2013 Mukluk new fork for thru axle/bigger tire?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

2013 Mukluk new fork for thru axle/bigger tire?

Hello fat bikers.
    I have a 2013 mukluk, which I actually really like even now in 2019. I could try and sell her, but I'd probably get next to nothing for the bike and I just put on new brakes etc so I'm willing to keep her and do some upgrades (within reasonable price rangers) so I can continue to ride in the winter.

This is only for winter riding in Southern Ontario, mostly groomed trails.

One thing I would love is to have a thru axle on the front fork so I could easily take the tire off and put in my hatchback. I do have a great hitch mount rack as well (but a new vehicle and I have to get a new hitch installed, so for now, it's going in the trunk, seats folded down).

I also wouldn't mind having room up front for a wider tire, so I was thinking maybe I could find a used rigid fork somewhere that would allow for thru axle and wider clearance (I know I'll need a new hub from the stock wheelset, that's okay too).

Looking for recommendations on the best/cheapest way to acomplish this. The head tube can take a bluto if I get lower headset cups to adjust, but I don't really need a suspension fork (at the right price I'd do it though).
    Currently has the Enabler fork on it, which is a great fork but I don't need the bosses or anything because I don't bikepack and all my winter rides are 2 hours or less.

Currently running the stock 3.8" Surly Nate tires, they have been great so far and setup tubeless with really low pressures have worked out on my groomed trails, but I'm open to recommendation on a new front as well with a bit more width that would fit in the new fork. I'm planning on keeping the same rims as stock.

Budget would be around $300-400 CAD, not sure if this is feasible but would appreciate your thoughts.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Just curious - why does having a thru axle make taking the front wheel off easier? My 2014 mukluk is QR, and it seems pretty easy. I run a Bud with the stock fork and it has lots of clearance.

blood in / blood out
    Check this fork out.

https://www.the-house.com/qfrcar1501...ike-forks.html

This should get you what you are looking for.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I guess its more of a personal thing. Technically you're right, it's not like its that hard, but I prefer the thru axle approach. Probably doesn't help that my quick release and hub haven't been greased in awhile and are pretty seized up.

mtbr member
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=85783

I put this on my 2015 Mukluk and it is great! Might be a little over budget but itís a great fork. The extra 15% off works with h it so it brings the price way down.

mtbr member
    Best and cheapest way sounds like properly maintaining your wheel and QR. Buying a TA may require buying a new hub or wheel if your existing hub is not convertible to TA. If it is convertible then you have the issue of finding a 135mm TA fork, or using a 150TA fork with spacers. I do that with one wheel and it is a PITA and is NOT easier than a standard QR.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfisher11 View Post
    I guess its more of a personal thing. Technically you're right, it's not like its that hard, but I prefer the thru axle approach. Probably doesn't help that my quick release and hub haven't been greased in awhile and are pretty seized up.
    Traditional quick release is easier to take on and off. On a thru axle you still have to release a quick release lever and then unscrew the axle. Not a big deal but it can be a bit of a pain to re-thread sometimes when it's cold outside. If your traditional quick release suffers from lack of maintenance the thru axle will likely be worse.
    Latitude 61

All fat, all the time.
    No point going suspension and dealing with maintenance if you don't need/want it.

Perhaps find a carbon fork?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfisher11 View Post
    I prefer the thru axle also, but that is because they seem to keep the front from flexing quite as much. For taking the wheel off and putting it back on, I prefer the QR on the front.

Another thing - I wasn't super impressed with the stock front skewer that came on my Mukluk. I replaced it with a rear XT skewer that I had from an old 26" regular mtb.
    Many of them have the same 135mm spacing as the front of your mukluk. The XT skewer works much better!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm intrigued with this fork Djune Trail fork I think you should buy one and let me know what you think. I found a used alloy Bearpaw 150 TA fork (post recall) on ebay, but I was specifically looking for alloy with bottle mounts.

turtles make me hot
    My universal answer to this question is just get a Surly Ice Cream Truck fork. It has a thru axle, fits just about any tire and is bomb proof. Retails just around 100 bucks.

I use Surly forks on everything. I'm even building a skinny 700c pavement bike and I bought a Long Haul Trucker fork for it.

One of my friends needed a rigid 29+ fork for a bike he was building. I suggested a Krampus fork. For some reason he bought a steel Niner fork. The thru axle threads in the first fork were messed up so he sent it back and they sent another. Same issue again. He sent it back and got a refund and bought the Krampus fork. I believe the Surly fork was lighter and cheaper than the Niner fork. You pretty much can't go wrong.
    I like turtles