20" kids fat Bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

20" kids fat Bike?

Has there been any more info on the Mongoose kids fat bike, I know there was a pic posted awhile back but haven't seen anything since. Little has been begging for his own fatty for a while know. I believe it was supposed to ship in January, any one have anything it'd be appreciated.

mtbr member
    If you look at the size/weight of most kids who ride 20" bikes, pretty much any 2" tire is gonna make it a fatbike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Exactly. Just get the fattest tire with the most flexible casing you can find, perhaps a wider rim too if you really want to go fat

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The widest true bmx tire of any quality will be 2.4" wide. FAF 2.4 - Fitbikeco.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PSchoolen View Post
    The widest true bmx tire of any quality will be 2.4" wide. FAF 2.4 - Fitbikeco.
    and considering yer most likely talking about a rider who weighs under 100 pounds, 2.4 is pretty fat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My son rides 2.4s on 24" x 47mm trials rims. Tire has a pretty square profile like this. He's a shade over 50lbs and 6-7psi is fine for regular trail use with a smidge of side-wall flex. All told he and the bike weigh less than 80lbs.

Is dang happy!
    20" kids fat Bike?-chromeblue3spdbike_zps3b055c6a.jpg

Walmart used to sell the OCC Schwinn Stingrays with a 3-4" tire from 2004-2006.
    They were horrible to ride but looked cool and dirt cheap.

I hope they make a Walgoose 20" fatbike for kids, it would be 100X better than the full suspension garbage they sell there.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks guys I may see how wide I can go on his Hotrock, I was hoping there would be more info out there all I've heard is 6-speed, disc 20" wall goose supposedly in January. Il try to find the post when I get off work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    let's see;
    185# adult, 15# gear, 35# bike = 235# @5psi= ~ 23 square inch contact patch per tire.
    60#kid, 5# gear, 25# bike = 90# @5psi = ~ 9 square inch contact patch per tire.

So the kids set-up has a contact patch that's about two and a half times smaller than an adults, so if their tire is half the width, it shouldn;t deform to far, even though the diameter is smaller too, which causes the tire to compress closer to the rim.

So I'd say, rather than trying t find a true fat 20" tire with it's attendant weight and stance-width issues, make sure to get the widest tire you can find, with the most supple casing, as the added vertical deformation will increase rolling resistance anyway, and to get the bike with the biggest wheel diameter the child can easily ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard View Post
    let's see;
    185# adult, 15# gear, 35# bike = 235# @5psi= ~ 23 square inch contact patch per tire.
    60#kid, 5# gear, 25# bike = 90# @5psi = ~ 9 square inch contact patch per tire.

So the kids set-up has a contact patch that's about two and a half times smaller than an adults, so if their tire is half the width, it shouldn;t deform to far, even though the diameter is smaller too, which causes the tire to compress closer to the rim.

So I'd say, rather than trying t find a true fat 20" tire with it's attendant weight and stance-width issues, make sure to get the widest tire you can find, with the most supple casing, as the added vertical deformation will increase rolling resistance anyway, and to get the bike with the biggest wheel diameter the child can easily ride.
    ummm, 22 square inches is the contact patch for the tires on a Porsche Carerra GT Why It's Truly Unlikely Paul Walker's Crash Was Caused By Road Dots...

So 23 seems a little high maybe?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    ummm, 22 square inches is the contact patch for the tires on a Porsche Carerra GT Why It's Truly Unlikely Paul Walker's Crash Was Caused By Road Dots...

So 23 seems a little high maybe?
    No, the 23 is calculated the same way. For the car the guy used 32psi and a curb weight of 3300 lbs. He used the front/rear distribution of 42%/58%. You end up with 21.5 square inches in the front and 29.9 in the back. One of the ways that race cars get better traction is that they can sometimes run tires with very low pressure so that the contact patch is much bigger.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    20"x2.5" Onza Sticky Fingers tires on my sonís 20" Ibex mountain bike. Mounted on wide Alienation Runaway BMX rims, provides plenty of float and grip.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

Saw
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I was wondering the same thing. Here are some copies of the photos that someone else posted a while ago. These are custom bikes, not the rumored Mongooses. Still, they are so seriously cool I just had to post them. Salivate at your leisure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20" kids fat Bike?-dsc01494_zps03770100.jpg  

20" kids fat Bike?-dsc01487_zps726696fd.jpg  

20" kids fat Bike?-dsc01492_zps9745916e.jpg  

Saw
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post

I hope they make a Walgoose 20" fatbike for kids, it would be 100X better than the full suspension garbage they sell there.
    I agree. Much better than the 20" FS bikes I bought my boys. Lots of mechanical issues, heavy and too complex for their age. They need something simple, single speed and fat.

By the way, I have to commend the manufacturers for making and marketing the 20" FS bikes and for keeping the price point low. A great concept...heck, I bought two of them, but after real world use and observation in its natural environment, my boys are not able to take advantage of the gearing options or the suspention on the bike. They still can't control it on the trail. I think a fat bmx would be a more elegant solution, providing traction, width and enough "suspension" to control the bike when they hit something solid, like a series of rocks, or something extra soft, like sand or mud. Just my 2 centavos.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have a 20 x 2.5" tire on my unicycle, might be a squeeze in the frame.

Nimbus Cyko-Lite 20" x 2.5" Trials Tire | unicycle.com

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2LO4U2C View Post
    I have a 20 x 2.5" tire on my unicycle, might be a squeeze in the frame.

Nimbus Cyko-Lite 20" x 2.5" Trials Tire | unicycle.com
    Under the specifications further down that page they note that those tires are for the trials-specific 19" diameter size, so they technically wonít fit. The Onza Sticky Fingers are the fattest (with knobby/lugged tread) that are for a true 20" wheel size. Unicycle.com used to sell them, (thatís where I purchased mine) but it seems as though they are no longer carrying them.

At one point I was seriously considering just having a set of 19" trials rims laced up to the hubs for my sonís bike, but was wondering if there would be enough clearance for the stock rear U-brake (front is running a disc), so I just opted for the true 20" size.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Finally found the pic I was looking for.

20" kids fat Bike?-image.jpg

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedeezy View Post
    Finally found the pic I was looking for.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	2073 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	860099
    Walgoose or not, that reeks of radness for a kid of any age (including me, a young 43 year old kid). Once my boys get 5' tall, time to start building up some fatbikes for them. Itís the only way to be sure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    If you look at the size/weight of most kids who ride 20" bikes, pretty much any 2" tire is gonna make it a fatbike.
    My friend I respectfully disagree. I pull my 55lb daughter to school every day on a tag-a-long here in Anchorage. Her supple 2" low psi tire still sinks lower into the snow even after being compacted with my two fat tires. I'd throw money down for a fattire kids bike.
    Still cleaning my Fatback.
    It's a life style.

mtbr member
    My son is still too small but the second he can fit into a fatty he will have one. He absolutely loves mine and hates the fact that he is too small to ride it.
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2019 Salsa Journeyman Apex 650B
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8

Harrumph
    Just ordered a pair of 38mm wide trials rims and tryall Shift front tires for a little Fatty project for my 4yo.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I removed these from my son's 20" GT years ago. That is an unmounted measurement. IIRC they are something like 800g a piece. They've been sitting ever since......
    20" kids fat Bike?-p1100115-large-.jpg20" kids fat Bike?-p1100118-large-.jpg20" kids fat Bike?-p1100114-large-.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Fat bike shipping

Sorry to hijack this thread, but does anyone know any supplier of a Mongoose 20" fat bike that will ship to the UK? Dont mind paying, still cheaper than UK prices. thanks all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Mongoose Pug now available in CANADA!!!!!
    http://www.costco.ca/Mongoose-Boy%E2...100153636.html
    I have two on order for my kids. Finally I don't have to drive to the States to get the kids reasonable fat bike (sorry Specialized but $1200 on a kids bike is just stupid)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGDog View Post
    (sorry Specialized but $1200 on a kids bike is just stupid)
    Norco is coming out with a Bigfoot in Kids size for 2016.

I don't know how it will compare pricewise with the Fatboy 20 or 24, but my Fatboy 24 stock is a full 10 pounds lighter than that Mongoose

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I would love for the kids to have matching Norco's to my 2014 Bigfoot but I can't wait that long as their old bikes are too small. Plus I'm guessing they old roll on a 20" rim for a year or two. I'd like to think I would pony up more for a 24" rimed fat bikes for them.
    thanks for the intel!!!