170mm Rohloff and 150mm SON Dynamo Wheels- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

170mm Rohloff and 150mm SON Dynamo Wheels

There are tons of awesome parts now being made in fat-dimensions. I recently put some upgrades into my 2015 Mukluk and am pretty pleased.

I will start with the 150mm SON Dynamo hub. I paired it with an Edelux 2 front light and a Secula Seatpost Mount rear. Of all the upgrades I have ever put on a bicycle this is by far the best one. The SON hubs are sturdy and function flawless and I have this almost identical setup (different rack mounted rear light) on two bikes now and could not be happier. The hub was paired to a Whiskey Carbon rim to offset the weight increase from the hub.

Being able to pedal out of the house and have lights ready to go and ON, with no charging worries is just priceless to me. Adding in the fact that the lights are really freaking bright, waterproof and infinitely reliable makes this an awesome improvement in my eyes over standard lighting options. I have a Sinewave power converter to add in USB charging functionality but have not wired it yet. It seems easy to do and very small/huigh quality.

The Rohloff wheel has been a bit of a journey. It is also paired with the matching Whiskey Carbon rim, again to offset the weight increase. It was a pain for me, overall, to install. I am not that mechanically oriented and I started with just the laced wheel. Installing and configuring the gripshifters and external gear mech was complicated and quite a bit of trial and error.

Luckily the stock cables were cut to the right length for me to route the cables using the existing guides on the top tube and the seat stay. The Muk has cable guides for 3 cables on the top tube and guides for 1 cable on the non drive side seat stay, this part was easy enough to work and looks quite neat overall.

Once I got it all put together I realized I didn't have a compatible 4 Bolt, Rohloff specific brake rotor, which was a pain. It also cost >$70 which was a bummer and took over a week to arrive. Of course the entire bike was torn down so I didn't ride it that week. It did require at least 1 Rohloff specific Alternator Dropout (with a extra long slot to accept a nub on the hub and rotationally stabilize it), the second one of the pair is the same as the stock one minus the a derailleur hanger. I already had it, so threw it on anyway, even though it was not necessary.

The owners manual was incredibly detailed and covered a seemingly infinite amount of possible installations and options which confused me very much.

Riding: I don't have a ton of miles on it yet, but it works flawlessly. The range of gears far and above exceeds anything I need and the shifting is smooth. I haven't quite gotten used to the grip shifting yet and kind of wish that the retro-thumb shifters weren't so god-awfully expensive, but thats whatever. I like being able to shift while stopped and instantly make big changes with no chance of complication. Its worth noting that you cannot shift at all under heavy load and you MUST stop pedaling for an instant. You quickly get used to this even though it feels a bit foreign at first.

Weight: Im super skinny 6'3", 170 lbs so weight has never been an issue for me, none of my bikes are super light and this one is no exception. I included the finished wheel weights below for those that are interested. I didn't bother weighing the derailleurs, shifters, or other removed equipment.

Overall I am pretty happy with these upgrades, and plan to do some multi day rides this year and put it all to the test.

I wish the Rohloff had come with more than 1 sticker though.... and the SON didnt come with any stickers at all

Weights:

Front wheel with 150mm SON Dynamo Hub - Whiskey Carbon Rim - (32 spokes)
    1351 grams w/out tire (3.01 lbs)
    2832 w/ Van Helga and sealant (6.32 lbs)

-------------------------------------------------

Rear wheel w/ Rohloff 170mm IGH - Whiskey carbon rim - (32 spokes)

2747 grams w/out tire (6.13 lbs)
    4228 grams w/ Van Helga and sealant (9.43 lbs)

-------------------------------------------------

Some very bad pictures:

170mm Rohloff and 150mm SON Dynamo Wheels-12360339_10208332759982719_6898448208819635083_n.jpg170mm Rohloff and 150mm SON Dynamo Wheels-12342825_10208332759942718_5420536111725840308_n.jpg
    I live in Indy and work with the coolest people in the world at TreeStuff.com

Gotta have Bonnervision

Anchorage, AK
    Nice setup. Any extra noticeable resistance from these hubs?
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    There is definitely some resistance from the rohloff in the lower gears. It kinda feels like slush. From what I know this dissipates through break in but never goes away. The SON is imperceptible on any bike to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta have Bonnervision

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    We are talking the really low gears.

Gotta have Bonnervision

turtles make me hot
    I've built some fat wheels with 135mm Son hubs. Very nice parts. I was able to get 13 volts out of them just spinning them in the stand.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have a son dyno hub on my endurance geared 29er and love it. Being able to switch from phone charging to lights is priceless.

Wouldn't need it on a fat bike due to the wide Q hurts my knees for any ride longer than 3 hours.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice setup. I have certainly liked my Mukluk which is setup similarly. No noticeable loss with the Rohloff on a bike with extra stuff packed on, and riding in/on high resistance surfaces.170mm Rohloff and 150mm SON Dynamo Wheels-gopr1468.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have about 1000km on my Rohloff XL, after the first oil change and it's broken, there is a noticeable reduction in drag, smooth and quiet.

I'm curious to hear if your dropouts start to creek, I need to clean and grease mine every couple weeks to keep things quiet. In a typical application, the alternator dropout only sees torque in one direction from the brake caliper, but with the torque arm twisting it the other way, things twist/move ect.

I indexed the torque finger thing so the cables are pointed up a bit.

170mm Rohloff and 150mm SON Dynamo Wheels-20151208_193621.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The dropouts do creak if not tight enough. I'm having a little issue getting the brake aligned perfectly

Gotta have Bonnervision

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Couple other things I did, used V-Brake noodles out of the shifter so the cables fit better with Bar Mits and used one grip shifter specific handle grip and one reg grip. I always get excited when I see other people who have an appreciation for the Rohloff.

170mm Rohloff and 150mm SON Dynamo Wheels-20151121_123610.jpg

Laramie, Wyoming
    bonner1040, I too have the Son dyno hub but I went with a different light. I'm curious about the Edelux 2. As you decrease in speed, at what speed does the light start to flicker or not give enough light to use it solely as your source of light?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

170mm Rohloff and 150mm SON Dynamo Wheels

Tough question. Cause there's a battery for the stand light it compensates for slow speed. It's never been insufficient for me. I have the same light on two bikes. It's an awesome light. Simple and tough. And bright as hell

Gotta have Bonnervision

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    bonner1040, I too have the Son dyno hub but I went with a different light. I'm curious about the Edelux 2. As you decrease in speed, at what speed does the light start to flicker or not give enough light to use it solely as your source of light?
    For what it is worth a Luxor light with a Pd8x hub cuts out at about 4.5 mph.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I had light down at about 2.5mph the other night.

Gotta have Bonnervision

mtbr member
    Nice thread; I don't know how I missed it. I've been running a Rohloff 170 since late October and like it a lot. I chose not to run a rear brake, because for one it's unnecessary, and two, it's 2016 and Rohloff can machine a new part for the 6-bolt standard for f's sake. Yes, setting up the cables is tricky- I had a friend help, because damn.

I guess the biggest issue has been learning how to shift at the 12 o clock and 6 o clock pedal positions. I always want to shift as I enter the power stroke, and it locks me out now and then. It's totally workable, if I'm not sloppy.

The great part about the low range being harder to pedal is that in road riding you're almost always in high range, and when you're off road there's enough resistance elsewhere (at the tires) that you don't notice the extra drag. When you're that low in gearing, you're more concerned with doing work than going fast.

That, and having a single speed chain that doesn't get completely filled with mud offsets a couple percent in drivetrain efficiency "loss" with the IGH.

Thanks for the info on the dynamo hubs; I was considering a Sturmey when building my wheelset but ultimately went with a Surly hub. It would be really nice to have bright lighting with zero battery anxiety, since I only have about 2.5hrs on full brightness (old Serfas 250). Something to think about for the future!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas
    Pedal-powered tractor!

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    For what it is worth a Luxor light with a Pd8x hub cuts out at about 4.5 mph.
    Lars, I wouldn't consider that to be good enough for a fat bike.

Quote Originally Posted by bonner1040 View Post
    I had light down at about 2.5mph the other night.
    I also have light down to 2.5 mph. It's not a ton of light but it's enough to go 2.5 mph with. That and my small Black Diamond headlight worked great at the Arrowhead this week. After it got light an hour into the race and I had a few people mention that my light was still on, I left it on just to see how many comments I would get. I got a lot of concerned, "Hey, your light is on", comments.

Anchorage, AK
    Lars, I wouldn't consider that to be good enough for a fat bike.

I also have light down to 2.5 mph. It's not a ton of light but it's enough to go 2.5 mph with. That and my small Black Diamond headlight worked great at the Arrowhead this week. After it got light an hour into the race and I had a few people mention that my light was still on, I left it on just to see how many comments I would get. I got a lot of concerned, "Hey, your light is on", comments.
    What light are you using?
    --Peace

Laramie, Wyoming
    Lars, I'm using the SON hub and the light from Kerry Staite.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Lars, I'm using the SON hub and the light from Kerry Staite.
    Thoughts on that light? Are you using a taillight? USB charging? The Kerry Staite switch?

Gotta have Bonnervision

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    running a rohloff and dyno on my Krampus.
    Using the Exposure Revo light. Taillight when I'm not running bikepacking kit.
    USBWerks to charge. 3d printed my own switch housing for the USBWerk to toggle between light / charge (Revo does not have on / off switch).

3D printed dyno switch housing wired up for Exposure Revo and USBWerk. by Mike, on Flickr

IMG_5067 by Mike, on Flickr

IMG_5122 by Mike, on Flickr

On my gravel / rando bike I have a SON and LuxosU with Secula taillight.
    Been a longtime dyno user for rando stuff. Back to the dual halogen and SON days.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by bonner1040 View Post
    Thoughts on that light? Are you using a taillight? USB charging? The Kerry Staite switch?
    Yes, I'm using a usb rear light and his switch. The light works well. Kerry is suppose to be coming out with another light to work in combo with this light and I'm going to be interested in how that will work.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    The thing I found with my Supernova Pure is that mounting it on the handlebars put it too high. I think most of these lights are meant to go lower on the bike. What mount are you using in the OP? Looks like it drops the light at least a couple of inches.

I can't believe I found something to spend another $700 on.

I see Shutter Precision is coming out with a hub, so maybe only $600

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I am using the handlebar mount for that white that is provided by Peter White. I also have the same light mounted on the fork of another bike and that works very well.

No Joke..

dynamo lighting is the best money you could ever spend on a bike

Gotta have Bonnervision

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Definitely get the SON.

Gotta have Bonnervision

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    thanks for the reply. I've been really happy with my SP hubs, so it really depends on the cost. The fatbike is the only one of my bikes that doesn't have a hub dynamo, so I have been plotting to see how to get one on there. Didn't realize that people were going to be making 150mm hubs this soon.

Couldn't figure out the handlebar mount that goes with the Edelux, PW doesn't have anything on the edelux page

Laramie, Wyoming
    You'll get away cheap at only $700. Don't forget you'll need a nice battery pack that you can charge during the day while you aren't running the light. That should add another $100.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    thanks for the reply. I've been really happy with my SP hubs, so it really depends on the cost. The fatbike is the only one of my bikes that doesn't have a hub dynamo, so I have been plotting to see how to get one on there. Didn't realize that people were going to be making 150mm hubs this soon.

Couldn't figure out the handlebar mount that goes with the Edelux, PW doesn't have anything on the edelux page
    Mounting Lights from Peter White Cycles

It is the one pictured on that page.

Gotta have Bonnervision