2 days, 55 miles and some DH with the Bucksaw (and a little with the Fatboy)- Mtbr.com
    Loser

2 days, 55 miles and some DH with the Bucksaw (and a little with the Fatboy)

I just got back from NEMBAFest at Kingdom Trails in Vermont.

Before I get to anything else: if you live anywhere near KT and haven't been there, do it. While their trail system has always been great, it's REALLY great now, they keep improving things and man is it fun right now. I can't imagine how they will make it better, but I'm sure they will.

I rode with a group of four friends who I would consider pretty fast and all decent riders. The trails at KT are a pretty good mix, most are pretty smooth with only roots providing some chatter here and there. There are some pretty decently technical trails over on the mountain side. One of the guys brought a scale and we weighed all our bikes, the Bucksaw was the portliest bike there weighing in at 33.6 lbs. This is not a good thing to know at the start of long days of riding :-D

The Bucksaw was awesome throughout. I led the way most of the time, at no time did I feel like the weight or bike in general held me up at all. That bike is inspiring leaning into the bermed corners at KT, the more I leaned the better it rode. I haven't "strava'ed" there many times, but every time I went out this weekend I set new PRs. I guess the last two times I went I was on my 2010 RIP9 and my 2014 RIP9 - so definitely not "slow" bikes.

We did a pretty massive climb from the top of the chairlift up and again, I had no problem keeping the cranks spinning. I can't think of a time when I climb for longer than that around my house. I was initially worried that the 1x11 wouldn't be low enough - no problem at all.

We did a few lift assisted runs on the mountain and it felt good - unfortunately the lines started getting long and I really didn't get a chance to push it - I'm always a little timid the first few times down. It did feel good cranking through those massive berms and I even caught a little air, which felt good, but I'd need a few more runs to really get that going.

On the technical singletrack it was great - just point and shoot. I had a guy on a 2015 carbon Enduro behind me (I know the Specialized fanboys would take me to task here) and I felt that I was at no disadvantage to him - even though his bike weighed almost 5 lbs less than mine - yeah the rider means more than bike, but I know this guy well and if I was undergunned he'd be all over me, he wasn't.

We did a 35 mile day yesterday and I had no problem leading with the Bucksaw all day. I have done rides of that length before and I was less tired than I thought I would be - I just thought that extra weight I was carrying around was going to kill me - it didn't at all.

It was a great couple of days, I wish it didn't rain today so I could get another day in, but all is good.

Edit: oops - I forgot to add the part about the Fatboy - I brought my Fatboy and took it out for a couple of solo runs when everyone else was hungover or too tired to ride, it was fun and I got a PR on a trail that I rode earlier (and when I was fresher) on my Bucksaw, so I guess the Fatboy is a good bike too :-D

banned
    Sep 2008
    great report and some stout mileage! stoked yer loving the bucksaw!

beer thief
    Yeah John, nice to hear you had a good weekend up there. I missed it as I just returned from a 3 week trip with my lady friend to Utah & back. I did 310 miles in 3 weeks on the BS (and 5800 miles in my van); most of which on what I would consider world-class trails. The bike performed flawless in the full gamut of trail types and conditions. I ripped a FBN rear tire in Buffalo Creek (on a very rocky & tech trail) and had to put a tube in it for the rest of the trip - ended up with 3 or 4 flats on that rear tire but no other mechanicals. My lady had a couple flats also, some of those rocks are sharp!

In its current B+ configuration, the BS is by far the most fun bike I've ever ridden. Light & quick with superb traction, even in loose rotten rock gravel at relatively high speeds. Love this rig.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2 days, 55 miles and some DH with the Bucksaw (and a little with the Fatboy)-russell-mill-c-6-19-15.jpg  

mtbr member
    I was there too. CT represent!!! I didn't demo a Bucksaw, but I should have. I rode a Trek Stache though, and while it was nice, I felt like it was just a slimmed down fatbike.

*Non-fatbike content warning* I was surprised that Specialized didn't have any Enduro's, not even the 29er version. Also Kona didn't have any Process 153's. They said it was not really needed for the trails around KT. I disagree but whatever. I was hoping to ride both bikes there.

I am pretty shot from all the riding, but it was a great time. Looking forward to next year already.

mtbr member
    This weekend I went to Utflukt, Norway's only trail riding festival with about 500 other madmen and -women. I rode my Bucksaw 1 about 120km (75 miles) over 4 days on both smooth forest trails and lift assisted DH runs. Some observations:
    • 120km singletrack over 4 days is pretty darn hard for an average office monkey!
    • The BS shines on gnarly, rocky, rooty, wet, or loose terrain. On smooth singletrack it looses some of it's edge. It's still a great bike, but it doesn't ride all over the narrow tire bikes as it does when the trail gets technical. For the kind of smooth trails they have in Trysil, I'd probably be looking for a 27.5+ bike. Back home the BS is bang on the banana!
    • I've ridden a bit of DH, and had no trouble keeping up on the DH group rides. The BS rides DH very well, but it is a short travel bike. The large tyres still give you a lot of traction and stability, but more travel means more DH speed.
    • I ride Vanhelgas set up tubeless. At around 9psi I rolled as good as everyone I rode with on "normal" 27.5 or 29'ers. Impressive!
    • The BS *looks* incredibly heavy and slow when all you see around you are bikes with 2.5" tyres or less. We all know that it isn't, but it's quite entertaining surprising other riders by simply dropping them on long, hard rides. "You know you're tired when you can't even keep up with the guy on the fatbike!"
    • The Bluto is a bit on the simple side when riding hard and fast. I'd like it both to be stiffer (i.e. 34mm stanchions) and have a more capable damper. I might look at a RCT-3 upgrade if no better fat forks become available this year.

Stisykling og pølsefest - bilder fra Utflukts andre dag | Telex | TERRENGSYKKEL.NO

2 days, 55 miles and some DH with the Bucksaw (and a little with the Fatboy)-img_20150621_133258.jpg

Loser
    I've caught several people off guard who thought they were going to be waiting for "the guy on the FS fatbike", ha!

banned
    Sep 2008
    The
    Quote Originally Posted by 69tr6r View Post
    Also Kona didn't have any Process 153's. They said it was not really needed for the trails around KT. I disagree but whatever.
    Ha, i did 100 miles during the fest a coupla years on my kona jake the snake cyclocross bike with 700x33c at 70 psi. Perfect bike for kt. Darling hill is a no brainer for a cross bike. Ripped moose alley and burn up/down and other mountain stuff as well. You wanna have more fun and get more miles in in a shorter amount of time at kt? Ride a cross bike with canti lever brakes. Braaaaaaaap!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Yeah John, nice to hear you had a good weekend up there. I missed it as I just returned from a 3 week trip with my lady friend to Utah & back. I did 310 miles in 3 weeks on the BS (and 5800 miles in my van); most of which on what I would consider world-class trails. The bike performed flawless in the full gamut of trail types and conditions. I ripped a FBN rear tire in Buffalo Creek (on a very rocky & tech trail) and had to put a tube in it for the rest of the trip - ended up with 3 or 4 flats on that rear tire but no other mechanicals. My lady had a couple flats also, some of those rocks are sharp!

In its current B+ configuration, the BS is by far the most fun bike I've ever ridden. Light & quick with superb traction, even in loose rotten rock gravel at relatively high speeds. Love this rig.

Where did you find a technical trail in Buffalo Creek? I love the place, but it's so freaking smooth, I literally look for roots to run over when I go there just to give my fork something to do.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Where did you find a technical trail in Buffalo Creek? I love the place, but it's so freaking smooth, I literally look for roots to run over when I go there just to give my fork something to do.
    Raspberry Ridge to Blackjack. Blackjack has some gnarly rolls. I agree that a lot of BC is high speed flying on loose gravel. Funny how Curt Gowdy State Park (WY) has somewhat similar topography but uses the rock in much more interesting ways. Love that place. A few of the flats/sharp rocks were at the Lunch Loops in Grand Junction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    The

Ha, i did 100 miles during the fest a coupla years on my kona jake the snake cyclocross bike with 700x33c at 70 psi. Perfect bike for kt. Darling hill is a no brainer for a cross bike. Ripped moose alley and burn up/down and other mountain stuff as well. You wanna have more fun and get more miles in in a shorter amount of time at kt? Ride a cross bike with canti lever brakes. Braaaaaaaap!
    More fun? That's debatable.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 69tr6r View Post
    More fun? That's debatable.
    more fun is mixing things up and freaking riders out as you catch up and blow by them on pretty much a road bike while in the drops. climbs on the thing is just wicked quick. cornering is super fun too. talk about railing it!

Loser
    There are very definitely some trails at KT that can easily be ridden on a HT or cross bike, but there are plenty where I'm sure you CAN ride it, but a FS is way better (for me anyway). Dead Moose Alley is a trail that would be overwhelming on a cross bike - again FOR ME, but it so much fun on a FS bike boosting air and cranking through the rock gardens.

There are a few people around here that I ride with that can really handle the rigid bike in any terrain, I'm not one of those people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    There are very definitely some trails at KT that can easily be ridden on a HT or cross bike, but there are plenty where I'm sure you CAN ride it, but a FS is way better (for me anyway). Dead Moose Alley is a trail that would be overwhelming on a cross bike - again FOR ME, but it so much fun on a FS bike boosting air and cranking through the rock gardens.

There are a few people around here that I ride with that can really handle the rigid bike in any terrain, I'm not one of those people.
    I would pay to see someone ride upper jbar on a cross bike.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    more fun is mixing things up and freaking riders out as you catch up and blow by them on pretty much a road bike while in the drops. climbs on the thing is just wicked quick. cornering is super fun too. talk about railing it!
    You're both wrong. Fun is subjective. It depends on the person.

mtbr member
    Really enjoyed the NEMBAfest @ KT. Looking forward to next year already. But! There weren't many fat bikes to test. Though I did go for a ride on a Foes Mutz.

It really handled great but the seatstays were so wide that they rubbed on my calves with every pedal revolution. - But maybe that was just me.