2013 Mukluk 2-drawbacks?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

2013 Mukluk 2-drawbacks?

Hey guys-I can buy a 2013 Mukluk 2 which was purchased and never ridden for $1200. A few questions as I'm new to the fat bike scene however I have demo'd the mukluk twice and did enjoy it.
    1. Is this a decent price? The bike will come with a Revelate frame bag
    2. Can I add a Bluto fork in the future??
    3. What are some drawbacks/improvements that have been made to the mukluk since 2013?
    I live in Boise, ID-some light snowfall in the foothills around here and as much snow as you could dream of 45 minutes away.
    Thanks for the help everybody!!! I hope to soon join this great group of riders, Nick.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Here's info on upgrading the Salsa Mukluk with a Bluto fork: http://salsacycles.com/culture/rocks...salsa_fatbikes

I have a 2014 Mukluk and have been very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for that CJ-nice to know I can make it work....any thoughts on that price?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksstorm View Post
    Thanks for that CJ-nice to know I can make it work....any thoughts on that price?
    New from a Salsa dealer with a warranty or new from someone's garage without a warranty?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Garage without the warranty.

mtbr member
    A new Muk X7 is $1999. A new Surly Wed is $1500.

Surly was selling new fattys on discount between $799 and $1199. There could be some left???

Get ?em while they?re fat. | Blog | Surly Bikes

So I'd say $1200 for a 3yr old fatty that was in new condition isn't crazy talk, but it's not a smoking hot deal either.

Be honest with yourself as to how well this bike meets all your needs in terms of fit, performance and parts spec. The closer it is to the bike would have bought new from a LBS the more favourably I'd view the price. If you are compromising on anything significant I'd buy something else.

Since you won't have a warranty triple check the frame for any defects.

Check the fork as well: Safety Recall
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Some dealers around the Twin cities might still have stock of the Surleys, but I think they've sold out of some of the offerings. Don't know if you are in the area, still worth a shot though. The Wednesday is one cool lookin' ride.

I'd say if it has a good fork, then it's a decent deal with the frame bag. I don't know the size, but those aren't cheap and a nice extra. I'd like one. The price is def reasonable for my area.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    The 2013 Mukluk is a great Fatty if you want to commute within city, and get regular dumps of snow. The geo is fairly relaxed, so its quite comfy to stay on for long periods of time. I can't remember, but if it comes with BB7 brakes, stick with them till they die; otherwise, upgrade any kind of elixer brakes, and you'll be much happier down the road.

My old store had to constantly bleed and service frozen/squishy hydraulics when the temps dropped below -20*C. Makes for a fun bike packing rig too. The Bluto will be a good upgrade, but its not the not playful bike on the trails. My two cents on that matter.

I would recommend the Wednesday, but after drive train and brake upgrades, you'd be closing up to $1700-1800 easy. Unless you wait to wear out the parts before upgrading anything.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    To be fair, the blowout prices on Pugsley and Moonlanders is a result of overstock on a design that is pretty long in the tooth. I'd expect that you will see these offset designs disappear in favour of the ICT & Wednesday.

That said, $1200 seems a bit rich for a two year old used bike. I'd offer $1000.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have the 2013 Mukluk Ti. I find it a great do it all design. I ride it rear round and have used it for bikepacking too.

I added a Bluto 120mm as I like the geometry slack for snow and trail riding. I also run a dropper post. I switched the rear Alternator dropouts to the through axle kit which stiffens up the rear end a bit. I always found QR out back flexy on fat bikes.

Overall, Salsa made great updates from the original 2011 Mukluk as they added Bluto capability and the Alternator drops. I'd offer $1000 but $1200 isn't way out of line either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post
    I added a Bluto 120mm
    Make sure you keep an eye on the frame. I know that a 120mm fork will void the warranty on the 2014 Muks and I think they recommend only 80mm on the 2013s (might be confusing that with the 2012s). Also someone mentioned the fork recall...recalls never expire even if you don't have a warranty.

Anyway back on topic...I was thinking of selling my 2014 last fall and targeting $1200 including new tires. I ended up keeping it so its worth more than that to me. My buddy picked up an unridden 2015 Muk for $1450 that included a dropper, 150mm front hub, and through axles. Adding those parts will cost you at least $400. So yeah, $1200 seems a little on the high end but if you like how it rides and looks as is, that's what counts the most.

mtbr member
    In December of 2014 I got a 2014 Mukluk for $1100. It was used, but still in great shape. I would offer $1000.