2015 Norco Sasquatch-Arrived!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

2015 Norco Sasquatch-Arrived!

There is a general thread for 2015 Norco fatbike line but there was no specific Sasquatch thread so here goes:

I received mine yesterday and did my first ride and would love hearing from others and their setups.

Last July I put a deposit on a Fatboy expert but by spring it was still a no show so I cancelled.
    Between then and now I decided I "had" to have a Bluto.With the cost of converting a fatboy or starting at 4200 msrp the Norco was more my price range at the same price as a fatboy expert.
    Specialized is getting into Bucksaw territory with their Bluto equipped fatboy!

I'm kind of a between medium and large frame guy (5'11",
    33 in inseam), but with availability I settled on medium with a longer stem mounted before my first ride. LBS ordered a 2nd one with mine as these appear to be selling out fast.

I removed the reflectors and stock pedals and mounted my spd's. Using just a bathroom scale and subtracting my own weight I have it at 35.6 pounds.

The 4.5 inch front snowshoe at 9psi measured 102.3mm(4.03'') when I got it home.
    I measured the front and rear today after an approx 20km ride yesterday and the front measured 102.6mm, rear 103.8mm rear.I can get a slightly different measurement by rotating the tire so basically it didn't grow.
    This appears to be a fair measurement on Norco's 80mm rim.

First ride:

As my first fatbike and only 5 min fatbike experience previously I can really only compare to my 2012 Epic which is a terrible comparison.
    All geared up shoes, camelback etc. I rode at 227lbs yesterday with the tires at 9psi.
    Initial impression:

-bottom bracket is wide; duh. Stopped noticing after five min.

-I'm not use to a riser bar but
    I'll give it a chance before it gets changed.

-So this is auto steer. The tires really seem to "fall" off center when unloaded.The rear even seems to pull to a side as I shift my weight, sometimes different from the front.
    Been reading and interweb wisdom will have me trying 12-15psi before I pass judgement on the snowshoes. Regardless they are staying still spring if I switch.

-Grip! One little sandy switchbacked rooty climb I've only made it up once before was done on the first try with this bike.Cornering limits were not reached yet.
    Between the extra cornering and the greater rolling resistance I'm braking less.

-Gears- rear seems fine, front is a little slow giving me that mid climb drop I like a front derailleur for.
    Maybe at over 35lbs this bike is a good candidate for a 1x setup.

Generally I'm an intermediate rider at best and this is one ride but I'm very happy with the choice.
    I'll work harder on this bike than my Epic but it is fun to switch things up and ride all year.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 Norco Sasquatch-Arrived!-capture-1.jpg  

2015 Norco Sasquatch-Arrived!-capture-3.jpg  

2015 Norco Sasquatch-Arrived!-capture-2.jpg  

Last edited by Emanlluf; 09-19-2014 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That's a great looking ride, congrats!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So how much was it then?

All fat, all the time.
    Very nice, have fun!
    The auto steer seems to be caused by certain tires/tread pattern...
    You could always put a different one up front and use the take off on the back once you wear out the original

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
    So how much was it then?
    2750 cdn. Didn't look for lower or ask for lower. Let the LBS make the margin on a supply/demand hot category.

Rocking on a Rocky
    I didn't think it would be that heavy.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    2 week update: I'm really enjoying this bike and still think it represented one of the better values for a Bluto equipped bike that is an actual hard launch in time for this winter.

I'm figuring out the auto steer thing with the V-snowshoes and pressures. I'm still finding the cornering limits; so much grip! No fear of washout in sandy corners.

On a very familiar trails that I've timed repeatedly I am consistently about 10% slower than my Epic; not a bad thing and really to be expected. This bike rolls less but is so much fun rolling over everything and just enjoying listening to my own tires.

I've added a reverb and with this bikes geometry it really works as a trail bike. Bring on winter for the next test!

Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    I didn't think it would be that heavy.
    Was hoping someone else would post what they weigh it at. Not sure how accurate I am with the bike and myself on a bathroom scale.

Was really expecting more chatter on this bike but there are so many choices out there. Have seen one other post on the Sasquatch but it was just a redirect to Facebook; ughh.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by Emanlluf View Post
    2 week update: I'm really enjoying this bike and still think it represented one of the better values for a Bluto equipped bike that is an actual hard launch in time for this winter.

I'm figuring out the auto steer thing with the V-snowshoes and pressures. I'm still finding the cornering limits; so much grip! No fear of washout in sandy corners.

On a very familiar trails that I've timed repeatedly I am consistently about 10% slower than my Epic; not a bad thing and really to be expected. This bike rolls less but is so much fun rolling over everything and just enjoying listening to my own tires.

I've added a reverb and with this bikes geometry it really works as a trail bike. Bring on winter for the next test!

Was hoping someone else would post what they weigh it at. Not sure how accurate I am with the bike and myself on a bathroom scale.

Was really expecting more chatter on this bike but there are so many choices out there. Have seen one other post on the Sasquatch but it was just a redirect to Facebook; ughh.
    Your not far off on the weight 34.5
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Mine was 34 lbs 4oz stock on a digital scale in the shop. It's a size small. This link will take you to my first ride impression: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bigf...2630254799808/

We have a Facebook group called BIGFOOT Sightings (Fatbike). All Norco Bigfoot and Sasquatch owners are welcome -- ask to join!

My subsequent rides have been fantastic. I am not sold on the tires. They are light, but they have packed up on the sand-based trails on which I ride. I haven't specifically encountered self-steer, but I've been riding fat for a year and kind of automatically made PSI adjustments pre-ride. I did find the tires to slip in light mud and I almost dumped. Twice. The tires caliper measured at 4.126" in the shop.

Tips -- add a bash guard. I bent my Bigfoot chainring to the point of replacement. These rings are not nearly as soft, but you'll want to roll over things that are big and you'll appreciate the guard. And get some clear frame stickers for the areas where the cables will rub. The first gen Bigfoot had the same cable runs and I took the paint down to aluminum without noticing. The second and third runs last year (there were three) ran the cables away from the headset to avoid that problem.

I love my S'quatch. It eats singletrack like it's an hors d'oeuvre. One gulp and gone!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Hey Eaglehawk, good to hear I'm not alone. Thanks for the link but no facebook account. Not a luddite just not fond of facebook.

I'm about 140km into this bike and agree with its appetite for single track. Once I'm warmed up and find my fat tire cadence it just goes.

Thanks for the tips.
    I've been watching for wear and have a few spots. The chainstays were taking damage. Not chain slap with the clutched derailleur but likely stones etc. on both sides. I've wrapped them with a very light rubber, much lighter than an old tube.
    Now I'm seeing huge chipping on the down tube. Not even sure yet what is causing it but I'll put some clear film on there before I go out today. Usual suspect is the bike rack but have ruled it out for this damage. I'll definitely watch around the cables.
    I would like a bash guard but would first like to upgrade to a 1x setup. After adding the reverb any more changes will need to be weight drops. I'm not trying to build a light bike but starting at over 35lb this bike can't afford weight creep. I'll burn through at least one cassette and a couple chains before I make drivetrain changes.

Next changes:
    Immediately are some proper lock on grips. Norco put some pieces of foam on the handle bars where grips normally go. Combine that with me getting used to a wider bar and they are already torn on both sides.
    I also have some new spank spikes that will go on in place of the spd's once I need warmer footwear.
    Also have some pogies ready for winter. I bought some supposed to be great winter gloves but once the speeds get higher my fingers freeze.
    Still need to buy a good light. I'm already running out of sunlight with the days getting shorter and imminent time change.
    2015 Norco Sasquatch-Arrived!-capture.jpg

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    Mine was 34 lbs 4oz stock on a digital scale in the shop. It's a size small. This link will take you to my first ride impression: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bigf...2630254799808/

We have a Facebook group called BIGFOOT Sightings (Fatbike). All Norco Bigfoot and Sasquatch owners are welcome -- ask to join!
    Snowshoes? If so save them for the snow. If the Bulldozers will fit awesome trail tire.
    My subsequent rides have been fantastic. I am not sold on the tires. They are light, but they have packed up on the sand-based trails on which I ride. I haven't specifically encountered self-steer, but I've been riding fat for a year and kind of automatically made PSI adjustments pre-ride. I did find the tires to slip in light mud and I almost dumped. Twice. The tires caliper measured at 4.126" in the shop.

Tips -- add a bash guard. I bent my Bigfoot chainring to the point of replacement. These rings are not nearly as soft, but you'll want to roll over things that are big and you'll appreciate the guard. And get some clear frame stickers for the areas where the cables will rub. The first gen Bigfoot had the same cable runs and I took the paint down to aluminum without noticing. The second and third runs last year (there were three) ran the cables away from the headset to avoid that problem.

I love my S'quatch. It eats singletrack like it's an hors d'oeuvre. One gulp and gone!
    Snowshoes? If so save them for the snow. If the Bulldozers will fit awesome trail tire.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    RockyJo1, I pray at the altar of Nate for winter, so I won't be keeping the Snowshoes. They've spun on singletrack where Nate dug and held. And I won't be flipping tires on and off until the prices drop some more!

Emanluff, the grips might seem bad, but there is a reason for the foam. They are probably the warmest for your hands in winter. I put locking rubber ones on and I love them, but they do stay a little cooler than the foam. The alu bar gets really cold. Carbon would help, but I'm not going to do that.
    Last edited by Eaglehawk; 12-15-2014 at 10:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi, just put the deposit down on a medium here in Australia. Last one in country from warehouse. Lbs said they won't have anymore in oz until next year. Is there any problems that I should be worried about i.e rear hub like blizzard.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Now with some time and different riding under my belt:

Pro's:

-Great grip on dirt, wet leaves, mud, snow.
    -No mechanical issues, no creaks, noises.
    -Standover is great.
    -More capable than my XC bike.

Con's-

-V- snow shoes self steer on hardpack at lower (fun), pressures.
    -Weight. This bike is more work than my XC but duh, of course.
    -Some chipping in unexpected areas but have used rubber strips and clear film to address that.

Have changed:

-Seat post to a reverb.
    -Grips to ODI lock-ons.
    -Pedals to spd's and spank spikes for winter.

Plan to change:

-Single ring setup in the spring but having done some snow I can't give up much low end.
    -maybe new tires in the spring. Snow shoes are good for winter.
    -Would love to go carbon wheels but not his winter with other financial commitments.

2015 Norco Sasquatch-Arrived!-20141115_082345.jpg2015 Norco Sasquatch-Arrived!-20141122_085739.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi, had my bike for couple of weeks. No problems, took it out for ride on beach. Bit better than the pug with float( pug had 47mm rim on front). Really happy with bike now all I need is water bottle holder/ bottle will fit in med frame. Has anyone see frame bags and also bag for on top of top bar. Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Saron, I use a Revelate Designs Fuel Tank on the top bar. It's the only one I have found that is long enough that the Velcro strap reaches through the frame split! As for a bottle and holder, I use a Specialized Zee Cage II (side mount) in Hyper Green -- it's almost the perfect match to the yellow bits on the bike. You will need to use a short bottle so you don't have cable rub. I have just purchased a Shimano Dura Ace-Di2 adapter to shift the cage down a bit to give the bottle room. I think it's a battery mount, but that's OK. I'll shift the holder down far enough to allow a small Camelbak Podium bottle. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Saron, don't forget to check out the Facebook group, BIGFOOT Sightings (Fatbike). Everyone there owns a Sasquatch or Bigfoot. Great group. Lots of tips and problem solving, and fun times and photos. The people are all really great!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    How is the Bluto doing so far in the cold weather??

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    So far, so good. But it hasn't really been super cold. I understand there's a new seal kit for it that has temperature-resistant seals to ensure top performance. Borealis is shipping that, I think. I'll see if it's needed. Ask me the same question again in a couple weeks after it gets colder

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    So far the coldest I've ridden in is -4c (25f). The shock seemed fine and went through it's normal travel. Here in southern Ontario I won't be riding in much less than -10c weather. If you are in a colder climate the Borealis seal kit seems like a good idea even if 55$ is steep for a few gaskets and some grease.

Here:Review: Rockshox?s Bluto RL Fat Bike Suspension Fork & What It Means for Riders

Sram is saying- “RockShox products are designed for optimal performance in temperatures ranging from 0° C (32° F) to 38° C (100° F). As temperature affects performance, some adjustment of air pressure and damping may be required within this range. Product performance will degrade in temperatures outside this range. RockShox products are not recommended for use in temperatures below -12° C (10° F) and above 49° C (120° F).”

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    After riding the specialized, Rocky Mountain and Norco, I purchased a Norco Sasquatch. Had to put on ground control tires, specialized gel grips, satori adjustable head set and scarab flat yellow pedals it rides awesome. Just looking for a 1200 luman plus helmet light if anyone has and advice I would appreciate it. Testing a Niterider now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdock303 View Post
    After riding the specialized, Rocky Mountain and Norco, I purchased a Norco Sasquatch. Had to put on ground control tires, specialized gel grips, satori adjustable head set and scarab flat yellow pedals it rides awesome. Just looking for a 1200 luman plus helmet light if anyone has and advice I would appreciate it. Testing a Niterider now.
    Murdock303, Would you happen to have pics of the bike with Ground Controls? I have a buddy who has a Sasquatch on order and he's also planning on installing some ground controls but he's worried that the chain is going to rub on the side of the tire. He'll be running a 1x10 setup on it one it arrives.
    Current bikes:
    2018 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL
    2018 Trek Farley 7
    2015 Framed Alaskan Carbon
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    No Chain rub here. Love the 2x10 kept spinning out on the 1x10 Blizzard. I also purchased a specialized fat boy for my son.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Tried to post a picture but no luck.

mtbr member
    Sent you a private message.
    Current bikes:
    2018 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL
    2018 Trek Farley 7
    2015 Framed Alaskan Carbon
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Murdock303, welcome to the world of Sasquatch! I love mine. Check out the group, Bigfoot Sightings (fatbike) on Facebook and ask to join -- it's all Norco, all the time. I use two lights -- a Light and Motion Taz 800 on the bars and I was fortunate to get a Serfas True 2500 (I think) for the helmet. The latter retailed at $460 Canadian (I got it at half off). It's more light than I need, but it will run at the 800-1000 lumen range for about 3.5-4 hours. I got it because of the deal, but also because it'll still deliver a lot of light in the cold when other lights drain because of cold. They both work GREAT.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I have also recently purchased the 2015 Norco Sasquatch 6.1.

Had the bike for about 2 weeks now. In my area, the LBS's consider fat tire bikes to be WINTER only bikes but I'm going on record and calling it out as BS. But hey, because they think this bike is out of season now I got it for $700 off the original price. My LBS was blowing out all 2015 fatbiks.
    Lucky or unlucky me, I happened to walk into the store about 7 weeks ago and saw the sasquatch and gel in love with it right of the bat.
    I have never been a rigid fork kind of guy. A friend of mine has the specialized Fat Boy. I took his out for a few rips and I found the bike to be fun but the rigid fork was so awkward for my riding style.
    I knew right there that I needed the bluto equipt on my fat bike.
    The Sasquatch was one of the only bikes in 2015 equipt with a bluto.(all that is going to change for 2016, a bunch of bike will be bluto equipt next year) I know there were a few others but not available to me here in my home town. Anyways... Enough about that. How about the bike?!! I've been searching everywhere since I put down the deposit on this bike for info from people who is riding them and there's not a lot of you guys out there sharing your experiences with them.
    So this is my first impression on the 2015 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

Appearance:
    Bike has a hot paint job. The blue Color is deadly. And I like the lemon yellow highlights. The bluto on this bike makes it look bad ass.
    The bike is stock except for the grips,pedels and colored rim tape.

Weight: bike weighs 35.4 lbs I have a size large. The weight of this bike prefect really. I wouldn't want it much lighter. And the weight is balance really well from front to back.

Winter riding: I only took this bike out in the snow for a test ride when I frist put down the deposit, now it's summer pretty much and haven't had a chance to really ride it in the snow.

Summer riding: only had two good rides with this bike but that's all I need. It's a great bike. I'm having a blast riding it. I already know I will be selling my 29'r bike for a 29inch wheelset for my fatbike. Don't get me wrong, I am seriously loving the fat tires on the single track, but I know this bike will preform amazing with a 29inch wheel set.

Issues:
    Now, the auto steer is a very evident problem. I'm sure you can get used to it but I really want to correct it as much as I can. I'm going to start with changing the stem to a stumpier one and drop it down by removing the spacers. I'll add a riser bar as well.

The chain rubs on the tire only when in the granny gear. It's really not a problem because of how little time I spend in that gear. But it is worth mentioning since it can be a problem in the right conditions. I was doing a hard muddy climb and the mud from the tire was transferring to the chain and then in return made its way into the derailer.(Now we have a problem) but again only the perfect conditions would create this problem so I can easily look the other way.

Something else worth mentioning:
    The rear dropout slots for the wheels axel to slid in are really short. The entire cerrcomfrence of the quick release doesn't even seat all the into the drop outs. It's like the slots could have been cut just a little deeper so the axel can seat in the drop out a little further. The reason why I'm mentioning it is because when I was doing a bit of a hip jump, the rear wheel literally fell off and in return I had a nasty bail. It bent my rotor and scratch my chain-stay. Now I hammer that Quick Release down really tight. No problems anymore but I still think that this was overlooked by Norco.

The grips and pedels that come stock on this bike are pathetic. Personally, at $2750 CDN I expect nicer grips and no pedels would have been better then what was provided on this bike.

Overall:
    I love the bike. I'm planing on selling my 29'r for a 29inch wheel set for this bike for the summers. Making this bike. All season bike. Even with the fat tires, I would still ride this all year. It's a blast. Add a whole new element to something I already love.
    The fat tires allow me to go anywhere I want. No limitations.
    I am a stoked dude right now.
    Last edited by ManitobaSasquatch; 04-25-2015 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Correction on part name

mtbr member
    just picked up a little used 2015 Sasquatch my first fat bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Check out the BIGFOOT Sightings (fatbike) Facebook group. If you're interested, then request to join!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    @ManitobaSasquatch self steer is related to air pressure not equipment. Start playing with your air pressure before buying anything.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Anybody know when the 2016's will be out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanthophyll View Post
    Anybody know when the 2016's will be out?
    Heres the specs http://frameworkfitness.com/wp-conte...lease-2016.pdf
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Update on Sasquatch:

From the onset I was not fond of the V-tire snow shoes. Finally did an upgrade:

Maxxis Minions on 80mm Mulefuts mounted tubeless by my LBS.

Tires newly mounted at about 7psi are measuring 4.45 inches.

The bike has only dropped 0.4 pounds but this is still positive considering how much bigger the minions are and how much more tread they have. They are not a light tire.

My medium Sasquatch is now 34.1 lbs with my winter flat pedals and single ring.

The rear tire clears the chain by 0.6mm and the frame by about 10mm.2015 Norco Sasquatch-Arrived!-20160123_135649_001.jpg2015 Norco Sasquatch-Arrived!-20160123_144852.jpg