Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes

Anybody see the pics of the 2 new Trek Farleys coming out this August? I spoke to the owner of my LBS yesterday and I had him pre order me the Farley 6. I'd really like to get the 8 but I just can't justify spending 3 grand on a fat bike, at least right now. The 6 retails for $1700 and that's a great price.

My current bike--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.

mtbr member

I hate that name.
    Those are the artist renderings. Actual bikes:
    2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-farley-8.jpg
    2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-farley6.jpg
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I was going to say, expect the wheels to explode the first time you stop with radial lacing and fat tire traction!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Without a chain you would not have to worry. Lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by syntheticreality View Post
    I was going to say, expect the wheels to explode the first time you stop with radial lacing and fat tire traction!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member

I knew those pics are artists renderings but that's all I could find. My LBS had the real pics like Blunderbuss showed. I can't wait till they come in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNC Native
    Those rims & tires look interesting!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member

Farley 6 Specs

Farley 8 Specs

banned
    Sep 2008
    Avid hydros=yuck.

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Agreed but if you get a chance to try the new SRAM Guide RSC brakes take the chance. I got a set last week and they are fantastic! I went into it with the lowest of expectations and after one ride I was sold. You know what makes a GREAT bike part? You never think about it while you're riding, just use it and rip.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Avid hydros=yuck.

rog
    I couldn't agree with you more. A couple weeks before my bike comes in I'm ordering a set of XT's. My wife's Superfly had Avids and they were beyond horrible.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Agreed but if you get a chance to try the new SRAM Guide RSC brakes take the chance. I got a set last week and they are fantastic! I went into it with the lowest of expectations and after one ride I was sold. You know what makes a GREAT bike part? You never think about it while you're riding, just use it and rip.
    Your not the first person whose told me these new brakes are great, but after 2 bad experiences with Sram brakes I'm done. I've had great luck with Shimano brakes I don't even bother with any other brakes.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    another thing that makes a GREAT bike part is zero/wicked easy maintenance and longevity.

bb7 brakes and surly stainless steel rings and cogs for examples. as soon as my promax deciphers die (need ANY futzing with) on my charge (amazing brakes btw, easily as good as slx/xt hyros), bb7's will take over. my 10 year old indy fab ti 29er had bb7's for all 10 years with just pad replacements and new delta coated cables once every 3 years or so.

i'll have to grab lever on some of those guides at some point.

you sell both trek and special ed, right?

rog

mtbr member
    3.8 tires...

Anyone know how large you'll be able to go?
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVaz View Post
    3.8 tires...

Anyone know how large you'll be able to go?
    From reviews of the original Farley (same frame I believe) I don't think you can go wider on the rear but possibly a bit wider on the front.

I was really fancying a fat bike last year as a winter bike (it looks like I'm in good company as my current MTB is a 2014 Fuel Ex8 29er) but there weren't really any available for sale nor any I was interested in. My preference is towards Trek and the Farley looks good, I'm wanting it for wet muddy trails over the winter and not sure whether the Farley tyre is on the small side? On the other hand the reviews seem to favour the Farley as a trail bike which is what I'm interested in rather than a solid tourer. I was looking at the Specialized Fatboy (which I wasn't able to get anywhere and don't know about the 2015 version) which has the huge tyres although I think the Farley might be a better trail bike.

Then there's the 6 vs 8 - I'm thinking there's not much point in me going for the 8, I'm not fussed about the 1x11 drivetrain (too pricey for a wear and tear part) and prefer the Deore XT on the 6. I'm not sure about the suspension, obviously I'd prefer not to have it for a winter bike but then I'm perhaps not a good enough rider. However the 6 is cheap enough I think it's worth going for it and adding a suspension fork later if I really need it.

John

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcL7 View Post
    From reviews of the original Farley (same frame I believe) I don't think you can go wider on the rear but possibly a bit wider on the front.

Then there's the 6 vs 8 - I'm thinking there's not much point in me going for the 8, I'm not fussed about the 1x11 drivetrain (too pricey for a wear and tear part) and prefer the Deore XT on the 6. I'm not sure about the suspension, obviously I'd prefer not to have it for a winter bike but then I'm perhaps not a good enough rider. However the 6 is cheap enough I think it's worth going for it and adding a suspension fork later if I really need it.

John

I've read in some of the posts on the original Farley of guys putting on a 4" tire in the rear.

As far as your reasons for wanting the 6 over the 8, I agree With you 100%. If I feel I eventually want a front suspension fork I can add it for a lot less. Yea I'm sure I'd have to do something with the front hub either replace it or maybe there are spacers, I'll worry about that when the time comes.

mtbr member
    The only reason I buy prebuilt bikes is to save on all the little stuff on the bike( using the bike compeny's buying power). I see no savings here. Big let down from Trek imo.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTCLIME View Post
    The only reason I buy prebuilt bikes is to save on all the little stuff on the bike( using the bike compeny's buying power). I see no savings here. Big let down from Trek imo.
    Totally agree with you. I ALWAYS buy my bikes already prebuilt factory. Your not saving anything the other way in the long run..
    Trek Equinox 9.9 TTL, Trek Madone 6.9 Project One, Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Fuel 9.0, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9,BGXX1

mtbr member
    Looks to me like Trek is hoping to make a little cash on the next mtb "fad" with big markups....FB riders need to remember that they are buying hartails...and for the most part, no suspension.....that needs to be in the price tag now that the big makers are getting into the market....again...jmo
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I don't find Trek are good value for money (at least in the UK) but the reason I buy them is I find their after sale service is very good. That said, I think the Farley 6 is good value for money, ok it doesn't have suspension but the tyres/wheels are more expensive and at the moment the package has fairly new custom parts whereas the £1000 hardtails are very popular and sold in large numbers.

Comparatively the Farley 6 is quite reasonable among other fat bikes, I don't know about the 8 as there's no others with its configuration. The Farley 6 is available here for just under £1200, the Genesis Caribou is £1500 and it is a 1x10 using Deore (the Farley 6 has a Deore XT rear derailleur), the OnOne Fatty is £1000 but has a cheaper drive train (all Sram X5) and the quality of some of the parts is questionable, the Specialized Fatboy is a better spec but the base one is around £2000 and the Expert £2500 (neither have suspension).

I think I'm going to put an order in for one as the cost is a lot more reasonable than I was expecting and I don't really know what spec is going to suit me best until I try one properly. I was concerned about the not so fat tyres but then I didn't realise the Genesis Caribou has the same size (I think, Surly Nates), I've a couple of friends who are big fans of the Caribou for trail riding so hopefully the Farley will be good.

John

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I decided to go ahead and order a Farley 6, I was thinking of waiting to see what Specialized offer for 2015 but I think it's unlikely they'll beat the Trek on price and the Farley's narrower tyres seem good for trail riding. Plus ultimately I don't know if this is for me or not until I try it.

John

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Planning on ordering a Farley this week, I'm currently riding a 18.5 inch superfly and I'm 5ft 10 inches. Can anyone recommend frame size on the Farley (either 17.5 or 19.5)? I've read that they seem to run small, can anyone confirm or advise? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcL7 View Post
    I decided to go ahead and order a Farley 6, I was thinking of waiting to see what Specialized offer for 2015 but I think it's unlikely they'll beat the Trek on price and the Farley's narrower tyres seem good for trail riding. Plus ultimately I don't know if this is for me or not until I try it.

John
    I did the opposite. I've been a lifelong Trek fan, since owning a 820 as my first real bike 20 years ago. I was just about to order a Farley until I demoed a Fatboy. I loved the handling of the Fatboy, better components, and most of all the ability to run bigger tires. Granted all of this cost more, but I figured I'd rather pay now than be second guessing later.

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTCLIME View Post
    Looks to me like Trek is hoping to make a little cash on the next mtb "fad" with big markups....FB riders need to remember that they are buying hartails...and for the most part, no suspension.....that needs to be in the price tag now that the big makers are getting into the market....again...jmo
    Really? The Farley 6 costs less than a Pugs and has better specs. The original 2014 Farley was indeed overpriced, supposedly because Trek got very little oem discount on the Surly rims and tires from QBP. Now that they have options, the price is much more reasonable.

mtbr member
    Has anyone yet took delivery of the new Farley8..?
    Trek Equinox 9.9 TTL, Trek Madone 6.9 Project One, Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Fuel 9.0, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9,BGXX1

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekmogul View Post
    Has anyone yet took delivery of the new Farley8..?
    I don't think they are in stock yet ...I'll be ordering a six as soon as they are.
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member

Some shops have them in stock. I was at a shop in Chicago over the weekend and they had 4 of the Farley 6. The 8 will be next month i was told.

mtbr member

I rode an 8 today, I didn't think I'd like it having never ridden a fat bike before, but I'm in love and am seriously considering buying. My local shop has 9 in stock at the moment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    I rode an 8 today, I didn't think I'd like it having never ridden a fat bike before, but I'm in love and am seriously considering buying. My local shop has 9 in stock at the moment.
    They had how many Farley8's in stock? I ordered mine back in June and its still not here yet.

mtbr member

They had how many Farley8's in stock? I ordered mine back in June and its still not here yet.
    4 8's and 5 6's. This is in the UK however.
    Last edited by Just J; 09-03-2014 at 06:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by befoot View Post
    I don't think they are in stock yet ...I'll be ordering a six as soon as they are.
    Hi I'm a noob on here but got an 8 this week, never ridden a Fatbike before and have only done some light trails/messing around but loving it so far - it's a hoot! looks like you could probably go up to a 4" tyre on the rear if anyone cares. I got the 19.5 frame which was hard to find. Trek told me no more deliveries to the UK until 19th Jan '15 so I phoned around... A lot. Stu

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S2bear View Post
    Hi I'm a noob on here but got an 8 this week, never ridden a Fatbike before and have only done some light trails/messing around but loving it so far - it's a hoot! looks like you could probably go up to a 4" tyre on the rear if anyone cares. I got the 19.5 frame which was hard to find. Trek told me no more deliveries to the UK until 19th Jan '15 so I phoned around... A lot. Stu
    Peddlers in Redcar by any chance?...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Peddlers in Redcar by any chance?...
    No it was Chevin Harrogate. Very nice chaps and just as well I got there at closing time rather than opening time as I'd have left with more things, it was just like when I was a kid in the local BMX store! 😁

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S2bear View Post
    No it was Chevin Harrogate. Very nice chaps and just as well I got there at closing time rather than opening time as I'd have left with more things, it was just like when I was a kid in the local BMX store! 😁
    Phew I thought you'd got in there before me for a moment!

Enjoy your new bike, they certainly are lots of fun!

mtbr member
    Anyone put a 29+ setup on one of these?
    Tried a Google search but didn't come up with much.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Farley 6

Picked up the Farley 6 yesterday. My first fat bike and first post on mtbr after years of lurking. Almost pulled the trigger on a Moto Lurch or Framed Alaskan but decided on this instead. Planning to add some carbon bits, 1x10, XT pedals / Spank Spikes for winter. Maybe tubeless or lighter tubes.

Size 17.5 with the new mulefut rims, hodag tires, beater alloy pedals, and reflectors weighed in at 32.16 lbs. It came with an XO front der instead of the X5 listed on Trek's website.

Here's a quick shot... will post some better pics soon. Probably won't get to ride until end of week.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by wuchadwi View Post
    Picked up the Farley 6 yesterday. My first fat bike and first post on mtbr after years of lurking. Almost pulled the trigger on a Moto Lurch or Framed Alaskan but decided on this instead. Planning to add some carbon bits, 1x10, XT pedals / Spank Spikes for winter. Maybe tubeless or lighter tubes.

Size 17.5 with the new mulefut rims, hodag tires, beater alloy pedals, and reflectors weighed in at 32.16 lbs. It came with an XO front der instead of the X5 listed on Trek's website.

Here's a quick shot... will post some better pics soon. Probably won't get to ride until end of week.

Awe Man your killing me!!!! I ordered my Farley 6 in 21.5" size back in June and it won't be here until mid October. I've seen smaller sizes in a few shops but not mine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Ah yea the 17.5 was the only one the shop near me had and I didn't preorder it, just walked in an bought. Wonder what takes so long for the other sizes. At least you'll get it right in time for winter!

Quote Originally Posted by Robg68 View Post
    Awe Man your killing me!!!! I ordered my Farley 6 in 21.5" size back in June and it won't be here until mid October. I've seen smaller sizes in a few shops but not mine.

mtbr member

Re: 2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes

Wow, that 6 is sharp in that color! Love the continuous top tube/seat stay and shorter rear end. Looks slacker in front than it is(70°). Not a fan of the green 8.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Do you mind me asking how tall you are? I'm still debating on the 17.5 or 19.5. I'm 5'10"
    Looks great by the way!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm 5'10" as well, 32" inseam, average to long arms. I also rode last years Farley in 19.5" and it didn't feel overly large in terms of reach or standover. The steering response felt slightly slower but not by much. I ride 17-18" on 29er hardtails as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bourns74 View Post
    Do you mind me asking how tall you are? I'm still debating on the 17.5 or 19.5. I'm 5'10"
    Looks great by the way!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

more pics

Rode at some construction areas in my condo complex and through a short walking trail. Cannot wait to take it on singletrack and snow. Tires seem nice but I dont have any experience with other fat tires. Maybe add a bluto next year but holding off until I have a better feel for fat biking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I picked up my preordered Farley 8 on August 29. I have about 400 miles on it so far and really like it. It's been really wet here in the Chicago area, so it's mostly been on rail trail, turf and mud.

2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-img_0396.jpg

Three years on a PUG, ride everyday with my dog.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    what do you think of the tires after 400mi?

mtbr member
    Local LBS just got one in, gonna go ride it. And how about those wheels/tires after 400 miles? Or more by now!

Edit: also, what did you pay for it?

a-o
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    What is the weight for Farley 6&8?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I weighed my Farley 8 and it seems to be about 31lb all in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My 17.5 Farley 6 weighed a hair above 32 lb with pedals. I would estimate the Farley 8 to be close... Lighter 1x11, supposedly lighter wheels, heavier bluto... you do the math

Can someone with an 8 weigh theirs?

EDIT: too slow.. see post above me.. nice weight on the 8!

mtbr member
    Did you pay $1700 for the 6? That's a steal!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    $1700+sales tax=$1800. I thought earlier reports said the msrp was supposed to be $1700 but maybe the high demand caused trek to increase it to $1869.

Either way I thought it was a good deal and totally worth it. I rode about 8 miles on some single track and loved it. Took a bit more effort since I am used to a hardtail carbon 29er and haven't rode rigid since I had a bmx bike. Still need to mess around with tire pressures to see what I like.

mtbr member
    Awesome, glad to hear. The Trek site says $1869, so hopefully I'll be able to do $1700. I think the dude said he had other people asking about it so who knows.

It does look like a fantastic deal. I was pretty much sold on the Muk 2 for $2k, but this may change my mind assuming I like the feel/ride.

a-o
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the weight info, I'm trying to make decission between Farley 6,8 or specialized fatboys..
    We did order Farley 6 for my wife, and it should arrive next week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by a-o View Post
    Thanks for the weight info, I'm trying to make decission between Farley 6,8 or specialized fatboys..
    We did order Farley 6 for my wife, and it should arrive next week.
    Those weights sound fairly close to the Spec. Fatboy. My size L (19") Fatboy weighs in at 31lbs with pedals. I did cheat and swap in a carbon Easton Seatpost...

I looked long & hard @ the Trek Farley, but for a similar cost the Fatboy has clearance for wider tires (up to 5") and a carbon fork. That's what won it out for me. The Farley, Fatboy, and new (2015) Kona Wo all seem like solid competitors to the traditional Surleys and Salsas that have dominated the Fatbike market for the past few years.
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

mtbr member
    I'm so excited on picking my 8 up on the next week or so, I've got some green Raceface Atlas pedals and crank boots coming for it with the intention to get used to flat pedals again. This is going to be my fun bike where Strava does not apply. Going to use it on the beach too and I'll have my fingers crossed for a snowy winter. Can't wait!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by wuchadwi View Post
    My 17.5 Farley 6 weighed a hair above 32 lb with pedals. I would estimate the Farley 8 to be close... Lighter 1x11, supposedly lighter wheels, heavier bluto... you do the math

Can someone with an 8 weigh theirs?

EDIT: too slow.. see post above me.. nice weight on the 8!
    I weighed the 21" demo bike last week and it was a smidge over 31.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    Awesome, glad to hear. The Trek site says $1869, so hopefully I'll be able to do $1700. I think the dude said he had other people asking about it so who knows.

It does look like a fantastic deal. I was pretty much sold on the Muk 2 for $2k, but this may change my mind assuming I like the feel/ride.
    Considering a closeout Muk 2 myself so will be interested to hear about your experience.

mtbr member
    What kind of closeout price are you looking at? They made reference to not being able to go lower than what Salsa allows. Not sure if that is BS or not. Either way, that bike was sweet, but a bit more than I wanted to pay (wanted to tell my wife I paid).

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    What kind of closeout price are you looking at? They made reference to not being able to go lower than what Salsa allows. Not sure if that is BS or not. Either way, that bike was sweet, but a bit more than I wanted to pay (wanted to tell my wife I paid).
    Last time I looked it was around $1,979 or something at a LBS...but went off sale. Sure I could get them back down to it since it's a demo model - then again I guess any one of a kind bikes left in stock are technically demos at this point. At my regular LBS, there's also a black Moonlander and Pugsley Special Ops for around $2k. I need to get to "the House" here locally and look and ride the options from Framed...not sure how to reconcile the differences in price but know I want to do zero upgrades other than stuff like a frame bag and winter riding clothes...

mtbr member
    I went up to The House (from Eau Claire) rode the Minnesota 2.0 and thought the Mukluk rode much better. Twice as much better? I'm not sure, but I crossed the 2.0 off the list in favor of the Alaskan Alloy. I did have a very brief seat on a large prototype AK Alloy (I usually ride medium) and was sold on that. The more I thought about it, the more I felt better about buying something local, riding it before buying it, hence the budget getting bumped up to swing a Muk 2 potentially. Now a Trek Farley might be available soon, so I'm stoked on that. And the AK Alloy isn't due until December.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I went up to The House (from Eau Claire) rode the Minnesota 2.0 and thought the Mukluk rode much better. Twice as much better? I'm not sure, but I crossed the 2.0 off the list in favor of the Alaskan Alloy. I did have a very brief seat on a large prototype AK Alloy (I usually ride medium) and was sold on that. The more I thought about it, the more I felt better about buying something local, riding it before buying it, hence the budget getting bumped up to swing a Muk 2 potentially. Now a Trek Farley might be available soon, so I'm stoked on that. And the AK Alloy isn't due until December.
    I hear that. I'm no wrench-head. And I'm in Minnesota, so there's no way I'm waiting until December....snow is going to fly long before that. I guess the bottom line is that when I buy anything (clothes, tools, synthesizers, whatever), I am rarely disappointed if I choose the quality item and buy local where the person that sold it to me stands behind it. I like the Pugs and Moonlander. I really like the Mukluk 2, and not just for the stunning orange paint - it feels true, sure and light...but it was the LBS guy that demo'd the Mukluk to me that said to wait and try a new Farley. I don't think I'd regret buying any of those...but I'll probably still give the Framed stuff a chance. In either case...I need to start making some decisions...good luck with yours :-)

mtbr member
    Thanks man, good luck with your fattie search. A note about wrenching on bikes, I'm not totally mechanically inclined either, and am kind of an impatient ********, but I've started tinkering with my bikes a little bit, and that's been kind of rewarding, fixing a front derailleur, fixing a rear derailleur, getting more familiar with how bikes work, stuff like that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks. Once I make room in the garage/purchase the fattie, I'm getting a basic toolkit (like this one perhaps?)

Nashbar Essential Tool Kit - Normal Shipping Ground and aim to spend some quality time with You Tube learning basic stuff. to maintain it.

My current bike is a Giant Escape hybrid and I've got it dialed in so I am afraid to mess with it but I'm thinking of buying a used CL bike to learn/experiment/Frankenstein with...

mtbr member
    Ha, yep, that's exactly what I did - dick around with a beater bike, gave me the confidence to try to fix the shifting on my cross bike. Took an afternoon of anger lol, but it shifts nice now!

mtbr member
    I was able to chisel my LBS down to 2400.00 plus tax on my new Farley8 or i was not going to buy it. I figured he can make it up in volume on others.. I would never consider paying full retail for nothing and htat includes bikes..

aka bOb
    I was able to chisel my LBS down to 2400.00 plus tax on my new Farley8 or i was not going to buy it. I figured he can make it up in volume on others..
    Oh look douche bag is back and in typical form.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Local LBS just got one in, gonna go ride it. And how about those wheels/tires after 400 miles? Or more by now!

Edit: also, what did you pay for it?
    Yeap, more now. I ride 1-2hours weekdays and 3-4 weekends.

I like them so far. I ride horse trails most of the time. Hold pretty well in the mud and everythings good on turf. Still haven't ridden any technical hardpack. It's been really wet and none of the santioned trails are open very often.

2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-img_0326.jpg

31lbs. without pedals for the 15.5"

$3K to the LBS/LSS. I get better deals from them on skis and didn't really mind them making some money on the hot new thing.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Is anybody getting an Xl I ordered mine in July and Trek is still saying mid-late Oct.Just wondering what others have been told?

mtbr member

Re: 2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Hallett6103 View Post
    Is anybody getting an Xl I ordered mine in July and Trek is still saying mid-late Oct.Just wondering what others have been told?
    I just ordered a Farley 6, sz-21.5 today and was told Oct 6th they ship...
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Hallett6103 View Post
    I ordered the Farley-6 in 21.5"back in June, and mine is not coming in till October.

mtbr member
    Test rode on Friday, and bought the Farley. Dudes at the shop trimmed the bars and sent me home with a fat bike! Note that it came with 27tpi Husker Dus rather than the Hodags, totally fine with me.

Context: I ride (now rode) a 2013 Specialized Rockhopper primarily. Looking for a fatbike for winter, and probably trail riding. Have test-ridden just about every fatbike up to $2k (including 2014 Muk 2) in parking lots and roads.

First weekend thoughts: Amazing. At the shop, I immediately got firm in the pants upon mounting it. Took it out for a while, and the dudes said it ran small, so I took out the large and decided the medium fit is a bit better (I'm 5'10ish and maybe 31ish inseam). But I suggest taking out multiple sizes if you can, depending on your preference.

Took it to the trail on Saturday and I was almost in tears. It felt like cheating. I will probably be upgrading the grips to something more ergo, and might add a Bluto next year.

Good news: The Farley is way more than what I hoped it would be. I kept noticing the smile on my face when I was riding.

Bad/good news: My wife took it for a spin and now wants one. Bluto funds will possibly be redirected to a fat bike for her.

Bottom line: The Farley gets my vote for best fat bike value; I could not be happier. Plus, seeing my wife ride it while wearing my Integrity (awesome 90's hardcore punk band) hoodie is an image I will never (want to) forget.

Edit: pictures coming soon!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Glad you like it! I have about 50 miles on mine now... still loving it. Make sure you play around with air pressure as it makes a big difference in the ride feel and handling. Weak point of the bike is the brakes, will use them til they die and put some XTs on. Also ordered up an Easton EC70 carbon bar low rise for $70. Planning to put on yellow ESI chunky grips. Both these should help smooth the ride a bit as I'm still getting used to rigid.

From my ride today:

mtbr member
    Awesome. Haha yeah, going from a crappy Suntour suspension fork to rigid was kinda tough. Good call, may look at carbon bars, could be nice in the winter as I've heard that they don't get cold like steel or aluminum.

Agreed 100% on the brakes. They seem fine, but come across as the cheapest spec. Everything else is awesome though.

I did tinker with the pressure, but have no idea about PSI, just went by feel, haha. What are you running, and do you suggest a specific pressure gauge? I have a couple pumps already so I'd be in the market for a gauge.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I actually went by feel too. I had the shop set to 10psi when I bought it, and since I've aired down maybe to 8psi in front, and prob 9 in rear. I am actually looking into a gauge as well so I can get everything exact and run consistent pressures.

A quick search found this electronic one, but maybe there's a better option. GOing to keep searching.
    Topeak® Cycling Accessories ? Products - SmartGauge D2

Edit: this one by SKS looks decent too, a little cheaper
    Amazon.com : SKS Airchecker Digital Presta and Schrader Pressure Gauge : Bike Pack Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

aka bOb

I immediately got firm in the pants

I was almost in tears.
    Funny I once knew a dancer back in the day that could do the same thing to a man and that would only cost you 20 clams.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Funny I once knew a dancer back in the day that could do the same thing to a man and that would only cost you 20 clams.
    Bet she wasn't a fatty tho

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    For cheap and effective gauge, go to your local atv shop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Test rode on Friday, and bought the Farley.

Congrats on your choice...what made it better than the Mukluk 2 in your opinion?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Really interested in the Mukluk Comparison, thinking about pulling the trigger on the 8.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I got my Farley 8 earlier this week. It is setup with tubes, but it seems silly to keep it that way considering everything is ready to go tubeless.

Has anyone set theirs up tubeless yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaxmalloy View Post
    Congrats on your choice...what made it better than the Mukluk 2 in your opinion?
    I'm not sure if anything really made it "better" than the Mukluk 2. I sat on it and it immediately felt the way I hoped it would feel, and when I was riding it, the PUMP levels were high.

And it was $250 cheaper, which wasn't a deal-breaker, but I really did want to keep everything below $2k. That's not to say that I was influenced much by the price, but it was a warm fuzzy. Both awesome bikes, just personal preference, really.

Note to Natedeezy, I was looking at a 2014 Muk 2, and bought a Farley 6. I don't have much to share about the Bluto-equipped Muks and Farleys, other than the Farley felt more mountain bike-y than the Mukluk.

Also, I will be throwing a Bluto on it next year.

mtbr member
    The photo apparently wasnts to get uploaded sideways.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-bike-1.jpg  

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    I was able to chisel my LBS down to 2400.00 plus tax on my new Farley8 or i was not going to buy it. I figured he can make it up in volume on others.. I would never consider paying full retail for nothing and htat includes bikes..
    It'll look great parked in your house.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aizu1 View Post
    It'll look great parked in your house.
    Yah the stable is getting over run with all this scrap metal and plastic bikes. Busy keeping them all polished and dust free

a-o
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The photo apparently wasnts to get uploaded sideways.
    Tyriverag, Nice bike
    Did your bike arrive with Husker Du tyres? Or did you already change the?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by a-o View Post
    Tyriverag, Nice bike
    Did your bike arrive with Husker Du tyres? Or did you already change the?
    Thanks! Nope, it came with the Husker Dus. I guess they ran out of the Hodags it was supposed to come with. Fine with me though, I was happy to have a proven awesome tire, instead of a new offering. Though I'm sure the Hodags are pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Note to Natedeezy, I was looking at a 2014 Muk 2, and bought a Farley 6. I don't have much to share about the Bluto-equipped Muks and Farleys, other than the Farley felt more mountain bike-y than the Mukluk.

Also, I will be throwing a Bluto on it next year.
    Kinda What I was hoping to hear, hoping to kill two birds so to speak. Hopefully will see one of these with a set of 29+ soon.

mtbr member
    I know 29+ fits on the Muks, but I'm not sure about the Farley, not a lot of clearance with the FD. Not an issue for me as the Farley is exactly what I was looking for. May throw 29er tires on at some point, but after riding it hard this weekend, I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT!

RIDE TO LIVE
    Anyone with a Farley 8 weigh their bike yet? I just ordered one but the shop guessed the weight is in the 32lb range.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I ordered my Farley 6 a couple of months ago and it came in last week, came with the Bontrager Hodag tyres:

Amusingly there's been a late heatwave here but I couldn't resist taking the fat bike out anyway and so far I'm really enjoying it. It floats so well through heavy mud and gets so much traction it feels like cheating while the rest of the group picked their way round the side. What surprised me was the agility and speed of the bike, I thought it would feel like a real tank but the front comes up very easily and the big tyres really encourage you to throw it around...I was surprised to find I set personal bests on two downhill sections with the fat bike that I've ridden frequently on my other bikes.

I'm having a few twinges in my wrist although I'm hoping that's just getting used to riding rigid which is a first for me. I'm not keen on the brakes as they feel more like mechanical brakes but then that's perhaps just because I'm used to the more immediate feel of Shimano brakes. I think the bike is good value though so don't mind forking out for new brakes.

John

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Get a carbon handlebar and some thicker handle bar grips it helps my wrists alot before i put my bluto on my Farley.

mtbr member
    Good call, I was thinking about those options before the Bluto. Need to play with the tire pressure now that I finally have a gauge.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackMamba2012 View Post
    Get a carbon handlebar and some thicker handle bar grips it helps my wrists alot before i put my bluto on my Farley.
    Is it a Farley 6 you have, if so how did you get the fork on the front wheel when the original is a quick release and the bluto is a through axle, new wheel? I'm a little concerned by the number of people putting the suspension forks on fat bikes, I bought the fat bike to avoid suspension through the winter. Guess I need to give it a few more rides and see how it goes, I haven't had major wrist pain just minor twinges.

I'm a bit sceptical of carbon bars, I have carbon forks on both my hybrid and road bikes which are meant to improve the ride comfort by smoothing out vibrations but both bikes have very hard rides.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    You'd at least need a new hub/spokes & swap the rim over. I thought about the Bluto myself, but can't justify it after buying a fuel less than 6 months ago.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LIV2RYD View Post
    Anyone with a Farley 8 weigh their bike yet? I just ordered one but the shop guessed the weight is in the 32lb range.
    31lb for the Farley 8 in 19.5" Frame with pedals.

mtbr member
    Guy at the shop advised that I could just add hub adapters and be good to add the Bluto. Maybe he was crazy.

You'd at least need a new hub/spokes & swap the rim over. I thought about the Bluto myself, but can't justify it after buying a fuel less than 6 months ago.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Anyone else having issues with the rim decals peeling on their Farley 8? Mine started peeling within a week and about 35kms of dry weather riding. No biggie I thought I'd tell the dealer and Trek would just send some new decals (at some point). They very kindly offered me some Bontrager kit instead but they won't commit to sending me any decals! I've asked them again but Trek said twice now that they don't know when they'll have any rims or decals. It's only stickers but it's part of the aesthetic appeal and on a £2300 bike they should last no? So anyone else having this issue? That aside... This bike is A LOT of fun!

mtbr member
    Guy at the shop advised that I could just add hub adapters and be good to add the Bluto. Maybe he was crazy.
    I'm not a expert, I was just repeating what I was told from a local trek dealer. He told me that he asked a Trek rep & thats what he told him.

So you could be right?
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    The Mukluk comes with 135 hubs up front and just takes the adapters to make it Bluto-ready, but those are Salsa hubs with Salsa adapters. Not sure if there is cross brand hub compatibility with the Bontrager hubs.

Otherwise if the dude at the LBS accidentally lied to me, he'll be eating a crowbar sandwhich.

I'm not a expert, I was just repeating what I was told from a local trek dealer. He told me that he asked a Trek rep & thats what he told him.

So you could be right?

mtbr member
    If be willing to bet it's salsa exclusive since the farley 6 hubs are generic.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

I hate that name.
    The Salsa hub adapters only work on the Salsa hub. They also offset the hub to the brake side for proper rotor positioning, which requires the wheel to be re-dished if it was originally built for 135, so not exactly plug and play.

Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast