2 New Fat bike builds- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2 New Fat bike builds

So I've been lurking and reading and studying and calling and I finally decided to build a Fat bike for myself and then the wife jumped in and said she wants one too! that's a good problem to have!
    For myself I decided to build the mythical Sandman Gobi, yes apparently he does exist! and the frame should be ready in another 2 weeks. I also already ordered the Mav SC32 and Speedway's 70mm rims. The rest of the components I am picking slowly as I have some time untill the tires and rear hub are available.
    My wife is a little more complicated: She wants a base Pugs because she is not sure she is going to ride it a lot and may just decide to sell it after a while and she thinks that a less expensive bike is going to be easier to sell. I on the other had am thinking of building an Aluminum Fatback for her because I think I can build an aluminum Fatback for very close to what I can build a Pugs if I use similar components other than the frame and rear hub.
    How would you guys go about this?

thanks,
    Fred
    Last edited by FredBMOC; 11-18-2009 at 09:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    If you keep 'em both symmetrical you'll be able to interchange components in a pinch. Deffinatly a plus.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ward
    If you keep 'em both symmetrical you'll be able to interchange components in a pinch. Deffinatly a plus.
    That is definitely a consideration, I can have only one Mav fork and one set of 29's for both bikes but then we are going to have to fight to see who gets to use them

mtbr member
    i'm doing two bike this winter too and have been going crazy deciding what to build. here's my two cents

Al Fatback for sure, Speedway's price of $600 fork and frame (i think that's right) makes the pugs kind of pointless to me. most people (in AK) don't run the pugs 135mm fork and end up damn near $600 when they buy a 100mm one. the Al fatback comes with a 135mm symmetric fork and the 70mm speedway rims have been more readily available that way. you could always look at the 907 too. but i think their price goes up after 12/1.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FredBMOC
    That is definitely a consideration, I can have only one Mav fork and one set of 29's for both bikes but then we are going to have to fight to see who gets to use them
    If chivalry is still alive, she gets the Mav on the rough rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ward
    If chivalry is still alive, she gets the Mav on the rough rides.
    It's dead

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Did you just order the gobi frame by mail? not worried about sizes etc? There was a talk off test bikes from sandman?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopper_smurf
    Did you just order the gobi frame by mail? not worried about sizes etc? There was a talk off test bikes from sandman?
    I'm 6'4" with 37" inseam so for me I ordered the XL size figuring its going to be ok no matter what, I could be wrong however.....
    Regarding the ordering, I exchanged several emails with Conrad from Sandman during a few days and the communication was excellent so I figured I'd take the gamble on the long distance purchase, time will tell if I lucked out or got screwed ... I just wish the dollar was little stronger these days, it would make the purchase price a lot better!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockraptor5
    i'm doing two bike this winter too and have been going crazy deciding what to build. here's my two cents

Al Fatback for sure, Speedway's price of $600 fork and frame (i think that's right) makes the pugs kind of pointless to me. most people (in AK) don't run the pugs 135mm fork and end up damn near $600 when they buy a 100mm one. the Al fatback comes with a 135mm symmetric fork and the 70mm speedway rims have been more readily available that way. you could always look at the 907 too. but i think their price goes up after 12/1.
    The 907 looks really nice, I have been very tempted by it. I think the price for the AL Fatback might be going up after 12/01 as well.... that is one of the reasons I am going to decide this week or next at the latest, this way I have all options available to me.
    The speedway rims are pricey at $150.00 a piece compared to the LMs but they are pretty nice and I am happy I ordered them but I might skip them and go with the Marges on my wife's setup; I still need to decide exactly what to do on that front.

Fatback
    " I think the price for the AL Fatback might be going up after 12/01 as well.... "

The price of the aluminum Fatbacks will stay at $600 for frame and fork.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thirstywork
    " I think the price for the AL Fatback might be going up after 12/01 as well.... "

The price of the aluminum Fatbacks will stay at $600 for frame and fork.

Great news, I am glad I was missinformed! all we need now are some pics of the beauties in full dress and I am sure they'll be flying out of your shop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It's dead
    Self preservation rules... go to the top of the class....For gods sake, don't mention my name to the wife....

mtbr member
    The speedway 70's are the same price as the viscious 80's drilled. i have the 80's drilled but wish i had gone w/speedway's rims b/c they're lighter and they look nicer. Again a case where I don't think there's a reason to even consider Surly for parts.

Plus you don't want your wife complaining about her heavy wheels, unless of course she's faster than you. then I understand completely.

mtbr member
    The speedway 70's are the same price as the viscious 80's drilled. i have the 80's drilled but wish i had gone w/speedway's rims b/c they're lighter and they look nicer. Again a case where I don't think there's a reason to even consider Surly for parts.

Plus you don't want your wife complaining about her heavy wheels, unless of course she's faster than you. then I understand completely.

She might be... I thought the LMs were a lot cheaper?

mtbr member
    I started to work on picking components for the Sandman Gobi for myself. I am not a weight weenie but I would like to build a special bike since this is the first time I am actually building a whole bike, component by component. Whatever I pick here is going to be very similar to what I will use on the bike for my wife; the build sheet is looking like this thus far:

- Mr. Whirly or Speedway crankset and BB.
    I haven't been able to decide in between these 2 yet. I can get a good deal on the Mr. Whirly's but the Speedway's are SEXY and lighter but also as of yet fairly new to the market and no history on their performance. I wish I had more data to make this decision.
    - 70 mm speedway rims. Any rim tape suggested? I might get the 80 mm fat Sheba's for my wife's bike to be able to compare the 2.
    - Mav SC32 with Mav hub on my bike, the wife is going to have a rigid fork ( I've got to keep the budget somewhat under control!)
    - Formula Bianco Disk Brakes, 200 mm front, 180 mm rear
    - Ergon GX-1 Grips
    - FSA XC-280 Riser bar ( I looked at some fancy Carbon Fiber bars from Ritchey but they add a lot of $ to the build )
    - Drive train:
    Front Derailleur has to be Shimano so its probably going to be the XT.
    Rear Derailleur, I am trying to choose in between XTR, XT, X0, X9.
    they all have pros and cons; I kind of like the Shadow XTs and understand them to be as good as the XTRs of a few years ago. The Srams seem to be less work to keep adjusted and I really like that! I also hate to mix and match the shifters, for the front Derailleur I have to use a Shimano shifter, if I go with Sram I would have to use a Sram shifter for the rear?
    Any thoughts on changes? additions?

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    Man..I read something about mixing SRAM and Shimano here...can't find the thread yet....what about Paul Thumbies?...I bought those for my pugs...but I havenīt tried them yet

I also went for a XT RD.

mtbr member
    I used a ripstop ribbon from the fabric store for rim tape (like $6). works well and is on some of the Speedway bikes (I copied them). Check out tscheezy's pics in the fatbike post, you can see it prett well there.

When using hydraulic disc brakes be sure to use hubs that aren't too wide. The problem I ran into was using DT Swiss 340's which are a couple mm wider than XT hubs. I also used a hydraulic brake with a large caliper so I was having interference with the spokes. had to screw around with spacing the rotor out and some grinding. it was a pain in the ass and not ideal so I would gop with 240's if I did it again. Speedway has Formula's on a few of their bikes with Hadley 100/165 mm hubs and clearance looks fine, as you would expect from pro builds.

I was told the springs in Sram derailluers are stiffer and work better in cold climates because the spring overcomes any icing taht may develop in your cable housing. could be bogus but I only run Sram anyway.

post some pics when you get to building!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo
    Man..I read something about mixing SRAM and Shimano here...can't find the thread yet....what about Paul Thumbies?...I bought those for my pugs...but I havenīt tried them yet

I also went for a XT RD.
    I've been researching and someone suggested this setup as a good one:
    Sram xo twisters and rear derailleur,
    xtr front derailleur and cassette and a da 10 speed chain.
    So my question is: can the sram twist shifters work with the Shimano FD?

edit, just found on the Sram website that i can use the Sram twist shifters with Shimano FD, so I think this might be a good way to go:
    Sram X9 RD long cage, Sram X9 twist shifters and XT or XTR FD
    Last edited by FredBMOC; 11-23-2009 at 08:10 PM.

mtbr member
    I used a ripstop ribbon from the fabric store for rim tape (like $6). works well and is on some of the Speedway bikes (I copied them). Check out tscheezy's pics in the fatbike post, you can see it prett well there.

When using hydraulic disc brakes be sure to use hubs that aren't too wide. The problem I ran into was using DT Swiss 340's which are a couple mm wider than XT hubs. I also used a hydraulic brake with a large caliper so I was having interference with the spokes. had to screw around with spacing the rotor out and some grinding. it was a pain in the ass and not ideal so I would gop with 240's if I did it again. Speedway has Formula's on a few of their bikes with Hadley 100/165 mm hubs and clearance looks fine, as you would expect from pro builds.

I was told the springs in Sram derailluers are stiffer and work better in cold climates because the spring overcomes any icing taht may develop in your cable housing. could be bogus but I only run Sram anyway.

post some pics when you get to building!
    thanks for the insights, I'm planning on using a Hadley 165 hub, hopefully this will give me the clearance I need..

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    edit, just found on the Sram website that i can use the Sram twist shifters with Shimano FD, so I think this might be a good way to go:
    Sram X9 RD long cage, Sram X9 twist shifters and XT or XTR FD
    Nice!!..Ii was going to look later but I'm in the middle of my Monday Cold Case - The Mentalist session! ... hehehe

I know this guy was talking about mixing RDs too...but seem you have a nice set up there... Mine is Shimano Bar-end Shifters + Paul Thumbies...XT RD and SLX FD.

mtbr member
    I can't believe it's been over 2 months since I started this project of building 2 fat bikes but the wait is almost over!
    Sandman finally got the frame done and it should ship to me early next week so in a couple of weeks I should have the last few pieces to start building our 2 fat bikes. Here are a couple of teaser shots for all of you!

mtbr member
    Sandman Gobi
    Aluminum Fatback
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2 New Fat bike builds-freds-frame-2.jpg  

2 New Fat bike builds-p1290046.jpg  

No, that's not phonetic
    That Sandman looks cool, but why did they weld the top tube on upside down?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    That Sandman looks cool, but why did they weld the top tube on upside down?
    The Fatback has the low stand over bowed down TT and the Sandman has the nut crusher bowed up TT.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I rode a Gobi two weeks ago. Being six feet two with a 37" inseam I can tell you that the XL frame fit me excellent. You went for the white powdercoat paint, I assume?

Oh, and I did not feel there was any nut crushing danger ;-)

mtbr member
    orkje,

6'4'' and 37" inseam here so I feel I'll be fine with the XL size and TT shape. Regarding the color, it's actually the bare Aluminum glassbead blasted and then clear coated. Sandman offered to paint it any color I wanted but I liked the idea of seeing the Aluminum underneath the clear coat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orkje
    I rode a Gobi two weeks ago. Being six feet two with a 37" inseam I can tell you that the XL frame fit me excellent. You went for the white powdercoat paint, I assume?

Oh, and I did not feel there was any nut crushing danger ;-)

BikingMoto
    Quote Originally Posted by FredBMOC View Post
    I can't believe it's been over 2 months since I started this project of building 2 fat bikes but the wait is almost over!
    Sandman finally got the frame done and it should ship to me early next week so in a couple of weeks I should have the last few pieces to start building our 2 fat bikes. Here are a couple of teaser shots for all of you!
    I planning to order a Sandman, can you give me if you dont mind your build list of components, my issues or concerns are the 165mm hub, can you get a 165mm in the USA? Who or what company can build the wheelset for me? What about the fork, can I order from them the Flame Answer fork ? Or is there a better option here in the USA? Need your help, you can email me the build list if you dont mind sharing to hjkawas AT gmail
    thanks
    HJ

Members who have read this thread: 0