2020 45NRTH Vanhelga: anyone try it?- Mtbr.com
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

2020 45NRTH Vanhelga: anyone try it?

I see that the Vanhelga has gotten some changes for 2020. These are the ones I am currently seeing for sale. There is a slight modification of the tread (mostly in the sideknobs) and the size for the 26" version has gone from 4.0 to 4.2 I am going to assume the weight would increase? Also, I think the price has come down from ~$150 last year to ~$115 this year (I may be remembering the 2019 prices wrong).

For the past year I've been researching what to replace my 27tpi Nates with this fall, and after reading volumes of reviews and comparisons, I decided on the 120tpi Vanhelgas. But now that I am ready to order them, they have changed.

I have been riding the 27tpi Nates that came stock on my Wednesday. I use the bike almost exclusively for off-season riding: from the time the trails start getting mucky and leaf-choked in the fall, through the snow in the winter, and into the spring until things dry up enough to start riding my 140mm FS bike with 2.4s. The tread on the Nates have been good for this, but the 27tpi version is heavy, slow, and not TR.

The two tires on my short list were the 120tpi Nates (tubeless ready) or the 120tpi Vanhelgas. I decided on the Vanhelgas becuase direct comparisons tend to give them the edge in rolling resistance without giving up grip. Also, I just want to try something different.

So, any word on the 2020 Vanhelgas?
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    no, but i want to. the old VH is my favorite tire EVAR, so it looks like only the edge knobs have changed. I will prob give it a shot in the spring.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

Rippin da fAt
    One change that would make it better for snow (not to be confused with a dusting) would be a way softer, more supple sidewall so they can flex or squish more readily. Air is the proper method of adjustment of said squish.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    One change that would make it better for snow would be a way softer, more supple sidewall so they can flex or squish more readily.
    huh? i have both the 120 tp and 60 tpi VH, and they have great sidewalls...
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Since you have used both, is there any reason I should consider the 60tpi over the 120tpi, other than cost (and the fact that the tan ones look pretty cool)?

mtbr member
    The tan sidewall in the 60tpi is supposed to have a more supple feel compared to the same 60tpi black sidewall. Should feel closer to the 120tpi black sidewall.
    Silly bike things happening.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlands R&C View Post
    The tan sidewall in the 60tpi is supposed to have a more supple feel compared to the same 60tpi black sidewall. Should feel closer to the 120tpi black sidewall.
    yeah, "supposedly". the jury is still out on that one...

i have a tendency of cutting rear sidewalls. so, i run a 120 tpi up front and a 60 tpi in the rear. having a more robust rear tire is worth the marginal weight penalty. YMMV.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    They feel stiff and way too starched compared to my liteskin and Bud/Lou. Those have very soft, supple casings where my pair o' VH's feel like a Vee tire by comparison.

My VH's are 120 V1's
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    They feel stiff and way too starched compared to my liteskin and Bud/Lou. Those have very soft, supple casings where my pair o' VH's feel like a Vee tire by comparison.

My VH's are 120 V1's
    ah, liteskin or even snakeskin around here means you are putting in a tube within a few minutes of riding...
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    FYI, I emailed them on the weight of the new tires as compared to the old 26x4.0 and here's what they said.

"The older 26 x 4.0" 120 TPI weighed 1250g. The newer and larger 26 x 4.2" 120 TPI black wall Van Helga weighs 1450g and the 26 x 4.2" 60 TPI tan wall weighs 1575g"

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
    FYI, I emailed them on the weight of the new tires as compared to the old 26x4.0 and here's what they said.

"The older 26 x 4.0" 120 TPI weighed 1250g. The newer and larger 26 x 4.2" 120 TPI black wall Van Helga weighs 1450g and the 26 x 4.2" 60 TPI tan wall weighs 1575g"
    Huh. Thatís kind of a bummer. I was fine with the size of my Nates, and I understand the old VH were about the same width.