2015 Mukluk and wider tires- Mtbr.com
    Riding the Burning River

2015 Mukluk and wider tires

Hey folks,

I picked up a 2015 Mukluk 3 at the swap last year, and have really been enjoying it as a fun trail bike. However, I'd like to go tubeless, but with the older 135/170 spacing, options are limited. What the largest tire size any of you have fitted to this generation of Mukluk? I've heard up to 4.6", but I'm a bit skeptical...I feel like a 4.2" or 4.3" tire would probably be ok, but then sizes vary so much between manufacturer, it's hard to tell.

Any advice on rim width/ tire combos would be really helpful.

Thanks,
    Phil
    Regards,

Phil

mtbr member
    I have a 2014 that I run 4.8 Buds on 65mm Marge Lites. Mine is set up as a 1 x 11, with the BB shimmed all of the way towards the drive side. The chain still rubs the tire (slightly) in low gear, but it is ok if you willing to spend some time dialing it in.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ascent View Post
    Hey folks,

I picked up a 2015 Mukluk 3 at the swap last year, and have really been enjoying it as a fun trail bike. However, I'd like to go tubeless, but with the older 135/170 spacing, options are limited. What the largest tire size any of you have fitted to this generation of Mukluk? I've heard up to 4.6", but I'm a bit skeptical...I feel like a 4.2" or 4.3" tire would probably be ok, but then sizes vary so much between manufacturer, it's hard to tell.

Any advice on rim width/ tire combos would be really helpful.

Thanks,
    Phil
    Surly Edna or similar should fly. Labelled as a 4.3 @1330g.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

rth009
    May 2010
    Id go with the Edna. Or something by 45 North. Unless you want to truncate your drivetrain, Id just steer clear of Bud/Lou, or similar size tires, like the Minion 4.8, and you should be fine.

Riding the Burning River
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    Id go with the Edna. Or something by 45 North. Unless you want to truncate your drivetrain, Id just steer clear of Bud/Lou, or similar size tires, like the Minion 4.8, and you should be fine.
    I'm actually considering the 45North Vanhelga or the Minion FBF/FBR in 4.0, since Maxxis seems to run a bit wide anyway. But looking at the Edna, a 4.3" tire, that's a damn good option too. Thanks so much for everyone's input...I'm planning on keeping the 2x10 drivetrain (at least for now), and I'm about to buy a set of Sun-Ringle Mulfut 80 wheels to make this work.
    Regards,

Phil

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ascent View Post
    I'm actually considering the 45North Vanhelga or the Minion FBF/FBR in 4.0, since Maxxis seems to run a bit wide anyway. But looking at the Edna, a 4.3" tire, that's a damn good option too. Thanks so much for everyone's input...I'm planning on keeping the 2x10 drivetrain (at least for now), and I'm about to buy a set of Sun-Ringle Mulfut 80 wheels to make this work.
    Frankly, the Maxxis are not as fat as I'd really appreciate, nor do they roll as well as they could.
    Van Helga is a very nice tire where an aggressive tread is necessary however, they are limited to 4.2 in 26. Soft tread may wear faster but I take performance more seriously than tire wear.

Sand and summer tire of choice is Jumbo Jim due to weight and Jeep ready. They are available in 3.8, 4.4 and 4.8. Good fuel economy, excellent sand performance.
    More aggressive treads are a choice for more aggressive riding and rocky, rooty etc.

The MuleFut wheels are a good choice for either tubed or tubeless.

Let us know how it goes with your project!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have a 2013 with the 170 rear. In the snow I use 80mm Rolling Darryl and a Maxxis FBF 4.8 on the rear. Extremely tight. Have to swing the Alternators back all the way. The crank is an older RF Turbine 3x Xtype. 32T in the middle and 22T on the inside. Chain rubs a little in the 22 but the speeds are so low I risk it for short stretches if I need the advantage.

A 4.3-4.4 would probably be perfect.

I’m running a lefty on the front so no limits there.

Riding the Burning River
    Thanks to everyone who contributed. I ordered the wheels today with rim strips and tubeless tape; now I have to decide on tires. The Jumbo Jim comes in a 26 x 4.4" size, which might be the best choice given what everyone has said. Kenda makes a 4.5" Juggernaut in tubeless-ready as well - has anyone had any experience with those?

Looking forward to getting this beast setup tubeless!

Cheers,
    Phil
    Regards,

Phil

This place needs an enema
    The Kenda casing seems to be made of papier mâché.

Riding the Burning River
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Frankly, the Maxxis are not as fat as I'd really appreciate, nor do they roll as well as they could.
    Van Helga is a very nice tire where an aggressive tread is necessary however, they are limited to 4.2 in 26. Soft tread may wear faster but I take performance more seriously than tire wear.

Sand and summer tire of choice is Jumbo Jim due to weight and Jeep ready. They are available in 3.8, 4.4 and 4.8. Good fuel economy, excellent sand performance.
    More aggressive treads are a choice for more aggressive riding and rocky, rooty etc.

The MuleFut wheels are a good choice for either tubed or tubeless.

Let us know how it goes with your project!
    The bike will see a lot of rocky/rooty single track (I live in Eastern PA), so maybe the VanHelga is the way to go. How is the Jumbo Jim in rocks/roots? I'm planning on keeping the tubed wheels as a sandy/winter option, so maybe that's a good choice for them.
    Regards,

Phil

Rippin da fAt
    I have not had trouble with the JJ's. I run em through the summer and enjoy em. I don't treat my fatbike like I do my plussers, so that may lend to the JJ's being a good choice. I ride mostly loose, loamy places that do have rocky rooty sections that make for a variety of terrain types. It's more Jeepin than drag racing!

JJ 4.4 would be a good tire for many terrain options. A bit fatter than Van Helga but still leaving you with some room in the frame/fork.
    Doctor recommended...

Riding the Burning River
    I have not had trouble with the JJ's. I run em through the summer and enjoy em. I don't treat my fatbike like I do my plussers, so that may lend to the JJ's being a good choice. I ride mostly loose, loamy places that do have rocky rooty sections that make for a variety of terrain types. It's more Jeepin than drag racing!

JJ 4.4 would be a good tire for many terrain options. A bit fatter than Van Helga but still leaving you with some room in the frame/fork.
    I ended up finding a pair of JJ's in 4.4" for $35/tire. Wheels will be here today with rim strips and tubeless tape; I have a set of rotors, and the tires and cassette will show up next week sometime. Looking forward to getting out on the 4.4" tires!
    Regards,

Phil

Riding the Burning River
    2015 Mukluk and wider tires-mukluktubeless2020.jpg

She's done! Clearances are very tight but by playing with the Alternator dropouts I got it where it needs to be. I thought I'd need to be all the way back, but there's actually more room laterally if it's only about 1/4 of the way back from fully forward. Getting the tires to seat wasn't fun - Sun Ringle recommended 1 or 2 layers of tape, but I needed 3 in the front and 4 in the back to get the bead to seat properly, even with a compressor. Put in 10 miles of singletrack today and it was glorious - loads of fun!

Thanks to everyone that pitched in with suggestions. This has worked out very well.

Cheers,
    Phil
    Regards,

Phil

Rippin da fAt
    Phil, that looks great! Many adventures are on tap, don'tcha know?
    Doctor recommended...

turtles make me hot
    IMO, Edna is the answer here.
    I like turtles

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Between Edna and JJ, there are two very nice options. I think Phil outdid himself on the bike tho'.
    Doctor recommended...

Riding the Burning River
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    They Ednas will be next when I wear these out. The main reason JJ got the nod was because Universal had two left in 4.4" from last year at $35/ea. Hard to beat that, but I'll probably never see that price again...
    Regards,

Phil

Riding the Burning River
    Phil, that looks great! Many adventures are on tap, don'tcha know?
    I do know! There's a super techy-and-climby trail near here that she's getting tested out on soon.
    Regards,

Phil

Rippin da fAt
    I have to say, 35 is a steal for a JJ 4.4. They will do well and work decently, especially in sand at low pressure. Weight and rolling resistance of JJ will be better than the Edna but Edna traction will be better out of sand. As always, there are tradeoffs.
    Doctor recommended...

turtles make me hot
    WOW! That is a sweet deal.
    I like turtles