2017 Farley 7- Mtbr.com

Thread: 2017 Farley 7

mtbr member

2017 Farley 7

Pulled the trigger on a new Farley 7 last night! Should be here in a couple weeks or less. It's matte black w/gloss black decals. Will post pics when she arrives. 9.6 was luring me but the 7 won out. Can't wait, like a kid at Christmas!! Anyone used the Bontrager TLR accessory kit for tubeless setup? Just wondering about how it compared to stans/orange ect. Am looking to drop a few pounds from the bike, not crazy weight loss but some. My Amarok XLT weighs 41ish so have already lost 10lbs. Also thinking about an extra set of heels w/3.8 Hodags for summer. Like the idea of smaller for the dry. May even go with 27.5+ not sure yet. Guess I will just ride it for now!
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy316 View Post
    Pulled the trigger on a new Farley 7 last night! Should be here in a couple weeks or less. It's matte black w/gloss black decals. Will post pics when she arrives. 9.6 was luring me but the 7 won out. Can't wait, like a kid at Christmas!! Anyone used the Bontrager TLR accessory kit for tubeless setup? Just wondering about how it compared to stans/orange ect. Am looking to drop a few pounds from the bike, not crazy weight loss but some. My Amarok XLT weighs 41ish so have already lost 10lbs. Also thinking about an extra set of heels w/3.8 Hodags for summer. Like the idea of smaller for the dry. May even go with 27.5+ not sure yet. Guess I will just ride it for now!
    Nice.

I've only used Trek's stems to convert the fat bike wheels. Their inside part is a bit flat compared to more conical seals I've had or seen with other kids. Some other blue tape in a ship didn't look any different than Bontrager's tape and I used it.

Sorry, no experience with Orange seal but I've used Stans and Bontrager. I like the Bontrager.

I'm looking at a 9.6 and have 26x3.8 Hodags on a Farley 8. I've tested both. The 27.5 seems to have a lower profile and maybe a less bouncy tire but overall quite the same. Last night two that had each Hodag - everyone had fun.

We've rented 26 in Farleys with the Barbegazis and they have the advantage in soft stuff and 3.8 Hodag on fast packed snow.

My suggestion on other tires and wheels is make a spreadsheet or list of diameter. I've ridden different Farley models with 27.5 Plus that I thought were too small (pedal hits).

Your 17 model in black is nice looking and has more tire options but my wife and I might pull trigger on closeout 9.6 that would be a bargain. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Nice.

Your 17 model in black is nice looking and has more tire options but my wife and I might pull trigger on closeout 9.6 that would be a bargain. Enjoy!
    I bought my 9.6 back in May and have been happy as a clam ever since. Do it! You won't be disappointed!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Use flashing tape, I suggest Zip or Fortiflash or similar.
    They are lightweight, stretchy, strong and sticky.
    Anyone looking to go tubeless on the fatty need look no further than these tapes, and no need to fuss with horrible Gorilla tape or shrink wrap. Shrink wrap is easy enough, but you have to redo it if you take the tire off.

I used Zip System tape when setting up the Mulefuts on my F7.
    It's only a matter of time before some smart company re-brands one of these tapes as fat bike tubeless tape.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Just got a Farley 5 myself. I purchased the Sun Ringle rim tape and tubeless valves. I installed both last night and topped it off with Bontrager Sealant.

I seated the tire using a tube, then removed one side of the tire to get the tube out and installed the valve. Reseating this side took a few tries with the compressor, but it worked. I am letting it sit for a day to make sure it holds air. So far, so good.

mtbr member
    I got my Sun Ringle tape in yesterday. Waiting in several other things to come in and will be doing the conversion this weekend (I hope). So Blazer how are you liking your 5 so far? I am loving the 7 a bunch! It is an aggressive feeling bike. It is quick and fun. Have already gone down so that is out of the way, no damage to the bike. I am still dialing it in for myself. Think I am going to try a 30t chain ring instead of the 28 and see if it is better. Can always switch back for the snow. Finding that 8-9lbs of pressure is the sweet spot for me on the tire pressure. Also got some bling to spice her up a little!LOL! She is a sweetheart for sure! Will post pics tonight.
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Farley Talk

I got my Sun Ringle tape in yesterday. Waiting in several other things to come in and will be doing the conversion this weekend (I hope). So Blazer how are you liking your 5 so far? I am loving the 7 a bunch! It is an aggressive feeling bike. It is quick and fun. Have already gone down so that is out of the way, no damage to the bike. I am still dialing it in for myself. Think I am going to try a 30t chain ring instead of the 28 and see if it is better. Can always switch back for the snow. Finding that 8-9lbs of pressure is the sweet spot for me on the tire pressure. Also got some bling to spice her up a little!LOL! She is a sweetheart for sure! Will post pics tonight.
    I have only gotten one ride in so far. Though it was a mellow ride, I really enjoyed it. I have not really played around with the pressure. I set up tubeless in the rear. I will set up the front, but I have a carbon fork and 150mm hub on order. So, I will set it up after the conversion. The tubeless rear went flat within 24 hours of conversion. However, after another strong dose of compressed air it seems to be good to go. I have yet to play around with the pressure, though I will this week.

I bought the 5, as opposed to the 7, because of the 2x rings and new color. However, I have ordered the Haru fork and 150mm hub as upgrades. I work for a dealer, thus this process has been much more economical.

Already looking forward to the first snowfall.

Cheers

mtbr member
    I also work for a dealer. Are you in the rewards pgm? I have had it out 3 times so far and like it more each time. A very fun bike for sure. I was thinking about a set of 27.5 jackalope's but not sure if needed. For now i have spent enough!LOL
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I have not given a lot of thought into 27.5. If I did, I'd upgrade to the Wampa. Price difference is not that much more for ep. But, I am with you. Blew my load on the bike, Wheel rebuild, fork, and paint for the fork. I am just going to enjoy the ride for the winter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    Use flashing tape, I suggest Zip or Fortiflash or similar.
    They are lightweight, stretchy, strong and sticky.
    I'm guessing that you went w/ a 3" tape? Sun's is 78mm. A 3" tape should be close, like 76.2mm. Hopefully that would get the job done.
    I found this 3M tape on Amazon. I'm thinking it should be comparable to the Zip tape:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BurkeVT View Post
    I'm guessing that you went w/ a 3" tape? Sun's is 78mm. A 3" tape should be close, like 76.2mm. Hopefully that would get the job done.
    I found this 3M tape on Amazon. I'm thinking it should be comparable to the Zip tape:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Zip tape is 3 3/4" or so.
    I trimmed it with an X-acto after it was applied and burnished down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Good choice, run the 27.5's for summer riding and faster rolling, huge difference and the tires are lower volume so less rolling and more responsive handling. TLR sets up really well, and drops almost 2 pounds. Making the bike roughly 27lbs. I made this video of the Farley 7, shows some tires clearance too. https://youtu.be/DBxIrTAFNds