Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    248

    2018 Farley 7 with GX Eagle 12spd and studded Gnarwhals

    Got my new bike home today. It's like every other 2018 Farley 7 except for the GX Eagle 12 speed drivetrain and the 218 studs per tire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Farley 7 with GX Eagle 12spd and studded Gnarwhals-20171022_153258.jpg  

    2018 Farley 7 with GX Eagle 12spd and studded Gnarwhals-screenshot_2017-10-22-16-36-13.jpg  

    2018 Farley 7 with GX Eagle 12spd and studded Gnarwhals-20171022_153422.jpg  

    2018 Farley 7 with GX Eagle 12spd and studded Gnarwhals-20171022_153329.jpg  

    Last edited by headwind; 10-22-2017 at 08:23 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    355
    Are those 27.5 Fat?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    Are those 27.5 Fat?
    27.5 x 4.5

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mikeetheviking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    269
    Very Nice

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Engineer90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    550
    This is the 15.5" frame right? I've been looking at the geo and components, looks real good! Monster 27.5x4.5! Enjoy bro
    2015 Specialized Rockhopper
    2015 Giant Stance FS (wife's bike)
    2016 Framed Alaskan Alloy

  6. #6
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,286
    Quote Originally Posted by headwind View Post
    Got my new bike home today. It's like every other 2018 Farley 7 except for the GX Eagle 12 speed drivetrain and the 218 studs per tire.

    That's a great all-around setup.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
    This is the 15.5" frame right? I've been looking at the geo and components, looks real good! Monster 27.5x4.5! Enjoy bro
    Nope. This is a 17.5. The wheels make it look smaller in the pics.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Engineer90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by headwind View Post
    Nope. This is a 17.5. The wheels make it look smaller in the pics.
    Wow is that how big they are? I am eyeing the 15.5" and get rid of my 29er.

    How do the 27.5x4.5 do uphill with the GX Eagle?
    2015 Specialized Rockhopper
    2015 Giant Stance FS (wife's bike)
    2016 Framed Alaskan Alloy

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Engineer90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    550
    OP, before I forget, are those Gnarwals studded from factory?
    2015 Specialized Rockhopper
    2015 Giant Stance FS (wife's bike)
    2016 Framed Alaskan Alloy

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
    OP, before I forget, are those Gnarwals studded from factory?
    I bought the Bontrager tool and Bontrager studs from the lbs. It was time consuming and I am glad I did this before riding the bike as the tires have the stud holes from the factory.
    I just got my pedals so I will post how this low gear rides. The 50t is huge. All the other gears are the same as before except for the giant bailout cog. And I guess GX are a notch above the NX. I like the sealed bearings in the RD.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    355
    What tires/rim combo are you going to run before the snow flies?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    What tires/rim combo are you going to run before the snow flies?
    The snow is starting to fall! A few flakes anyways. We will have snow very soon though.
    I would run the Barbegazi for the summer. But that will have to wait.
    And to answer the size question above, these tires are the same height as my 26 inch 5.05 2XL's.

  13. #13
    In dog years, I'm dead.
    Reputation: burtronix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,041
    I didn't realize the Farley could run 4.5 width.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Engineer90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    550
    Let us know how your first ride goes. Seriously eyeing this bike The fat bike kool-aid just gets stronger every time I ride. I don't even ride my dedicated 29er anymore... might just sell it
    2015 Specialized Rockhopper
    2015 Giant Stance FS (wife's bike)
    2016 Framed Alaskan Alloy

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swerny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,911
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix View Post
    I didn't realize the Farley could run 4.5 width.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    it comes stock with 4.5 width, on all models for 2018 and on some models in 2017
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    Giant Trance Advanced 1
    Trek Farley 9.6 + Lauf
    Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    Scott Solace 10 Disc

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,283
    What did you do for a hub? Just a xd driver or go to all new better hub
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  17. #17
    In dog years, I'm dead.
    Reputation: burtronix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    it comes stock with 4.5 width, on all models for 2018 and on some models in 2017
    Trek website still lists 3.8 for 2018 models. Oops, I see that is the EX models with FS. HT models are 4.5. Thanks.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    What did you do for a hub? Just a xd driver or go to all new better hub
    I ordered an XD driver from the bike shop and it works with the hub already on the bike. I never had any troubles with the hub on my 2016 Farley 7 so I am going to run it until I have trouble. Either way I would need the driver as the shimano style will not work with the GX cassette.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer90 View Post
    Let us know how your first ride goes. Seriously eyeing this bike The fat bike kool-aid just gets stronger every time I ride. I don't even ride my dedicated 29er anymore... might just sell it
    Took it out last night to a creek with some steep banks that I usually ride in the winter. It climbs great and I can't see any situation where I would run out of gearing. Maybe super steep sand would stop me but that 50t is really something. It's crazy low with the 28t crank.
    With the Manitou fork and this low gearing the bike is no longer going to be a dedicated winter machine like my last Farley was. I can see riding some trails in the summer. It has a decent fork and low gearing for these tall tires. Now I will need a set of summer tires.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Engineer90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by headwind View Post
    Took it out last night to a creek with some steep banks that I usually ride in the winter. It climbs great and I can't see any situation where I would run out of gearing. Maybe super steep sand would stop me but that 50t is really something. It's crazy low with the 28t crank.
    With the Manitou fork and this low gearing the bike is no longer going to be a dedicated winter machine like my last Farley was. I can see riding some trails in the summer. It has a decent fork and low gearing for these tall tires. Now I will need a set of summer tires.
    Nice! 50t and 28t plus the diameter of the 27.5x4.5 would make it a hell of a lot easier to climb. I do 36t back and 32t chainring, I do pretty good on my fattie going up steep stuff.

    Even in the summer, I used my fattie about 85% of the time.
    2015 Specialized Rockhopper
    2015 Giant Stance FS (wife's bike)
    2016 Framed Alaskan Alloy

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    79
    Can these rims take 3.8 ?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,283
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    Can these rims take 3.8 ?
    Yup. Lots of companies running 3.8 on 80mm rims


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    79
    So I can run Hodags on a Farley 7 no rim / wheel change ?

  24. #24
    fat guy on a little bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    519
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    So I can run Hodags on a Farley 7 no rim / wheel change ?
    correct.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    383
    Great combo. I have it on 16 Farley 7. Studded Ghar’s do well in Northeast icy crud. Enjoy!

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CanuckMountainMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    4
    I am SO doing those mods too!
    No snow in Alberta yet, but its going to be soon!

    I just brought home a 19.5" Farley 7,
    a very slightly used Demo for -$1200 off regular price

    Love the Big 27.5x4.5 Gnarwhals and the Mastodon Fork.
    My first add-on was a Bontrager 125mm Dropper post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Farley 7 with GX Eagle 12spd and studded Gnarwhals-farley_fatty_2.jpg  

    2018 Farley 7 with GX Eagle 12spd and studded Gnarwhals-farley_fatty_1.jpg  


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 101
    Last Post: 12-26-2017, 01:39 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-06-2017, 08:39 AM
  3. 2014 Farley 2015 Farley 6 Fork Recall
    By josh8 in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-13-2017, 11:13 AM
  4. 2015 Farley 6 or 2016 Farley 5?
    By jgdblue in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-24-2015, 04:41 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-04-2014, 11:31 PM

Members who have read this thread: 56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.