mtbr member
    Jul 2011

150mm (hub) straight steerer carbon fork?

So I finally came over to the fat side and pulled the trigger on a "new" 2018 Surly Ice Cream Truck in banana candy yellow. I bought it mainly to ride in the New England winters because not riding for 3-5 months out of the year has been killing me the past couple of seasons.

I haven't been able to ride it much because I haven't had a reason to yet, and hopefully won't for a few more months, but I've been pleasantly surprised by it. It's a solid yet nimble bike for as big/heavy as it is.

I've already started planning some upgrades. Going to put some older SLX brakes on it, add an external dropper, convert it to a 1x, and set up tubeless.. but the one thing i'd really like to upgrade above all else is the fork.

As cool as the cromoly steel fork with a millions braze-ons is, I probably won't be using them. Upgrading to a lighter fork makes a lot more sense as it should, with the other upgrades, allow me to be a little more aggressive with the bike.

There are a ton of aftermarket carbon forks out there, but I can't seem to find any with 150mm hub spacing and a straight steerer tube. Looking for advice / suggestions.

Does anyone know of anything that will fit, or is there another solution like a headset designed for tapered steers in straight headtubes?

Open to anything.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Should have a 44mm headtube, run a 1.5 crown race on the lower cup to run a taper fork. Do some research.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tower View Post

Open to anything.
    lots of options out there, but i would think the droid you are looking for is the RSD carbon fork. AC is 490 which is perfect for the ICT. add a cane creek 1.5 crown race and you are golden.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Whisky is a good option.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    According to the surly website, for the "legacy" banana yellow ICT, it comes with a Cane Creek 40, EC44 headset, which I think means that technically you have a "External Cup" (EC) 44 headset but with the bearing/adaptor to run the straight steerer which is a 30. If you look around you can find EC44/30 Cane creek headsets; so I think that you could just buy the correct lower bearing 1.5" for the 44 headset cup you already have. Make sure to get the matching 1.5" crown race, and then you have all the fork options available to you.
    Or, as Rodney stated, find one of them thar RSD carbonium forks
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

turtles make me hot
    Carbo'Beast Fork - Carver Bikes

Like Jason said, with the correct headset, you can run tapered.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    ^^^ This. Then you can look at the Framed carbon fork as well. Light, a bargain and tough.
    "Wait- I am confused" - SDMTB'er

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Carbo'Beast Fork - Carver Bikes

Like Jason said, with the correct headset, you can run tapered.
    I bought the Popeye fork. Really like it.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Salsa or Whisky carbon fork. Headset should be all set...you will need the 1.5" Cane Creek crown race.