Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Trek93
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    3

    2016 Farley 9.6 vs 2019 Farley 7

    I have a 2016 Farley 9.6 stock with Gnarwals, I just got the bike recently and havenít had any snow to use it in yet, just rode some dirt trails. I have an opportunity to purchase a 2019 Farley 7 barely used for a good price. Is it worth the change? Iím considering it because the suspension fork would be cool and itís newer. But itís heavier, not carbon and components donít look like an upgrade to me. Any input?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    791
    does that 2016 model still fit the 27.5x4.5 tires and have the sliding dropouts? if it does there is no way I would swap them out. that 9.6 is all carbon and probably has a pretty good build kit on it. does your 9.6 have carbon rims? I don't see any way I would be swapping to the 7.

  3. #3
    Trek93
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    3
    Yes it has 27.5x4.5 gnarwals on it with aluminum jackalope rims. I looked up the dropout and it says ď197mm Stranglehold adjustable thru axle dropoutsĒ. Main negative is Avid brakes and no dropper. The drivetrain is sram GX 1x11. The 7 has shimano 1x11 but really the only benefit it has is the suspension fork.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedalon2018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    428
    Keep the 9 and buy the 7. Build it up over time and make it great for your Friends or significant other to ride with you. Suspension on real fat tires was over kill for me, way over kill. I have a 6 modded out with a SRAM 1x 10-42 and an oval 32 and XTR shifter. Carbon fork. Super fun with studded tires.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tunalic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    543
    I thought long and hard over putting a mastodon on my 9.6 but decided I love the lightness of it too much. I just found a good deal on some XT brakes and a nice deal on a 2018 Stache 7


    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer (27.5+ Alfine 8 spd)

  6. #6
    Trek93
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    3
    Very nice, how do you like the stache 7 compared to the Farley?

    My primary bike is a 2018 fuel ex 9.8 and Farley is so much different feeling. Like riding the back of a school bus vs riding a plush sedan

  7. #7
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    12,718
    Why not put a Mastodon and dropper on your existing bike.

    I'm not an "all carbon, all the time" guy, but I prefer the damp ride of my carbon Farley to the slightly harsher feel of my old alu Farley.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tunalic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by trek93 View Post
    Very nice, how do you like the stache 7 compared to the Farley?
    Well, I have the Farley mainly for riding the many miles of beaches I ride in the FL panhandle. The Stache is for riding the rooty and sandy trails in South GA and North FL. It's the 1st non-rigid mtn bike for me. So far I've only had 3 short rides but love how it feels. Right now the Farley puts the biggest grin on my face!
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer (27.5+ Alfine 8 spd)

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,459

    2016 Farley 9.6 vs 2019 Farley 7

    Farley 9.6 for winter and get a plus for summer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedalon2018's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunalic View Post
    Well, I have the Farley mainly for riding the many miles of beaches I ride in the FL panhandle. The Stache is for riding the rooty and sandy trails in South GA and North FL. It's the 1st non-rigid mtn bike for me. So far I've only had 3 short rides but love how it feels. Right now the Farley puts the biggest grin on my face!
    How does your wheels stand up to the salt water? I ride the beaches of Lake Michigan which is all fresh water.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tunalic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    How does your wheels stand up to the salt water? I ride the beaches of Lake Michigan which is all fresh water.
    So far I have yet to have any problems after 2.5 yrs. I am planning to repack the bearings with the blue Yamaha Marine grease before spring.
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer (27.5+ Alfine 8 spd)

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swerny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,964
    Quote Originally Posted by trek93 View Post
    I have a 2016 Farley 9.6 stock with Gnarwals, I just got the bike recently and havenít had any snow to use it in yet, just rode some dirt trails. I have an opportunity to purchase a 2019 Farley 7 barely used for a good price. Is it worth the change? Iím considering it because the suspension fork would be cool and itís newer. But itís heavier, not carbon and components donít look like an upgrade to me. Any input?
    You won't be gaining anything.

    If you want suspension, like Mikesee said, just get a fork and dropper for your current bike.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

Similar Threads

  1. New Farley 5 2018 vs used Farley 9.6 2016
    By cyclynn in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2018, 10:02 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-12-2018, 07:58 AM
  3. 2016 rsd mayor or 2016 Farley 5
    By Paco taco in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-30-2017, 09:28 AM
  4. 2016 Canyon Dude CF 9.0 vs. 2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    By Sasadrzak47 in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2016, 11:35 PM
  5. 2015 Farley 6 or 2016 Farley 5?
    By jgdblue in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-24-2015, 04:41 PM

Members who have read this thread: 56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.