2015 fatboy with bluto- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

2015 fatboy with bluto

anybody know what size bluto they are using? looks to be 80mm from the pics and youtube.. looking to upgrade my fatboy and i know spesh recommends 80mm.. stuck whether to get the 100mm or 80mm.. your thoughts?

Loser
    I have a 100, love it. Perhaps going to 120 would be better, but the 100 is great. I do not think 80 is not enough, but I understand it keeps the geometry exactly the same as the carbon fork. You can change the 80 to 100 with a different air chamber, but I don't think you can take a 100 to 120 the same way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    All Blutos are convertable between 80/100/120mm of travel by changing the shaft in the spring.

Loser
    cool.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    so you guys think the 2015 fatboy with bluto has 80mm? i figured in keeping up with what spesh recommends.. their website says nothing about which fork they use.. 80mm still has about 3.14 inches of play.. 100mm has about 4 inches..

SPECIALIZED FATBOY 2015 - YouTube

Loser
    90% sure that's 80mm.

mtbr member

2015 fatboy with bluto

I would guess its a 80 mm also

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    sold my 2012 fs for $2000 just now.. Hated selling the bike.. Had too many upgrades on it.. Oh well, more upgrade money for the fatty to make me feel good.. Going with bluto 80mm, figured i can always change it to 100mm.. Plus there is a reason why spesh recommends it.. xt brakes up next.. Hoping 80mm should be ok..

goodbye scott.. Happy trails
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 fatboy with bluto-image.jpg  

Anchorage, AK

2015 fatboy with bluto

Saw this at the LBS the other day and I shoulda have asked on the travel. Great lookin' bike!

Sent from my wireless communication apparatus
    two wheel livin'..

banned
    Sep 2008
    ^^^^^^^it's 80. you can tell by looking at it from a mile away.

so when's mavic gonna do a crossMAX fat wheelset. i'd be ALL over a set of those. mavic completes FTW.

rog

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My Pro is 80mm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Kunkel View Post
    My Pro is 80mm.
    thanks for confirming the fork.. how are you liking the ride so far? did you wish it came with a longer fork?

mtbr member
    I've got a 2015 (Orange) Comp Fatboy on order and have been discussing putting on a Bluto with my LBS. They have confirmed that Specialized feels anything above 80mm on the Bluto will adversely throw off the bike's geometry. Therefore their "official" stance is 80mm only.
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pspycho View Post
    I've got a 2015 (Orange) Comp Fatboy on order and have been discussing putting on a Bluto with my LBS. They have confirmed that Specialized feels anything above 80mm on the Bluto will adversely throw off the bike's geometry. Therefore their "official" stance is 80mm only.
    it actually doesn't look bad with the 80mm.. not planning on doing crazy jumps on it just a little bit of extra squish upfront.. thanks for everyone's response btw, just ordered my 80mm bluto (among other things).. should be here tomorrow.. and now the wait begins

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by av8or View Post
    thanks for confirming the fork.. how are you liking the ride so far? did you wish it came with a longer fork?
    I feel it is enough for me. The key phrase being for me. Having said that, my Carve Expert also has 80mm and I don't find myself wanting more there either. Many do.

I have seen where one can step up by changing out a part for ~$30. And also one can adjust a longer one down too. Some things to consider.

Either way any Bluto works wonders in my opinion.

Ride lots.
    Feb 2011
    80 - 120 mm is the same fork, with different "Bottomless Tokens" installed:

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign....to_reba_sm.pdf
    I can't think of anything witty.

Loser
    Just removing tokens won't change the travel, you need a different cartridge.

mtbr member
    I went 120mm Bluto and I'm glad I did. The stock headtube angle might be fine for slow snow/sand riding, but not ideal for trail riding. The 120 slackens it out a bit and makes for a nice comfortable ride when cruising, but it absolutely slays trail when ripping. With the 120mm Bluto it feels like a proper trail bike with big tires vs. a cruiser bike you can take in the dirt.
    20 SJ Evo 29, 20 DB Release 29, 18 Vitus Dominer DH

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I went 120mm Bluto and I'm glad I did. The stock headtube angle might be fine for slow snow/sand riding, but not ideal for trail riding. The 120 slackens it out a bit and makes for a nice comfortable ride when cruising, but it absolutely slays trail when ripping. With the 120mm Bluto it feels like a proper trail bike with big tires vs. a cruiser bike you can take in the dirt.
    again my only issue there is why would they come out with a fatboy with only 80mm.. why not place 100mm if difference in geo is only marginal or good for trail riding.. they said it would change the riding style of the bike.. to be honest i like the way it rides.. on sand and trail.. can't comment on snow since we don't get snow here in san diego.. and i don't think they placed a bluto there for snow or sand anyway ( i could be wrong ).. it's there for trail riding.. the new expert shares the same 1x11 with rigid fork ( best for snow so i heard for less maintenance )..
    glad you enjoy the 120mm.. maybe it's your riding style, height .. but i went with what was recommended.. can't go wrong with that..

mtbr member
    I really like how it rode stock, but I'm blown away by how it rides now.
    Even an 80mm Bluto is a big step up over the stock fork. It might be a 2 lb penalty, but its worth it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    ^^^waiting for my bluto to arrive.. says out for delivery.. did you use the same spokes on your rims.. also, planning to install the fork myself.. i read on other threads parts needed so i got the fsa crown race 1.5".. any tips? thanks

mtbr member
    I went with an 80mm because the stock geometry felt almost perfect to me. The bike feels very well balanced with this fork. I also went with a 135mm hope hub and 150mm adapters so I can switch back to the stock fork if needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015 fatboy with bluto-20140813_192415.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I saw you also went Mulefuts. I have one arriving tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    [QUOTE=av8or;11427480]the new expert shares the same 1x11 with rigid fork ( best for snow so i heard for less maintenance )..
    QUOTE]

I haven't seen that 1x11 on the experts. I have seen the new rear hubs though. They seem to b migrating from the originals....

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    +1 pro has 1x11. Expert is 2x10.

Specialized Bicycle Components

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    stephen and paochow ,well.. if you guys read my post i said the "new" 2015 expert.. might not be offered here in the states.. i dunno..

Specialized Fatboy Pro And Expert Fat Bikes For 2015 |

and here's the video from youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WYZHHOs1HM

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by av8or View Post
    stephen and paochow ,well.. if you guys read my post i said the "new" 2015 expert.. might not be offered here in the states.. i dunno..

Specialized Fatboy Pro And Expert Fat Bikes For 2015 |

and here's the video from youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WYZHHOs1HM
    Yeah that silvery one is called the Superlight (SL). Different model than the Expert. Has unique rims to the other models.

I did read your post. Have seen all the 2015's in person. The article's a bit misleading is all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    My local shop said we are supposed to get the Superlight (SL), and the MSRP is in the $5K range.

2015 Specialized Sneak Peek ? Fatboy SL and Venge LR | Erik's Bike and Board Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Kunkel View Post
    I saw you also went Mulefuts. I have one arriving tomorrow.
    Yes, I went with them so I could run tubeless. They seal up around the bead extremely well. I have to stand on the tires to break them loose.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I have to stand on the tires to break them loose.
    this just sounds ridiculous.

rog

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    Yes, I went with them so I could run tubeless. They seal up around the bead extremely well. I have to stand on the tires to break them loose.
    Off to pick mine up now. Pegasus tape is waiting too. After destroying 2 new Ground Controls and 1 SL rim trying to go tubeless I'm trusting the Mulefut will be more secure.

I laced a used SL rim yesterday. Gonna try again. This time with earplugs inserted....a pair for the dog too...heh heh heh.

Sorry for the hijack OP.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm running the 120 on my first year expert and I love that geometry, Ive been looking at the 15 Carbon frames and the head tube is higher than the aluminum frame by over an inch, do you thing the are still running the 80? that would really lower the front of the bike I would think. I am going to bring mine to the shop and compare

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    90mm Bluto air shaft?
    Always thought the air shaft came in 20 mm increments, assuming this is new. I have a specialized Fatboy currently at 80mm (specialized recommended). Originally had it at 100mm, I liked it, but with 80mm its much more nimble. but wish I had a little bit more travel. although 10 mm is not a lot might be perfect for what I'm looking for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    so when's mavic gonna do a crossMAX fat wheelset. i'd be ALL over a set of those. mavic completes FTW.

rog
    Spoke to Mavic late last year, the answer is they aren't, unless they get requests from manufacturers with a good outlook to doing lots of volume, they aren't going to enter the fat bike market.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    This is my Fatboy Expert with 80mm Bluto, I like the way it handles. I rode a friends Fatboy with 100mm and it felt a little unbalanced. May have been the seat/bar setup but it just didn't feel right for me.

2015 fatboy with bluto-iu-said-i-will-try-send-money-you-135.jpg

mtbr member
    The air shafts have a ton of theads, so you could easily trim 10mm off to get a custom size.

My 120mm Bluto got stock down at 96mm (20% sag mark) and I was amazing how much better it felt on tight twisty flatter terrain. I did miss the extra travel in the rough though. When I fixed it and returned to 120mm of travel it felt weird at first, but now I really appreciate the extra travel.