24" fatty, thoughts?- Mtbr.com
    aka bOb

24" fatty, thoughts?

I want a 24" wheel fat bike with 4.6" rubber and I want it now!! Like I said in a different thread maybe I'm drinking from a different cup but just wondering if anyone has been thinking the same? Short, long, and slack just makes sense in my book, a true 27.5 fatty. Screw roll over I'm for fly over Thoughts??

https://www.facebook.com/cakebikes/

CAKE

mtbr member
    I've been working on the idea for a while now...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/let...de-988462.html

I just wish the Cake framesets weren't so expensive! No doubt it's a quality product, but I don't have that kind of free cash flying around just yet. Until then, the Mini-sota continues to serve.

Also wish the website had a little more info. What options are available? What do the different sizes of frames look like? What exactly does the Adventure model come with? Etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas
    Pedal-powered tractor!

aka bOb
    I was thinking they where a little pricey as well especially that I have never heard of them before this. Maybe Walt can whip something up?

mtbr member
    It's all set up by the guy behind Peacock Groove, Erik Noren, which means he's trying to scale up his custom operation and I'm sure the costs are hard to cut down. Who is Walt?
    Pedal-powered tractor!

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
    It's all set up by the guy behind Peacock Groove, Erik Noren, which means he's trying to scale up his custom operation and I'm sure the costs are hard to cut down. Who is Walt?
    Ah ok, Walt still pricey.
    Bikes, recipes and ranting

mtbr member
    Well, that's pretty cool. But only $50 less?

I don't know. On one hand, it would be really awesome to get a bike tailored to my specs and painted my color, but on the other, we might be seeing mass-production steel 24" frames soon for something more like $600-700.

I'd love to support the "little guy", but that's an expensive game just yet! (Maybe Cake will lower prices in the future?)
    Pedal-powered tractor!

mtbr member
    I like this concept too - but agree - it's spendy - like boutique bike spendy for something that doesn't have many tire choices, or rim choices.

Maybe that will change over time?

Flappity flappity flap
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I want a 24" wheel fat bike with 4.6" rubber and I want it now!!
    Why not 5.6"?

mtbr member
    ^^^ baby steps!

Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    I like this concept too - but agree - it's spendy - like boutique bike spendy for something that doesn't have many tire choices, or rim choices.

Maybe that will change over time?
    I don't want to dominate the thread, but at this point you can get aluminum AND carbon tubeless rims, drilled 32 or 36. Different widths would be good, but the only true limitation seems to be tires. Ground Controls are great, but I would love to see Surly adapt some of their designs to the 507.
    Pedal-powered tractor!

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    Why not 5.6"?
    Why not 6.5" ? Really dreaming of a more for a playful bike that's not weighed down excess tires size or excess height.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have a 24 x 4" fat muni, I run a Framed Minisota tire (the tire sucks btw), it's a nice size, lighter and much easy to throw around than a 26 x 4".

There are few fat 24" tires choices, probably the best tire is the GC, which is what I'll get next.

Rims are not the issue, you need tires, and each tire mold is tens of thousands of dollars, so you gotta sell a bunch of tires to make it profitable.

Walt and an MTBR guy from NC got together and had Vee Rubber custom make a tire for 36" mtb. I rode a couple of them for muni, including a prototype.

If you really wanted a god 24" tire, you could make that sort of an investment, but I'd talk with Walt first, he might steer you elsewhere.

EDIT: Cool linky to Cake bikes, that is some sweet work he's doing, I could see a 24" fatty for big people, maybe tone it down to a 24+ and make the tires bomber. I think when we're talking 24" fat, it's not a snow bike per se, but a fun bike that allows you to moto around like a big kid on a supped up BMX bike. In that way 24" makes sense cuz that's the size used for trials riding and BMX Cruiser class.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I like the On-One baby fat video. Makes me want one every time I watch it. Too bad I am WAY too big for the frame.

Flappity flappity flap
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Why not 6.5" ? Really dreaming of a more for a playful bike that's not weighed down excess tires size or excess height.
    Well, since we're demanding the impossible, why not both? NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    I like the On-One baby fat video. Makes me want one every time I watch it. Too bad I am WAY too big for the frame.
    Uh huh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I have a 24 x 4" fat muni, I run a Framed Minisota tire (the tire sucks btw), it's a nice size, lighter and much easy to throw around than a 26 x 4".

There are few fat 24" tires choices, probably the best tire is the GC, which is what I'll get next.

Rims are not the issue, you need tires, and each tire mold is tens of thousands of dollars, so you gotta sell a bunch of tires to make it profitable.

Walt and an MTBR guy from NC got together and had Vee Rubber custom make a tire for 36" mtb. I rode a couple of them for muni, including a prototype.

If you really wanted a god 24" tire, you could make that sort of an investment, but I'd talk with Walt first, he might steer you elsewhere.

EDIT: Cool linky to Cake bikes, that is some sweet work he's doing, I could see a 24" fatty for big people, maybe tone it down to a 24+ and make the tires bomber. I think when we're talking 24" fat, it's not a snow bike per se, but a fun bike that allows you to moto around like a big kid on a supped up BMX bike. In that way 24" makes sense cuz that's the size used for trials riding and BMX Cruiser class.
    Interesting thoughts on the tire production. I for sure don't have twenty grand lying around, and if I did I wouldn't have student loans lying around either! I'm going to root for the 24" options and keep promoting it. My LBS says they've sold a lot more of them, considering they don't stock any. That's good news.

As far as 24x3", I don't know. It could be really cool, but then again, 24x4" is about 26-3/4" tall already. It's basically a 559 rigid bike, so a 3" tire height might be pretty comparable to a skinny BSO tire. I see fat24 becoming big mostly for shorter riders like me on rigid fatties, and for medium stature riders who want fat and suspension that actually fits.

I just went for a ride along the river today, and 24x4" definitely IS a snow bike. For me, at least. I took it past its limits regularly on a side slope and it really crawls. Like, first gear on the Rohloff, popping the front tire off the ground in the snow.

This was the easy part.

I would rock the hell out of a 5" tire. Can you imagine a scaled down Brrrrly (elevated stays) built for IGH, with 24x5, 120tpi rubber?! JIMP. So amazing. If I won the lottery, I'd totally have it made, tires and all.
    Pedal-powered tractor!

Sup
    If you could use a 24 inch wheel with 380mm chainstays like a dirt jump bike that should be playful bOb
    I am slow therefore I am