Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 26 x 3" Knards

mtbr member
    I think these tyres may make the 29er obsolete, and the 650B a pointless diversion.

Or in the case of 650Bs, replace the 650B wheels with 26" with 3" Knards - if they fit.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    What about frames for these tyres? Here in the UK do On One, Cotic, Dialled Love/Hate or anyone else make a frame equivalent to the 1x1?

Brian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post
    What about frames for these tyres? Here in the UK do On One, Cotic, Dialled Love/Hate or anyone else make a frame equivalent to the 1x1?

Brian
    Good point. UK frames often had more clearance to allow for the plentiful quantities of mud that bikes pick up here.

Be worth measuring up some of the 26" frames with more generous clearances to see if the Knards or DW tyres would fit.

Maybe get a new lease of life out of that old frame at the back of the shed that you've couldn't bring yourself to sell off.

Edit: 2006 Voodoo Bokor doesn't fit.
    Last edited by Velobike; 05-16-2014 at 09:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Does anyone who has a knard still have a gazzaloddi?
    Any chance we could get an idea of how much narrower the knard might be on the same rim?
    My gazzi's knobs JUUUUST rub a little on my orange patriot, would be neat to know if the knard would give me the extra 2-3mm to prevent that.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

lpt1

Brian
    I have On-One Inbred 26-er and it can't handle Knards, even on any thin rim.
    However it is compatible with 2.5 Hookworms on 65mm rims.

lpt1
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    Does anyone who has a knard still have a gazzaloddi?
    Any chance we could get an idea of how much narrower the knard might be on the same rim?
    My gazzi's knobs JUUUUST rub a little on my orange patriot, would be neat to know if the knard would give me the extra 2-3mm to prevent that.
    Have used Gazzaloddis before. Knards are wider then Gazzas at the knobs, and equals on the sidewalls.
    Rim outer width: 65mm
    Knob Shoulder Width: 68mm for Gazzaloddi, 77mm for Knard
    Max Casing Width: 78mm for Gazzaloddi and Knard

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    well crap. maybe I can't run them on the orange.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Velobike, did the Surly guys take photos of your bike at SS event recently? Looks like Salsa have a prototype F**luk on the go, cross between a Fargo and a Mukluk

Salsa Cycles

this Dirt Wizard thread has some good info too
    http://forums.mtbr.com/surly/dirt-wi...l#post11198527

Brian
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 05-16-2014 at 12:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Velobike, did the Surly guys take photos of your bike at SS event recently? Looks like Salsa have a prototype F**luk on the go, cross between a Fargo and a Mukluk...
    I did beat their ears at length at both the Forth Fat and SSEC. However there may have been some incoherence involved. It would be nice to think that had some effect, but that bike would have needed a much longer lead time than that.

Put it down to serendipity - which would be a nice name for it. A nice high headtube is a blessing for those of us who are not racing whippets, and the control you get from dropbars are great for lumpy downhills when you have rigid forks.

mtbr member
    May 2010

26 x 3" Knards

Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    A nice high headtube is a blessing for those of us who are not racing whippets
    +1x10^6

www.fattiremn.blogspot.com

...big and slow
    Any updates on this? Curious how 26 x 3.0 Knards work on any fatbike...
    Chromey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromehorn View Post
    Any updates on this? Curious how 26 x 3.0 Knards work on any fatbike...
    I can tell you that 26 x 2.75" Dirt Wizards have a magic wand that transforms my 1x1 into something better than my bling 29er....

Going to order the 3" Knards as soon as I see a set as actually being available for the wee bit extra for the 1x1, but may try them on the fatbike.
    Last edited by Velobike; 06-01-2014 at 02:23 AM.

...big and slow
    I would really be interested in seeing pics of and hearing about some first hand experiences of these on a fatbike. I don't know enough about a 1x1 to know how it would compare to a fatbike Velo, but it sounds as though you are equally curious if these tires will have a similar impact on your fatbike.

Based on some of the pics in this thread, it looks like on Marge Lites, the diameter of 26 x 3.0 Knards might be roughly an inch less than a set of Larrys on Marge Lites. Depending on the trail, I guess that might not be a big issue. My only concern is that right now on my fatbike I get some occasional pedal strikes and these tires would obviously make them a more common occurrence. Any of you think that we will ever see 26 x 3.5-3.8 tires with a any kind of knobby tread on them get down to 1000 grams?
    Chromey

mtbr member
    I would really be interested in seeing pics of and hearing about some first hand experiences of these on a fatbike. I don't know enough about a 1x1 to know how it would compare to a fatbike Velo, but it sounds as though you are equally curious if these tires will have a similar impact on your fatbike.

Based on some of the pics in this thread, it looks like on Marge Lites, the diameter of 26 x 3.0 Knards might be roughly an inch less than a set of Larrys on Marge Lites. Depending on the trail, I guess that might not be a big issue. My only concern is that right now on my fatbike I get some occasional pedal strikes and these tires would obviously make them a more common occurrence. Any of you think that we will ever see 26 x 3.5-3.8 tires with a any kind of knobby tread on them get down to 1000 grams?
    I don't see 26x3" Knards on Surly's website, so I'm not holding my breath.

mtbr member
    May 2010

26 x 3" Knards

I don't see 26x3" Knards on Surly's website, so I'm not holding my breath.
    Interesting that they aren't up on the site yet. They've been available for a few weeks now. I've got a 26x3 Knard and an old school Large Marge on the front of my 1x1 right now.

A buddy of mine has a pair of 26x3 Knards on Marge Lites on his Pug, and says it rips... great summer set-up by the sounds of it.

According to the doc below, the radius of the 3.0 Knard should be roughly 7mm less than a 3.8 Knard:

http://surlybikes.com//uploads/downl...Geometries.pdf

...big and slow
    Unless I'm reading that chart wrong, I'm not seeing that difference in size. Also noticed they call the 26+ Knards and no specs for them on a 65mm rim. Still, it looks like maybe a 1.5 cm difference from the 3.8 knard. This is getting interesting...
    Chromey

mtbr member
    May 2010

26 x 3" Knards

Unless I'm reading that chart wrong, I'm not seeing that difference in size. Also noticed they call the 26+ Knards and no specs for them on a 65mm rim. Still, it looks like maybe a 1.5 cm difference from the 3.8 knard. This is getting interesting...
    1.4cm difference in diameter means 7mm difference in radius. ;-)

...big and slow
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMN View Post
    1.4cm difference in diameter means 7mm difference in radius. ;-)

- Fat Tire MN -
    Doh! Should have paid more attention to your post. Radius / diameter, blah blah blah...

Thanks for setting me straight.
    Chromey

lpt1
    My 26x3.0 knards has 710mm diameter on 65mm rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMN View Post
    Interesting that they aren't up on the site yet. They've been available for a few weeks now. I've got a 26x3 Knard and an old school Large Marge on the front of my 1x1 right now....
    Thanks.

Good to hear that they are not like unicorn horn powder and actually exist.

I'll go in and harass my lbs for a set.

My 1x1 is ancient (1998) and I thought its days were over after experiencing the joys of first 29ers and then fatbikes. Basically fatbikes have put me off riding around on what seems like horribly skinny tyres even on my 29er. The DWs have transformed the bike, and hopefully the Knards will be even better.

Many of the fatbikers I know have had a 1x1, and often still have the frame hanging around. I think rather than buy a 29er+ or even get a wheelset for your fatbike, the trick is to go 26+. It's an amazing transformation, and old 1x1s are cheap enough to buy. The 1x1 becomes a great summer bike with the fatter tyres.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Just threw a pair on my Duallys for my troll. Cleared fine and seem to be fast rolling and cushy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26 x 3" Knards-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nate.2346 View Post
    Just threw a pair on my Duallys for my troll. Cleared fine and seem to be fast rolling and cushy.
    Nice looking drops... What are they?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Salsa Woodchippers

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Going to order the 3" Knards as soon as I see a set as actually being available for the wee bit extra for the 1x1, but may try them on the fatbike.
    Did you try the Knards on your 1x1?

I am thinking of getting one of the new pepto colored 1x1 framesets and building it with the NoTubes Hugo 52 wheelset and Knard 26x3 tires.

Will that wheel/tire combo work on the 1x1. I am a little concerned because the Surly website lists 26x2.75 as the max tire size.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdwhitey View Post
    Did you try the Knards on your 1x1?

Will that wheel/tire combo work on the 1x1. I am a little concerned because the Surly website lists 26x2.75 as the max tire size.
    Haven't seen a set available in the UK yet, so I haven't tried them unfortunately.

When it comes to fitting wider tyres, I believe there's a bit more clearance on the earlier 1x1s. Maybe someone can confirm/negate this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I also read that you need the earlier frame to fit 3" tyres.

lpt1
    I have used 26x3 Knards with 65mm rims on old-style 1x1, they works very good with 3mm clearance from chainstays.
    Really bad thing about Knards is that sidewalls have worn out very fast at the contacting with rim area. After one and half month and less then thousand miles they have become absolutely unusable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpt1 View Post
    I have used 26x3 Knards with 65mm rims on old-style 1x1, they works very good with 3mm clearance from chainstays.
    Really bad thing about Knards is that sidewalls have worn out very fast at the contacting with rim area. After one and half month and less then thousand miles they have become absolutely unusable.
    Interesting. What pressures were you running?

Warranty?

lpt1
    Interesting. What pressures were you running?

Warranty?
    I sent a letter to Eric (SmartBikeParts, where I bought the Knards) with all the details and photos. Hope he can help me with Surly warranty.
    Pressures range from 15 to 25 psi. I have not had to experience ultra-soft conditions during so short period.

mtbr member
    I sent a letter to Eric (SmartBikeParts, where I bought the Knards) with all the details and photos. Hope he can help me with Surly warranty.
    Pressures range from 15 to 25 psi. I have not had to experience ultra-soft conditions during so short period.
    Thanks. Good to know that.

Might wait for the Mk2 version

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Anyone fit these into a Soma B-Side (650b) frame? I would like to run a lightish steel frame with 26x3" tires, and the Soma looks nicer than a 1x1 for my needs. So far, no one has been able to tell me if a knard fits. Dirt wizards definitely do fit.

offroute.ca

mtbr member
    You dont need the older 1x1 frame to fit theses tires. These are 3.0 Knards on 65mm Marge Lites (medium frame)...

26 x 3" Knards-imag0082.jpg26 x 3" Knards-imag0085.jpg26 x 3" Knards-clipboard01.jpg26 x 3" Knards-imag0084_1.jpg26 x 3" Knards-imag0089.jpg
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by L4NE4 View Post
    You dont need the older 1x1 frame to fit theses tires. These are 3.0 Knards on 65mm Marge Lites (medium frame)...
    I'm experiencing occasional rubbage on the seat stays, with the same setup. Rim is not far off true, tire bead is set. Probably the slight imperfections here and there. Running about 15-20psi.

iphilrive
    Quote Originally Posted by L4NE4 View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0082.jpg 
Views:	2926 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	922701Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0085.jpg 
Views:	1002 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	922698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	922699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0084_1.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	922700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0089.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	922702
    you trim any of the side knards off? i have a dually knard combo on a 2014 surly 1x1 and i'm getting rubbing because the tire isn't round!
    instagram: _skinnytwig
    hi paul.

lpt1
    Next part of the story. Big Thanks to Eric from smartbikeparts, he sent me new pair of knards as a warranty replacement. Here is my request: Egor Ivanov Warranty Request
    I have waited for the winter before putting them on the bike. Started from mid december, have weared rear tire after 500 mi. Problem is the same: continous wear (around all the wheel) at sidewalls near the bead, where tire contacts with rim edge.
    My conclusion: the tires is not usable at all, at least in "120 tpi" version. I would be happy to see some more reliable version of 26x3 knards.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Bigger isn't always better
    Same argument applies to 29 vs 650 etc.....

which is how I wound up here! I am (was, I have no idea now) looking for a single speed 650b. The geared 29er hardtail just isn't fun. Bigger wasn't better.

SO I thought I wanted the Gravity 650b ss over the Nashbar bees knees. I now see a Gravity 2015 Deadeye 26x3 (they say it fits up to 3.5").

Most of my bicycle riding is road as far as roads go, I'll stay with my 700x28's all winter. maybe a 700x37 Continental Top Contact Winter II.

this singlespeed 650b thing is just suppose to be a cheap, fun, low maintenance year round riding. I have always wanted a fat bike. But not sure.

Could it get any better than having 1 bike that will take a 26x3, or slapping on a wheel set with Racing Ralph 27.5's mounted up? Or do I just throw on DW's and call it good, and ride it year round?

regardless $300 shipped plus what ever Knards or Dirt wizards will cost.... Not to shabby investment for Fun!

the real question is do I want....
    27.5 x 2.2
    or 26x 2.4 - 3"

How big of a difference will a Knard 3" or DW 2.75" make on snow? Is the cush that make more fun for dirt riding?
    Last edited by Cyclinglymie; 05-09-2015 at 03:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Anyone know how these tires fit on the original Rat Ride on 44mm Snowcat rims?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    So what is the real difference between Knard and Dirt Wizard?

Besides the Tapered lugs vs Squared knobs, and being 1/4" wider for the Knard 26x3.

I know the DW comes in a 27tpi, which I believe equates to being able to run lower PSI? Not sure If I like the flat tire feel though from my experience on a 29er 2.1. I think I run 20-30psi. I might have ran less psi in winter. So maybe that is advantage of 27 tpi?
    Then again, everything a bike with these 26x3 tires would ride, I've ridden on 700x28's slicks including in snow. the 29er was fun until the snow froze. Or until I had tracks from previous day that I'd fall into and which made it impossible to ride for a week.

Can I expect the same with a 3" tire ?? If so then maybe I want the DW, or even less. If I go with the $300 Gravity deadeye SS. It has 50mm holed wheels.
    I am Ohio its not like we get much snow. Off road snow riding is very limited also.

so along with mindset of bigger is not always better... Do I really want the Knards?

mtbr member
    About the Knards 3.0 on Rolling Darryls, here is the answer direct from The Official Intergalactic Surly Regional HQ :
    "Yes, you can run the Knard tire on the Rolling Darryl rims, and it will fit safely. It will flatten the tire out a bit more than intended, so the handling may be a little different than you’re used to, but it will work."

So... yes, it works but I pinched on a rock garden on my first ride. On smooth single tracks, it's Ok.

mtbr member
    Got me some today and went for a ride. Just right for these dry sandy roads!

2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer (27.5+ Alfine 8 spd)

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Tunalic, looks like you can fit 3.8's or better. Curious as to why 3 over 3.8 ?

Oh and I buzzed through the rest of your pictures. Loved the turtle!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclinglymie View Post
    Tunalic, looks like you can fit 3.8's or better. Curious as to why 3 over 3.8 ?

Oh and I buzzed through the rest of your pictures. Loved the turtle!
    I've fitted Floaters, Vee 8s, and Black Floyds. Thought of getting a 29er wheel set but got these light weights instead (on Origin 8 60mm rims). I believe they are less than 900g. It's right at 29lbs...not too bad it being a steel frame, fork and a Brooks saddle.

I can't remember the last time I came across a Gopher Tortoise this big.

2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer (27.5+ Alfine 8 spd)

lpt1
    My conclusion: the tires is not usable at all, at least in "120 tpi" version. I would be happy to see some more reliable version of 26x3 knards.
    UPD: Problem fixed.
    Had some success with 10mm-width rubber strips (cutted from old tube), glued to weared areas on the two front tires that has less damage then rears.
    These strips can be seen on photo:
    https://goo.gl/photos/qMZanGgagUNucaXz7

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12