190 QR vs. 190/197 TA?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

190 QR vs. 190/197 TA?

....not that I need yet another bike, but you all know how that is.

What's the consensus regarding a 190 QR axel? Something best avoided?

Any comments good or bad would be appreciated.

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    Personally, if given the choice I'd go 197 thru-axle every time, especially on a new bike.

If I were shopping older, used, or for a very specific bike, then I'd be open to what I find...

mtbr member
    I think the old standard 5mm qr skewer in a 10mm hollow axle is fine and worked for many years, but that the stiffness of a larger diameter thru axle is better especially when suspension is present. It's just a better technology becoming more prevalent on current model frames and forks, especially at the higher priced portion of the market.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Anchorage, AK
    190qr allows easier wheel removal and is lighter. It's plenty secure if you have metaldrop outs and put a drop of oil on the cam surface to allow it to be fully tightened.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    If you want Rohloff, you have no choice but to go for 190mm QR (and that's 10190, by the way, not 9190) unless you want to play Rohloff's A12 dropout measurement game that is; if you do, pony up $400 for the measurement kit and keep your fingers crossed.

Music & Bikes
    Last edited by fokof; 08-23-2018 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Doh!
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Professional Crastinator
    I think there is just too much twisting going on with that w-i-d-e dropout spacing to not use a thru axle.

My buddy's Borealis Yampa had the rear wheel (190QR) come loose several times - esp. if you roll backwards on it or pogo.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I think there is just too much twisting going on with that w-i-d-e dropout spacing to not use a thru axle.

My buddy's Borealis Yampa had the rear wheel (190QR) come loose several times - esp. if you roll backwards on it or pogo.

-F
    The QR Yampa had plastic dropouts--flawed design. With proper metal dropouts and clamping this shouldn't be an issue.
    --Peace

turtles make me hot
    I have two 9 Zero 7s. One 190/135 QR bike and one 197/150 thru axle bike. Of course the thru axle bike is slightly stiffer and SLIGHTLY more responsive. I rode the QR bike for a couple of years before getting the thru axle bike and never ever had any trouble with it. In the beginning I ran 907 skewers and now I have Pauls. Those things are the bomb.
    One of my riding buddies has a 190mm Borealis and the rear wheel used to pop out of the stays on climbs. The Paul's skewer stopped that.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Thanks for the insight....

My thoughts on getting QR is that it'd be easier to remove the wheels and transport as a winter ride to avoid the salt that they use around here. Salt is their answer for everything. I have a 197 TA frame, but it's a PITA to swap out wheels as the hubs are 190 with 3.5 mm adapters that are very easy to lose in the snow.

I have an abundance of parts laying around (including the QR adapter). I'd basically just need to get the frame for this build.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Pro-tip:

Use a SRAM derailleur, the "catch" button that locks the pulley hangar forward makes removing/installing the wheel MUCH easier, vs. the Shimano version that even when I turn the clutch to "off", attempts to jam the wheel into the chainstay yoke when removing/installing. For this reason, I moved the Shimano derailleur off my fatbike and onto one of my summer bikes, because the Shimano one would jam my studded tires into the chainstay yoke, scratching it. You have to fight this when using it. The SRAM derailleur makes removing and installing the wheel much easier in the winter with a thru-axle, if you have to take the wheel off.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I would not buy a mountain bike in 2018 that was not through axle. 177 vs. 197 is debatable; QR is not. I still have two QR bikes and they ride just fine, but a QR is an obsolete standard, and I'm not in the business of paying good money for obsolete bikes.

In fact, on edit, I wouldn't buy any bike that was not through axle at this point. Road/gravel/allroad/etc. bikes all should be through axle by now, too.