1x9- Mtbr.com

Thread: 1x9

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

1x9

anybody go 1x9 on their pugsley. for use on dry/wet/snow covered trails in western ny

mtbr member
    I have a 2x9, but only use granny when beach riding.
    1x9 works really well from my experience, I use 32 front & deore 36/12 rear for most trail riding
    Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

bikeboatbrewski

Listen!

I am 2x9 with a bash on my Pugs. My bike sees trail duty also. I have ridden 1x9 before, not fat, and concider it the minimum for myself.

Some folks like an IG rear hub like the Alfine 11.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I tried to convince myself 1x9/10 would work for me but was unsuccessful. I find it hard to give up those last couple of gears in the bottom end that the inner ring offers. I'm running 22/32 front with 11-34 on back. I could get the low gears by going to 36 on back and one larger inner ring but then lose a few on top. Not an option I'm willing or strong enough to give up. And I'd a large q factor for no good reason.
    I have seen a custom 28 tooth middle ring for a 94 BCD crankset but that still doesn't quite offer the full range that I like and use.
    The 11 speed Alfine does offer this range. I may try that someday.

Cheesiest
    I'm running 36/22 front and 14-32 rear (6-speed). The only way I could see myself going 1xX would be to go with a 2-speed BB or rear hub with internal 3.

bikeboatbrewski
    One day I would like to see fat bike frames with ISCG tabs to fit a HS up front which could work with a IG hub or standard setup. It ain't cheap or light but seems like it would work well.

I know ISCG adapter plates are available and that someone fabbed up a 100mm HS axle. I myself prefers off the shelf stuff that fits.

Members who have read this thread: 0