2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 801 to 1,000 of 2225
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FT251 View Post
    AH, I am going out tomorrow in Midland MI to try out the Barbagazi's. Probably start around 6-7 LB and go from there.
    What time are you going?
    Bucksaw, Farley, and a Sturgis....

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bcriverjunky View Post
    What time are you going?
    noon,
    2016 Trek Farley 5 Frame and all custom parts.

mtbr member
    Heading out to Island Lake now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What cranks and bottom bracket fit the 2016 Farley?

Loking at Race Face Turbine or Next sl, they come in 2 spindle lengths 170mm or 190mm (177/197).

The 177/197 refers to the rear drop out spacing. The 2016 has the wider 197 but supposed to have the same q factor as last years 177.

So which race face size fits the 2016 Farley?
    As race face comes on most of the range i'm guessing someone might know or could check.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha46 View Post

Loking at Race Face Turbine or Next sl, they come in 2 spindle lengths 170mm or 190mm (177/197).

The 177/197 refers to the rear drop out spacing. The 2016 has the wider 197 but supposed to have the same q factor as last years 177.

As race face comes on most of the range i'm guessing someone might know or could check.
    Thanks.
    They both do. 170 spindle is stock on 9.8

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thought I'd add to the first snow ride pics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha46 View Post

Thanks.

The Farley 2016 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 use a raceface 169mm spindle that is for normally used on 177mm spaced fat bikes; however, when you flip the direct mount ring so that it moves the chainline out, you have the correct chainline for a 197mm rear end.

They even post a chart about all their fatbike chainlines here: http://raceface.com/comp/pdf/FatBike...-Chainline.pdf

Here Kristofer Henry of 44 bikes illustrates a flipped chainring of Raceface manufacture, as well as one from Wolf Tooth Components: https://www.flickr.com/photos/44bikes/16139981105

In short, if you want the least q factor possible, build with a race face crankset + 169mm spindle + direct mount narrow wide ring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LunchRider View Post
    Heading out to Island Lake now!

1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks 'rain100' that makes sense.

mtbr member
    Anyone running a 5 or 7 with Mulefuts & switched down to a narrower tyre (3.8-4") rather than the 4.7"? Any recommendations for non-snow/general trail & natural single track?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The 2015 FaRLEY 6 came with them and they work great with the 3.8 Hodags. If you are looking for a faster tires I suggest you look at the Bontrager Rougarau's
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bont...kikWwTylXmM%3A

mtbr member
    The 2015 FaRLEY 6 came with them and they work great with the 3.8 Hodags. If you are looking for a faster tires I suggest you look at the Bontrager Rougarau's
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bont...kikWwTylXmM%3A
    Thanks! I'm just looking for thinner options when I wear down the Barbegazis (which may be some time!). At that point I may be looking at 27.5 rims but just wondering what 4" options there are to partner up with the 80mm Mulefuts. We don't get much snow here but I wanted the F5 as my entrance into Fat Biking and I absolutely love it.

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-wp_20151122_14_11_00_pro.jpg

First snowriding, i like so much

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cr3anmachin3 View Post
    Anyone running a 5 or 7 with Mulefuts & switched down to a narrower tyre (3.8-4") rather than the 4.7"? Any recommendations for non-snow/general trail & natural single track?
    Hodags, or Rougarou is looking good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Can I fit 27.5 plus combo on the 2016 Farley 7? I would like to eventually put slimmer tires cruising around the beach streets. Always in thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by reelsimple88 View Post
    Can I fit 27.5 plus combo on the 2016 Farley 7? I would like to eventually put slimmer tires cruising around the beach streets. Always in thanks
    You can fit 27.5+, 27.5 x 4, 29+, 26x5.

mtbr member
    Waiting for my new boots to show up this afternoon so I can go ride!

1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    Anyone have a suggestion for a rear rack that mounts to stock bungs? I saw one online that you had to attach the bracket with rubber and clamps to the frame and one Surley that needed a new seatpost clamp to attach to. One was cheesy and one heavy duty but was $150.

I need something solid but it does not need to hold three days of camping supplies.
    Nothing?

My dealer said they were expecting one. For three weeks. Nothing on the Trek website.

Not one person is running a rear rack?
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Nothing?

My dealer said they were expecting one. For three weeks. Nothing on the Trek website.

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/201...918667-13.html

mtbr member
    Thanks but I need a rack to mount on the bike not a rack to put the bike on.

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'll be interested in the response to this as well.
    2016 Farley 7 +Bluto

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Hunt View Post
    Anybody mounted an X-Fusion Hilo Strate to a Farley? That's probably up next for me.

I finally got the Bluto on my F7 two days ago. Of course, it's been raining ever since.
    I have not, but would be very interested in your findings.

I wound up with a good deal on a KS LEV Integra. Fits with no issues, and that's on the small frame (15.5) F7.
    2016 Farley 7 +Bluto

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Does anyone know if the front wheel on the Farley 5 can be adapted to fit a 150mm thru axle? I'm curious in case I ever wanted to change forks. I assume it is as I'm guessing the hub on the F5 and F7 is the same and Trek just uses different adapters. However, I know on other bikes they make specific hubs that aren't interchangeable. Any insight will be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Pretty sure the hubs on the 5 are the same a the 6 last year and are not convertible without machining your own spacers. Look through the 6 and 8 thread to see how they managed.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The Topeak Super Tourist rack (non disc) will fit if you mount it to the inside of the frame bosses (it sits a little high).

Name:  718WeYQsRWL._SY355_.jpg
Views: 1916
Size:  14.8 KB

It needs a seatpost abaptor to support the front (unless you fancy fabricating a long bracket to support it from the frame).

Name:  salsa-rack-lock-seatpost-clamp-black-stock-M.jpg
Views: 2001
Size:  31.6 KB

I was all set to get one of those, but saw an almost identical design in the shop (Halfords!) that was matt black, and a better colour match to my frame.

I cut the supports down by about 40mm so it sat lower over the back wheel and fabricated my own bracket for the front. It is too early to say how well it will last.

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-dsc04017a.jpg

It acts as a mudguard, at least.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SHowley2003 View Post
    Does anyone know if the front wheel on the Farley 5 can be adapted to fit a 150mm thru axle? I'm curious in case I ever wanted to change forks. I assume it is as I'm guessing the hub on the F5 and F7 is the same and Trek just uses different adapters. However, I know on other bikes they make specific hubs that aren't interchangeable. Any insight will be appreciated.
    I chatted with a Trek rep yesterday about the hub on the 5 and was told that it is not convertible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattoid View Post
    I chatted with a Trek rep yesterday about the hub on the 5 and was told that it is not convertible.
    Thank you for the information. I truly appreciate the insight.

This is so frustrating. I'm not sure why Trek does this on so many bikes. It is consistent across the line that they have the same model wheel with different versions depending on the price point of the bike. My ignorant understanding of the business makes me think that it would be cheaper to manufacture one consistent hub with two or three interchangeable end caps and axles. Plus it would also increase the upgrade bug which means people would be ordering these parts to go with the wheels.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the information. I truly appreciate the insight.

This is so frustrating. I'm not sure why Trek does this on so many bikes. It is consistent across the line that they have the same model wheel with different versions depending on the price point of the bike. My ignorant understanding of the business makes me think that it would be cheaper to manufacture one consistent hub with two or three interchangeable end caps and axles. Plus it would also increase the upgrade bug which means people would be ordering these parts to go with the wheels.
    Maybe they got really good deals on the forks and hubs to make it more cost effective for the 5.

Loud tyres save lives
    Jul 2013
    I don't know if it's anything like the Farley 6 which can't take a 150mm fork normally however there's a guy on the Farley 6/8 thread that produces custom spacers to make it fit.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Picked up my Farley 7 today and couldn't be happier. Took it for a ride and absolutely loved it. I wasn't sure I'd like the brakes but they seem to work great, the tires roll really well on every surface I encountered and the gearing is perfect for me. The bike feels really good, the geometry for me is perfect. Climbing feels much easier then my Fatboy, not sure why but it was noticeable. This is my third fat bike and easily the best I have owned yet. Great job Trek!
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2019 Salsa Journeyman Apex 650B
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8

Digging in the pain cave.
    Took my 7 out for the first snowfall of the year. It handled it perfectly.

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-screen-shot-2015-11-20-10.28.40-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    Hey guys.. .ok... anyone have any pics or more pics on the Farley 9?!?!! I might pick one up and need more stoke! This would be my second fat bit and have the second 5 inch wheel set already with Bud and Lou so that's cool. It's really about the 9 or 9.6.. I like the 9 a lot though.. great drive train..bluto..wheels..etc..I wouldn't mind carbon but want front suspension. My fat bike now is fully rigid steel pig.. love it but want the Farley.. will weigh less and very versatile with differ wheels to put on. I weigh about 255 with gear and ride hard.

Whatcha guys think!?!

thanks!
    Cheers!
    k n o ll y r o c k s

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Farley9

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-image.jpg2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-image.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekStache View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1820 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	1031690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	534 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	1031691

Ohhhhh man thank you good sir TrekStache! yup... purrrttty ! How you like that beast? Looks like your in a hostel? Traveling with it ?

How do you like the overall of the bike?

Thanks man for the stokeage!
    k n o ll y r o c k s

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Ha in my basement.

Love it man, looks sick in person, and a lot of fun on the trail. I am looking forward to a fun winter.

Carbon would be nice, but I got sucked into the paint job. Flat blue is on another level.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I just upgraded my 5 with a raceface cinch turbine direct mount 28 tooth crank and slx rear derailleur. Not 1x11 but I'm hoping I can push through the snow with this gearing. If not I can go down to 26 teeth on the crank or maybe a 11-40 praxis 10 speed cassette.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I did a double take at first - thought that was a blue Stache.
    That's what I get for looking at the forum with my phone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

the blue stache

I think the same thing when I see mine in the garage with the rest of my bikes. At first it just looks like a blue hard-tail with extra knobby tires. It's only when I go to take the front wheel off and put the bike on my rack that I realize just how big the hoops and tires are.

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-img_0697.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I joined team Farley this afternoon with the purchase of a new 2016 Farley 7, pics to follow soon as I get a chance to get it outside in the sun.

Question about the sliding rear drop outs. How is everyone positioning the rear wheel?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyvt View Post
    I joined team Farley this afternoon with the purchase of a new 2016 Farley 7, pics to follow soon as I get a chance to get it outside in the sun.

Question about the sliding rear drop outs. How is everyone positioning the rear wheel?
    The over simplified answer is forward for trail riding back for more float in the snow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The over simplified answer is forward for trail riding back for more float in the snow.
    Thanks for confirming what I thought might be the case. I'll leave it set back where it was when delivered and hope that Vermont gets some natural snow soon.

mtbr member
    I have never adjusted drop outs before, can someone walk me through it? Mine are set all the way back right now.
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2019 Salsa Journeyman Apex 650B
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if the front wheel on the Farley 5 can be adapted to fit a 150mm thru axle?
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcL7 View Post
    I don't know if it's anything like the Farley 6 which can't take a 150mm fork normally however there's a guy on the Farley 6/8 thread that produces custom spacers to make it fit.
    John
    I've just checked mine, and it is 15mm clear through the middle with the QR adaptors removed. While I haven't checked with a micrometer, it looks like the adaptors on the Farley 6 thread will work.

Spud State Rider
    I am late to the party but here is a pic of my 5 from my first ride today.

Sunset Fat Biking @ Hells Gate by Doug, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Not so late really - and congrats

mtbr member

Tyre / front mech clearance - fixed!

I found that the rear tyre buzzes the front derailleur on the 5 if you try and slide the dropouts all the way forwards with the stock tyres (and is generally in a poor place to pick up mud and stuff).

I want to keep my 2X setup, and have no interest in going to 1X, but the good news is that front derailleurs are coming up on ebay for cheap.

A SRAM X0 36T S3 top pull front mech is a straight swap with the stock mech and gives about 10mm / 3/8" more clearance. (It also keeps the moving part of the mech away from the tyre.)

X0 top pull on left, stock X5 dual pull on right - note how much the cable clamp bolt sticks out.

This is the clearance with the dropout about 3/4 way forward with the stock mech. This was as close as I could run it:

Same dropout setting with the top pull mech. Looks like it could have been designed for it:

There's enough clearance to set the dropouts all the way forwards now, which does make a very noticeable difference to handling (it's *really* easy to get the front wheel up ):

It's only the X0 mech that is available in top pull for the stock chainrings (AFAIK), so it would be an expensive fix for little gain at RRP, but they seem to come up on ebay quite cheaply.

HTH

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Nice job Misterg! Trek really should have used a derailleur on the F5 that clears a slammed stock tire configuration.

mtbr member

Tyres on the F5

I don't think any photos I've seen so far really do the sheer fatness of the Barbegazi tyres on the F5 justice. Here's one that does. Bike on right has 2.1" Black Jacks on it for comparison.2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-image1-1-.jpg

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know what max size of chainring can be run on the 9.8? Comes with a 30, and there isn't much clearance between the stay and ring. Can I run a 32? 34?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post
    Does anyone know what max size of chainring can be run on the 9.8? Comes with a 30, and there isn't much clearance between the stay and ring. Can I run a 32? 34?
    I have been thinking the same thing i know a 32 fits but don't have a 34 to try!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    running a 32 dm on mine. dont think a dm 34 will fit maybe with a spider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tadraper View Post
    I have been thinking the same thing i know a 32 fits but don't have a 34 to try!!
    Good to know! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tincup69 View Post
    Picked up my Farley 7 today and couldn't be happier. Took it for a ride and absolutely loved it. I wasn't sure I'd like the brakes but they seem to work great, the tires roll really well on every surface I encountered and the gearing is perfect for me. The bike feels really good, the geometry for me is perfect. Climbing feels much easier then my Fatboy, not sure why but it was noticeable. This is my third fat bike and easily the best I have owned yet. Great job Trek!
    Did you notice the two threaded holes where the front derailleur should be mounted? Does yours covered?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by larryarroyo View Post
    Did you notice the two threaded holes where the front derailleur should be mounted? Does yours covered?
    I'm planning on installing an MRP 1X S3/E-Mount Model over mine.
    https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...structions.pdf

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'll sell my 2016 Trek Farley 9.8 it's got Enve bars, XT brakes, Thomson 50mm X4. The rest is stock. I'm just more of a FS guy I guess, and I'm drooling over a new Ibis HD3. It's on CL if anyone is interested?

mtbr member
    Interesting day. I went to a Winter Bike Expo at a LBS. They had reps from bike companies and aftermarket suppliers. 30 demo bikes from Salsa, Surely and Trek. It's warm here so the track was mud, wet snow and glare ice with wood obstacles and a tar path next to it.

I'm not super technical when it comes to tech, geometry and I don't even know what "manualing" means so don't expect some great review.

I rode the fully suspended Carbon Bucksaw, Blackbarrow, Wednesday, Ice Cream Truck, and four Treks. Probably 8 bikes total.

I managed to crash the Bucksaw full carbon full suspension bike on a 180 degree wooden burm they built. Front tire slid out. That thing is stupid cool. Now I want a dropper post. Awesome.

I rode all the bikes on an off camber hill that had sloppy snow. All the bikes (including my 7) slid out on me to some degree. The worst was the Trek with the Hodags. Not impressed. The tires felt like the may have more PSI or the profile makes them not as bouncy so take it for what it's worth. (close to 0?)

I can honestly say there is not one bike there that I liked more or had to have compared to my Farely 7. Granted the conditions were not there to really feel the suspension bikes work. I am sure the I would trade my bike for the Bucksaw even money was no object.

I told that to the LBS guy and he just nodded and said the Trek's are beginning to really get noticed.

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Interesting day. I went to a Winter Bike Expo at a LBS. They had reps from bike companies and aftermarket suppliers. 30 demo bikes from Salsa, Surely and Trek. It's warm here so the track was mud, wet snow and glare ice with wood obstacles and a tar path next to it.

I'm not super technical when it comes to tech, geometry and I don't even know what "manualing" means so don't expect some great review.

I rode the fully suspended Carbon Bucksaw, Blackbarrow, Wednesday, Ice Cream Truck, and four Treks. Probably 8 bikes total.

I managed to crash the Bucksaw full carbon full suspension bike on a 180 degree wooden burm they built. Front tire slid out. That thing is stupid cool. Now I want a dropper post. Awesome.

I rode all the bikes on an off camber hill that had sloppy snow. All the bikes (including my 7) slid out on me to some degree. The worst was the Trek with the Hodags. Not impressed. The tires felt like the may have more PSI or the profile makes them not as bouncy so take it for what it's worth. (close to 0?)

I can honestly say there is not one bike there that I liked more or had to have compared to my Farely 7. Granted the conditions were not there to really feel the suspension bikes work. I am sure the I would trade my bike for the Bucksaw even money was no object.

I told that to the LBS guy and he just nodded and said the Trek's are beginning to really get noticed.
    You shouldn't have ridden a Bucksaw.... I made the same mistake and now have one in my garage. It would be the last bike I sold and I may even get rid of a kid or two first.

My Beargrease owning neighbor won't ride mine- he says his wife won't let him buy one and he doesn't want to be lusting after a bike he can't have.

I wasn't impressed with the 27.5" Hodags in any of the similar sloppy conditions I've ridden either. They seem to work about as well as my Jumbo Jims, which isn't saying much. Dry stuff they both excel, but when the tough get going......
    ‘19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Nothing?

Talked to Trek reps this weekend about a rear rack. One said Bontrager is probably working on one but he wasn't sure. And the other shrugged his shoulders while the LBS guy showed me a Salsa Alternator that will fit if you replace your quick release seat post clamp with one that has attachment points.

I set it on the bike and it looks like it will fit well (close but not too close) to the tire etc.

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

Spud State Rider
    Talked to Trek reps this weekend about a rear rack. One said Bontrager is probably working on one but he wasn't sure. And the other shrugged his shoulders while the LBS guy showed me a Salsa Alternator that will fit if you replace your quick release seat post clamp with one that has attachment points.

I set it on the bike and it looks like it will fit well (close but not too close) to the tire etc.
    a friend is running the blackburn outpost rack. He had to use hose clamps for the top attachment.

Blackburn Outpost Fat Bike Rack | Backcountry.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug_ID View Post
    a friend is running the blackburn outpost rack. He had to use hose clamps for the top attachment.

Blackburn Outpost Fat Bike Rack | Backcountry.com

I also think that Tubus has some racks that would work. There is a version that you can use in conjuction with the quick release.

J.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    What's the simple solution to those stupid optical gear displays on the F5 shifters? In stock form, the optical displays result in either the brakes being too far outboard or the shifters being too far inboard. Should I just replace them with Zee shifters? Are SLX shifters available in Bar Mount form without the optical display?

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by Grouch51 View Post
    What's the simple solution to those stupid optical gear displays on the F5 shifters? In stock form, the optical displays result in either the brakes being too far outboard or the shifters being too far inboard. Should I just replace them with Zee shifters? Are SLX shifters available in Bar Mount form without the optical display?
    you can dig thru this to find the cheapest shifter that includes the blanking plates SHIMANO Dealer's Manual / User's Manual
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

bigger than you.
    you can remove the gear indicators on SLX shifters, they're optional.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedeezy View Post
    And theres the whole Shimano brakes not being great in the cold thing...

my shimanos work fine in the cold. -25 out. were a little stiff but atleast dont scream like a turkey like those POS avids.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    you can remove the gear indicators on SLX shifters, they're optional.
    Ah...reading a bit more on the SLX, it appears the bar mount versions include the indicators AND the blanking cover. Sweet!

mtbr member
    Ah...reading a bit more on the SLX, it appears the bar mount versions include the indicators AND the blanking cover. Sweet!
    Yep, I've an old pair of SLX shifters on a 2011 bike and they have the blanking cover inside. Quite handy for space saving on bars. Just wish the Deores on my F5 had the same but since I have sworn to myself to not add a dropper or other such "technical nonsense" that I have on my other FS bike to my fat bike it shouldn't be an issue.

you could try this but I wouldn't recommend: Remove Gear Window on MTB Shifters

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sold my Fatboy a while back and ended up with one of these after demoing a bunch of bikes. I went with the Old Man Mountain rack since it is what I had. I was going to try the blackburn but it looked like it would be sitting too high for me. Axiom and Tubus also have fat racks out now.

Had to go with clamps since I couldnt find a seat collar with rack mounts that was the right size. Salsa makes a rack mount that goes on the seat post rather than a seat collar that might work.

I still have some things to tweak but am really liking this bike.

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-img_1972.jpg2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-img_1973.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I picked up an Axiom a few days ago and will get it mounted this weekend. Pictures soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    On Lake Michigan (Grand Haven) this past weekend...love this bike...converted it to 1x11 and upgraded the brakes.

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-fatonmism.jpg2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-lkmifat2.jpg
    Also, Looking for a frame bag that would fit this (19") frame...picked up one of the Revelate Designs frame bag in medium but it doesn't fit - too long. In addition to this the front strap is not long enough to wrap around the headset. Even if I go to the smaller size I would not be able to attach this bag.
    2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-framebag.jpg
    Any ideas; with pictures...
    Thanks!

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by euromade View Post
    Also, Looking for a frame bag that would fit this (19") frame...picked up one of the Revelate Designs frame bag in medium but it doesn't fit - too long. In addition to this the front strap is not long enough to wrap around the headset. Even if I go to the smaller size I would not be able to attach this bag.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	framebag.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	1034552
    Any ideas; with pictures...
    Thanks!
    The Revelate tangle bag is not meant to go around the headset, the 2 loops on the front angled part both go on the downtube

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Does anyone have a Revelate bag on their '16 Farley? If so, care to share your frame size/bag size and fit experience?

mtbr member
    I have one that I will install later and provide feedback.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Looking for any feedback on Trek Farley 5 vs 9.6, Specifically the differences with 27.5X4 riding characteristics. I have a Farley 5 looking at possible upgrade. I ride in all conditions in west MI.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamogal View Post
    Looking for any feedback on Trek Farley 5 vs 9.6, Specifically the differences with 27.5X4 riding characteristics. I have a Farley 5 looking at possible upgrade. I ride in all conditions in west MI.
    Make up a set of 27.5 x 3.8 wheels and have the best of both worlds. The jackelope wheels won't work on your fork, you have 135 spacing. The rear one will work so you could buy a DT Swiss hub and lace it to a jackelope hoop. JMHO. Or get the 9.6 and get a set of 26x5 wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Farely 5, and 29+
    Now, you have not only the ability to run 4.8" tires, but also 3.8" tires on those same 80mm rims (which is virtually the same as running 27.5x3.8) plus your 29+ set.

THAT is the best of both worlds. Even forgetting the 29+ and running 3.8" tires in the Summer until you can budget in the 29+. Or get some 50mm 27.5 and run anything from 3" to the 3.8" tires.
    Can't do that with one of the 9's,and another reason the 7 is the sweet spot (or 5).
    You can run 3.8" tires on the 5 and 7, but you can't run 4.8" tires on the 9 models.
    Boom - you're welcome.

Pure Evil
    26x4.8" tires fit just fine on ALL 2016 Farley's; 5, 7, 9, 9.6, 9.8 You can also run the dropouts all the way forward (440mm) on any 1x Farley, or run some of the higher end SRAM FD's.

|Trek Bicycle Corporation|

Stalk me on Instagram

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Gambit, I have seen pictures of a 9.6 with 26 x 4.7 Barbagazis on it.

From Trek's webpage:Even fatter
    Farley's new wider 197mm rear axle spacing accepts tires up to 5˝ in width, meaning there's no adventure that can't be conquered by this go-anywhere machine.

Accommodates all wheel systems
    Versatility is the name of the game. Farley now accommodates capable 26˝ x 5˝ or fast 27.5˝ x 4˝ wheels, so you can dial your ride for your style of adventure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    You missed the point.
    Of course they will fit, it's the same frame.
    The point is you have to buy another set of wheels.

With the 5 and 7, it's as I outlined above.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Anyone come up with a solution to stud the new 27.5 tire? Does the grip stud work in the hodag? I have a new 9.6 coming as my first fatbike, since snow is light this year Im thinking I may need some studded tires.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    You missed the point.
    Of course they will fit, it's the same frame.
    The point is you have to buy another set of wheels.

With the 5 and 7, it's as I outlined above.
    26 x 3.8 isn't the same as 27.5x 3.8. Ride them both. I have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I really only want one bike just wondering if anyone notices a performance improvement and think that the 27.5 X 4 is a do it all option ? Or just go with higher performance 26X4 lighter tires as second set for farley 5.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    26 x 3.8 isn't the same as 27.5x 3.8. Ride them both. I have.
    More than close enough in exchange for the versatility.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I really only want one bike just wondering if anyone notices a performance improvement and think that the 27.5 X 4 is a do it all option ? Or just go with higher performance 26X4 lighter tires as second set for farley 5.
    I woud do that because having the 26x5 is worth it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I managed to get a Medium Revelate Tangle mounted on my 19" Farley 5. The front strap is very tight! I contacted the manufacturer and they will send me an extension. I like the way it looks on the bike, and the quality of the product appears to be top notch...I had to move the bottle cage one notch down...I can easily store an extra water bootle, some gear, snacks, iPhone 6+, etc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by euromade View Post
    I managed to get a Medium Revelate Tangle mounted on my 19" Farley 5. The front strap is very tight! I contacted the manufacturer and they will send me an extension. I like the way it looks on the bike, and the quality of the product appears to be top notch...I had to move the bottle cage one notch down...I can easily store an extra water bootle, some gear, snacks, iPhone 6+, etc
    this is the same result i had the front strap is a little short but the Medium Revelate Tangle mounted on my 19" Farley 9.8 looks good and fits well even with this strap tucked away.

mtbr member
    Anyone run a rear mudguard on a Farley and if so what? I'm thinking of making my own in similar vein to Mucky Nutz front guards/just bending plastic round. Also, for those that care....you might have trouble fitting a Kyrptonite D-lock to an F5. I just did....tyre/rim too big to even get the lock through :-/

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    this is the same result i had the front strap is a little short but the Medium Revelate Tangle mounted on my 19" Farley 9.8 looks good and fits well even with this strap tucked away.
    Any pics mounted up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cr3anmachin3 View Post
    Anyone run a rear mudguard on a Farley and if so what? I'm thinking of making my own in similar vein to Mucky Nutz front guards/just bending plastic round. Also, for those that care....you might have trouble fitting a Kyrptonite D-lock to an F5. I just did....tyre/rim too big to even get the lock through :-/
    I put a Dave's Mud Shovel on the back and the front despite the lukewarm reviews. They're pretty inexpensive.

Back: The seatpost mount everybody says is sketchy is probably going to piss me off at some point. I have ridden 100 miles with it and it's been fine but only on the road and light off trail stuff because it's 47 degrees and rainy in MN. I think it may move around in the bumpy single track.

Front: Works great for keeping water etc off the triangle and flying on me from underneath. The problem is when going at a quick pace the water shoots off the front of the tire and then flys up and hits me in the face. May need a Mucky Nutz.

My Kryptonite will fit through the wheel and a bike rack but BARELY. It won't go through the frame/wheel and bike rack.

I had to buy a cable for when I park it in in sketchy areas so I can lock the both the front and rear rims. The thing is so big and cartoon like it garners a lot of attention which makes me nervous.

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I put a Dave's Mud Shovel on the back and the front despite the lukewarm reviews. They're pretty inexpensive.

Back: The seatpost mount everybody says is sketchy is probably going to piss me off at some point. I have ridden 100 miles with it and it's been fine but only on the road and light off trail stuff because it's 47 degrees and rainy in MN. I think it may move around in the bumpy single track.

Front: Works great for keeping water etc off the triangle and flying on me from underneath. The problem is when going at a quick pace the water shoots off the front of the tire and then flys up and hits me in the face. May need a Mucky Nutz.

My Kryptonite will fit through the wheel and a bike rack but BARELY. It won't go through the frame/wheel and bike rack.

I had to buy a cable for when I park it in in sketchy areas so I can lock the both the front and rear rims. The thing is so big and cartoon like it garners a lot of attention which makes me nervous.
    I used the mud shovels last year and they worked ok, my biggest issue was kicking the rear fender when trying to rapidly mount/dismount. I've since switched to the lower profile D-Fenders, but haven't gotten much testing done yet.
    ‘19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Trek Farley 6's are hideous

All you have to do when you fall is to get back up

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Yep, ditch the Deore shifters with their crappy windows that fill with moisture, work backwards and clutter your bars. I got a good deal on a Zee shifter as I was converting to1x anyway but anything upwards of SLX should have removable windows. My shifter/brake position is 200% improved now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    9.8 owners how are you liking the sram rs brakes so far?

personally i dont like it as much as my xt's or saint on all my other bikes. braking power is sub par imo.

2010 Trek Madone 4.5
    2011 Trek Remedy 9
    2013 Trek Session 9.9
    2015 Trek Fuel 9.8 650b

mtbr member
    Mine took some time to break in. I was finally getting some good lock up on the trail yesterday. The noise also finally stopped.

1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tagabalay View Post

personally i dont like it as much as my xt's or saint on all my other bikes. braking power is sub par imo.

I like them fine. Enough to not bother swapping. Have xtrs on my other bike, which I prefer. But the new Guides work well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i may just have to ride it more. only had about 50miles on mine. we will see.

2010 Trek Madone 4.5
    2011 Trek Remedy 9
    2013 Trek Session 9.9
    2015 Trek Fuel 9.8 650b

mtbr member
    i may just have to ride it more. only had about 50miles on mine. we will see.

Yes. It took me more than 50 miles to break them in. More like 150.

1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    good to know. i use the front brakes a lot and that is where i am having trouble with the sram guide. rear brakes works just fine.

2010 Trek Madone 4.5
    2011 Trek Remedy 9
    2013 Trek Session 9.9
    2015 Trek Fuel 9.8 650b

mtbr member

i have 800 miles on my Farley 9.8 and i like these brakes. haven't had any issues and they are working as well as the XT's i had on other bikes.

mtbr member
    Anybody put a seat post dropper on a 9.8 yet?

1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Have a 9.8 and love it. Already thinking about how to use it in the summer. Would like to add a set of 27.5+ with 3" tires to shed a little weight and increase handling.
    See any problems with this from a BB height etc?
    Maybe a 50mm carbon rim.....

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mkdiehl View Post
    Have a 9.8 and love it. Already thinking about how to use it in the summer. Would like to add a set of 27.5+ with 3" tires to shed a little weight and increase handling.

Thanks
    Love mine as well. Really thinking I might be able to make it my year round bike with some 29+ wheels and a suspension fork up front. I think 29+ fit...

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by mkdiehl View Post

Thanks
    40 mm would be a little better for a 3.0 tire.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Im running a dropper and 29plus on my 9.8. I think 27.5x3 will drop the bb too much. It will be close to an inch lower or more. Dropper is fun for tech riding and even just goofing off.2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-img_20151107_100656.jpg2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-img_20151107_100707.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    What rims did you buy? Did you do a weight comparison vs stock?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Nextie jungle fox on dt350 hubs, 120tpi knards, single speed, with the ks lev 125mm dropper. It is 21lbs as you see it. Vs 24lbs with the wampa/hodags.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Great info. Thanks. Just one clarification, are both weights above with single speed? IE, the wheels tires were the main reason for the 3lb loss?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yep both SS the 29+ wheelset is 3 lbs lighter. I have since switched to chupacabras and saved another 1/4lb overall. Was going to try the fat b nimble 29+ but was a mere 2.6 at best on a 50mm with a lot of wobble in the casing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Oops, never mind. Carry on, there no droids here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The real question now is to bluto or not?The rct3 is pretty cheap right now. Just never been a big fan of RS.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Good question. Was going to ask you. With the 3" do you need it? Don't really want to gain back the weight I lose by adding a fork but maybe it is necessary. Then what am I gaining over stock?

I already have a 22.5lb full suspension race bike.....so not sure what my real goal is.....just looking for something a little different to race at times to mix it up I think.
    Maybe hard tail 29+ vs my race bike at same weight will have different strengths/weaknesses.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I also have a ti gnarvester with an mrp stage up front. It is super comfy in comparison to the farley. i can bomb down rougher sections on it where i have to pick and choose with the farley. The farley is more precise and handles better than the gnar setup 29+. I prefer the geo of the farley but is a bit rougher than the gnar. Ideally i would love to have 150mm spaced mrp stage with 110mm of travel for the farley.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    do you guys know what socket size i need to losen the rear axle bolt? i want to have my dropout slammed forward

2010 Trek Madone 4.5
    2011 Trek Remedy 9
    2013 Trek Session 9.9
    2015 Trek Fuel 9.8 650b

mtbr member
    Got an extra wheel set and added the minions.

Spud State Rider
    do you guys know what socket size i need to losen the rear axle bolt? i want to have my dropout slammed forward

20mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    thank you.

2010 Trek Madone 4.5
    2011 Trek Remedy 9
    2013 Trek Session 9.9
    2015 Trek Fuel 9.8 650b

mtbr member
    I'd go with one of the boost 29+ forks available over a Bluto any day. You'll need a new hub but would be way better. Save the large/rigid combo for winter and run suspension /29+ the other 3 seasons.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I agree bluto is not ideal. I would much rather have a 34-36mm fork. I already have 2 wheels built with 150mm hubs which are way stiffer than any boosted wheel would be. I have a line on a fox plus for a good deal. just dont want to rebuild the wheels then still have two different hub sizes. Would preffer to have cross compatibility with two forks and 3 wheels. Not to mention that 4" is the biggest tire thats going to work on any of the current plus forks. Come on fox, mrp, manitou, dvo, boss, anybody besides that laufing damperless thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by silver2ks4 View Post
    Nextie jungle fox on dt350 hubs, 120tpi knards, single speed, with the ks lev 125mm dropper. It is 21lbs as you see it. Vs 24lbs with the wampa/hodags.
    I just put a dropper on this afternoon. I am stoked!
    RS reverb stealth.

1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I just put a dropper on this afternoon. I am stoked!
    RS reverb stealth.

any pics?

mtbr member

Here you go! I have only played around the neighborhood with it, but it allows me move around the cockpit like my old BMX bike days. (Long time ago.....)

1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member

Pic of the controller placement.

1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well, in 2 short days I sold my beloved Beargrease 2 and picked up a Farley 9.8! The difference is unbelievable! The Farley is soooo Fricken fast and light! taking the tubes out was the easiest conversion I have ever done! I threw a WTB Pure V Pro and Ergon GX1's. I also ordered a Red 36 chain ring for the spring time! The bike is very smooth and it accelerates like no bodys business! I am really excited for my Procaliber 9.8 (matte black) to show up in a few weeks! BK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supercal20077 View Post
    Well, in 2 short days I sold my beloved Beargrease 2 and picked up a Farley 9.8! The difference is unbelievable! The Farley is soooo Fricken fast and light! taking the tubes out was the easiest conversion I have ever done! I threw a WTB Pure V Pro and Ergon GX1's. I also ordered a Red 36 chain ring for the spring time! The bike is very smooth and it accelerates like no bodys business! I am really excited for my Procaliber 9.8 (matte black) to show up in a few weeks! BK

Not sure this will fit Red 36 chain ring.. i put a 32 on just to test and it is pretty tight and i thought someone said a 34 came close to hitting.. just an FYI.

Great to hear how much you are enjoying the bike!! it is the only bike i have ridden since i got it..

mtbr member

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes

Does your WTB have oval rails?
    I put my WTB with round rails on and found too much play.

I had to put the stock seat back on until I got my dropper.

1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yea, I also think the 36 won't fit, but we (the LBS and I) are going to see and if not, I may order an elliptical ring.

Lunchrider, I put the Pro on and torqued it to spec with no issues. I have 35 miles on it so far and it does feel like I am cheating.

-bustin punks
    And I am the thrilled "new" owner of a sweet blue Beargrease! Thanks BK!

-Ryan

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ryan, I loved that bike! But I think the 9.8 will do just fine!

mtbr member
    Yea, I also think the 36 won't fit, but we (the LBS and I) are going to see and if not, I may order an elliptical ring.

Lunchrider, I put the Pro on and torqued it to spec with no issues. I have 35 miles on it so far and it does feel like I am cheating.
    I got a few rides out of mine , then I came down unexpectedly on it while riding Torn Shirt. That was it, I tried to tighten it back down on the trail with no luck. I ended up standing for the last mile or so.

1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    Quick question for anyone that has adjusted their chain stay to the forward position.

Did you have to adjust you rear derailleur once you moved it forward? I moved mine forward and noticed the High and the Low gear are off a bit?

Any other things I should consider?

Thanks!
    1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    Did you have to adjust you rear derailleur once you moved it forward?
    I didn't, but YMMV.

I don't think it would be unusual to have to tweak the derailleur set up *a little*, but major adjustment would be a warning flag that something is wrong (to me, anyway).

Other things:

Axle done up tight?
    No dirt or muck between the sliding dropout and the frame?
    "Big Nut" tightened to the correct torque?
    Dropouts moved evenly each side?

mtbr member
    Im not well versed in derailleur adjustment yet, so I put it back. I really want to ride tomorrow!

Yes I used the correct torque specs and it is clean between the components. However, I noticed the chain had some slack in the low gear. I was going start with the b tension screw.

Anyhow, I put it back and all is well. I will try again when I have more time.

1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    I adjusted the b screw when I moved them all the way forward. Other than that nothing was needed.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the confirmation.

BTW, are you going to the Abominable ride at the poto this Saturday?

1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Pic of the controller placement.

Thank you sir. Kinda stoked I got it for my Farley as well. I've been doing "normal" mtb trails and this thing is a must.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the confirmation.

BTW, are you going to the Abominable ride at the poto this Saturday?

not sure if i am doing that or racing at fort custer!!!

mtbr member
    Nice! Never heard of that trail system, I looked up. It looks cool.

1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    Nice! Never heard of that trail system, I looked up. It looks cool.

here is the info on the race

2015 Michigan Fat Bike Series Round # 1

mtbr member
    So I would be in the 45+ category. Would I specifically be in the Masters A+ or in the B a 45+ as well.
    What is the difference between A and B?
    1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    So I would be in the 45+ category. Would I specifically be in the Masters A+ or in the B a 45+ as well.
    What is the difference between A and B?
    The difference between A and B is b class is generally newer to racing.

Many over 45 race the standard A class but they are the FAST guys.. it really all depends on what you want to do.

they are fun and when there is lots of snow they are even more fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I am looking at 27.5X4 what is the lowest tire pressure you have run on Trek 9 series tubeless. I like a bit of squish

mtbr member
    I have run 5. The 9.8 Wampa wheels have a sticker with a 5 lb minimum warning.

1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i have a 9.8. i run 8 front and 6 rear. i am 155lbs by the way.

2010 Trek Madone 4.5
    2011 Trek Remedy 9
    2013 Trek Session 9.9
    2015 Trek Fuel 9.8 650b

mtbr member

Thanks ! Will have a look at these. Might try a spare Mucky Nutz I have on the front but as it's an AL rigid fork I'm not too worried about crud on the front....more about keeping my arse dry when it's wet !

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    hi anyone have the frame weight of farley 5 med and farley 9.6 carbon med ? Thanks

Lord Thunderbottom
    I am looking at 27.5X4 what is the lowest tire pressure you have run on Trek 9 series tubeless. I like a bit of squish
    if you're tubeless anything under 5 is at risk of burping

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quick question for anyone that has adjusted their chain stay to the forward position.

Did you have to adjust you rear derailleur once you moved it forward? I moved mine forward and noticed the High and the Low gear are off a bit?

Any other things I should consider?

Thanks!
    I assume this is not normal but mine had an excessively long cable housing, it didn't shift for crap before moving the drops

Moving my dropouts all the way forward caused even more binding of the cable in the housing, I trimmed the housing shorter and lubed the cable before making adjustments, it's all good now

I believe that what others have said is more normal, a little adjustment of the b-screw or nothing at all

mtbr member
    The difference between A and B is b class is generally newer to racing.

Many over 45 race the standard A class but they are the FAST guys.. it really all depends on what you want to do.

they are fun and when there is lots of snow they are even more fun.
    Well my best fat bike time on the poto is 1:52.
    Probably class B.

1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    I assume this is not normal but mine had an excessively long cable housing, it didn't shift for crap before moving the drops

Moving my dropouts all the way forward caused even more binding of the cable in the housing, I trimmed the housing shorter and lubed the cable before making adjustments, it's all good now

I believe that what others have said is more normal, a little adjustment of the b-screw or nothing at all
    Second attempt worked out well with a B screw adjustment.

Thanks to everyone for the input!
    1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    I finally pulled the trigger on a rear rack. What I ended up with is the best fit I could find but not ideal. Also not cheap nor is it a direct bolt on.

One of the LBS's and two Trek Reps said Salsa Alternator. I did not like the fact that I would lose the quick release seat post clamp and I would have over $150 into it when all was said and done. (rack plus new seat post clamp)

Blackburn is what I went with per a different LBS. They installed it but I knew it would not work as is right when I saw it. The rack is designed to be mounted to the axle which can't be done on the Farley. It does have parts to mount it to bungs as well.

When attached alternatively to the bungs it pushes the rack way forward under the seat because the bungs are 4" or so forward of the axle.

The top of the rack is a separate section. We unbolted it and turned it around backwards and which pushed it towards the back of the bike and out from under the seat. Now the bracket that holds a light etc was facing the front of the bike. I cut it off.

We mounted the stays a bit oddly one on top of another to a bolt located below the seat post. NOTE: The 15.5" frame does not have this mounting location. You would need a seat post mount for sure.

I got it home and played around with it some more.

First off I was very worried my heals were going to hit. I rode it and sure enough my heals hit when I was testing it. (WTF? I just cut that plate off so no returning it!) Put my size 9 boots on and rode it "normally" and they never hit again. So it's close.

Second, Pleasantly surprised my panniers for my skinny bike will fit. Off topic, the Thule dry bags that are out are super impressive and now on my want list.

Third. I was able to get my Mud Shovel to fit under the rack. BARELY. The rack sits really close to the tire which is a good thing to keep the weight low. I am going to trim up some of the top plate mounting pins to gain another 1/4 inch of clearance for the mud shovel. This will give some room for error. Super happy about this set up.

Overall I'm happy with the end result but it's been a bit frustrating that Trek, with Bontrager as a partner does not have a simple bolt on rack for their fat bikes.

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-rack.jpg

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if the 27.5 3.5" Fat B Nimbles will work with the Wampa wheels? Thinking about my summer tire set-up, and I may run these ilo a separate 29+ wheelset.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    You're in acute danger of a "I damaged my rim" post within the same season if you do that. The rim is already vulnerable even with the stock tire.
    I'd go 29+

mtbr member
    From what I have seen those would be to narrow.

mtbr member
    You're in acute danger of a "I damaged my rim" post within the same season if you do that. The rim is already vulnerable even with the stock tire.
    I'd go 29+
    Lol. Got it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    New to this forum, but have been following it closely. Decided on a Farley 9.6 and have had it for a few weeks now. I've ridden almost every single day, and am totally loving it. Even when the trails were dry, the poor old Yeti started collecting dust. So far the conditions have ranged from singletrack with snowy spots to singletrack with 4-6" of heavy snow on the ground...I've even ridden it up to the top of a ski area after dark and came down a blue black run.

I got a small frame, with the only mods being a carbon handlebar, extra chunky grips, xpedo spry pedals, and tubeless (4 oz Stans in each tire). Weight for the whole thing is about 27.5 lbs.

Anyone know what a chinese carbon 100mm rim wheelset with some dillingers or similar tire would compare to the Antelope/Hodag?

Some comments on tire pressure:
    On dry gravely singletrack with occasional rock gardens the sweet spot for me seems to be around 7-8 / 8-9 psi front and rear (me = 5' 8", 160 lbs). In unconsolidated snow 3-4" deep, I've ran 5-6 psi front and rear and felt that I had pretty good traction. Haven't ran into any problems navigating through underlying rocks either. Once by accident (before I bought a low pressure gauge), I was running about 4 psi front and rear on groomed ski area cat roads, luckily no damage.

I've also listened to the Trek interview talking about R&D into the 27.5 Hodag size and I'm definitely drinking the kool aid. The bike just feels so fast, and I'm really happy with the tires and rims so far. I think it basically comes down to what you plan on riding - if its <4-6" of snow, groomed, dirt, or anywhere in between this design works really well. If you're truly wanting to ride in the really deep stuff, then go full fat. I may do that eventually, but so far I've been pretty happy.

Finally, I just wanted to share a bunch of pics of my adventures so far:

Happy Friday!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-screen-shot-2015-12-18-10.16.40-am.jpg  

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-2015-12-05-15.38.23.jpg  

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-screen-shot-2015-12-18-10.18.00-am.jpg  

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-screen-shot-2015-12-18-10.17.21-am.jpg  

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-screen-shot-2015-12-18-10.19.55-am.jpg  

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-09.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice post! Send some snow my way (Michigan)!

1991 Trek Antelope 820
    2016 Trek Farley 9.8

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Farley 5 Carbon Fork Options?
    Ok, new to the Farley 5 (and the forum).. so two questions...
    (1) what options are there to put a carbon fork on it?
    I read here that it cannot be converted over to TA. Is the QR hub not convertible? Does this mean I can put on a new hub and use the spoke and rim? Or can I find a carbon fork to fit it? Can you help with a link to a hub that would work?
    And (2) Can I convert to TA? Or get a custom conversion?
    There is a carbon fork for sale online from a Trek 9 - wish I could just put it on and get TA. Your input and help is appreciated...

Rocking on a Rocky

Tapered hoboy carbon fat bike fork (quick release)

Quote Originally Posted by fat_biike_boy View Post
    Farley 5 Carbon Fork Options?
    Ok, new to the Farley 5 (and the forum).. so two questions...
    (1) what options are there to put a carbon fork on it?
    I read here that it cannot be converted over to TA. Is the QR hub not convertible? Does this mean I can put on a new hub and use the spoke and rim? Or can I find a carbon fork to fit it? Can you help with a link to a hub that would work?
    And (2) Can I convert to TA? Or get a custom conversion?
    There is a carbon fork for sale online from a Trek 9 - wish I could just put it on and get TA. Your input and help is appreciated...
    Tapered Hoboy Carbon Fat Bike Fork (Quick Release) | Sarma - siberian born fat bikes
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Roadie confession: the Farley is carefully pushing me into the darkside (MTB)

I can already predict I'll be doing 3-4 races this year with this thing. There's 1 coming up in January. My road coach is already complaining my absence in our winter program and someone ratted me out being on the trails this winter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Digging in the pain cave.
    Muddy session today.

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-far.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by KantoBoy View Post

I can already predict I'll be doing 3-4 races this year with this thing. There's 1 coming up in January. My road coach is already complaining my absence in our winter program and someone ratted me out being on the trails this winter.

Come............come..............

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by KantoBoy View Post

I sold my road bike after getting my first mountain bike 20 years ago.
    I got tired of close calls with cars, and the trail, being in nature is just so much better.
    Rare is the occasion when I miss the road bike, especially given where I live now.

mtbr member
    I sold my road bike after getting my first mountain bike 20 years ago.
    I got tired of close calls with cars, and the trail, being in nature is just so much better.
    Rare is the occasion when I miss the road bike, especially given where I live now.
    I took a bit of a wobble and bought the F5...and then a few weeks later at the direction of my girlfriend I bought a Giant Defy 0 road bike (deal was too good to miss). The Defy is still in the box and will come out once the weather improves but the Farley is getting a hammering every weekend. Loved the looks when I took it into the city centre for the commute. I've only seen 3 Fat Bikes in my country so far and mine was one of them!

XC
    Trail
    Road
    Fat...it's all cycling.

mtbr member
    I received by gorgeous Farley 9.6 on Friday. I rode it about 9 miles on one of our local trails and it was glorious. But it was not meant to be. After my ride sunday, I can say that I am probably the first to break a Farley carbon frame. I'll post pictures after I get word back on the warranty replacement. The frame cracked on the bottom of the top tube across the internal cable exit hole, as well as around the junction of the seat tube and seat stays.

The seat tube was properly inserted with at least 110mm of tube in the frame.

I'm pretty sad right now as this was my first carbon bike and it was such a joy to ride for those few miles. My Trek shop is taking care of it for now, hoping to hear back today on progress.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I toiled over this decision when purchasing a frame for my build, and this fear landed me with the 2016 alloy frame. Having to deal with warranty on Carbon Frames and Wheels just isn't for me. Even though I know this stuff is rare.

mtbr member
    I've had quite a few carbon frames and only one warranty replacement, which was no hassle and netted me the latest model year frame. Good manufacturers don't want to ship garbage product, and they will stand by their warranty or tarnish their brand.

Carbon isn't new anymore, and the stuff being built is plenty durable for its intended use. On the other hand, if you like to bang your gear on every trail obstacle in sight, and expect the manufacturer to warranty your impact damage, then maybe carbon isn't for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrone.minton View Post
    I received by gorgeous Farley 9.6 on Friday. I rode it about 9 miles on one of our local trails and it was glorious. But it was not meant to be. After my ride sunday, I can say that I am probably the first to break a Farley carbon frame. I'll post pictures after I get word back on the warranty replacement. The frame cracked on the bottom of the top tube across the internal cable exit hole, as well as around the junction of the seat tube and seat stays.

The seat tube was properly inserted with at least 110mm of tube in the frame.

I'm pretty sad right now as this was my first carbon bike and it was such a joy to ride for those few miles. My Trek shop is taking care of it for now, hoping to hear back today on progress.
    Sorry to hear about that i hope they fix you up fast. i have the 9.8 and almost 1000 mile on it no issues to date.

I would hate to be waiting for my bike to get fixed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    How are you guys liking the Barbegazi in wet/muddy conditions?

mtbr member
    I have nothing to compare them to on a fat bike - they're "ok" but I'm not especially impressed - They don't inspire me with confidence on real slop (they remind me of Maxxis Ardents on my skinny hardtail).

They are fine until it comes to really wet, clay slop (although, to be fair to them, I couldn't even stand where they ran out of grip last wekend!)

Plus points are that they don't seem to clog up, or carry mud into the frame.

I suspect running lower pressures would help (currently 5PSI front, 6PSI rear).

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post
    On the other hand, if you like to bang your gear on every trail obstacle in sight, and expect the manufacturer to warranty your impact damage, then maybe carbon isn't for you.

The same is true for almost any frame material.

J.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Its all relative to what you expect from them. Are they knarleylike a Bud/Lou -hell no! But they roll a lot easier. They are a good compromise, I've ridden them on snow a couple times. (Believe it or not, Michigan has had no snow to speak of so far this year, last year we had tons by this time and frozen lakes and rivers)
    I feel they are a good compromise, they are certainly wide as any 4.7 tire around. They have good float on loose sand too. They roll great on hard pack dirt and the sipeing helps. I personally like them for what they are, if you plan to be in loose snow or deep muddy trails then something with a more aggressive tread will be better at the expense of rolling resistance. It just depends on what you want them to do. I think they corner well and seem to be happy with low pressure as needed. On dry land I find for me 10F/11R is the sweet spot, but i weigh close to 200#. I have had them as low as 6/7 in snow with no trouble.

mtbr member
    FYI only. Not complaining or judging.

My free hub is being replaced on my 10 week old Farley 7. I think it was defective when new or shortly after. I heard ratcheting about every two miles within a few weeks of new. Brought it in and they adjusted the derail-er. Same noise two miles later. After trying to educate myself I realized it was likely the freehub. Took it back and they couldn't fix it. New one is waiting at the LBS.

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks Misterg and FT - Yeah they look like a decent compromise. I only have a hundred and change of upgrade budget left for now (after ordering a 29+ wheel set) so I'm trying to decide if that should go to a Bud for the front, and save the Barbegazzi I remove to replace the rear one at some point.

When it get's that sloppy though, that's when I won't be on the trail much if at all, so maybe I'll hold off on the Bud and ride the stock tires for a bit. Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks Misterg and FT - Yeah they look like a decent compromise. I only have a hundred and change of upgrade budget left for now (after ordering a 29+ wheel set) so I'm trying to decide if that should go to a Bud for the front, and save the Barbegazzi I remove to replace the rear one at some point.

When it get's that sloppy though, that's when I won't be on the trail much if at all, so maybe I'll hold off on the Bud and ride the stock tires for a bit. Thanks for the input.
    Yeah, depending on what up grades you have already got for your 7 besides the basics like pedals and different bars/grips. One of the best up grades i made so far is to get XT 8000 brakes. Does the 7 have Avids? I can't remember.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Yep, getting a set of 2016 XT brakes and Ice Tech rotors is the first thing I did, then the extra wheel set. (along with more rotors)
    That's why I'm sitting here with only $150 upgrade bucks left (actually in trade from a friend who owns a shop)

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-img_0448.jpg
    ck out Easton EC70 bars, also note some don't like the 70mm stock stem and go with a 60mm. I put a Thomson 60 on, I like it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Thanks, I'd forgotten the stock stem was 70mm - might have to deal with that first.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Any one have recommendations for touch up paint? I already managed to get a few decent sized scratches on my 7 today. Otherwise I might consider putting a few tasteful stickers over the scratches.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Why is it so hard to find a good professional review of the Farley 5? Is it too early?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by chesswiththedevil View Post
    Why is it so hard to find a good professional review of the Farley 5? Is it too early?
    Putting their best foot forward- Usually the manufacturers pass around their higher end bikes for reviews (i.e. 9.8), and the bikes that most people buy get little or no press.

It is unfortunate as the people buying the lower priced bikes are usually scrapping together the money to buy them and really could use the insight.
    ‘19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just want snow!!!!!

I can't get away from riding my Remedy when its hero dirt and 50* out here!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Putting their best foot forward- Usually the manufacturers pass around their higher end bikes for reviews (i.e. 9.8), and the bikes that most people buy get little or no press.

It is unfortunate as the people buying the lower priced bikes are usually scrapping together the money to buy them and really could use the insight.
    Damn, well I guess that makes some sense. That being said, professional bloggers could demo one, write 800 words and literally be the only one on the internet. Low hanging fruit clicks in my opinion. Hmmmm....

mtbr member
    I got one of these today for Christmas

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by glockrocket17 View Post
    I got one of these today for Christmas
    Name:  images.jpg
Views: 1547
Size:  6.6 KB
    Sweet bike homie!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chesswiththedevil View Post
    Name:  images.jpg
Views: 1547
Size:  6.6 KB
    Sweet bike homie!
    Thanks! Can't wait to get it on some trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've been out of mountain biking for a few years and was looking to get back in, but started looking at fat bikes. Am I understanding it correct that you can put 27.5 or 29" wheelset on a 26" fat bike for some single track riding? If so it's like 2 bikes in one to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fltrail View Post
    I've been out of mountain biking for a few years and was looking to get back in, but started looking at fat bikes. Am I understanding it correct that you can put 27.5 or 29" wheelset on a 26" fat bike for some single track riding? If so it's like 2 bikes in one to me.
    Yes this is true!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    This is true for most fat bike frames, however if you want to go with 29+ you need the rear sliding drop outs for them to fit. 27.5+ will fit with out sliding drop outs and they are very close to the same diameter as 26 x 4.

What I did was build up a Farley 5 Frame with a 26x4.7 wheel set and carbon fork for winter float, for summer I have a 27.5 x 3.8 wheel set and Bluto fork. I am too short to go with 29+ wheel set or that would have been my iorst choice. So I am 27.5 ++ LOL

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    That brings me to my next question. What does a Farley 5 weigh?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Question about the Farley 5 and a bluto -

I was out today with a friend that has a new Farley 5. Great bike, but he was asking me what would need to go into fixing it up with a Bluto and I have no idea. I'm also new to this whole fat bike thing.

Would he need a new front wheel, I can't find much info, do the stock wheels that come with the Farley 5 fit on any fork?

Thanks for any responses.

mtbr member
    That brings me to my next question. What does a Farley 5 weigh?
    Mine was about 15kg / 33lbs as it came from the shop with pedals and reflectors, etc. fitted.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Scads View Post

I was out today with a friend that has a new Farley 5. Great bike, but he was asking me what would need to go into fixing it up with a Bluto and I have no idea. I'm also new to this whole fat bike thing.

Would he need a new front wheel, I can't find much info, do the stock wheels that come with the Farley 5 fit on any fork?

Thanks for any responses.
    There may be spacer available I don't know for sure, but if so the front wheel may need to be re-dished to align the disc rotor too. The Bluto needs a 15MM thru axel. Or just buy a DT Swiss 150x15TA hub and re lace the front wheel and buy the bluto fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scads View Post

I was out today with a friend that has a new Farley 5. Great bike, but he was asking me what would need to go into fixing it up with a Bluto and I have no idea.

I don't believe there is any "official" way to make the stock front wheel work with the bluto - a new hub is the cleanest way to do it. (I'm annoyed at Trek for this...)

There are ways to 'make it work' - the stock front wheel on *my* bike has a hub that will take a 15mm axle if the QR end caps are removed (they just pull off, but you might need to pull quite hard). It seems to be the same as the Farley 6 / 8 front wheel.

You would then need to get some new end caps machined up. The dimensions in this post would be spot on for my Farley 5 (I have checked).

You would then also need to space the disc rotor out by (ideally) 7.5mm using proprietary spacers and new bolts. (Alternatively, there are offset caliper mounts vailable (Hauck??)).

The end caps above are symmetrical, so there's no need to re-dish the wheel. I am intrigued to find out if the Salsa spacers will work with these wheels (they are assymmetric so there is no need to space the disc rotor out, but the wheel would need re-dishing by 7.5mm in this case).

It is all do-able, but not ideal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Agree, nothing official but it is possible...

I got a Farley 5 for Christmas (thanks family!)... and before I get a new fork I wanted to prove out that making a new hub adapter would work. So on the Farley 6/8 forum there is a good diagram on the new hub... I took that drawing built it in TinkerCAD and then at 1am imported the stl file and sent it to my 3D printer. Too bad it is plastic and not a metal printer. And this morning I took off the wheel, put on the adapters and proved that the design will work on my Farley 5. I am going to find a machine shop that will make 10-20 of these for the Farley community. Anyone interested?

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-farley_2.jpg

2016 Trek Farley 5, 7, 9, 9.6, and 9.8 Fat Bikes-farley_1.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    All of a sudden, I drove by my LBS today and saw fat tire bikes on display. I know next to nothing about these toys. I went in on a whim and test rode a Farley 7. (I am one of the weirdo's who thinks the purple is cool) Came home and spent a long time reading the majority of this thread.

Naturally, there was only one thing left to do. I am happy to say I just placed an order for my own Farley 7! I will post pictures when she's ready.

I would like to thank all of you who have contributed to this thread. For if it wasn't for my mind living vicariously through your posts, reason would have surpassed desire and I would not have placed the order.

So thank you all for helping desire win!
    Last edited by tpdietz; 12-26-2015 at 08:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tpdietz View Post
    All of a sudden, I drove by my LBS today and saw fat tire bikes on display. I know next to nothing about these toys. I went in on a whim and test rode a Farley 7. (I am one of the weirdo's who thinks the purple is cool) Came home and spent a long time reading the majority of this thread.

Naturally, there was only one thing left to do. I am happy to say I just placed an order for my own Farley 7! I will post pictures when she's ready.

I would like to thank all of you who have contributed to this thread. For if it wasn't for my mind living vicariously through your posts, reason would surpassed desire and I would not have placed the order.

So thank you all for helping desire win!
    Congrats on the new whip that is always a fun day!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Congrats on the new whip that is always a fun day!!
    Thanks man!

On a side note, we might bump into each other in the near future. I live in Ann Arbor and believe I ride some of the same trails as you.
    Last edited by tpdietz; 12-26-2015 at 08:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Very cool another local fat biker!!! Poto was in good shape today!

mtbr member
    Your going to love it. I got my first ride today on my 7 an yankee springs trail on the other side of the state.

mtbr member
    Lmao all these Michigan fat bikers with no snow loving the bikes!!

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast