26 x 4.8 tough, knobby tire?- Mtbr.com
    Professional Crastinator

26 x 4.8 tough, knobby tire?

Like a Lou, but more puncture resistant to large pokey things, and maybe a harder compound.

I'm not looking for "go tubeless", I'm looking for "This tire never gets a hole in it."

I don't care much about rolling resistance, and weight is sorrrrta secondary - like a pedal-powered tractor or ATV.

I am thinking this tire is not made yet...

Thanks,
    -F

PS - I was actually considering a foam-lined/filled Lou.
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Have you tried a Lou?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Vee rubber snowshoe xl?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Have you tried a Lou?
    It gets my vote.

mtbr member
    If weight's not an issue, maybe a tire liner. since it's a fat bike, maybe a couple.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just curious why the aversion of tubeless? Simple to set up, flat resistent, and much lighter than any other options.

If you're serious about a tractor/ATV like tires, you also have to take into consideration of the rim itself. Can it support such burly tires? Can you mount them without bending the rims? (if you've seen how they mount ATV tires, you know regular MTB rims won't survive the procedure).

bigger than you.
    there's really no such thing and if there was, it would be prohibitively heavy. Tire liners have been tried recently by another guy who really didn't want to go tubeless and after a ride or two, even he conceded that tubeless was probably the right solution. It's really not that hard to do, and requires little maintenance apart from either changing or adding sealant every 4 months.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Have you tried a Lou?
    Just took off the Bud & Lou combo for some "3-season" Snowshoes. I like the traction and the footprint of the Lou, but they just feel "thin" (vulnerable) being that big and that supple. Plus I can see that any pavement use will render them 3-season as well in pretty short order.
    The Snowshoes feel tougher, but they give up a little size and grip.

There seem to be a lot of downed pine trees with those little spikey stubs sticking out them. I pay attention and avoid them, but I feel like they will go right through a Lou (or a Bud). Tubeless or not, the tire would likely sustain damage.

-F

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You haven't even ridden with the tires yet, and already feel they are too weak?

C'mon man...you can do better than that!!

I am not even going to talk about a buddies or my positive experience with bud and lou in da woodz...cuz karma.

turtles make me hot
    I've been running Bud and Lou for over a year tubeless in all conditions and have had zero flats, leaks or blowouts. It is a lot of rolling resistance but it's also endless traction.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Swapped out my Dillinger 5s for HuDus now trails are drying out - been running tubeless since January and only experienced one slow puncture that self-sealed. I also pulled a thorny-branch that had embedded myself in a tire mid-ride with a quick 'pfft'. Upon removal of the rear tire, I found three thorns than had penetrated the tyre by more than half-inch.
    Been running them as low as 4psi to get grip in really soft mud.
    Tougher tyres are heavier and would feel horrible - I don't see the point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Maybe 27tpi Nates? Not 4.8, but the difference in traction will be minimal.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    You haven't even ridden with the tires yet, and already feel they are too weak?

C'mon man...you can do better than that!!

I am not even going to talk about a buddies or my positive experience with bud and lou in da woodz...cuz karma.
    No - I rode with Bud & Lou 'til the snow melted - plowing through leaves, and timber. They worked fine. Maybe they are tougher than I think they are, but I will be on more pavement now riding from place to place so I'm saving them for snow. I still want the traction, though. I am guessing that, as I thought, this tire I seek has not yet been invented.

Maybe they'll come up with a carcass that you can just wrap a tread around for different seasons.

-F

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    My riding buddy runs his 9:ZERO:7 year round w/ bud and lou, and I am guessing he has a couple thousand miles on them. He rides a fair amount of roads, and is a pretty good sized dude.

Last I checked he should easily make it through this summer, maybe even the winter too.

Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    No - I rode with Bud & Lou 'til the snow melted - plowing through leaves, and timber. They worked fine. Maybe they are tougher than I think they are, but I will be on more pavement now riding from place to place so I'm saving them for snow. I still want the traction, though. I am guessing that, as I thought, this tire I seek has not yet been invented.

Maybe they'll come up with a carcass that you can just wrap a tread around for different seasons.

-F
    Get some of those tires that come on the dolomite or beast, They are stupid thick. You won't puncture them. Ever.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post

-F
    I acquired a set of Maxxis Minion 4.8 FBF/FBRs (temporarily) that I think fulfill the requirements of the OP. They are heavy, though. AND, my requirements have changed in the intervening time, so I am on 4.0's for the Summer, and slightly put off by the weight of the Minions. So, I got exactly what I asked for...and changed my mind anyway. But, they really are exactly what I asked for.

-F

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I've ridden over 1/8" diameter cactus and never noticed until it was time to change sealant. What's wrong with Lou tubeless?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Minion FBR tubeless is the only option if you want a burly tire with traction. We just finished a big loop through the middle east on these tires and we had zero issues: lots of sidewall scuffs and nicks, a few big acacia thorns, broken glass, etc....did not have any flats and didn't even have to add air once.
    Currently the toughest 'high technology' tire available....perhaps there are some shit cambodian tires that are simply so thick that they are tough by default, but for me Minion is THE non-snow go to tire.