135mm rear Spacing + Clearance- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

135mm rear Spacing + Clearance

I am a half-a$$ed snow biker looking for a little extra clearance. Right now I am running a really old Moto frame because it was $20 and I could fit a 26x25 in it... barely. I am running a Larry up front on a 44mm snowcat

So, is there a frame that has the rear clearance to fit a Larry on a 44mm snowcat + 135mm hub? I don't care about shifting. As long as the chainline passes the tire... that is all I need.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I'm wracking my brain on this one - I thought there was a builder who offered a steel frame with an 83mm BB shell and no offset. I thought I remembered sending him an email, and getting no response.

I can tell you from my virgin fat frame build experience that you'll want a 56mm chainline.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OmaHaq View Post
    ...is there a frame that has the rear clearance to fit a Larry on a 44mm snowcat + 135mm hub? I don't care about shifting. As long as the chainline passes the tire... that is all I need.
    I'm curious. What are you looking for in such a frame when the Pugsley, 9:Zero:7, etc are available and take 135mm hubs?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Frank the Builder made frames for the High Intensity Bike Shop that supposedly didn't have offset. I don't think they offer them anymore. I'm not aware of any other non-offset frame that can fit a 3.5" tire (88mm - Larry on narrow rim). 3" is about the biggest.
    I've thought a lot about this and was in the queue for a custom frame before being derailed by a divorce. My thinking was that you could do this with a Rohloff or by running a few cogs on a single speed hub (54-58mm chain line). The only advantage is a slightly narrower q factor.
    In the meantime I bought a used Pugsley. I love it and have grown to appreciate the elegance of offset design and the ability to run 135mm hubs. I haven't ridden it on long tours but don't notice the wider crank width on shorter rides.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    vt mike had a custom done. not sure on the bb length. he's running a 9spd cassette with cogs removed.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...5&postcount=44

Cheesiest
    Quote Originally Posted by nm13 View Post
    Frank the Builder made frames for the High Intensity Bike Shop that supposedly didn't have offset. I don't think they offer them anymore. I'm not aware of any other non-offset frame that can fit a 3.5" tire (88mm - Larry on narrow rim). 3" is about the biggest.
    I've thought a lot about this and was in the queue for a custom frame before being derailed by a divorce. My thinking was that you could do this with a Rohloff or by running a few cogs on a single speed hub (54-58mm chain line).
    Sorry to hear about the divorce.

I have a Hope SS hub with 6 cogs. It works great. I would love a Rohloff, but they are so expensive.

I've been talking with Phil wood about a slightly narrower BB spindle.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    nm13, that's the name I was trying to recall, thank you.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Yea, I knew it was a long-shot and that I should probably just take the full on plunge and get a 907. About the closest thing I've seen is a 1x1, but max w/44mm snowcat is a 3.0 on there.

Sorry, just trying to be thrifty and utilize what I have.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.