2013 Pugsley- Mtbr.com

Thread: 2013 Pugsley

mtbr member

2013 Pugsley

Had a chance to ride the 2013 Pugsley today when I went to get my fenders. Wow. If I'd had 1600 dollars to blow I would have walked out with it. Gorgeous yellow, awesome shifters, and compared to my Mukluk, light as a feather. Maybe it's the Marge Lites? Loved the mountain bike feel to it. Had a great time riding through the parking lot and hubby had to pry my hands off of it when we left.

Too bad the shifters aren't available on their own. Can I put the Marge rims on my Mukluk?

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    Had a chance to ride the 2013 Pugsley today when I went to get my fenders. Wow. If I'd had 1600 dollars to blow I would have walked out with it. Gorgeous yellow, awesome shifters, and compared to my Mukluk, light as a feather. Maybe it's the Marge Lites? Loved the mountain bike feel to it. Had a great time riding through the parking lot and hubby had to pry my hands off of it when we left.

Too bad the shifters aren't available on their own. Can I put the Marge rims on my Mukluk?
    yellow rocks and yes marge lites can fit the Mukky but the OEM rims on the new pug are lrg marges.

mtbr member
    Bethany... welcome to the world of upgradeitis... you can lighten up your current rims by drilling them out, this saves something like 2#'s IIRC.... you should also check your tires, if you have 27tpi casings you can save another lb by going with the 120tpi... while 3#'s total weight may not seem like much, you have to remember that it's rotating mass so you'll feel a big difference.

For me, I have a good 20-40#'s of old man fat and beer belly that I can drop before I spend a ton of $ on lighter stuff... plus pushing the extra heavy wheels/tires will help me lose that body fat faster

Oh... BTW if you ever decide to leave your hubby let me know, because I think I'm in love... I love that you have bike lust

nvphatty
    the last line got me FB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    the last line got me FB
    haha....So cool that NBT and Bethany are into fat bikes, I'm very jealous of their hubbies. I just got the look and the speech about buying bike stuff, so I have to sell off some stuff to justify buying new stuff... guess I'm a bit of a bike hoarder.

mtbr member
    Lol, FB! My hubs probably wouldn't agree with you though about being cool & loving bikes. Especially once he sees my conundrum muni I have coming. n+1 anybody

Beth, the pugs does ride lighter than it looks, huh? Your muk rocks it though! When we riding again? Wilderness is lonely without you!

aka bOb
    My wife rode mine this weekend now she is demanding one. Boy this is going to cut into the bike slush fund.

Human Test Subject
    yellow rocks and yes marge lites can fit the Mukky but the OEM rims on the new pug are lrg marges.
    2013 pugs have MLs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob View Post
    haha....So cool that NBT and Bethany are into fat bikes, I'm very jealous of their hubbies. I just got the look and the speech about buying bike stuff, so I have to sell off some stuff to justify buying new stuff... guess I'm a bit of a bike hoarder.
    I got my GF on a bike 6 months ago, she now commutes most days so Stage 1 is complete.

Stage 2 involves the purchase of a brand new 'PHAT' bike for her but I have a feeling I should spend the money on a little shiny round thing first, Priority's? PHAT bike rite!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    Lol, FB! My hubs probably wouldn't agree with you though about being cool & loving bikes. Especially once he sees my conundrum muni I have coming. n+1 anybody

Beth, the pugs does ride lighter than it looks, huh? Your muk rocks it though! When we riding again? Wilderness is lonely without you!
    I'm not too worried about it, I bought my wife a SC Superlight ~9 years ago... she hardly rode it, she wanted a fun bike to putz around the neighborhood with, so I bought her a pink cruiser with white flames & 3 speed drive train... she's ridden it a dozen times in 5 years... biking isn't her thing, which is fine because the girl I like riding with most loves bikes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Pugsley-dscn2817.jpg  

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    2013 pugs have MLs
    taken from surlys site. Hell i'll ad the link of all the specs listed that way if you find it not to your liking you can call them directly. Pugsley | Bikes | Surly Bikes

Wheels
    Front Hub Surly New 135mm disc, 32h. 135mm. Threaded for SS freewheel. Black
    Rear Hub Shimano Deore, FH-M525. QR. 32h. Black
    Rims Surly Large Marge, 32h. Welded seam. 65mm width. Black
    Front Tire Surly Larry, 3.8˝ Steers good
    Rear Tire Surly Endomorph, 3.7˝ Paddles good

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob View Post
    biking isn't her thing, which is fine because the girl I like riding with most loves bikes
    heck she even sports a camelbac

superluker
    Aug 2009
    taken from surlys site. Hell i'll ad the link of all the specs listed that way if you find it not to your liking you can call them directly. Pugsley | Bikes | Surly Bikes

Wheels
    Front Hub Surly New 135mm disc, 32h. 135mm. Threaded for SS freewheel. Black
    Rear Hub Shimano Deore, FH-M525. QR. 32h. Black
    Rims Surly Large Marge, 32h. Welded seam. 65mm width. Black
    Front Tire Surly Larry, 3.8˝ Steers good
    Rear Tire Surly Endomorph, 3.7˝ Paddles good
    If you check out the pictures of the bike the wheels do look to be the MLs. One tell tale sign is the black sides of the rims. The LMs had a machined braking surface. Also, if you check out the information hole at the downloads, the 2013 catalog also states MLs on the bike for 2013s.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by taehome View Post
    If you check out the pictures of the bike the wheels do look to be the MLs. One tell tale sign is the black sides of the rims. The LMs had a machined braking surface. Also, if you check out the information hole at the downloads, the 2013 catalog also states MLs on the bike for 2013s.
    they may 'look' to be them and yes i'm aware of how the sides differ between the 2 rims so if there's conflicting info on surlys own site the general public ends up not knowing whats what.

edited: you are correct the download specs list ML's, hence conflicting info listed.

superluker
    Aug 2009
    they may 'look' to be them and yes i'm aware of how the sides differ between the 2 rims so if there's conflicting info on surlys own site the general public ends up not knowing whats what.
    It did appear the OP new whats what and might be part of the general public. You may wanna give them a call (as you suggested) to clear up these discrepancys.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by taehome View Post
    It did appear the OP new whats what and might be part of the general public. You may wanna give them a call (as you suggested) to clear up these discrepancys.
    no need for me to call as i read it from their site.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    double wall snow bike rims are a thing of the past. a good deal of people have problems with their fatty being too heavy.

They are spec'd with MLs. I will throw my whole fleet to the alley if I am wrong in this statement.

nvphatty
    Unless theres another rim out there that resembles ML's i would have to say without reservation these are ML's on a 2013 pug.
    Last edited by nvphatty; 10-03-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Human Test Subject
    The MLs talked my friend out of a necromancer and into a yellow pug.

mtbr member
    I kinda like the red Pugs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013 Pugsley-p1010002-1280x960-.jpg  

nvphatty
    and to muddy the waters even further here's a red 2013 pug ^^^ with LM rims.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by jbent View Post
    double wall snow bike rims are a thing of the past. a good deal of people have problems with their fatty being too heavy.

They are spec'd with MLs. I will throw my whole fleet to the alley if I am wrong in this statement.
    haha where's the nearest alley by your house??

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    That red pugs is far from stock spec

mtbr member
    My stock Mukluk has Fat Sheba rims and Larry tires. Guessing my bike weight is around 33lbs. Not sure what the Pugsley weighs in with the Marge Lites. It just "felt" more agile, lighter and the shifting was so much better than my crappy grip ones and wondered if it was just the rims. Would a different type of tire make the difference in agility/feeling lighter? Tires on the Pugsley were the Larry and the Endomorph on the back.

When I looked online, the ML ran in 160 a rim. Endomorphs run around 90 if I wanted to add one to the back. That runs in around 410. That's a big ouch just for a upgrade. Still cheaper than 1600..LOL.

Hubby would kill me if I drilled holes in my rims. I'd have to find someone in Omaha or Lincoln that could do both rims in a day and sneak the bike back before he got home from work. If I really wanted to upgrade, it would have to be with a better shifting system first.

New Pugsley is a great bike, just wanted to make a post in case someone was looking at one and it's worth the money.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    More likely a different tire pressure makes it feel different....

My moonlander (with BFL) with a bit higher pressure felt like a race MTB compared to a friends Pugsley (with Larry) with lesser tire pressure on the same track.

Self-defeatist
    Surly's Canadian distributor shows Marge lites on the spec sheet.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    haha where's the nearest alley by your house??
    The only bikes you will find there are some stock Magna and Next in need of serious adjustment. They look like little orphans hungry for some love and affection.

Regular Large Marge and XC LM is not available any longer, my LBS can not get them from their distributor as they are a discontinued product.

I believe photography as fact as much as I buy into that dude who walks on water.

Dinner for wolves
    The image on the surly website shows what appears to be drilled rim in front and a non drilled one out back. I'm not helping anything, am I?
    Responds to gravity

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak View Post
    The image on the surly website shows what appears to be drilled rim in front and a non drilled one out back. I'm not helping anything, am I?
    no but then i'm most likely not either

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Is there an online shop where I could buy a Pugsley?
    I can see that you say it costs about 1600 dollars but here at home (Iceland) its about 2500 dollars.
    Best regards!
    Haraldur Helgi

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Haraldur Helgi View Post
    Is there an online shop where I could buy a Pugsley?
    I can see that you say it costs about 1600 dollars but here at home (Iceland) its about 2500 dollars.
    Universal Cycles -- Surly Pugsley Complete Bike
    Bikeman Surly Pugsley Complete Bike 18 inch Snowblind White

Human Test Subject
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    The MLs talked my friend out of a necromancer and into a yellow pug.
    Just saw the 2013 necros at the LBS. They have cutout rims too. I guess Surly did the math and found it's cheaper to make 3 fat rims than 6 or whatever it was. Good news for the customer!

mtbr member
    Only issue is they are not allowed to ship.

From Universal Cycles:
    Although this product may be ordered online, it must be picked up in our Local Portland, Oregon Store. We are unable to ship Surly complete bicycles per our dealer agreement.

From Bikeman (This may be the way to go)
    Surly complete bikes cannot be shipped. However, we know a lot of folks derive great pleasure from assembling their own bikes. If you fit this description we can ship you a DIY package consisting of a Bike Creator Frame and a Bike Creator Build so you can assemble your own Surly bike with the exact same spec that comes on a pre-built Surly complete bike. Just purchase the Bike Creator Frame and matching Bike Creator Build shown in the 'Related Items' on the right and two or more boxes will arrive on your doorstep with all you need to assemble your favorite Surly steed. You must order both the Bike Creator Frame and the Bike Creator Build together, they are not available separately. No substitutions or omissions on Bike Creator Builds.

mtbr member
    Does the 2013 Necro come with drilled rolling Darryls? I wonder if they just do drilled only now. I never really wanted cutouts anyways and it was actually one of the reasons I didn't go with a Moonie(yeah, crazy I know!) Just don't like the looks of em.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    Does the 2013 Necro come with drilled rolling Darryls? I wonder if they just do drilled only now. I never really wanted cutouts anyways and it was actually one of the reasons I didn't go with a Moonie(yeah, crazy I know!) Just don't like the looks of em.
    I don't remember. There was one in the shop, but I didn't take a good look at it. The rims were drilled out though. Go to Cycle Works on 27th and see it. Get a pic of the Pugs while you are there. Then you can back me up in that the Pugs had Marge Lites with a post. LOL. Even hubby said they were Marge Lites as he couldn't figure out why someone would call rims after fat people names until the guy at the shop explained it.

Members who have read this thread: 3