190mm through axle hub & 10mm horizontal dropout?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

190mm through axle hub & 10mm horizontal dropout?

So I'm having internet issues, and I quite possibly may have missed this topic in my searching. I also didn't know if I should post this here or in the wheel and tire forum, but it's for a fat bike, so here it is.

Is it possible to file the horizontal dropouts on my Motobecane Lurch to fit standard 12mm through axle hubs? I just bought the bike, and I'm hoping to avoid the wheel slippage many people seem to have with the qr axle. A through axle would take care of that, and I don't see any options to just tun a 10mm through or bolt axle. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Maybe doable, but not a good idea I would think.

I'd run a DT Swiss RWS skewer instead. Maybe lightly sand away any paint around the hub/frame interface to give a better purchase with said skewer
    FATTrailer for the kiddo, As Seen on the blue/green trails around Grand Junction now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Id try adding grip tape (anti-slip) on the dropout. Its cheap, nearly invisible and reversible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I use a Hope 9 mm axle in the rear in my Lurch. That fixed the wheel slip issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post
    Maybe doable, but not a good idea I would think.

I'd run a DT Swiss RWS skewer instead. Maybe lightly sand away any paint around the hub/frame interface to give a better purchase with said skewer
    Does the DT Swiss RWS provide increased clampng force? I used one of those years ago. Seemed to increase stiffness, but not sure about clamping force...

Quote Originally Posted by Skookum1 View Post
    Id try adding grip tape (anti-slip) on the dropout. Its cheap, nearly invisible and reversible.
    That's a good idea... Might have to give that a try!

Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    I use a Hope 9 mm axle in the rear in my Lurch. That fixed the wheel slip issue.
    Hope quick-release or a through-axle?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Try a Paul Components skewer. Best skewers I have ever used! Lots of clamping power and a good, serrated surface on the skewer body.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    Does the DT Swiss RWS provide increased clampng force? I used one of those years ago. Seemed to increase stiffness, but not sure about clamping force...
    I was having issues with my SS Pugsley slipping the rear wheel, I was using chain tensioners/burly trailer hitch and would tow the kiddo often and it would slip. It would also slip when not towing kid and hit the brake too hard, both of those were with a Shimano XT or XTR quick release, so a pretty solid QR option. I went with the DT RWS one and no more slipping issues; I can't vouch for increased stiffness (to be fair @150lbs I probably wouldn't notice anyway) but I love how hard I can crank on it. I'd say with all my additional "junk" on my rear facing dropouts (2 tuggnuts/trailerhitch) I am definitely getting more clamping force on it.
    FATTrailer for the kiddo, As Seen on the blue/green trails around Grand Junction now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Will Surly monkey nuts work since the Lurch is similar to a Moonlander & Pugsley frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowfat View Post
    Will Surly monkey nuts work since the Lurch is similar to a Moonlander & Pugsley frame?
    I don't know off the top of my head (quick google image search suggests that it probably would?), I was simply pointing out that I have many additional things on my frame that would make slipping more likely and I've managed to eliminate them.

turtles make me hot
    The Paul's Components skewers are the bomb diggity. DT Swiss RWS are good too.

I have the Pauls on my old 190mm 907 and on my Dahon folder. I was bending and breaking skewers on the Dahon. Paul cured that.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    Hope quick-release or a through-axle?
    QR. Just a straight swap for the stock one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.