2017 farley 7 brake issues- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2017

2017 farley 7 brake issues

Hello. Im not sure if its an issue or normal but i hav a 2017 farley 7. Original brakes. I upsized the rotors 203f and 180r. Love it. Stops ona dime but while braking theres a popping vibration noise coming from them. Rotors clean pads are clean. Stops like i hit a brick wall. But makes the noise and vibrates. Idk if its the spokes churpn or what. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodi7537 View Post
    Hello. Im not sure if its an issue or normal but i hav a 2017 farley 7. Original brakes. I upsized the rotors 203f and 180r. Love it. Stops ona dime but while braking theres a popping vibration noise coming from them. Rotors clean pads are clean. Stops like i hit a brick wall. But makes the noise and vibrates. Idk if its the spokes churpn or what. Any help is appreciated. Thank you
    What kind of rotors did you buy?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

turtles make me hot
    Are there reflectors on the wheels?
    I like turtles

since 4/10/2009
    also possible rotors are too big (particularly the front). Could be that all that force is causing the fork to flex/vibrate. My quick search couldn't turn up a max rotor size.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    also possible rotors are too big (particularly the front). Could be that all that force is causing the fork to flex/vibrate. My quick search couldn't turn up a max rotor size.
    I stoped at the trek dealer and talked with the techs. They narrowed it down to the "holes" in the rotor. Its the pads and rotor contacting when it passes a sertain part of the rotor. So thay parts taken Care of haha. Whats a ok hydro brake for fattys to upgrade to? Right now i hav sram level TL. Their ok but im having a little flaw i cant get outa the front brake. Stoping powers good but it hands up a little. Ill brake. Let go and it drags and the lever doesnt fully return.

turtles make me hot
    I use Shimano SLX on just about everything. Works like a charm without breaking the bank.
    I like turtles

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    You may want to call trek though, I dont believe those forks are rated for 203mm rotors. Most rigid carbon fiber forks arent. 180mm only. And oversizing can be a bad thing especially when the bike has a posted weight limit.

As for what brakes, shimano. SLX are awesome. Im 285 lbs and no need for bigger than 180mm front 160mm rear on my fat or plus bike.

Sram is having all kinds of problems with their brake levers. Still cant touch shimano for reliability.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodi7537 View Post
    I stoped at the trek dealer and talked with the techs. They narrowed it down to the "holes" in the rotor. Its the pads and rotor contacting when it passes a sertain part of the rotor. So thay parts taken Care of haha. Whats a ok hydro brake for fattys to upgrade to? Right now i hav sram level TL. Their ok but im having a little flaw i cant get outa the front brake. Stoping powers good but it hands up a little. Ill brake. Let go and it drags and the lever doesnt fully return.
    what? I don't even know what you just said here. I'll just respond in generalities...

SRAM brakes more or less just suck. My wife's bike came with Guide RS brakes, which are at least better than the Level series. But still suffer from plenty of problems. At the first sign of trouble, they're getting replaced.

I am on Shimano M9000 XTR brakes w/203F and 180R rotors. But then again, I'm on a bike with a fork rated for those brakes. And I use them. Did a ride today w/ 13.8mi and 1900ft of climbing. Unfamiliar with the trails, so I was on the brakes a bit more, too.

Hard to go wrong with any of Shimano's brakes. They're doing it right and for budget brakes, better than anybody else.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I think he was trying to say "warped rotor". Thats my translation lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.