ( NOT the rim!) has .6" of lateral runout. I don't know if it's a mounting problem, or the tire's carcass is somewhat warped. Of course, this makes the tire rub on the fork's crown while turning.
So, IMHO, there is no chance of putting one of those behemots in a Moonlander fork: even if you succeed into mounting the tire perfectly straight & true, any hit that displaces the carcass even so slightly would result into wheelrub. Moreover, i consider my test plagued by the fact that I mounted the tire tubed : tubeless expansion would surely worsen the situation.
Needless to say that back wheel situation could only be worse: I didn't had the chance to try and assemble an offset rear wheel to test it, nor will I, given the front wheel result.
So, I am currently considering switching to another frame.
What do you think?

#241 ·
ICT fork on my Crawler completely changed the handling of the bike (for the better!). The bike feels very stable at low speeds, whereas the old fork was too responsive. Also beware of the top tube!! It will be even higher now! Otherwise, excellent fork I have no regrets replacing my old fork! And it allows me to swap front wheels between my Blackborow and Crawler!

#255 ·
By the way. Tire clearance information on the Surly website says, that moonlander frame has more tire clearance than ICT frame. I want 5" fatbike, so I sold my Pugsley and start new one from buying a pair of 2XLs. Fortunately, at least two of my friends got moonlanders, and I will have the chance to test how the really big tire fits to frame. Because for now I see only two possible options - blackborow and custom titanium.

#295 ·
i wouldn't run out and grab one for the rear just yet. i think a standard qr may not have the clamping force to secure the rear axle. with the Lou i ran the tire all the way up front and now its 3/4 the way back. A bolt on hub would be the best setup.
A quality Shimano skewer is all that is needed, I would think. Not sure why a tire size would necessitate a certain type of skewer/axle. Worst case, just get some monkey nuts.