Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
Results 1,801 to 1,891 of 1891
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscoJeepGuy View Post
    I had mine for about a week and this happened. My LBS decided to warranty the whole wheel. I've only ridden about 10 miles on the new wheel so I'm hoping this one holds up. But yes I had the same thing.
    On a Farley 8 or one of the new models?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceldama View Post
    On a Farley 8 or one of the new models?
    It was the last 2015 Farley 6 they had in the shop.

mtbr member
    It was the last 2015 Farley 6 they had in the shop.
    Damn. That really sucks. I'll have to keep an eye on mine then. I wonder if it's worth taking apart the hub and using a lighter grease for Winter.

mtbr member
    Did the 6 use the same hub as the 8? I know the rims and hub color are different. I have over 1000 miles on my 8 with no issues and I am 200# without riding gear.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky697 View Post
    Did the 6 use the same hub as the 8? I know the rims and hub color are different. I have over 1000 miles on my 8 with no issues and I am 200# without riding gear.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    I believe that they are both 170mm but I could be wrong. I know that the front hubs are completely different. I looked on the Trek archives and I couldn't find any information on the 6 Wheelset

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    All the problems people are having with hubs, me included, makes me wonder why the companies go with their own brand hubs. Is it that much of a profit motive?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Same here. I ride the hell out of my F8 and haven't had a problem yet. I weigh about 180lbs with gear. I hope I don't run into any problems in the future.
    It's much more rare I'm guessing than say a Specialized hub going south, which is why we don't have whole threads devoted to it - unlike Specialized.

mtbr member

Midfat

Fat b nimble on Easton ARC 24 fits2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes-img_20160119_184809492.jpg

mtbr member
    Only on 1x setups though

mtbr member
    Damn. That really sucks. I'll have to keep an eye on mine then. I wonder if it's worth taking apart the hub and using a lighter grease for Winter.
    Yes and spend the $ on a spare freehub, might walk home one day but no waiting a week+ for a new one.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just got the Farley 6 and I am looking to do a Bluto conversion. I ride a Fuel Ex also and I would like front suspension. I have ridden my Farley only about 100 miles on local trails and I can tell no suspension is too stiff for my liking. Any I would like to keep the stock wheels and simply swap out the 135 hub to the Hope 150 hub in order to run the Bluto fork. Also, which fork would be suggested. How much of a difference is there in travel? Thanks
    In winter I'm not seeing much need for the Bluto, and have realized mine was locked for most of a ride. Sorry on not knowing specifics. I have whatever is stock with a Farley 8.

Get what makes you happy, and I do like the Bluto riding Blue Mound without snow. I just want to point out that I'm not finding the suspension very important in winter. I've ridden Farley 6, 7, Surlys, Fuji, Mongoose and Salsa all with rigid forks.

On rear hub quality, mine skipped on a recent ride where circumstances were a climb in 4 deg weather. My Farley 8 was used and started life as a demo bike so who knows what abuse it had before me.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    In winter I'm not seeing much need for the Bluto, and have realized mine was locked for most of a ride. Sorry on not knowing specifics. I have whatever is stock with a Farley 8.

Get what makes you happy, and I do like the Bluto riding Blue Mound without snow. I just want to point out that I'm not finding the suspension very important in winter. I've ridden Farley 6, 7, Surlys, Fuji, Mongoose and Salsa all with rigid forks.

On rear hub quality, mine skipped on a recent ride where circumstances were a climb in 4 deg weather. My Farley 8 was used and started life as a demo bike so who knows what abuse it had before me.
    Most hubs can be converted with spacer kits, talk to your dealer if yours is compatible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Most hubs can be converted with spacer kits, talk to your dealer if yours is compatible.

If you google it, you'll likely find an answer about hub conversion. Also, some dude in this thread had spacers machined.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

I was going to say the same thing.

I bought my Bluto equipped ride for the summer and find that locking it out in the winter might be the best. I don't know if freezing is bad for it, but I'd hate to blow seals or something nasty, plus I'm running so low pressure, I bounce like a basketball.

Could your skipping rear be cable or chain stretch? I sucked up a small twig too that caused skipping. Took me a minute to see it from the saddle. Picky shifters, etc...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    If you google it, you'll likely find an answer about hub conversion. Also, some dude in this thread had spacers machined.
    My LBS had 'spacer kits' that varied by diameter. $15 as I remember. Worth an ask, or try a good online source. I Googled 'rear hub spacer' and came up some places.

mtbr member
    I got the Bluto upgrade on mine and I think it is a worthy upgrade. Search for a guy named Schmidt on this forum and he can make the spacers and you can use your existing front wheel and all you need is a disc brake spacer (and the Bluto).

Yeah i know it adds weight to the bike but having the front suspension is really nice for both the snow and the dirt. I have the bluto with the lockout on the tip of the crown so you can easily reach down and lock out the fork.

Overall I think it make the bike handle better and definately takes the edge off and getting the spacers to run the 135 hub on the 150 fork was quick, easy and cheap.

mtbr member

Clean the thick sticky grease out of it and use a light gun oil.
    Marin Bobcat Trail 29er - Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    In my experience, 'light gun oil' draws more dust and debris that almost any other oil.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    For all the discussion on Farleys here I can't remember many hub failures, certainly no issues with mine and it's been ridden and raced all year round since I bought it on release. It's needing a good clean up and service after a 24 hour MTB event but despite all the heavy mud and both mudguards breaking, the bike managed all the laps fine.

I have debated a bluto on my Farley 6 but I like the rigid fork as I find it works well on natural trails and psychologically I don't mind hammering the bike through a lot of mud so much when I know there's nothing at the front I'm ruining. If I could quickly change forks I'd like to be able to stick a bluto on when I'm riding purpose built trails which ave a harder surface and usually more jumps and similar but that's obviously not the case. I have been keeping an eye out for a second hand Farley so I could have one as a faster summer hardtail setup and keep the existing rigid for the poor weather but there's very few here in the UK.

I'm very tempted by a Stache 29+ hardtail to pair with the Farley to give me a bike for faster drier conditions as I don't like the Fuel now I'm used to the bigger tyres so I'm hoping the 29+ would be a good compromise.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcL7 View Post
    For all the discussion on Farleys here I can't remember many hub failures, certainly no issues with mine and it's been ridden and raced all year round since I bought it on release. It's needing a good clean up and service after a 24 hour MTB event but despite all the heavy mud and both mudguards breaking, the bike managed all the laps fine.

I have debated a bluto on my Farley 6 but I like the rigid fork as I find it works well on natural trails and psychologically I don't mind hammering the bike through a lot of mud so much when I know there's nothing at the front I'm ruining. If I could quickly change forks I'd like to be able to stick a bluto on when I'm riding purpose built trails which ave a harder surface and usually more jumps and similar but that's obviously not the case. I have been keeping an eye out for a second hand Farley so I could have one as a faster summer hardtail setup and keep the existing rigid for the poor weather but there's very few here in the UK.

I'm very tempted by a Stache 29+ hardtail to pair with the Farley to give me a bike for faster drier conditions as I don't like the Fuel now I'm used to the bigger tyres so I'm hoping the 29+ would be a good compromise.

John
    I had fun riding the 29+ but find our Remedy 29 and Honzo to be better complements to our Farley.

By "our", I've got the good fortune to have same height wife so we share bikes.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It's something I've debated with myself for a long time made more difficult by the fact that I can't test ride a Stache, I finally found a demo one but it was the wrong size. The Fuel is a great bike but the tyres just feel so skittish in comparison, I'm trying to get a hold of a second hand Stache so that way if I don't like it I don't lose so much selling it on.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I managed to bag an ex-showroom Stache off Trek themselves so that's a great chance to try out 29+ and see how I get on.

I got the Fat bike back from its clean up after the Strathpuffer which is a 24 hour event in a local forest in the Highlands of Scotland which has grown rapidly in popularity. I took part as a ten last year for the first time and this year a quad, conditions were extremely tough as it's on natural non-purpose built trails which quickly get destroyed under the 1000 riders and it was unusually warm. This meant the entire track was unbelievably muddy to the degree even the big 4in tyres were really struggling at parts. They'd built a new finish section which hadn't been finalised so it felt like trying to cycle through setting cement, even just trying to push the bike through it was hard work as it just brought the bike to a halt.

Anyway the mighty Farley as always pulled through and although both mudguards failed, the bike never let me down despite the race being a real bike breaker. It's now looking better than it has done for a long time, this was during the race while queuing for the bike wash:

And today:

2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    What bottom bracket does the Farley 6 use? I've been searching and getting the wrong bikes or contradictory results.

Thanks,
    John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Mine says Race Face X-type on the outer cups or whatever they're called. It looks like this one, except it doesn't say 'Team XC'. They don't list a 100 mm size either.
    Race Face
    It could be this one, but mine doesn't have a yellow background behind the lettering.
    Race Face
    This is the only other one on their website that has a 100 mm version
    Race Face
    Maybe Trek had them do a special run of BB's for the 6?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I stand corrected; they do say 'Team XC'. I just didn't turn the bike upside down to check like it was for this pic.

I wonder why they don't list a 100 mm version on the website.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for that, I didn't realise it was just as simple as looking at it on the actual bike!

I've found a 100mm one for sale:

Race Face X-Type Team XC BB Cups | Chain Reaction Cycles

The 24 hour event I did last month seems to have ruined the bottom bracket, it's been cleaned and serviced and it's functioning fine but there's knocking/squeaking coming from it. It's a bit pricier to replace than I expected but I think worth it so the bike runs smoothly.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Glad to help. Good thing you found one but I still wonder why Race Face doesn't have a 100 MM version listed on their site. Weird.

Forty clams doesn't sound too bad...I figured they'd be more!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    It's fairly common for the bike bike companies to do 'OEM' stuff for their bikes only.

Think about it, it keeps us coming back for parts...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm not sure why it's not listed on the Raceface site but the bike shop had no problem finding the 100mm version to order either from their normal Raceface supplier.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

RAKC
    Just buy a set of x-type cups. The cups are the same regardless of spacing, the only difference is the sleeve which can be reused from the bb your replacing.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Just buy a set of x-type cups. The cups are the same regardless of spacing, the only difference is the sleeve which can be reused from the bb your replacing.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Was thinking this is possible. Thanks for the confirmation

mtbr member
    Man. Blew my second free hub this season on my 6. Havent gotten it back but im sure they sent another stock freehub. Warranty goes off april 2nd....

Options now is a turquoise I9 for $500 usd

Or buy 2 free hubs a season and change them out before they blow.

Sucks....

mtbr member
    This freehub blowing - sometimes when I'm pedaling, it feels like the gear skips a tooth or two. Is that a potential symptom? There's usually an accompanying noise like a harsh click or something.

mtbr member
    This freehub blowing - sometimes when I'm pedaling, it feels like the gear skips a tooth or two. Is that a potential symptom? There's usually an accompanying noise like a harsh click or something.
    Yup. Its a pawl not engaging properly. Will eventually fail.

mtbr member
    solarplex: eventually we all fail and we all fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    I don't want it, but some people may.
    Regardless, can we all agree not to buy it based on principal?

Mr. Belding?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Mr. Belding?
    You can only correct my grammar when you're on the same thread as the mistake

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    At what point is it worth considering replacing a tyre? I've no idea how many miles I've put on the bike, I've used it regularly since August 2014 although not much on road use - I noticed last night the tread blocks on the rear tyre are noticeably worn, the squiggly line on some of the blocks is now mostly gone.

I guess the obvious answer is replace them when they don't have enough grip but it's hard to tell whether the tyre is slipping due to wear or it's just that slippery a surface.
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    At what point is it worth considering replacing a tyre? I've no idea how many miles I've put on the bike, I've used it regularly since August 2014 although not much on road use - I noticed last night the tread blocks on the rear tyre are noticeably worn, the squiggly line on some of the blocks is now mostly gone.

I guess the obvious answer is replace them when they don't have enough grip but it's hard to tell whether the tyre is slipping due to wear or it's just that slippery a surface.
    I replace my tires about once a year, depending on wear. I replace the tubes then. Depending on how much wear, and rot, I may replace them sooner.

I also have a few different tires to use depending on conditions, although I don't change them that often.

If your tires are worn more than half, or are that old, I'd replace them. The rubber tends to get hard, and that leads to dry rot. If they are that old, the tubes will probably be 'welded' into the tire carcass, unless they have been changed.

Oh, I get the slippery surface bit. I run my hands on the tire, and if the grip isn't there, I swap it. Finding out that your tires are old, and hard is better done before face or head meets ground.

Oh, if the sidewalls show cracking, toss them.

mtbr member
    I shredded all the pawls on mine. Completely smooth... had to walk for what seemed like FOREVER to get back to my jeep. Sucked.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Sure it's the freehub? Just asking...

Whatever happened to the 'good old days' when the high end bikes had quality hubs...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StumpyR View Post
    Sure it's the freehub? Just asking...

Whatever happened to the 'good old days' when the high end bikes had quality hubs...
    Yeah, it's the freehub. Had to replace mine

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I replace my tires about once a year, depending on wear. I replace the tubes then. Depending on how much wear, and rot, I may replace them sooner.

I also have a few different tires to use depending on conditions, although I don't change them that often.

If your tires are worn more than half, or are that old, I'd replace them. The rubber tends to get hard, and that leads to dry rot. If they are that old, the tubes will probably be 'welded' into the tire carcass, unless they have been changed.

Oh, I get the slippery surface bit. I run my hands on the tire, and if the grip isn't there, I swap it. Finding out that your tires are old, and hard is better done before face or head meets ground.

Oh, if the sidewalls show cracking, toss them.
    Thanks for the reply, the general condition of the tyres looks good - there's no cracks or visible hardening on them, it's just I'm not sure how much wear the knobbled parts can take. I generally ride the fat bike because there is little grip so it's hard to tell if it has less grip or it's just slippy, I came off the bike because the front tyre slipped and visibly it's a lot less worn so it's not like the back is sliding all over the place and the front is fine.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011

After 50% tread life they get downgraded to street use and the fresh pair of shoes go on for the rail trail.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I usually replace my tires at least every two years. This is normally before they are worn out, but by then the rubber is a lot less grippy than new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I wonder if you could describe how you made the Fatliner work with your Farley. I have a Farley 5 (2016) and am a bit stumped.

tpd
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Has anyone found a bash guard to fit the stock chain ring and cranks?

This question was asked a few times back in 2014 but no really successful answers. I'm hoping with the passage of time people have found solutions.

Thanks,
    Toby.
    Toby
    2015 Trek Farley 8.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd View Post
    Has anyone found a bash guard to fit the stock chain ring and cranks?

This question was asked a few times back in 2014 but no really successful answers. I'm hoping with the passage of time people have found solutions.

Thanks,
    Toby.
    These work on the 6.
    Race Face Light Bash Ring | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    It seems like there are a bunch of them according to this Google page. My Stumpjumper has a Race Face crank and guard. Works great (so far).

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I purchased my Farley 6 2 seasons ago. The more I ride it the more I like it. I have even been commuting with it this summer. So..

I would like to hear about how people have pulled the weight out of their rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shredd_guy View Post
    I purchased my Farley 6 2 seasons ago. The more I ride it the more I like it. I have even been commuting with it this summer. So..

I would like to hear about how people have pulled the weight out of their rides.
    We have an 8. Tubeless tires was a change with instant and obvious improvements. Plastic (carbon) bars from a friend at deal I could not pass up didn't do anything we could notice except when looking at them.

One associate suggests the Rougarou tires. Maybe they'll improve your commuting too.

1x if your bike is not could be a change you'll notice but you'll spend a lot more than tubeless conversion.

mtbr member
    I upgraded to a dropper post, carbon bars and tubeless. Need 2x to get through the snow climbs. No further changes planned.

Simen

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I am going to get rid of my tubes when I get a chance. I would really like to get some carbon wheels but am not going to pay that much for wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The funny thing about my Farley 6 is that it's convinced me the weight doesn't matter that much, it's the heaviest bike I have by some margin yet it's also mostly the fastest - I expected the Stache with its still grippy tyres, suspension and lighter weight would demolish the Farley's PR's. Aside from some downhill parts though it's rarely breaking into the top three and the Farley's best time overall was on an uphill section.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    The funny thing about my Farley 6 is that it's convinced me the weight doesn't matter that much, it's the heaviest bike I have by some margin yet it's also mostly the fastest - I expected the Stache with its still grippy tyres, suspension and lighter weight would demolish the Farley's PR's. Aside from some downhill parts though it's rarely breaking into the top three and the Farley's best time overall was on an uphill section.

John
    Put a set of 27.5+ tires on your Farley and hang on as its easily the faster then any bike I have ever owned.

MJ
    14 Farley,Bluto,i9-27.5FatBNimbles
    16 Farley5,CarbonFork,27.5x4.5Barbegazi
    16 Farley9.6,Bluto,Onyx-26JumboJims

tpd
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Way2ManyBikes View Post
    Put a set of 27.5+ tires on your Farley and hang on as its easily the faster then any bike I have ever owned.

I have been seeing people on 27.5+ and thinking it might be interesting to try. Do you (or anyone else know) if that tire format will fit the 80mm wide Jackalope rims?

Cheers,
    Toby.
    Toby
    2015 Trek Farley 8.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have been seeing people on 27.5+ and thinking it might be interesting to try. Do you (or anyone else know) if that tire format will fit the 80mm wide Jackalope rims?

Cheers,
    Toby.
    I believe that's a no-go. 40-50mm rims max or you spread the tire too much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cheers,
    Toby.
    Plus wheels and tires will fit. If you do some searching here you'll find some people have posted the diameter of popular 26 in fat bike tires. Match that and be aware the Farleys before 2016 and after have different hub width standards.

An acquaintance has 650 plus setup on his and his wife's Farley 8 and Farley 9.8. I rode the 9.8 and the 27.5 plus tires felt like the diameter was too small for the riding I do. He's an XC racer so probably does not worry about pedal hits as I do.

This site has a good bunch of reading - long series of posts - i the plus bike sub-forum.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Way2ManyBikes View Post
    I've already got the Stache which is designed for the plus rims and is better suited to them plus it means I can easily switch between a hard trail and rigid without having to swap forks over. The problem I'm finding with the plus tyres is it's harder to keep the speed going over rough terrain where the 4in tyres manage fine.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Originally I thought the same but 27.5+ combo on the ruff stuff with the bluto sails through rock gardens with ease. Ive experimented with various air pressures and I think I have it nailed down.

The other thing to consider is the 14 & 15 Farley are actually a carbon copy of the Stache.

Marty-MJ
    MJ
    14 Farley,Bluto,i9-27.5FatBNimbles
    16 Farley5,CarbonFork,27.5x4.5Barbegazi
    16 Farley9.6,Bluto,Onyx-26JumboJims

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It's not a case of thinking the same, I've had the Stache since January and still not getting the speed out of it I expected. It's good at trail centres but then the standard 29er would probably be faster. I'm not claiming plus tyres are inherently slower, it was just in response to the original question about weight that I don't think it's going to make much difference squeezing a few pounds off the Farley.

The 2014 and 2015 Farley may share similar designs but they're different bikes, in particular the Stache has the elevated chainstay and curved seat tube to shorten the back end (the older Farleys don't take 29+), I don't know what the geometry figures are but the Stache seems to have more BB clearance as well.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

MaxTheCyclist.com
    I find I'm a bit slower with plus tires, but I feel faster because the ride is smoother. But at the end of the day, I care a lot more about feel/fun than the spedometer.
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

John
    Interesting. I was out with some guys over the weekend and I felt as though the bike didn't want to stop it just rolls. My commute times are back from my 29er around 5 to 7 mins. I am going to do some dirt time trials. the cheq 40 is around the corner. it would be fun to do fat but I don't want to loose speed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
    I find I'm a bit slower with plus tires, but I feel faster because the ride is smoother. But at the end of the day, I care a lot more about feel/fun than the spedometer.

I wouldn't say feel/fun are unrelated to speed - I love the feel of the fat bike so in turn ride it hard and it's fast. The plus bike isn't just slower, it feels slower as well as it can't power through the rough trails like the fat bike can. It's faster on the trail centres and similar purpose designed routes where the fat bike gains no advantage in traction or rolling over the rough stuff but then I'm not sure there's much benefit over the 29er.

I guess it's a YMMV situation as with mountain biking there's a tremendous range of riding conditions and no best bike, what suits one person won't necessarily suit another.

I was amused though when chatting with a friend on a ride last week who was encouraging me to take part in an upcoming race which is a mountain bike marathon over 70km of non-purpose built trails but with enduro style timing on some of the downhill sections and an uphill bike and hike section where you have to carry the bike up. I pointed out that the Farley 6 is a fairly heavy beast for carrying (definitely the toughest part of CX particularly when you see the guys running up the hill past you with their carbon machines on their shoulder) so she as offering me a shot of her S-works Fatboy which I think is lighter than my road bike - too scared to touch thing, never mind ride it...not a cheap bike.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member

2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes

I replaced my BB with an XT on my 6. The turbine one my LBS had would have worked but i needed a $100 new style BB tool. I just reused the raceface pipe! All works well. Only issue is shimano makes the drive side longer and the other side short so i couldnt put 2 spacers on the non drive to center my chainline but its not really an issue for me, shifts fine. I only use my 42 t (1x10) for slow spinning, if i need to climb i 36 it and torque it

tpd
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    There's already a thread dedicated to this issue, but I thought I'd drop it in here for anyone who's subscribed to this thread and may have missed the other post....

Trek recalls more than 4,000 Farley fat bikes - BikeRadar USA
    and
    https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/Tr...arley-Bicycles
    Toby
    2015 Trek Farley 8.

mtbr member
    I just want to share that I have the five inch tire itch. But I ride a Farley 6. I think I am going to buy the Flowbeist and try to mount that in the rear. If it fits, sweet! If not, I will ride it up front (and go with a Van Helga in the rear). I believe they are 4.6, and might squeeze in. When I get my bike back from the warranty fix, I will do some measuring, as 45NRTH has a nice tire width geometry chart online.

mtbr member

2015 Trek Farley 6 and 8 fat Bikes

I just want to share that I have the five inch tire itch. But I ride a Farley 6. I think I am going to buy the Flowbeist and try to mount that in the rear. If it fits, sweet! If not, I will ride it up front (and go with a Van Helga in the rear). I believe they are 4.6, and might squeeze in. When I get my bike back from the warranty fix, I will do some measuring, as 45NRTH has a nice tire width geometry chart online.
    I'm curious - please report back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I actually just found an article that measures both Dunderbeist and Flowbeist on 80mm Sun Ringle rims Dunder was 4.1795 inches and Flow was 4.2425 inches, both at 15psi. I don't have my bike with me, and won't for maybe a week, but feel free to measure the various clearance spots in the rear and report back.

45 North Flowbeist and Dunderbeist Set Up | brokenspokebikes

mtbr member
    I measured and I had a little over 4.5 inches of clearance at every place I measured in the rear. It should fit no problem. I am going to see if any friends or the LBS has a Flow for me to check out. The Flow was a slightly larger than the Dunder, and if it for some reason doesn't fit, I can throw it in the rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have an XL Farley 6 that I am setting up for bike packing and am looking at a Revelate frame bag. Does anyone have experience with this? My bike is still in the shop with the fork recall so I can't measure it (I can call the shop when it opens). I asked the folks at Revelate and they gave me suggestions on measuring, but no Farley experience. I have found two Black Friday deals, so I would like to act quick on ordering if possible.

Thanks for any insight!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    On the Farley 6, is the 26x3.8 tires the largest I can run?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    4.0 rear, 5.0 front
    2016 Trek Farley 5 Frame and all custom parts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    When I was looking, I had heard the Farley was a little narrower than the Fatboy.

Dillingers won't fit. Many tires won't.

mtbr member
    When I was looking, I had heard the Farley was a little narrower than the Fatboy.

Dillingers won't fit. Many tires won't.
    Its maybe narrower but has shorter chainstays and a slacker fork, alot more fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Having epically crashed on ice before, I preferred the ability to ride with studded wide tires over 'more fun'. I'm not saying more fun isn't bad, but damn, I was upright riding along, and next second I was sliding across an ice patch watching my new bike slide into the brush. Give me studs, and make them bite more than the frame.

I'm still amazed how fast, and hard, that wipe out was, and I didn't even touch the brakes.

Waiting for 45Nrth to get their act together and deliver the XL studs. COME ON GUYS! PEOPLE WANT THEM because there is ICE around already...

mtbr member
    Having epically crashed on ice before, I preferred the ability to ride with studded wide tires over 'more fun'. I'm not saying more fun isn't bad, but damn, I was upright riding along, and next second I was sliding across an ice patch watching my new bike slide into the brush. Give me studs, and make them bite more than the frame.

I'm still amazed how fast, and hard, that wipe out was, and I didn't even touch the brakes.

Waiting for 45Nrth to get their act together and deliver the XL studs. COME ON GUYS! PEOPLE WANT THEM because there is ICE around already...
    Gnarwhal fits, dillinger 4 fits, wazia 4" fits. All studded fat 4" tires

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Gnarwhal fits, dillinger 4 fits, wazia 4" fits. All studded fat 4" tires
    The LBS recommended not using studded tires. Thought that was odd. Good that it can support studded tires.

I may be over reacting to my incident, but I want the widest studded tires I can get if it looks like ice is possible.

Ride safe...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just mounted studded Dillinger 4's on 26" jackalopes. The bead seat on the rim had to be built up by .060" to get a tight fit and prevent burping. I have the older Dillinger 4's, the news ones that are now called "Tubeless compatible" may fit better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thinking about a 27.5+ conversion for my F6 and noticed that boost-spaced (110mm) forks can be found fairly cheaply. Well, cheaper than a bluto and they still fit 3" tires. Has anyone done this on their Farley? Would there be any difference in the geometry between these two forks?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    As long as you get a 51mm offset fork with the same travel it should be the same geo wise.

mtbr member
    A while back I mentioned I was was going to (try to) throw a bigger tire on the back of my Farley 6.

In December I bought a Maxxis FBF 4.8. Threw it on the front, worked great in the winter, and so far is great on dirt. Let it stretch out for a couple months, mounted it on the rear wheel last night. Did not fit. The knobs hit the front derailleur, which I could remove, but then the outer knobs barely, BARELY, clear the right chainstay. I am not sure if I could fit a piece of paper in there.

Might throw a 3.8 FBF on the rear cause I like to match.

mtbr member
    A while back I mentioned I was was going to (try to) throw a bigger tire on the back of my Farley 6.

In December I bought a Maxxis FBF 4.8. Threw it on the front, worked great in the winter, and so far is great on dirt. Let it stretch out for a couple months, mounted it on the rear wheel last night. Did not fit. The knobs hit the front derailleur, which I could remove, but then the outer knobs barely, BARELY, clear the right chainstay. I am not sure if I could fit a piece of paper in there.

Might throw a 3.8 FBF on the rear cause I like to match.
    Dont they make a 4" as well?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Has anyone tried to squeeze a schwalbe jumbo jim 4.40 on the rear of the farley 6? Read somewhere that the actual is 4.2ish but not confirmed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmor6766 View Post
    Has anyone tried to squeeze a schwalbe jumbo jim 4.40 on the rear of the farley 6? Read somewhere that the actual is 4.2ish but not confirmed.
    I bet it would fit. I wrote down the measurements from my Minion FBF experiment above, but not only neglected to include them in the post (above), but don't remember them either. Anyway, the treads on the JJ seem to have a lower profile, and that is where the Minion would touch the seat- and chainstays, as well as the rear of the front derailleur. 4.2 is likely about as big as you will squeeze back there. No idea how much it will stretch out after riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

29+

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    Anyone tried to run a 29er+ setup with this frame/fork combo as a summer setup yet? Just curious if it would work.
    Did you ever try 29+ or get an answer?
    Will 27.5 x 3.8 fit?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=patada;13808424]Did you ever try 29+ or get an answer?
    Will 27.5 x 3.8 fit?[/QUOTE

29X2.6 Bontrager XR2 fits perfectly
    Trek Farley 6
    Salsa Bucksaw X01
    GT Grade Alloy X

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=fewg8;13808595]
    Quote Originally Posted by patada View Post
    Did you ever try 29+ or get an answer?
    Will 27.5 x 3.8 fit?[/QUOTE

29X2.6 Bontrager XR2 fits perfectly

How perfect? Room for 29x3.0 you think?

mtbr member
    No-go for 3.0. Not even the small fat b nimble. I'll try to post up a pic later of the xr2
    Trek Farley 6
    Salsa Bucksaw X01
    GT Grade Alloy X

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    It's good to see this thread still on the go

It's quickly approaching the time for the Stache to go away for the winter and get the Farley back out, it's in need of a new rear brake and rear tyre. Any tips for getting the tyre off the Mulefut rims and install the new ones? I'm sticking another Hodag on the back as I managed to pick one up cheap plus it does the job for me.

John
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    It's good to see this thread still on the go

It's quickly approaching the time for the Stache to go away for the winter and get the Farley back out, it's in need of a new rear brake and rear tyre. Any tips for getting the tyre off the Mulefut rims and install the new ones? I'm sticking another Hodag on the back as I managed to pick one up cheap plus it does the job for me.

John
    When I switched my Mulefut/Hodags over to tubeless, my recollection is that it didn't require any tools to remove/reinstall the tire.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819