2013 South Uist long weekend bivi- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2013 South Uist long weekend bivi

Next year (May/June) I'm thinking of a long, but very short notice (to guarantee the best weather) weekend bivi ride on South & North Uist on the Outer Hebrides.

Travelling up by car to Oban, leave the car there and take the ferry with the Fat Bike to Lockboisdale, then head north to the top of the North Uist and back down south again.
    Taking the beaches north if there's a tail wind or if there's a head wind, take the road north and get blown back down the numerous beaches.

Around 170miles over 3 days.

Anyone fancy this?

PS I've not asked the wife for a the pass yet

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Could be the excuse i need to finally go home.
    The bit in the middle will be rubbish.
    I will probably have to pick a date in advance though, june better as i think im doing the highland trail thingy in may.
    From what the folks said they actually had a summer up there this year (unlike Edinburgh)

mtbr member
    Cheers Uistboy

Is this the middle bit you said was rubbish?
    Streetmap.co.uk- search results for 76999,853784

Any chance you can move the arrow to the best and the worst places on the North or South then post up the links here?

Ta

mtbr member
    If I'm in the country I'll try to make that. Uist used to be home for me too (a long time ago)
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Most of south uist is no problem, i rode a good chunk of it on the heb challenge a few years ago and even on a normal mountain bike was great fun, a combination of beach, machair and road should get you through Benbecula. Although it looks close on the map you cannot get across the sand from bencecula to Baleshare, you will have to take the road to Caranish. From there to Bayhead the shoreline is mostly rocky and even at low tide there will be lots of pools and deep channels to get through. Not recommended. Kirkibost Island is only just accessible at low tide from the south, you could get stuck there very easily. From bayhead round the west coast again is fantastic and there would be no problems with the tides, it starts to get rocky at Hougarry and it would be back on the road again. There are some fantastic beaches at Hosta but they are isolated and hard to reach from the coast. Further north the island of Vallay is easily reached by walkers at low tide and there are fantastic beaches past sollas (planes used to land here during the war) almost all the way to Bernaray. Would be road from there to Lochmaddy.

A couple of the dudes from backcountrybiking did parts of it earlier this year

Backcountrybiking: Fatties beach holiday - Western Isles style

velo, when and why were you in uist, im curious as to whether our paths may have crossed previous to strathpuffer.

Andy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uistboy View Post
    ...velo, when and why were you in uist, im curious as to whether our paths may have crossed previous to strathpuffer.

Andy
    Before the coronation We lived in Kenneth Drive.

My main memory is being lifted bodily into the ditches by the wind in the winter gales on the way to school at Daliburgh.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If I'm still around then yes, its too far away for me to commit John

Members who have read this thread: 0