24 Fat on sand- Mtbr.com

Thread: 24 Fat on sand

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

24 Fat on sand

How well would a 24 Fat handle a bikepacking trip on sand? Is there any reason a 24x4 wouldn't handle sandy terrain?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (single speed "gravel" bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I think it depends on the rider to a certain point but while 24x4 is a lot better than regular widths its not as good as a 26 fat.

We have a trail here on a river flood plain that has a pretty soft sand section, when my son (11-12 at the time) would ride it he would struggle some if he didn't keep his speed up on his 24 fat.

Now that he has moved up to a 26 fat after turning 13 he's not having anywhere near as much problems.

Now how much of that is the bike, and how much of that is him just getting older and a better rider?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilSmrk View Post
    I think it depends on the rider to a certain point but while 24x4 is a lot better than regular widths its not as good as a 26 fat.

We have a trail here on a river flood plain that has a pretty soft sand section, when my son (11-12 at the time) would ride it he would struggle some if he didn't keep his speed up on his 24 fat.

Now that he has moved up to a 26 fat after turning 13 he's not having anywhere near as much problems.

Now how much of that is the bike, and how much of that is him just getting older and a better rider?
    Alright. I have thought about finding an Instigator 2.0 and building a set 24x4 wheels since I doubt I'd use fats that often but the option would be nice.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (single speed "gravel" bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)