banned
    Aug 2016

2016 Fatboy comp

Picked one up in black on sale a couple months ago. Been riding for 30 years and have drank the low slack super short chainstay koolaid and must say that the fatboy is one of the most nimble, well balanced, and all around best handling bike I've owned. Way quicker in the tight twisties and super tight switchbacks than my koolaid machine and others that I've ridden. Specialized nailed it. It just plain works.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If my best bud didn't manage a Trek store that carried Borealis as well, that bike would have been on my very short list of potential new steeds. Sweet looking machine.

banned
    Aug 2016
    Yes it's a total trail attacker that descends equally well as it climbs. I broke my 2016 Kona Honzo frame a few months back and needed a bike to ride while waiting for Kona to get replacement frames. Figured I might as well get the Fatboy as I'd sold my old fatty and knew I'd want another for winter. Well the Fatboy climbs as well or better, descends as well, and corners WAAAAAAY better and faster. I grab less brake in the twisties and tight turny descents and much of it is due to geo and not just the amazing 4.6 GC's. Honzo is for sale

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aelf View Post
    Yes it's a total trail attacker that descends equally well as it climbs. I broke my 2016 Kona Honzo frame a few months back and needed a bike to ride while waiting for Kona to get replacement frames. Figured I might as well get the Fatboy as I'd sold my old fatty and knew I'd want another for winter. Well the Fatboy climbs as well or better, descends as well, and corners WAAAAAAY better and faster. I grab less brake in the twisties and tight turny descents and much of it is due to geo and not just the amazing 4.6 GC's. Honzo is for sale
    I have a Fatboy, too, and felt the way you do about it, but not seen too many persons post up with similar thoughts. When I've tested more slack bikes, I've immediately noticed that they weren't as nimble in twisties, tight switchbacks, or even berms, where I've had the sensation of the slacker bikes wanting to ride up over the top of the berm.

On the other hand, even though I'm not a "gonzo" downhiller, I've never felt that the Fatboy was unstable going over rough stuff, and my confidence and speed on downhills has increased with time. I haven't figured out what's not to like about it. Maybe at even higher speeds with rougher terrain, the shorter chainstains and shallower head angles become a noticeable asset. Or, maybe it's just a "personal taste" thing...

banned
    Aug 2016
    I think the brilliant handling comes from a combo of all angles and lengths of this and that working together perfectly. So balanced and stable at speed. Was so refreshing to get back on a 70+ degree HA. Wicked quick Kung fu handling. 40mm longer CS length than my other bike and my smile only got wider.