2.4 tire on fatbike rear wheel- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

2.4 tire on fatbike rear wheel

I think I have a good idea (which historically has proven to be fatal), and I have searched on the forums and online, but I want to make sure I'm not missing some obvious downside.

I have a Gravity Bullseye Monster, which is now my year-round ride. I like the frame, components, etc., but the tires are as heavy as mofos (no surprise there). Unfortunately, they don't shed mud very well, and as a result, the rear has been sort of laterally slide-y in our seasonal NC mud. The front doesn't really give me much trouble, for whatever reason.

My idea is to put a 2.4 Maxxis High Roller on the back. The rim is only 50mm, so that seems like it might work. I know I'll be missing some of the nice things about the float of the width (we have some sand on my trail, and the aforementioned mud), but having better lateral stability and losing almost two pounds of rotating weight at the rear wheel seems like a good trade off!

Back in the day before suspension forks (I'm old) I used to run a "wide" (2.5) Ground Control in the front and a 2.0 in the back to serve the same purpose.

Does my brilliant idea seem workable or am I missing some weird isoceles chainline factor thingee that's going to screw everything up?

Thanks!
    David

mtbr member
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Parker View Post
    I think I have a good idea (which historically has proven to be fatal), and I have searched on the forums and online, but I want to make sure I'm not missing some obvious downside.

I have a Gravity Bullseye Monster, which is now my year-round ride. I like the frame, components, etc., but the tires are as heavy as mofos (no surprise there). Unfortunately, they don't shed mud very well, and as a result, the rear has been sort of laterally slide-y in our seasonal NC mud. The front doesn't really give me much trouble, for whatever reason.

My idea is to put a 2.4 Maxxis High Roller on the back. The rim is only 50mm, so that seems like it might work. I know I'll be missing some of the nice things about the float of the width (we have some sand on my trail, and the aforementioned mud), but having better lateral stability and losing almost two pounds of rotating weight at the rear wheel seems like a good trade off!

Back in the day before suspension forks (I'm old) I used to run a "wide" (2.5) Ground Control in the front and a 2.0 in the back to serve the same purpose.

Does my brilliant idea seem workable or am I missing some weird isoceles chainline factor thingee that's going to screw everything up?

Thanks!
    David
    If I understand you correctly, you just want to take off the fat tire and put a regular 2.4" tire on the same rim? If that's the case, the rear will drop, the head and seat angles will get slacker, and your cranks will be closer to the ground (making obstacle strikes easier). All of this may or may not be an issue if you can adjust to them.

Another thing I thought of is that it will make your tire profile more square, and rim dings can happen more easily because it won't have as much protection from the tire.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'm not too worried about the geometry change or the BB height. Thanks to Swerny's reply, I found a reference to the Surly Dirt Wizard, which I didn't know existed (it's a 26" x 2.75" mudder made for 50mm rims), so I just put one of those on order. Still barely over 1000 grams and should be much better in the mud. If I love it, I might even put one on the front!

mtbr member
    Let us know how the dirt wizards work out. I've been looking at those for a while.

Two Headed Boy
    I would also love to hear about the wizards!
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt