Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    I hate that name.
    So I ordered my Farley 6 on Sunday. I'm in the late October eta camp. Also ordered a Bluto and Hope front hub, blue of course. Fork and hub are already at the shop waiting for me.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

RIDE TO LIVE
    Ordered a Farley 8 last monday. ETA is mid/late Nov. I hope it arrives sooner. Planning to upgrade the brakes to XT or Guide RS, some carbon bars/seatpost, set it u tubeless and let r rip!

mtbr member

Re: 2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    So I ordered my Farley 6 on Sunday. I'm in the late October eta camp. Also ordered a Bluto and Hope front hub, blue of course. Fork and hub are already at the shop waiting for me.
    How much savings was there instead of the farley 8???
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, blunderbuss. I get ahead of myself when thinking about upgrades, ha. Think I'm going to look at carbon handlebars first, maybe a fork, and dick around with the tire pressure a bit (a lot) more.

And besides, winter is only a couple months away.

Carbon fork - would it be worth it for a better ride? Not too concerned with weight savings.

mtbr member
    Also, the more I ride the bike, the more I like it.

I did notice a real slight self steer when I deflated the tires a bit (no idea what PSI, my gauge is being wonky, will sort this weekend), and usually only when I stand up while turning. Note my bike came with the 27 TPI HuDus, which seem to be great on the trail.

I think I am running probably a bit of a high PSI, as some of the dudes I ride with advised. But I kind of like it, doesn't seem to bounce too much on rooty/rocky stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LIV2RYD View Post
    Ordered a Farley 8 last monday. ETA is mid/late Nov. I hope it arrives sooner. Planning to upgrade the brakes to XT or Guide RS, some carbon bars/seatpost, set it u tubeless and let r rip!
    Are you a mind reader?? exactly what I was planning.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Noob here; I picked up a Trek X Cal 8 about a month ago to get in shape for dirtbike riding I started last summer, but last week test rode a Farley 6 and immediately traded the X Cal in for it! I love this thing!! Riding the same trails as I did on the X Cal with the Farley felt like cheating. So much traction with the tires aired down (have no idea, went by feel) it's redonkulous! It floats over crap so easily that used to beat me up on the 29'er. Only issue I've found is more pedal strikes. Not sure how much lower the BB is, or if the arms are longer or the tires squishing down...or all the above, but I do have to be careful of pedal position. Got caught a few times and stopped dead in my tracks! We have a lot of huge roots on the trails around here, and a lot of them!
    My low pressure gauge, Stan's sealant and tubeless valve stems should be there when I get home from work...can't wait! I put extra chunky ESI grips on and have no problems with sore wrists/hands or forearm pump either.
    All this talk about the Avids sucking....they seem to work fine for me, but maybe the Shimanos on the X Cal had more initial bite.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I feel the exact same way - it's like cheating! And I've noticed more pedal strikes too, def need to be more aware of pedal position.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I rationalized the purchase as being able to get out in the winter and ride in the snow. I figured it would be ok on the trails, just really slow, but so far I feel quite a bit quicker and more confident! I think Trek designed the Farley's to be on the sporty side of the fatbike spectrum. It would be nice if they made it capable of using the 5" tires though. We'll have to wait and see how it floats on the white stuff. I just hope this winter isn't as brutal as last year. Under 10 degrees I don't much care for....brrrrrrr.

I just remembered you said your bike came with the 27 TPI HD's; weird, mine has the 120's. It kinda freaked me out a little seeing the front tire wrinkle like a drag slick going over roots. I wonder how much difference in feel there is between the 2.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yikes! I just checked the pressure with the new Meissner gauge and had 3 in front and 3 1/2 in the rear. It's a wonder I didn't pinch flat out on the trail. So much for going by feel until I get a 'feel' for it! Those HD's must be some tough tires, unless it's lost air since Wednesday night. I Pumped them up to 14, I'll see if they stay there.

mtbr member
    Haha wow!

Do you have a link to your gauge? I'm having a bear of a time with the presta valves using the Planet Bike gauge I bought.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I got it from Treefortbikes. I went for the 0 to 15 lb. Figured it would be more accurate. They had a good price on the Stan's sealant too if you're interested in going tubeless.
    I have no connection with them, just a satisfied customer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I don't know if this one is available elsewhere, I read a few reviews and it seemed to get consistently the best reviews:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's difficult to tell how accurate it actually is but it seems a lot better than my track pump and conveniently you can release air pressure with the gauge attached to the valve to drop it down to the right level.
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigVaz View Post
    How much savings was there instead of the farley 8???
    Around $600 plus tax, but of course my part spec will be considerably lower than an 8's. I just didn't need or want the 8. I prefer Shimano shifting, and I wasn't sure I'd be able to change the XD driver on the Jackalope wheels. And I prefer black, always. But honestly, my fatbike will never be my main bike. It will never, ever see snow here in Tampa, FL, and only occasional use on a real trail. I have a secret place that I ride near my work that is soft ground and grass, not real trails, and normal 2.xx tires sink in and feel like you're riding flat tires.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Im getting a creak on either the front hub or bottom bracket. Any ideas? Pretty sure it either just started or just got worse. Bike is a week old.

mtbr member
    So I'm still waiting for my farley to arrive, but my buddy ordered the same bike and paid for rush shipping from Ca, so it was here within a week. Lucky dog... anyway, we went out yesterday and I was able to throw a leg over it. Seems like a great bike. First fatty I've ridden even though it was a size too small. The thing I noticed was how different it rode from my fuel.

The fuel was effortless. The farley had a lot of self steer. Could've been a pressure issue??? Not sure as this was the first fatty I've ridden. Riding a fat bike will definitely make a man out of you... it's a completely different beast.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Took my Farley into the shop to check out the creak. A quick ride by the mechanic had him believing it was not the front hub, but either in the bottom bracket (which was tightened up right), or the cheap pedals. I left it there for him to check out while I'm out of town.

Hopefully it's just the pedals.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post

Hopefully it's just the pedals.
    My buddy was saying he thought the crank was making weird noises too, but he also has cheapo pedals. Maybe that's it.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

RAKC
    I test rode a farley 8 yesterday and gotta say not impressed at all.

Self steer on bontrager tires almost put my on my face (wasn't ready for it) cause its got some pull to it.

Brand new and already creaking???? Yeap had that too

Not impressed with the bluto not to say its bad, just dont see a need for it on a fatty in my case.

Whole bike though not, felt heavy and cumbersome to ride. I rode a a fat boy briefly that guy brought, I have 50 lbs in him easily, set up for him but rode like a dream for me. I own nothing but trek but that's gonna change for a fatty. Not sure what fatty yet, but not a farley, pugs, or origin 8. That I do know.
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    I test rode a farley 8 yesterday and gotta say not impressed at all.
    That's crazy... To each their own, but i'm shocked to hear that. When I rode the 6 I thought it was awesome. Wasn't crazy about the tires, but as I said above, could've been a pressure issue. I can't wait for mine to show up!
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    That's crazy... To each their own, but i'm shocked to hear that. When I rode the 6 I thought it was awesome. Wasn't crazy about the tires, but as I said above, could've been a pressure issue. I can't wait for mine to show up!
    I'm surprised as well by those comments as it was the opposite for me, I expected the 6 to feel like a bit of a tank - heavy and maneuverable but pretty much unstoppable. However it's nothing like that, it feels more agile than my FS 29er (the front comes up much easier) and with no suspension soaking up the power it accelerates impressively quickly in mixed terrain. I didn't think the bike would be capable of any downhill but I set two personal bests on downhill sections as the huge tyres give so much traction and so much confidence.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcL7 View Post
    it feels more agile than my FS 29er (the front comes up much easier) and with no suspension soaking up the power it accelerates impressively quickly in mixed terrain. I didn't think the bike would be capable of any downhill but I set two personal bests on downhill sections
    Haha, now I definitely didn't get that vibe! My fuel feels effortless and was much faster on downhills. I feel like the farley will plow through creeks and mud much better, but I know I won't be getting any pb's on any downhills.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Haha, now I definitely didn't get that vibe! My fuel feels effortless and was much faster on downhills. I feel like the farley will plow through creeks and mud much better, but I know I won't be getting any pb's on any downhills.
    The Fuel is much quicker and easier on high speed downhill but where the Farley is faster is on tight, slippery downhills (non-trail centre stuff) where the huge traction encourages me to throw the bike down faster whereas I'm a lot more cautious with the Fuel after having quite a big crash on the same section last time I took it there.
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcL7 View Post
    The Fuel is much quicker and easier on high speed downhill but where the Farley is faster is on tight, slippery downhills where the huge traction encourages me to throw the bike down faster whereas I'm a lot more cautious with the Fuel after having quite a big crash on the same section last time I took it there.
    Crashes suck & always bring you back down to reality... It's hard to ride on the ragged edge without ending up on the other side occasionally.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well, I finally got around to setting up the tubeless last night and so far it's not working too well. I used Gorilla tape, 1.88 in wide and had to run 2 overlapping strips to get it up to the edges of the bead well. I put it over top of the stock rim tape and it covered that and sealed on the rim itself. Then I put the tire and tube back on and inflated till the tire was really firm(at least 10-12 lbs) and let it sit for a 1/2 hour. Next, I carefully unseated one side of the tire and removed the tube and then installed the tubeless valve stem and reinflated the tire to seat the bead. It held air with no sealant in it and I didn't hear any hissing at all. I deflated the tire and removed the valve core and added 120 ml of Stan's sealant and did the 'shake, rattle and roll' to distribute it evenly. I aired it back up to 10 lbs and let it sit. About an hour later it was down to about 2 lbs. Same story with both tires.
    I've tried spinning them and adding more air, but they just keep losing pressure. The front seems to hold better/longer. I've read that you need to ride after adding the sealant and airing up, but it was late and dark by the time I finished up. I'll try that later.
    I do have a few questions though.

1. There are a few really small holes around the inside edge of the rim where the tire bead seats. I didn't cover these with tape since I thought the tire bead would cover them; could they cause a leak? I don't know what their purpose is or where they lead to.

2. How much sealant is required? I've read some conflicting info.

p.s. I was able to unseat the tires from the beads on the Mule Futs by hand, but it wasn't easy. I read somewhere that someone had to stand on the tire to unseat it. Oh, and having 1 plastic tire 'iron' helps a lot!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Why did you use gorilla tape instead of the rim tape it came with?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by not2shabby View Post
    1. There are a few really small holes around the inside edge of the rim where the tire bead seats. I didn't cover these with tape since I thought the tire bead would cover them; could they cause a leak? I don't know what their purpose is or where they lead to.
    I think answer is yes they could leak and should be covered. Check out this link below of the same rim being set up. Also did you see where any sealant leaked out of? I'm planning to do this soon, please update once you've tried something new!

Fat bikes - Page 3

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The Gorilla tape is supposed to seal better than the rim tape. It's used instead of Stan's rim tape.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hmmm, didn't see anything in the link about the little holes and no, I don't see any sealant coming out anywhere! Maybe I need to tighten up the valve cores, I don't have a tool for it, just used some pliers. Maybe I wussed out and didn't get them snug enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Check again... Second paragraph... Might need to check your eyes too lol

"The rims are actually double wall right at the bead hooks, and there are vent holes drilled there, so the tape needs to stretch from sidewall to sidewall to cover all the holes."

I assume those are the same holes you are talking about. I haven't seen the rim itself yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wuchadwi View Post
    Check again... Second paragraph... Might need to check your eyes too lol

"The rims are actually double wall right at the bead hooks, and there are vent holes drilled there, so the tape needs to stretch from sidewall to sidewall to cover all the holes."

I assume those are the same holes you are talking about. I haven't seen the rim itself yet.
    Aw snap! I was looking for pics. Where do they vent to? I have no sealant coming out of the wheel anywhere! And if these are supposed to be 'tubeless ready' rims, wth have vent holes?!
    I think I'm gonna put another couple of ounces of Stan's in, air 'em up and go for a ride and see if that does it. Those holes are pretty small, you'd think they'd seal up.
    If that doesn't work, guess I'll have to pull the tire, clean up the mess and try taping all the way into the bead seat area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Alllllrighty then! Just got done putting another 100 ml of Stan's in each tire, tightened the valve stems some more and the valve cores too. Aired up to 11 lbs front and 12 rear and went out and ran over every curb, bump and obstacle I could find around the hood for about 20 minutes. I checked the wheels over when I got done and didn't see any thing leaking from the front, the rear had just a little bit coming from the rim seam. Both tires felt firmer than before the ride. I didn't check pressures but will later. I think we have a winner!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Any weights on the 8 tubed or tubeless? And How about the six?

mtbr member

2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes

Tigris, Sounds like they didn't have enough pressure in the tires for riding around on the pavement.

I agree on the Bluto. However I ride a rigid Niner Air Carbon with a 10 times harsher ride. I upgraded the fork on last years Farley with the Makwa for weight savings. I think they should have put a carbon fork on the 6.

My Farley had a creaky seat post when I got it that I thought was the crankset at first....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well...one of two ain't bad...I checked the tires around 11 pm and they still felt the same, the rear maybe a little lower, but this this morning the front was fine and the rear flat. Guess I'll add a little more Stan's after work and hit some curbs. If the front sealed w/o covering those stupid little vent holes, the rear should too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by upmtbyader View Post
    Any weights on the 8 tubed or tubeless? And How about the six?
    Local bike shop just did this, September 19th posting:

https://www.facebook.com/hardcorebikes

a-o
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My wife received her Farley 6 today. It came with Bontrager Hodag tires and SRAM X0 front der. Stock weight without pedals is 13,6 kg for the size 15,5".
    It's a nice bike compared to her previous On-One Fatty.

#fatbikesfi

mtbr member
    I read somewhere that throwing an aftermarket fork (carbon) on the Farley will throw the geo off.

How true do you think that is?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    As long as the Axle to crown is the same it shouldn't affect the geo.

I read somewhere that throwing an aftermarket fork (carbon) on the Farley will throw the geo off.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by a-o View Post
    My wife received her Farley 6 today. It came with Bontrager Hodag tires and SRAM X0 front der. Stock weight without pedals is 13,6 kg for the size 15,5".
    It's a nice bike compared to her previous On-One Fatty.
    Care to elaborate on the On-One vs Trek comparison? Both of these bikes are currently on my radar....
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    I am not a member of the Farley fat bike crowd. Found a Farley 6 at my LBS on Saturday but in a box. They told me it would be built by Wednesday (they were closed one day for inventory). However, somebody bought the bike while it was in the box. They did have another 19.5 at another location so I went and picked it up today. First fat bike. Looking forward to it.

mtbr member

The Makwa fork is what everyone is going with and it is perfect on the Farley!

Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

mtbr member
    Well, I finally got around to setting up the tubeless last night and so far it's not working too well. I used Gorilla tape, 1.88 in wide and had to run 2 overlapping strips to get it up to the edges of the bead well. I put it over top of the stock rim tape and it covered that and sealed on the rim itself. Then I put the tire and tube back on and inflated till the tire was really firm(at least 10-12 lbs) and let it sit for a 1/2 hour. Next, I carefully unseated one side of the tire and removed the tube and then installed the tubeless valve stem and reinflated the tire to seat the bead. It held air with no sealant in it and I didn't hear any hissing at all. I deflated the tire and removed the valve core and added 120 ml of Stan's sealant and did the 'shake, rattle and roll' to distribute it evenly. I aired it back up to 10 lbs and let it sit. About an hour later it was down to about 2 lbs. Same story with both tires.
    I've tried spinning them and adding more air, but they just keep losing pressure. The front seems to hold better/longer. I've read that you need to ride after adding the sealant and airing up, but it was late and dark by the time I finished up. I'll try that later.
    I do have a few questions though.

2. How much sealant is required? I've read some conflicting info.

p.s. I was able to unseat the tires from the beads on the Mule Futs by hand, but it wasn't easy. I read somewhere that someone had to stand on the tire to unseat it. Oh, and having 1 plastic tire 'iron' helps a lot!
    It seems that maybe your not putting enough air in tires so that they get a tight seal. I have done both rolling darryls and clown shoes with good success and always take them up to 30psi (I am guessing this is the max for all fat bike tires?). For the rolling darryls I use 1 strip of 3" Gorilla tape and for the clown show, two overlapping 2" pieces. I would recommend for now putting at least 25psi in them for awhile and see what happens. The first time I tried this, I did not have a good pressure gauge, and didn't get them to seal up very good, and realized i had to little air in them, probably around the 10-12psi that you are talking about. After pumping them up to 30, they sealed up fine. As far as sealant, I put 8 ounces of stans in the rolling darryls and maybe 12 in the clown shoes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That may be the issue. I didn't add any more sealant but I pumped up the rear pretty high (didn't use my gauge, it's only 0 to 15, didn't want to break it! ) and went for another ride to slosh the sealant around. It is holding up great so far. I'll see in the morning if it's still good.
    Anyone know what those vent holes are for? I don't see how they could vent outside the rim.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FewDaysOnTrail View Post
    The Makwa fork is what everyone is going with and it is perfect on the Farley!

Would you need a new hub to do it? The Makwa is through axle. Any thing else needed?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yikes! I just did a quick check on the Makwa. $500! Would it make that much difference over the stock fork? Would the Bluto be better?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Looks like to run the Makwa fork you would need to replace the front wheel with a different hub. The Makwa is 142mm through axle. The 6 is 135mm qr and the 8 is 150mm.

RIDE TO LIVE
    Anyone know what those vent holes are for? I don't see how they could vent outside the rim.
    I believe the vent holes are to allow gasses to escape during the welding process.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by LIV2RYD View Post
    I believe the vent holes are to allow gasses to escape during the welding process.
    That makes sense. Anyway, both wheels are holding pressure great now! Steering feels sharper w/o the tube. Think I'll go hit Alum Creek after work and try it out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Would a Specialized Fatboy carbon fork work? 135mm hub and QR according to their specs. Should be able to run the wider tires too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Would a Specialized Fatboy carbon fork work? 135mm hub and QR according to their specs. Should be able to run the wider tires too.
    Look into the Carver Carbon fork. Been riding one for 2 years and it's been great.

Bikeman Carver Bikes O'Beast Full Carbon Fork, fits 4.8'' tires

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Interesting....anybody want to go 1st?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Update on the tubeless mod, I just got back from riding P2 at Alum Creek and the tires performed flawlessly. I started out with 9 rear, 8 front and stopped a few times to let a little bit out cause they were a little bouncy. Ended up at 7 front and 8 rear and think I could have gone down a little more on the front but it was pretty good. The steering felt lighter and grip was awesome. I'm a happy camper. I think I did the 6 miles about 15 to 20 minutes quicker than when I was on the X Cal. To be fair though, it's quite a bit cooler now and I had never done P2 before. Plus I think I'm getting in better shape too.

Oh yeah, anybody use a Thudbuster? How do you like it?

mtbr member

Would you need a new hub to do it? The Makwa is through axle. Any thing else needed?
    Nope. Hub adapters from salsa for about $20.00 to 15mmx142. Works like a champ. You need a lower race as well because the standard Farley fork is a 1-1/8 straight with a 1-1/8 to 1-1/2 crown race.

Weight savings was about a half pound and the ride isn't as harsh. Don't know much about the Bluto.....

Suspension fork seems like overkill for a fatbike but I'm not one to judge. Everybody ride what you love!

Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

RIDE TO LIVE
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedeezy View Post
    Are you a mind reader?? exactly what I was planning.
    Checking into upgrading the Bluto to include a remote lockout also. I'll keep u posted
    15 Trek Fuel EX 9.98 (not a typo)
    15 Trek Remedy 9.9
    15 Trek Farley 8 (for sale)
    10 GF Superfly SS

mtbr member

So it happened today, I picked my fatty up!

Then this happened...

Oh yeah then this!...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Very nice bike can you tell us the weight of the Farley 8?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatalpine View Post
    Very nice bike can you tell us the weight of the Farley 8?
    Thank you. As it sits, with the first rides' mud on it, it's 31.7lbs. I'm running tubeless but think my scale is over reading slightly based on previous comparisons with mt bike shops' scales.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Nice Just J! Didn't take me long to get mine dirty either. How do you like the Bluto?

mtbr member

Picked it up and got it muddy the first day!!!! Im so freaking jealous. Im waiting on my Farley 6 in a 21.5" size and its backordered. Grrrrr. By the way sweet bike!!!👍👍👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I use(d) one on my hardtail, and it was awesome (both medium flex spacers). The LT took the edge off most bumps. Will maybe add to my Farley, but so far don't need it at all. Might swap one of the medium spacers for a hard one and see. I don't have the seatpost shimmy for the 31.6 Farley yet either. Besides, my tire guage is too wonky, and I'm still dicking around with the pressure.

Oh yeah, anybody use a Thudbuster? How do you like it?[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    2FewDaysOnTrail - I was under the impression that the Bontrager hub (on the Farley 6) wouldn't take the Salsa adapters.

So Salsa adapters work fine for the Makwa, what about the Carver carbon fork?

And what about for a Bluto?

Nope. Hub adapters from salsa for about $20.00 to 15mmx142. Works like a champ. You need a lower race as well because the standard Farley fork is a 1-1/8 straight with a 1-1/8 to 1-1/2 crown race.

Weight savings was about a half pound and the ride isn't as harsh. Don't know much about the Bluto.....

Suspension fork seems like overkill for a fatbike but I'm not one to judge. Everybody ride what you love!

mtbr member
    Also also, Trek tweeted me that the fork only takes up to 4 inch tires, but there appears to be more room.

Can anybody confirm for sure?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    One more dumb ? Anybody running a bash ring to protect the big chainring? I'm not that great on the big logs yet and really suck at bunny hopping!

mtbr member
    Hi guys and thanks!

I've never ridden a fatbike before apart from around the roads near my local bike shop but Ive got to say that the Bluto does feel really nice. It's a very simple fork but seems to have the damping spot on. I'm running 11 psi in the rear tyre and 10 in the front which feels pretty good to me, I'm 215lbs and run 130 in the fork. It's very early days but I've never picked a bike up and got 2 KOM's straight off within the first hour of ownership! I actually KOM'd my own KOMS but it still counts right?!

Hear was me thinking that this bike would just be my play thing where I wouldn't be concerned with Damn stupid Strava times! Ha ha.

mtbr member
    Sweet bike, JustJ! Congrats! Love the green and gold!

Also, what kind of pedals are those?

mtbr member
    Sweet bike, JustJ! Congrats! Love the green and gold!

Also, what kind of pedals are those?
    Thank you!

They're actually Acid Green Raceface Atlas pedals. I'm trying to run flats from now until the end of the winter on my hard tails to try and remember some technique!

RIDE TO LIVE
    Just got back from a 2 hr test ride on a Farley 6. Wanted to make sure I ordered the right frame size. Word to the wise, the farley frame sizes run small so you might want to look at a slightly larger frame size than you usually run. I am 5'5" tall and all my Trek 29er are 15.5" and have been for years dating back to the G Fisher line. The 15.5" Farley was much too small for me, the 17.5 fit perfect.
    15 Trek Fuel EX 9.98 (not a typo)
    15 Trek Remedy 9.9
    15 Trek Farley 8 (for sale)
    10 GF Superfly SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    That green is awesome looking...

Just added ec70 carbon bars and yellow chunkys. In the middle of converting tubeless with gorilla tape. First wheel seated with floor pump and has been holding constant pressure for 3 hrs. I put about 180ml of stans. Waiting for gf to bring home extra sealant for the other wheel...

mtbr member
    Update on the creaking: it was the cheap pedals. I ordered a pair of Sun Ringle Zuzus to see how I like a "nicer" platform. I thought it was cool that the LBS threw on another pair of the cheap ones, for free, while I wait for the Zuzus.

Will see how they work and think about throwing them on my cross bike, and getting a really nice set of flats next year.

mtbr member

In my humble opinion,

Dark Cycles Arachnids are the Only flat pedal....

2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-imageuploadedbytapatalkhd1411876375.150346.jpg

Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi in same situation going to for the Bluto forks on my Farley 6 but can we use the salsa QR 150 adapter on the Bontrager hub???? ..or is a a new wheel build with say the hope 150 hub required??? ..if the adapter will work any pointer to where to get it from ...over in the UK

cheers..

mtbr member

In my humble opinion,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1411876375.150346.jpg 
Views:	1337 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	927272

You need to broaden your horizons... awesome flats are plentiful!
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member

So first real ride on the Farley today and so Farley so good! I took it to my local riding spot with the intention of a quick loop just to see how it performs on rocks and roots. I ended up riding 17 miles taking in as much varied terrain as possible. I've got to tell you, I'm very much in love with this bikes, it's just so much fun! Yes it's harder to pedal up hill, but nowhere near as hard as you'd think it would be. When the trail gets flowy or has roots and rocks on it the thing just flies plain and simple. It's a very playful bike and loves manualing and hopping off obstacles.

I'm really impressed with the X1 as I have a XO1/XX1 mix on my Yeti and I'm not 100% sure I'd be able to tell the difference between the group sets of challenged to. The brakes are very good which surprised me to be honest and the forks are fantastic, as I said earlier they have just the right amount of damping for me when coupled with the huge tyres. Yes I used every mm of travel and on the bigger DH trails I took the bike down that travel can get used pretty quickly but the bike plain rips.

I love the Bontrager components as I do on my other Treks, it's just good stuff that works well.

I'm still running 11 psi in the rear and 10 up front but I definitely think there is potential to run less if I wanted to.

The frame is the perfect fit for me, I'm 6ft and 19.5" Treks generally are a good match for me. A friend I was riding with even commented that I actually looked more comfortable on the Farley than I do on my other bikes.

I am so surprised by this bike, I didn't expect it to perform like it does, it is a lot faster than I expected and would honestly make a really good do it all trail bike. I'm sold and I'd definitely recommend one to anyone.

I LOVE THIS BIKE!!

mtbr member

I know. I have some Diety skyscrapers, twenty6 Titanium, Spank Spikes and Spank Oozy and a pair of Saints.

These are the only ones people ask about when out riding. They just look so cool. They are even more beautiful in person....

Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

great right up

Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    So first real ride on the Farley today and so Farley so good! I took it to my local riding spot with the intention of a quick loop just to see how it performs on rocks and roots. I ended up riding 17 miles taking in as much varied terrain as possible. I've got to tell you, I'm very much in love with this bikes, it's just so much fun! Yes it's harder to pedal up hill, but nowhere near as hard as you'd think it would be. When the trail gets flowy or has roots and rocks on it the thing just flies plain and simple. It's a very playful bike and loves manualing and hopping off obstacles.

I'm really impressed with the X1 as I have a XO1/XX1 mix on my Yeti and I'm not 100% sure I'd be able to tell the difference between the group sets of challenged to. The brakes are very good which surprised me to be honest and the forks are fantastic, as I said earlier they have just the right amount of damping for me when coupled with the huge tyres. Yes I used every mm of travel and on the bigger DH trails I took the bike down that travel can get used pretty quickly but the bike plain rips.

I love the Bontrager components as I do on my other Treks, it's just good stuff that works well.

I'm still running 11 psi in the rear and 10 up front but I definitely think there is potential to run less if I wanted to.

The frame is the perfect fit for me, I'm 6ft and 19.5" Treks generally are a good match for me. A friend I was riding with even commented that I actually looked more comfortable on the Farley than I do on my other bikes.

I am so surprised by this bike, I didn't expect it to perform like it does, it is a lot faster than I expected and would honestly make a really good do it all trail bike. I'm sold and I'd definitely recommend one to anyone.

I LOVE THIS BIKE!!

Thx for the info and review!

I have mine on order, and like you, my primary bike is a sb95c w/ x01 and pike.

i was planning on putting a rack on it for grocery runs, some snow riding, and riding w/ my kids and slower friends, but maybe I'll spend more time on it based on your review...

also, looks like you have quite a few spacers under stem, I am 5 11, and was worried 19.5 may be too big, but with a 60-70 stem and no spacers, I think it will be good.

cheers,
    holiday

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by holiday View Post
    Thx for the info and review!

I have mine on order, and like you, my primary bike is a sb95c w/ x01 and pike.

i was planning on putting a rack on it for grocery runs, some snow riding, and riding w/ my kids and slower friends, but maybe I'll spend more time on it based on your review...

also, looks like you have quite a few spacers under stem, I am 5 11, and was worried 19.5 may be too big, but with a 60-70 stem and no spacers, I think it will be good.

cheers,
    holiday
    Thanks Holiday!

The Farley won't replace the '95c, I'm not quite sure anything could for me, but it will certainly get ridden a lot this winter and beyond, it could easily be someone's only bike though if need be.

Don't be fooled though these things are fast trail bikes and will easily keep up with most of your fast friends too I'd bet!

I've not adjusted the spacers as yet, the top spacer above the stem is actually a Promountbillet Enduro Garmin mount but I'll probably take one out underneath the stem at some point as currently the bars slight slightly higher than they do on the SB95c and the Stache.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    In my humble opinion,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1411876375.150346.jpg 
Views:	1337 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	927272

Look cool, but I think they would snag a lot of tall grass on the trails I ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm looking at getting a new fat bike, I looked at the Farley 6, I like alot about the bike but a few things are holding me back from buying one. I am concerned about the rear tire clearance, I will be running Nates and Dillingers, it looks like there is not much clearance for mud and snow. Is this an issue? I did want a carbon fork with a though axel, is the Farleys fork stiff bombing down hill over roots and rocks.? With this bike I seem to be in between sizes, I normally ride a med. or 17.5 to 18". I felt okay on the 17.5 with a 100mm stem, and felt okay on the 19-1/2" with a 80mm stem. I did notice the size difference when sitting on both. Should I size up on this bike? I am about 5-10 with a 31-1/2" inseam. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Still wondering....can you run a bash ring on the 6? I'm a little concerned about bending the big ring on a log or something. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The crank comes with spacer tabs, maybe the bash would fit there if you remove them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hey guys!!!
    Long time reader, first time poster/member!

So first up I am a Roadie, lets get this out of the way...blah blah blah I spend more on razors than you do LOL!!!

On topic
    Over the weekend I did a local 8 hour MTB race with my nephew and second MTB ride of the year where my old Hayes front brake would not full release...Thats the good part!!
    Specialized was there so I got a new 29er carbon wheel racer for the next lap, fun fast..also good!
    Last lap all the bikes were gone except the Fat one, for a laugh I took it out!

This was the problem, it was so fun, handled amazing, just ripped in the single track and fit like a glove!
    Problem is I need to buy one!

After doing some homework I found the Farley 6 to be better equipped other than the carbon fork, the smaller tires gave me pause but I see you guys have fitted the bigger ones so no problem.

I found one locally today and took it for a ride around the parking lot, geometry felt close, fit felt spot on and it was as peppy as the Specialized.

I told them I would be back in a few days after I think about it, they are holding it for me.

Sorry for the long story but do you think my reasoning is sound as to the Trek fitting as well or better?
    Price wise its cheaper by $500 so even better.

Also, do any roadies use the fat bike to train on in the winter, if so how do you use it?

mtbr member
    I think we're pretty biased in this thread because most of us bought one, but yeah, the Farley is great. I love mine. They apparently do run a little smaller, but I still stuck with the medium/17.5.

As for how a roadie would use a fat bike to train in the winter, I'm guessing they would probably pedal it.

banned
    Sep 2008
    how do you use it? ummm, we ride it.

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    LOL!!

You guys are not roadies
    We base our training on power and heart rate with intervals and specific routines. A bit more than pedalling but the same thing at the end of the day.
    With trails its harder to get that same smooth road section to maintain that wattage...yeah its a trail bike but looking to use it for training.

Maybe we should just skip the training portion and stick to the bike

banned
    Sep 2008
    nope not a "roadie", but do ride a road bike.

i base my training on pure pain and torture, and maybe even a lil bit of blood in my mucous at the end of the ride. then drink beer and sit around to recover.

but to each their own.

oh and you can have my razor, i don't use it

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Umm, if you're planning on putting a 5 inch tire on the rear I don't think that'll work.

I suppose you could put a cheap road tire on the back and strap it to one of those roller thingies and train inside all winter to your hearts content. I plan on playing in the snow!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bevo-66 View Post
    After doing some homework I found the Farley 6 to be better equipped other than the carbon fork, the smaller tires gave me pause but I see you guys have fitted the bigger ones so no problem.

I found one locally today and took it for a ride around the parking lot, geometry felt close, fit felt spot on and it was as peppy as the Specialized.
    FYI: the Farley will not fit as wide a rear tire as the Fatboy. The Farley maxes out at around 4" and the Fatboy will run 5". Had the Farley been able to run larger tires I'd likely own one as I get better prices on Treks in my area. I was looking for as much flotation as I could get though, so went with the Fatboy and have been very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hell no this bike is for outside, the idea is to get away from this trainer...hate that thing!

Thanks Paochow, I will need to see what the locals are using where I will ride, if they can get away with 4 inch then I am good, if not maybe more homework.
    One good thing is I am 145lb so i probably float a bit better than those over 200lb.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Yeah 4" may work, really depends on snow conditions and if the trails are packed. Where I'm at, I'll likely be the sole fatbike so I need as much float as I can get.

mtbr member
    I really wish there was more cage mounts on the fork... Not that i'd cancel my order, but i'm trying to figure out a way to get some cages on there... hmmmmm???
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member

Can't comment on the six but my experience with the race face cranks and rings on the original Farley seemed like a bash ring would work. Just remove the bolts and black shims on the outer ring and add said bash guard. The problem is the location of the brazed on mount for the front derailleur is about 125 thousandths too low so the derailleur touches the bash guard when shifting.

I'm assuming the same issue would occur on the Farley 6.

Since then I nuked the front Derailleur completely and upgraded the cranks and went with a MRP spider-less bling ring in a 1x10 configuration to reduce weight.....

Salsa Bucksaw
    Trek Farley
    Niner Jet9 RDO
    Niner Air9 Carbon SS
    Rockhopper Comp SL

mtbr member
    In regards to training, I just see the Farley as another way of keeping me motivated during the winter months, riding is training and training is riding (well and swimming and the gym if you're me). I'm not a roadie but I ride road on my CX bike and use HR and interval training a lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks, that's what I was wondering about, the low mounted derailleur. Maybe some thin washers behind the bash ring to move it out a little will work. I read somewhere a guy had an issue with his chain rubbing the ring but I think he had a Shimano crank. He ended up flipping the ring over and it gained enough clearance to quit rubbing.
    I'll find out in a few days, just ordered a 36T Raceface lite in black.

mtbr member
    Sounds like it's been mentioned already, but I'll mention again: a five inch tire does not appear to fit on the back. Not sure about on the fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    There's alot of unknown with the rear tire clearance on these, I've seen Nates on the back but that's about it other than what came stock. I know Trek is stocking The Vee SnowShoe, Bulldozer and H-Billie. Whether that means anything or not who knows. I think at least with the Bluto you can pretty much put whatever you want on the front.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    In regards to training, I just see the Farley as another way of keeping me motivated during the winter months, riding is training and training is riding (well and swimming and the gym if you're me). I'm not a roadie but I ride road on my CX bike and use HR and interval training a lot.
    Can you compare the feel of the Farley to the Stache? Is the Farley a smoother ride in the rock gardens?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I can't compare the Farley to a stache but I did trade an X caliber 8 in on the Farley and there is no doubt the Farley is much smoother over everything! The X Cal used to beat the crap out of me on the same stuff the Farley rolls over no problem. I'm much more confident on the trails now and faster too.
    Disclaimer: I just started mtb riding 6 weeks ago so YMMV. Tire pressure makes a huge difference too. Too high or low and it gets bouncy.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by bob_m View Post
    Can you compare the feel of the Farley to the Stache? Is the Farley a smoother ride in the rock gardens?
    Well to start with the Farley has a familiar fit to the Stache although the seat tube is 0.5" longer it still feels like home.

The steering of the Farley is slower than the Stache which I guess you'd expect but the overall playful nature is there and getting the front end up and over things is still just as intuitive.

The Farley is a very comfortable bike, feeling like it has about 100mm of travel! Obviously tyre pressures and volume are key here but I can ride through rock gardens with wreckless abandon like I would a well set up full suspension bike.

You get this comfort with almost (apart from a little tyre bounce) total efficiency just like the Stache, so although the weight and bulk of the tyres slow you down a little bit on the climbs you never feel like you are being cheated out of your power.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Just built up, and rode in the parking lot, an 8. I mean, I love my Moonlander, but this Trek is sharp! Made the Moonie feel like a pregnant yak. The Bluto's are super silky.

Might have to get a new Chubbs...

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast