1x[??] groupset built around BSA 120mm bottom bracket- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2016

1x[??] groupset built around BSA 120mm bottom bracket

I am thinking of upgrading my drive train (along with a new frame, new tires, new ... ) and I am having difficulty piecing together a basic groupset. It looks like doubles are out so I need a 1x[??] set. 11 speed is fine. 12 speed is fine. I'm not picky. I'm on 10 now with a 22/36 double crank and am generally happy with it.

Can someone from the forum help me with this?

The bottom bracket is threaded, BSA 120mm wide (1.37" x 24 TPI).

The approximate chainline is 74mm according to the frame drawing. I want to run with huge >4.8" wide tires to help me float over quicksand and other super soft surfaces. So, maybe actual chainline would more?

The rear OLD spacing is 197mm with thru-axle hubs.

I am short, standing at 5'6" (168cm) with a 31" (79cm) inseam.

I would really like one of those snazzy 10-52t cassettes and a 32t crankset. That would give me plenty of range for my short little legs to peddle up the 60 degree inclines around here. A shorter crank length of 170mm is preferred. I'm riding with a 175mm crank length now so I suppose I can keep with that too.

One of my big hang-ups is the BSA 120mm bottom bracket. Who makes them? There doesn't seem to be a lot available. Same goes with cranksets. Even if I find a crankset with a wide spindle on a company web site then who actually has it in stock? And then I have to make sure it's compatible with whatever crankset is available.

I wish there was a a complete, all in one kit, that I pull from somewhere. I want to wrench it all together, oogle and gawk it for a while, and go riding. There's got to be enough of these use cases for a manufacturer to come up with a turnkey solution.

A basic alloy system for a BSA 120mm BB is all I need. I don't need anything fancy or ultra lightweight. There's more weight to shed from my butt and waistline than a crank. Besides, all that weight savings vanish once I put my full water bottle in the cage.

Now, if I can pull it from Amazon then I'd be even more happy since I have a few gift cards saved up there. I'm in the US, by the way.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!!

-=- Boris

Rippin da fAt
    One thing to look at is the RF Turbine crankset. 30mm spindle, spindles are interchangeable so a replacement can be installed. This crankset is sized for 197 rear, 170 rear etc. for easy fitment. BB's are available for 30mm BSA in various configurations. These can be either 2x or 1x direct mount chainring. Another plus is they can be had for a reasonable price.
    Should be listings on Amazon.

Check with the RF website for fitment details so you can make an informed selection. If need be, you can reach out to em and they will guide you on what parts and catalog numbers to go with.

Good luck, Boris!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    One thing to look at is the RF Turbine crankset. 30mm spindle, spindles are interchangeable so a replacement can be installed. This crankset is sized for 197 rear, 170 rear etc. for easy fitment. BB's are available for 30mm BSA in various configurations.
    Raceface is a good call -- the charts show the set up for BSA 120mm

https://res.cloudinary.com/fox-facto...nes_omaj5n.pdf
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thanks for the replies!

I saw the RF info before and it started looking good. The tables lead me to a RF189 spindle width.

But ...

RF doesn't have a 120mm bottom bracket listed on their site. The BB Cinch 30 stops at 100mm.

Am I missing something? It wouldn't be the first time.

I sent them an email inviting them to offer me a solution. Maybe they have a 120mm BB but it's not listed on their website.

-=- Boris

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 6BQ5 View Post
    RF doesn't have a 120mm bottom bracket listed on their site. The BB Cinch 30 stops at 100mm.

AFAIK, you use a regular one, but skip the sleeve in between the sides.
    --------------

Thingamejigger
    Thanks for the replies!

I saw the RF info before and it started looking good. The tables lead me to a RF189 spindle width.

But ...

I sent them an email inviting them to offer me a solution. Maybe they have a 120mm BB but it's not listed on their website.

-=- Boris
    For 100mm BB there is a centre tube you fit between cups internally in the BB and you also have two 10mm spacers on the axle to take up the 189mm length.

For 120mm BB's you don't fit the centre tube in the BB, and leave out any spacers on the axle.

Rippin da fAt
    Thanks for the replies!

But ...

-=- Boris
    Frankly, I used a BB30 for a 73mm shell, tossed the tube in the bin. The primary reason for this was saving $30 over buying the correct one.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    For 120mm BB's you don't fit the centre tube in the BB
    Yeah, you see this in the notes online:

Note: Installation on 120 mm shells requires omitting the inner sleeve.
    --------------

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Oh, so itís that simple? I mean, I can just get the 100mm BB cups and toss the inner tube? For some reason I was thinking the bearings themselves would need to be different since they are 20mm further apart.

I have to admit I feel a little silly but a little more schooled. Now I know.

If I can really use a 100mm BSA bottom bracket system then my parts list would be :

Raceface Turbine Cranks, 190 Spacing, 170mm Length

32t Cinch Chainring

Cinch 30mm BSA 100mm Bottom Bracket

(Hopefully I got those links right.)

Does that look right? That would sort out my front end.

-=- Boris

Rippin da fAt
    Should do, Boris.
    Check pricing on bbís in 73mm since you will be tossing the tube. Might save a couple bucks.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Good call on looking into the shorter tube lengths! They are a bit cheaper. Thanks for the hint!

I started my part accumulation. On eBay I ordered an 83mm wide Raceface BSA 30mm Cinch bottom bracket. Then on Amazon I ordered 170mm length Raceface Turbine cranks for a 190mm rear. Both components come from Planet Cyclery.

I was going to add a 32t alloy ring into the mix but got a little confused between the Raceface and Wolf brands. Even SRAM seems to have something that looks like a Cinch mount.

Is there anything more special about one offering over the other? I was thinking of sticking with Raceface but wanted to check with the forum here first.

Thanks!

-=- Boris

Rippin da fAt
    Boris, make certain the ring is listed as a cinch mount. Wolftooth does produce a couple versions, one round, one is oval.
    RF has the option to remove the crank arms from the spindle so it can be used with a different bike with different BB width.
    Doctor recommended...