2016 Motobecane Boris the Brut Sprung Max Tires Size? Maxxis Colossus 26 x 4.8?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2016

2016 Motobecane Boris the Brut Sprung Max Tires Size? Maxxis Colossus 26 x 4.8?

I'm buying up parts to convert my stock tubed wheel setup to a tubeless configuration but stopped at buying new tires because I'm afraid they will rub.

My current tires are VeeTireCo Bulldozer 26 x 4.7 and would like to change them to Maxxis Colossus 26 x 4.8. The difference on paper is 0.1 inches but I know real world sizes can be very different than the product label.

Will these new tires fit on my bike and not rub? Has anyone mounted something like this on their Boris the Brut bike?

Looking for guidance.

Thanks!

-=- Boris

This place needs an enema
    The Vee tires are close to true to size.

The Maxxis tires are huge.

How much clearance do you have at the tightest spot now?

mtbr member
    May 2016

Tight spot clearances

I have two very tight spots. The first spot is between the chain and the rear tire sidewall when I am on my lowest gear.

2016 Motobecane Boris the Brut Sprung Max Tires Size? Maxxis Colossus 26 x 4.8?-20200603_135019.jpg

My crankset is a Race Face 22/36 that originally came with the bike.

The second spot is between a fork tube and a front tire knob.

2016 Motobecane Boris the Brut Sprung Max Tires Size? Maxxis Colossus 26 x 4.8?-20200603_135120.jpg

My rims are Mulefut 80 SL. They also came with the bike.

All depictions are approximate as I am trying to balance a ruler and phone at the same time. Good thing I wasn't chewing gum too!

Would a 4.8" tire be too big or would it be just barely big enough to clear these two spots?

I'm not hell bent on a Maxxis Colossus. The Bulldozer tires have been good to me except that my front tire is mis-shapen.

-=- Boris

At what tire pressures did you measure clearances? And, how old are the tires -- old enough to be fully stretched? Tubeless?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    My tires are inflated to 9 PSI.

I have been riding them for a little more than 4 years. These are the original tires from 2016. I would assume they are fully stretched.

They are not tubeless now. I want to go tubeless with a set of Maxxis Colossus 4.8 if they fit. If those are too big then I will probably get another set of Bulldozer tires unless there is a better alternative. The Bulldozers have been good to me in general.

The trails around my area are either extremely sandy or extremely rocky. So, I would like to have absolute the widest tire possible.

-=- Boris

Good info.

Colossus will fit when new for sure. Hard to say if it will fit when fully stretched. Likely, but not a guarantee.

I have some Colossus here, in stock, on closeout. If you want to try one (instead of committing to two) I'm happy to send one your way.

Hit me at mike dot curiak at gmail.